SASS Wire Forum

Which back-up first?

Shooting Bull

Since the economy is down, we all need to do our part to help bring it back up. My best suggestion is to buy more guns. I'd be willing to bet my next paycheck that everybody here has their main match guns already so that brings us to the subject of back-up guns. You know darn good and well SOMETHING'S going to fail, probably right in the middle of a really big match. But the question is, what? Which gun(s) are the most likely to fail? If you could only back up one of your main match guns (I'm counting the pair of pistols as one gun here.), which would it be first? Would you buy a second rifle, shotgun or another pair of pistols?

Ooh! Buying more guns, one of my favorite things to do!

I guess it would depend on the kind of guns I have as primaries.

If I already had Ruger pistols and a Marlin rifle I would get a backup shotgun.

If I had Colt clone type pistols as primaries I would vote for a second set of pistols.

If my primary rifle was a Henry, '66 or '73 Winchester then I would think about a backup rifle.

Rifle or shotgun is more likely to fail IMO. I've had stuck cases in my '73 and one barrel not fire with shotgun. Never had a problem with the pistols. I'd say which of the two (rifle, shotgun) to narrow it down to would depend on what you have.For example, if you shoot a Marlin rifle and a Stoeger shotgun I'd get a backup shotgun. If you shoot a '73 and a '97 I'd get a backup rifle.

Rifle or shotgun is more likely to fail IMO. I've had stuck cases in my '73 and one barrel not fire with shotgun. Never had a problem with the pistols. I'd say which of the two (rifle, shotgun) to narrow it down to would depend on what you have.For example, if you shoot a Marlin rifle and a Stoeger shotgun I'd get a backup shotgun. If you shoot a '73 and a '97 I'd get a backup rifle.

and i would do exactly the opposite. :P

Back-up?

Heck, just buy more guns so you have many back-ups!

Back-ups to yer back-up.

You get the picture!

I did my part!

--Bought a new Codymatic 1873 :D

--Bought a new Uberti 1876 :P

--Bought a couple of Uberti 1848 pocket pistols :ph34r:

--Bought a used Henry :lol:

Safe is overflowing! :lol:

Maybe buy another safe! :P

:ph34r: Dawg :ph34r:

I use Ruger's, Marlin and a 97'

Because I have spare parts for the Marlin, and probably won't ever break a Ruger, I would (and already have) buy a backup SG.

The thing most likely to break in a Ruger would be the transfer bar which can be replaced in a matter of minutes.

The things most likely to break in a Marlin would be the ejector and 'maybe' the extractor. If the Marlin is already properly setup and tuned, you shouldn't have a problem with the jam.

That leaves the 97. Who knows what can go wrong with it. Soooooo, I own 5 of them. Four are battle ready.

I dry fire one that has given up the ghost and decommissioned (no firing pin)

I live fire one for practice only.

The other 3 are my main match guns. As a GF, I can shoot two of them at the same time. The 3rd one is when I really want to show off.

..........Widder

I have backups for my backups. But I would keep looking for a brass 92.

Rifle.

It is the most picky on ammo. So having a backup that you know will eat your ammo is a big plus.

If one goes down. Others will loan you one most times. BUT. Your ammo may not run in there gun. So

then you have to borrow ammo also. I will loan my rifle out. But only if you use my ammo. And not as

fast to loan it out as the pistols or SG.

Pistols will eat any ammo in the right caliber. Same with SG.

But then if you shoot a 97.

You already know you need atleast 3-4 of those to keep one running anyway. :lol::ph34r:

If ya shoot colts/clones, ya might could lose a spring during a match.

If ya shoot roogers, fuggedaboudit.

If ya shoot a '97, it could go bye bye at any time. A SXS is less likely to quit on ya, and spare pieces would be cheap and easy enough to have on hand and install in the field.

If ya shoot any rifle at all it could give ya fits at any time, so yeah buddy, a spare rifle would be my first concern (and is in fact the only spare I have, as rifle issues can be a pain to figure out, may not be amenable to field fix, etc.)

1st - Rifle/they seem to breakdown the most at an inopportune time. Also, IMO the gun sensitive to individual likes.

2nd - Shotgun/only because they seem to be the gun breaks 2nd most.

3rd - Pistols/other than the ones used for BP, they seem to break the least, although they rank 2nd in sensitivity to individual likes.

