SASS Wire Forum

Which back-up first?

Shooting Bull

I do want a hammerless SxS soon though, not because I feel the need to back up my TTN, just for something different and for when I'm feeling extra gamey.

Why is it when I feel extra gamey, I also smell extra gamey?

I haven't had a shotgun or rifle fail at a match (knock on wood). Pistols on the other hand have.

I have had the hand spring on my 1851 Navys break on the first stage. I've had a firing pin start to stick in primers and also start to give light primer strikes. I've had ejector rods go flying down range. At least one bolt spring has snapped on me. And the rarest of the rare I have had a main spring snap (Euroarms Roger & Spencer).

I never go to a match without three revolvers.

Well, you can PM me and I will give you my address for your paycheck. I still need a shotgun before I'm loaded out. Hopefully it will be enough to cover getting one! Pretty darn thoughtful of you, thanks! Then I can start worrying about back-ups.

Me? Send you my paycheck? Pard, I'm married. I haven't seen my own paycheck in 26 years. :o

Me? Send you my paycheck? Pard, I'm married. I haven't seen my own paycheck in 26 years. :o

Why do you think I am still in need of a shotgun?

Over five years shooting a 73 in 3-5 matches per month. One time a (hammer?) spring broke...the monkey got choked and we all went to heaven in a little row boat. :D A pard let me shoot his rifle in the rest of the match. Nowadays, I'd just shoot Sugah's 66.

Ruger pistols from the beginning. Never had the slightest problem.

97...now that's a different story. Love shooting a 97, but they're gonna lay down from time to time. I've got a a brand new nineteen sixty two SKB that I'm attempting to learn to shoot...not because of problems with the 97, but because of problems with my elbows.

Somebody help me out. Who was the comedian from the late 60's and early 70's who would talk about his "brand new 1957 Ford?"

I went to the loading table at stage 5 or 6 at the US Open and discovered that my 66 mainspring was broken. I borrowed a replacement, grabbed my tool kit, flagged down a golf cart for a ride to the work area, replaced the spring, back to the stage and only lost two positions at the loading table. Needless to say I have a spare in the tool kit now.

I shoot 1860 Armys and have seven as back ups. Two go with me every where. My shot gun is a Baikal so I would probably back up the rifle first.

Back up the one that you don't want to wear out. Use the back up for practice sessions to reduce the wear and tear on your finely tuned main match gun.

I have a '73 that was tuned by Lassiter. It has never failed. I don't want it to fail. So I bought an old '66 to practice with and use in monthly matches. Saving the Lassiter for those matches where I have an ego investment.

All mechanical devices fail eventually. That does not mean we should not try to delay the inevitable.

Rifle first. At the Givhan's Ferry SE match this fall, three shooters had rifle malfunctions in the shoot-off.

The '97s weak point is the ejector. These can be bought for $1-2 each and repalced w/o disassembly.

I also shoot an original '87 and always take a backup for that gun.

SxS's can go bad. There is usually no fixing them at a match unless the problem is the firing pin backing out.

My vehicle gun is a SAA clone, se I always have that as a backup if necessary.

Which gun you first purchase a backup for will depend on the guns, but you can figure that if you have a backup for one, one of the others will be the one to break.

Over the years the only problem I've had has been with shotguns. Settled on SxS's and several years ago went to SKB. Have 2 exactly alike, problem solved :rolleyes:

I shoot LongHunter Rugers have 3. Bought one (a year ago)as backup to the original pair. Have not shot it after I did a little POA adjustments. I also have a pair of 73's. One Taylor and one Cimarron....never had a problem with either one of them.

Nothing more needs to be said...these all work for me and have been trouble free. I don't practice much, but shoot on average 3 weekends a month and go to 4 or 5 annual shoots a year.

In 8 years I have changed guns 20 times or more and do not see me doing any more changing.

I :wub: shooting FC Duelist, it's a hoot :lol:

All things being equal, you have a 25% chance of one of your four guns failing. But you have two revolvers, hence, all things being equal, the odds of a revolver failing are twice as high as one of your other two guns.

If you shoot a '97, back it up first.

I've never had to swap out a Ruger revolver at a match, although I once had the solder joint holding the ejector housing screw stud in place fail and the parts fly downrange.

I HAVE swapped out the shotgun, I HAVE swapped out the rifle, and I HAVE swapped out Italian revolvers.

J Bar , I am replacing my main guns with 3 main guns .my main guns now will be my back ups.

Archived