SASS Wire Forum

Award Belt Buckles on SG & Gun Belts

Blastmaster

When you are at a match and a Pard-Pardette walks by with a big shiney belt buckle displayed in full glory. Which award buckle(s) impresses you the most or you wish you had?

Blastmaster

Edit: I suppose we could skip right over the obvious ones, such as the 1st place winners of Winter Range & EOT. :rolleyes:

None.

I have no envy of what others have achieved. While I may admire the fact that they have done well, I proudly display what I have accomplished according to my own whims.

None.

They just look too gaudy and 20th Century to my way a thinkin'.

And before someone accuses me of being jealous because I never won one, that honestly ain't the case. If I had one I would only wear it on street clothes. Or set it onna shelf.

And it ain't that I look all that 19th Century meowndangself, but those big ole gaudy rodeo buckles just ain't my tin cup of Arbuckles. If others like to sport 'em and admire 'em on others well then that's just james dandy too.

None.

I have no envy of what others have achieved. While I may admire the fact that they have done well, I proudly display what I have accomplished according to my own whims.

+1

I which buckles around all the time.

P.S. Would really like to win Duelist at Texas State.

If I ever do. You can bet there will be a buckle. And I will wear it proudly. :rolleyes:

Yes the slippery slope that Blast Master so dearly loves. Well my friend I imagine that wearing a buckle might seem to some like walking down the street with my arms full of the miscellaneous trophies I have come to acquire for others to admire. Belt buckles are in a slightly different category they not only are trophies but they help hold my pants up. That I guess is what gives me the excuse to parade the award I’m the most proud of and that is my State buckle. To win overall or in category in a major match is a tremendous achievement one that costs a great deal in time, effort and money. I for one am proud of the three regional and five state category wins but my state overall is the best. It’s the best because these are the people I’m around most of the year and I like and respect them. To have a clothing accessory that I can wear that shows that pride makes me happy and to have edged my best friend out by 4 seconds to get it doesn’t hurt either. The trophies are the fruits of my labors and I don’t display them any more than I display the results of my military efforts or the efforts of the rest of my life, save one, the state buckle.

Any buckle that Goody proudly displays is my favorite!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Two Gun

YEP!!!ExactlyTwo Gun

My favorite line to start a stage is "Goody is my hero!" (Makes the RO and spotters laugh so hard that they can't see misses or 'P's!) Ya know we love ya man!

I agree with both Lone Dog AND Goody on this one.

I keep the ones (the FEW) that I have won at home---I DO understand the special feeling though some might have about their buckles--I know I smile at the first "First Place in catagory" that I won, and the clean match at the SW Regional. THe are mile stones in MY shooting, but I feel no need to display them to others--just MY Whim.

Why worry about this?

Folks do stuff that makes them happy...they choose to wear the clothes they wear...the vehicle they drive...the neighborhood they live...the hat they wear, etc, etc, because these things give them some sort of joy.

It's kind of a conspicuous consumption issue.

The buckles that impress me are the ones that the folks are wearing because it meant something to THEM! And I say GOOD FOR THEM!!!!!

Oy...

:rolleyes:

Shucks , I admire them all. They won them , if they want to wear them on their leather , great. Personally , I'm a little leary of the hook-type buckles on a holster belt , I would worry about it popping out of the hole and dropping my rig. Have no problems wearing a trophy buckle on a pants belt , though. Did it for years before I ever heard of CAS.

Rex :rolleyes:

I wear mine to add extra bling-bling to my B-western rig and outfit. I think in this category it especially adds to the touch, impress others ? please ! I'm quite proud to have earned them and this is how I like to display mine. :)

+1 for what Phantom said :)

You are such a wise man! :D

Yep, there he goes again bein' sensible an all...

That's the nice Phantom we all know and love.

I have three award buckles, the one I have on most is an old Santa Fe RR safety award.

Olen :P

I call 'em "SCARE" buckles, and I'll be darned if they don't work!!! Every time I see a pard with one on, on my posse, my shootin' just goes all to hell in a hurry!! :):P:D

But I say GOOD for them. We all know what it takes to get one, and at times it ain't easy. GOOD for them!!

I have a mid size buckle that says

TAPPAHANNOCK-ESSEX

V F D

That I am proud of. I guess after 40 years it is something. But, I take it off when shooting and use an old style buckle that won't break.

Shenny

I like to be surrounded by shooters with big championship buckles. :) I know I can relax and enjoy myself, because I am about to have my butt kicked by folks who know what their doing! :P

I call 'em "SCARE" buckles, and I'll be darned if they don't work!!! Every time I see a pard with one on, on my posse, my shootin' just goes all to hell in a hurry!! :FlagAm::FlagAm::lol:

But I say GOOD for them. We all know what it takes to get one, and at times it ain't easy. GOOD for them!!