The above is strickly my opinion and should not be construed as a guide. ;)

Rifles, well if they existed I would not mind a 20" Uberti brass frame Henry in 45 with a short carrier and a '76 long barl Uberti in 45-75. Pistols is a short list, a 3rd Model Uberti Dragoon. Shotguns are hardest of all, one that functions after beind tuned!

Just had to do it... .RIFLE....'73 is a beautiful thing when she's running. When she's not it's 10/9/8/7.... left in the tube.

Only got one rifle right now...so that's a given "honey do" fer me. Already got 2 pair of C&B's, a SxS, and a '87 - so I figure I'm pert well covered there..........fer now.

Well ....... I already have back-ups to back-up my back-ups. So I just bought a new set of handguns to back-up all the other back-ups but ......... I feel the need for another hammer double. I have a primary and a Back-up, but I feel a real need for a Pioneer hammer double. Then the Pioneer would become my primary and by default, my "other" hammer doubles would become back-ups. I already have a primary Henry and three back-ups, a '66 with two back-ups and a '73 with two back-ups. I now also have a need for a Marlin, so I'll need two. One for back-up you see. But ........

Since I work on guns every day, none of my primaries, or back-ups, or back-ups to the primary back-up have ever packed-up. :rolleyes: So .........

I just keep buying guns because the little voices in my head keep telling me to .................. and ....... Chocolate is a FOOD GROUP!!

Coffinmaker

PS: I think Dawg & I both screwed the pooch with "Murphy." Knock on Wood ...........

Just had to do it... .RIFLE....'73 is a beautiful thing when she's running. When she's not it's 10/9/8/7.... left in the tube.

GREAT, for 7 years I've shot a Rossi. All I've hear at matches was, "you really need to get a '73." Posts on the WIRE, ...Rossi's always having problems... step up to a '73. Well, I decided to do just that. Since I've ordered it, all I read is .... '73 jamming problem...Lever doesn't work.....rounds won't feed.....and now this. You guys are killing me

Guest Copper Mart

Oooooh..... More new guns. First a slicked up 73, 18" or so barrel. Shotguns I have too many (hard to believe). But I'm heading for Phoenix during WR and hope to come away with the 73, a pair of Bisleys and (if they're available) a 7 1/2" Evil Roy Uberti to match the one I already have. That will give me about twice as many as I can push in a wheelbarrow. Once I have these, I can take a vacation from the gun shops and color page ads. Maybe even a month or two. Next week I'm hoping to have time to take my trapdoor in to have a sight mounted. That should set me up for the year.

Mart...

For my SASS guns I have the following with (on the right) their respective back ups.

A Pair of 45 LC Ruger Bisley Vaquero's..........Another Pair of 45 LC Ruger Bisley Vaquero's

A Stoeger 12 ga SXS..........An IGA 1887 Copy in 12 ga

A Rossi 1892 45 LC Carbine..........(no back up as yet)

Newly Acquired Rock Island 1911 45 ACP..........(no back up as yet)

I still need a back up SASS rifle, but in just starting to gather guns for the Wild Bunch (my 1911) I find that my Rossi 92 may work for a rifle but it looks as though I may be in need of another shotgun as yet. The way I read the book I may have to buy an 1897 to have the minimum guns I need to get started in WB. Any direction here would be appreciated. Smithy.

Aaahhhh...Here's the beauty of having your spouse shoot with you all the time.

Our rifles and shotgus are pretty much tuned for both of us so if my rifle goes down I can always shoot hers and vice versa. Same with the '97s.

Tenshot doesn't really like my Bisleys so we have a bunch of back up pistols. I can shoot a regular plowhandle so it doesn't bother me.

I think that when we get home we might look for another SxS. Something different than the hammered SxS we have now.

I'll definately be looking to upgrade some pistol grips to Bar S Grip Tru Ivory or maybe splurge on a set of genuine elephant ivory.

Howdy

I always drag along a pair of Rugers to every match in case a spring lets go in my Colts. This year was the first year (since 2001) I actually needed the Rugers; the trigger/bolt spring broke in one Colt at one match, and the bolt broke in the other at another match.

A few years ago the barrels of my SXS separated from the forearm lug underneath. Of course that shotgun was made around 1906, and was never intended to be shot so much, so it was understandable that it might fail. Before I had finished the stage no less than three cowboys offered to loan me their shotguns to finish the match.

One of my first years in CAS the hammer spring in my '73 snapped in half. Luckily I had my '92 in the car.

