SASS Wire Forum

Taylor’s & Co TC73 9mm

I noticed that the rubber butt plate is not shown at all.

There was one spot in the video that shows the threaded muzzle.

$2,099

I looked up the specs.  It has an 18-inch barrel and a 10-round capacity.  It might make a nice self-defence gun for someone more comfortable with a lever-action rifle than a semi-auto carbine.  Brass will be easy to come by.  At the ranges I frequent there is always once-fired 9 mm brass on the ground.  I look forward to range reports from the first buyers.

• Like 3

Was just gonna post this. Looks intriguing.

Posted (edited)

I'm wondering how they keep the lever stroke SASS legal and still avoid short round jambs with the short cartridges? Also, how do they handle/extract the rimless 9mm?

It will be interesting to look at one---  but for me, not $2100 worth of interesting.

Edited by Dusty Devil Dale
  • Like 1

Very interesting.  I'm surprised they could keep this under wraps until now.  Seems an odd caliber to introduce it in, and wondering if it will have new chamberings later.  And yeah, will it be SASS legal?

40 minutes ago, wyliefoxEsquire said:

I noticed that the rubber butt plate is not shown at all.

There was one spot in the video that shows the threaded muzzle.

$2,099

Where did you find a video?  I don't see one in the email from Taylors nor on their website.

1 hour ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I'm wondering how they keep the lever stroke SASS legal and still avoid short round jambs with the short cartridges? Also, how do they handle/extract the rimless 9mm?

It will be interesting to look at one---  but for me, not $2100 worth of interesting.

The stroke will be the same as any other 73. All they did is modify the carrier. Most likely the modification is very similar to the modification required to shoot 45 Cowboy Specials or 45 ACP.

Extraction is no different than any other case.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

I initiated an ROC discussion regarding the threaded barrel modification.

stand by.jpg

I hope so. It’s not very visible. Maybe they can approve threaded barrels when it’s just a plain look and not something like a muzzle break etc. 

Also on the "video" (not really a video) the hammer had a mark from the bolt extension due to the over cocking.

Someone on the Saloon wire said Taylor’s makes it. Since when did they start actually making something ?

• Like 1

100% US made implies that 100% of the parts are made in USA.

My only suggestion would be to have an accessory to replace the rear sight with a pic rail to mount a reflex or holographic sight to go with a suppressor to appeal to the steampunk nijas.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, J.D. Daily said:

100% US made implies that 100% of the parts are made in USA.

My only suggestion would be to have an accessory to replace the rear sight with a pic rail to mount a reflex or holographic sight to go with a suppressor to appeal to the steampunk nijas.

That’s what I thought, 100% USA parts and then assembled by Taylor’s. Too bad it’s 9mm. I think they would  sell more in .45 Colt or 357. MHO 

Edited by Rye Miles #13621
  • Like 2

Let's open that second can of worms, will it be Wild Bunch legal? The book says rifles must be at least .38 caliber, but what is that? The .38 spl is .357", quite a bit shy of .380".

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

That’s what I thought, 100% USA parts and then assembled by Taylor’s. Too bad it’s 9mm. I think they would  sell more in .45 Colt or 357. MHO 

Or 44-40.

• Like 3

If they came out with it in .45, .357, or .44-40, would it be $700 better than buying a Uberti that the aftermarket manufacturers already make all the trick gizmos for?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

If they came out with it in .45, .357, or .44-40, would it be $700 better than buying a Uberti that the aftermarket manufacturers already make all the trick gizmos for?

Yes I think because it’s 100% American made. That means a lot to a lot of people. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

To me, yes. Made in USA of USA made parts - down to screw and springs. 

We bitch and moan about how cheaply made things are and yet, at the same time, how nothing is made here at home. Can’t have it both ways. 

Hugs!

Scarlett

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5

I'm also in the "made by Whom" crowd.  I'd also have to have a hard look at the internals.  Will it accept existing after-market speed parts??  If it's like Miroku, with no after-market, it's going to die on the vine.

PLUS ONE for Scarlett.  The prime manufacturer of the 1873 replicas has been Uberti since the beginning.  There was another Italian manufacturer but they made Junque.  Literally everyone complained about the Italian made rifles since the beginning but those guns have ruled the roost.  Enter a domestically made version and everyone starts by whining about the price.  Quote Scarlett YOU CAN'T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS.  Get over it.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Let's open that second can of worms, will it be Wild Bunch legal? The book says rifles must be at least .38 caliber, but what is that? The .38 spl is .357", quite a bit shy of .380".

Page 39 SHB

Rifle Calibers
- Must be centerfire of at least ..
- Must be in a caliber commonly available in revolvers. Examples include, but are
not limited to, .32-20, .32 Magnum, .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .38-40, .44-40, .44
Special, .44 Magnum, and .45 Colt. The only allowed exceptions are the .25-20 and
.56-50. No rifle calibers such as .30-30 or .38-55 are allowed.

9mm is at least 32 caliber and not larger than .45 caliber

The question then becomes the meaning/intent of caliber commonly available in revolvers.  Commonly available in Old West (SHB page 2) or anytime frame.

I would hope it means Old West

Reference Wikipedia

9×19mm Parabellum Originally designed by Austrian firearm designer Georg Luger in 1901,

You're quoting the Cowboy Action manual, not the Wild Bunch manual - .25-20, .32 H&R mag, .327 Federal, .32-20, and .56-.50 aren't legal for Wild Bunch.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Sedalia Dave said:

Given that a 1911 chambered in 9mm is not WB legal, what would be the advantage of having a rifle in 9mm? 

Weren’t the WB rules changed to allow 9mm?

4 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Weren’t the WB rules changed to allow 9mm?

I checked yesterday and the WB handbook specifically states that the 1911 must be in 45 ACP

WBHB pg 11

1911 PISTOL

A full-size single stack 1911 semi-auto pistol is used in Wild Bunch Action Shooting.

- Must be .45 ACP caliber

14 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

You're quoting the Cowboy Action manual, not the Wild Bunch manual - .25-20, .32 H&R mag, .327 Federal, .32-20, and .56-.50 aren't legal for Wild Bunch.

OK you were correct, from page 15 in the wbshb

Too bad the 9mm is 0.355 versus the 38SPL at 0.357,  9mm comes up 0.002 inches too small

Rifle Calibers
- Must be centerfire of at least .38 caliber and not larger than .45 caliber.
- No rifle calibers are allowed.
- Must be in a caliber commonly available. Examples include, but are not limited to, .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .38-40, .44-40, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, and .45 Colt.