:)

My problem is. When people see me wearing one.

Then they see me shoot.

They wonder. How in the heck did he win a buckle. :P:D

:)

My problem is. When people see me wearing one.

Then they see me shoot.

They wonder. How in the heck did he win a buckle. :P:D

Al, you're almost like me except, in my case, they are saying

"How the heck did he get that thing buckled?"

Guest Dusty Feller, SASS #20010L

Ya like 'em, then wear 'em.

If ya don't, then don't.

But don't complain if another wears theirs because it pleases them.

Sheesh, much ado about nothing.

Oh, yes, I do have state and regional buckles; but I choose not to wear them. I like the buckles that came with the belt; it is, after all, a very used belt!

Nothing wrong with them, it is just not for me!

The only one that impresses me is the one Jr. win at EOT that my son owns. I know what he went thru to win it. And how much it means to him.

Other'n that... what Phantom & Goody said. Even my own buckles and plaques, although proudly displayed, don't mean that much. It's more about the fun I had. Buckles or plaques don't measure that... but sometimes do remind me of a particular match or event.

I have a friend whose ex-hubby is a PRCA cowboy. He's 50 and still doing it. Her young sons wanted to make something for him for Christmas one year. I suggested they bring all of his buckles and I'd help them make a hanging display for the barn or house using latigos and closet rods.

They brought (4) dufflebags full of buckles. We made (2) 8 foot rods with a latigo every 6 inches and had a duffle bag left over. He claims to have sold over 150 saddles.

He still wears his NFR buckle. I'll bet he'd kill you if you tried to take it.

To each his own. Out here we know what it takes to win a buckle. You add up the time, money, dedication that it takes for ANY western sport: cutting, team roping, doggin', rough stock or even, yes, SASS shooting.

If you're not impressed or at least respectful then in my view you've got a serious personal issue that may be best talked over in private with a counselor. It may not be for you, but for someone it's meant a lot of work, bruises, time and money.

I have a friend whose ex-hubby is a PRCA cowboy. He's 50 and still doing it. Her young sons wanted to make something for him for Christmas one year. I suggested they bring all of his buckles and I'd help them make a hanging display for the barn or house using latigos and closet rods.

They brought (4) dufflebags full of buckles. We made (2) 8 foot rods with a latigo every 6 inches and had a duffle bag left over. He claims to have sold over 150 saddles.

He still wears his NFR buckle. I'll bet he'd kill you if you tried to take it.

To each his own. Out here we know what it takes to win a buckle. You add up the time, money, dedication that it takes for ANY western sport: cutting, team roping, doggin', rough stock or even, yes, SASS shooting.

If you're not impressed or at least respectful then in my view you've got a serious personal issue that may be best talked over in private with a counselor. It may not be for you, but for someone it's meant a lot of work, bruises, time and money.

yeah....big +1

When you are at a match and a Pard-Pardette walks by with a big shiney belt buckle displayed in full glory. Which award buckle(s) impresses you the most or you wish you had?

Blastmaster

Edit: I suppose we could skip right over the obvious ones, such as the 1st place winners of Winter Range & EOT. :)

Personally if it holds their pants up I am thrilled to no end. If I ever get one I will probably be so thrilled and excited I will get it upside down.

After a shooter did something similar at Winter Range a few years ago, I always thought it might be fun to have a great big gaudy belt buckle made with the SASS Marshal in the middle and saying something like 2011 End of Trail, Top 250.

Guest diablo slim shootist

i have a few buckles of my own but i only wear one in public

it a soutwest regional buckle that is all antique brass -it looks

right with my period cowboy clothes .Its special to me because

i shot the match clean with black powder -1st time to do that.

i have some other belt buckles from some other clubs in the

area- that i will not name- that i wont wear because they are too

gawdy.Diablo :)

:blush: When the pardette walks by with that shiny buckle on her shotgun belt, it gives me an excuse for looking at her backside, and not getting slapped silly. :rolleyes::wacko::rolleyes: My favorite award buckle I wear is the one my wife gave me stating that I'm her #1 cowboy. :wub::wub:

I always look at buckles.

The few buckles I have, no one gave them to me - I earned them, and as such, they mean a lot to me - I certainly respect how much anothers buckles must mean to them.

And when I see a shooter with a buckle signifying a placement or win that I haven't achieved yet - It gives me the encouragement and incentive to work a little harder, practice a little more, or study the game a little longer to try to make that next step forward.

I read 'em all as folks walk by. The only ones that really jump out at me say "Spirit of the Game" or something like that. They tell me the award was given by fellow shooters and the person who earned it is someone special.

Archived