So let's see. Statistically I went about five years each before having a pistol break down, and ten years without needing a spare shotgun or rifle. Besideswhich, all my Uberti rifle mainsprings get ground down now to eliminate the poor finish that Uberti puts on them which makes them susceptible to breaking.

So if you are looking for justification for new guns, statistically it ain't there.

Of course buying new guns because you want to is another story.

P.S. If you do break a gun, if you are shooting a common cartridge, there is a better chance you will be able to finish the match with a loaner. If you are shooting Black Powder in 44-40 (like me) you might have a little bit more difficulty.

Knock wood.

GREAT, for 7 years I've shot a Rossi. All I've hear at matches was, "you really need to get a '73." Posts on the WIRE, ...Rossi's always having problems... step up to a '73. Well, I decided to do just that. Since I've ordered it, all I read is .... '73 jamming problem...Lever doesn't work.....rounds won't feed.....and now this. You guys are killing me

Over five years shooting a 73 in 3-5 matches per month. One time a (hammer?) spring broke...the monkey got choked and we all went to heaven in a little row boat. :D A pard let me shoot his rifle in the rest of the match. Nowadays, I'd just shoot Sugah's 66.

Ruger pistols from the beginning. Never had the slightest problem.

97...now that's a different story. Love shooting a 97, but they're gonna lay down from time to time. I've got a a brand new nineteen sixty two SKB that I'm attempting to learn to shoot...not because of problems with the 97, but because of problems with my elbows.

Somebody help me out. Who was the comedian from the late 60's and early 70's who would talk about his "brand new 1957 Ford?"

Our rifels and shotgus are pretty much tuned for both of us so if my rifel goes down I can always shoot hers and vice versa.

As logical as that sounds, there's still a problem and I've lived it. When all of our guns are working I can blame the guns for the reason she out shoots me. The times I've had to borrow hers or vice versa, my excuse whent out the window. :(

I've got

Rugers (box stock) - no problems, no backups

Marlin (tuned by Jimmy Spurs) - no problems, no backups

TTN - one problem, fell apart on me once, my fault for failing to check screws now and then, no backup.

I do want a hammerless SxS soon though, not because I feel the need to back up my TTN, just for something different and for when I'm feeling extra gamey.

Our rifels and shotgus are pretty much tuned for both of us so if my rifel goes down I can always shoot hers and vice versa. Same with the '97s.

Tenshot doesn't really like my Bisleys so we have a bunch of back up pistols. I can shoot a regular plowhandle so it doesn't bother me.

I think that when we get home we might look for another SxS. Something different than the hammered SxS we have now.

I'll definately be looking to upgrade some pistol grips to Bar S Grip Tru Ivory or maybe splurge on a set of genuine elephant ivory.

My wife shoots. And we use some of eachothers guns as backups.

But my problems is. Wife shoots Blackhawks. Not legal in Duelist. :(

So for big matches I have to carry something else for my backup.

Now she is going B-Western. So she can no longer use my 73 for a backup

to her Marlin.

So I may end up getting anohter Marlin to give us 3 SASS rifles.

But that's OK. Don't mind having another one around.

But then. I also want another SKB. :unsure:

So looks like two more guns. :)

Between her new rig, a backup rifle and new B-Western boots and outfits.

Looks like I am going to have to wait on that SKB.

I have no backups

In almost 10 years I have never needed one

I put the jinx on that didn't I?

Oh! I am so sorry you said that... And on a Friday before a match too!

Good luck.

Olen ;)

As logical as that sounds, there's still a problem and I've lived it. When all of our guns are working I can blame the guns for the reason she out shoots me. The times I've had to borrow hers or vice versa, my excuse whent out the window. :(

I've run across that problem meownself a time or twa.

But it's fun to be proud of her ;)

Since the economy is down, we all need to do our part to help bring it back up. My best suggestion is to buy more guns. I'd be willing to bet my next paycheck that everybody here has their main match guns already so that brings us to the subject of back-up guns. You know darn good and well SOMETHING'S going to fail, probably right in the middle of a really big match. But the question is, what? Which gun(s) are the most likely to fail? If you could only back up one of your main match guns (I'm counting the pair of pistols as one gun here.), which would it be first? Would you buy a second rifle, shotgun or another pair of pistols?

Well, you can PM me and I will give you my address for your paycheck. I still need a shotgun before I'm loaded out. Hopefully it will be enough to cover getting one! Pretty darn thoughtful of you, thanks! Then I can start worrying about back-ups.

Archived