SASS Wire Forum

They changed from Boy Scouts of America when I was still in. I was 16, maybe 17. So that makes it like 71 or 72. They wanted to be more inclusive, and they wanted to get the "inner city youth" (that's politically correct speak for "black kids in the ghetto"). But they were certain that black kids would not join anything called BOY, so they changed the name from "Boy Scouts of America" to "Scouting BSA". That's when they got the red beret, and the belt loops to show what tasks you have passed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

They changed from Boy Scouts of America when I was still in. I was 16, maybe 17. So that makes it like 71 or 72. They wanted to be more inclusive, and they wanted to get the "inner city youth" (that's politically correct speak for "black kids in the ghetto"). But they were certain that black kids would not join anything called BOY, so they changed the name from "Boy Scouts of America" to "Scouting BSA". That's when they got the red beret, and the belt loops to show what tasks you have passed.

Was that a national change or your local council?  It was Boy Scouts of America here until about 5 years ago when it became Scouts BSA.  

NESA sent out an email this morning that they will not be changing their name.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

That seems odd as I earned my Eagle in 1972 and both the presentation box and certificate say "Boy Scouts of America".

Proudly wore my merit badges on a sash, Order of the Arrow over my shoulder and somewhere still have my hat, not a beret.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

• Like 2

According to what I read they changed the name to Scouts of America BSA in 2019

This new change of name will be in Feb 2025

Posted (edited)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_Scouts_of_America

Scroll down for info 

Edited by Rye Miles #13621

In 1972 they made several drastic changes.

image_access_800.jpg

This is the uniform prior to 1972. See what it says over the right pocket?

4NJEmffLt5OprgwDjLm3Wg.jpeg

This is the uniform between 1972 and 1979. See what it says over the right pocket. They took away the word boy.

This is the handbook from 1972 to 1979, when they were trying to be inclusive and get the inner city youth.

https://www.troop97.net/bshb_ed8.htm

That page won't let me cut and paste anything, but read what it says below the pictures. The great idea that lasted from 72 to 79. Where they de-emphasized camping and outdoor anything, and now it was all about being in the city. If you're lost ask a policeman. Carry a quarter to use the pay toilet. Remember to cross at the light.

After 1979 they went back to being Boy scouts of America.

Posted (edited)

Boy Scouts of America making this big change to be more inclusive

https://www.foxnews.com/us/boy-scouts-america-making-big-change-more-inclusive

Edited by Rye Miles #13621

My daughter is scoutmaster of the first female troop in Durham, NC.  It is composed of girls who wanted more from the experience than cooking and crafts.

Before that, she was Akela in 3 countries.

BTW, both of her sons are Eagles.

I sewed many a merit badge to a sash - can't remember the years but boys were born in 1997 & 2001.

I am still royally pissed that their troop leader got thrown under the bus when a parent accused the troop of abusing her son.  Apparently, the boy was yelled at, but you know what everybody now thinks.  That man lived for his scouts.  He was present at every major event in my grandsons lives.  Last saw him last Easter - he was invited, and came to, our Easter dinner.  Rant over.

• Thanks 1

That's why that great experiment only lasted 7 years. People were leaving Scouts in droves. "This crap ain't what I joined for!"

• Like 1

I had a chance to join the Boy Scouts but I was too busy playing baseball, swimming, football and playing cowboys and Indians! I told my parents I didn’t want to join. They were fine with my decision. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I had a great troop in the early-mid 1960s. Yearly 50 mile hikes in the Cascades and Olympics, including the Wonderland Trail around Mt. Rainier. Summer camp at Hahobas on Hood Canal five years running. 

We had outstanding leadership. Our main Scoutmaster was a dispatcher for the Northern Pacific Railroad. He could get the train stopped in the mountains for snow camp, stopping again to pick us up a couple of days later.

Big part of my youth....

Edited by Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619
  • Like 5

Do boys get to be Girl Scouts or Brownies? Is Brownies even PC nowadays. We're going down the toilet in a hurry. Sometimes, I'm glad I'm old.

• Like 2

so tell me why is it that folks have to change things that are traditional in our lives ???? is there something about our history that is so terrible we cant find the good in it ??? 

sick of all the renaming and tearing down of our history , i think ill raise my stars and bars to my heritage and those that died - not the hate , i have none , but i am offended by all this social justice that focuses on the past rather on the present issues .............and no the current campus unrest is not focusing on current injustices or needs of the needy its all about political changes and mostly communism/islamic takeovers - neither of which i want to accept without a fight , a bloody one if thats what they want 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

What about the Girl Scouts? Can boys join them?? Will the new Scouting America make cookies?

As Dennis Prager says, “Everything the left touches they ruin”

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

What about the Girl Scouts? Can boys join them?? Will the new Scouting America make cookies?

The Girl Scouts are already ruined as far as cookies go. The girls don't sit outside the stores around here anymore, it's usually 3 or 4 adults with one girl (not even in uniform most of the time) selling the cookies. The cookies don't taste anywhere close to the same as even 10 years ago and you get 1/2 as many for twice as much. They used to come around door to door every year here, haven't seen any of them in years although this could be for security reasons.

I don't know about the inner workings of the Girl Scouts but their numbers sure seemed to have dwindled considerably over the years.

Edited by Cypress Sun
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

The Girl Scouts are already ruined as far as cookies go. The girls don't sit outside the stores around here anymore, it's usually 3 or 4 adults with one girl (not even in uniform most of the time) selling the cookies. The cookies don't taste anywhere close to the same as even 10 years ago and you get 1/2 as many for twice as much. They used to come around door to door every year here, haven't seen any of them in years although this could be for security reasons.

I don't know about the inner workings of the Girl Scouts but their numbers sure seemed to have dwindled considerably over the years.

They still sit outside stores here, they  were even at a kiosk at the mall, I buy one box of thin mints and that’s it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

From what I'm told, boys who say they are girls may join Girl Scouts.  They sleep with the girls and must be offered, but not required to use, private changing and bathrooms.  Boys who know they are boys are not allowed in Girl Scouts.  

The Girl Scouts lawsuit against the Boy Scouts for letting girls in was dismissed.   The interview I saw a couple years ago had the Girl Scouts spokeswoman say they don't see the Boy Scouts as competition but as a fellow quality program for today's youth. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Alpo said:

They wanted to be more inclusive, and they wanted to get the "inner city youth" (that's politically correct speak for "black kids in the ghetto"). But they were certain that black kids would not join anything called BOY, so they changed the name from "Boy Scouts of America" to "Scouting BSA".

And I'm assuming changing the name to "Bro Scouts" wouldn't have worked either. :blink:

• Haha 1

That would have probably made me quit.

Couple years ago, somebody - Hardpan most likely - posted either pictures or video of an Eagle ceremony. And I noticed, as they were shaking hands, that no one interlocked their fingers. I questioned this - when did they do away with that? And everyone assured me that I was losing my mind. That it had always been just a normal handshake but you did it with your left hand. No. You interlocked your little fingers when you shook hands.

But if you read that article I linked on the 10th Scout Handbook, they mentioned that in that 72 to 79 period they changed it. It seems that every other Scout organization in the world shook hands normally, except they use their left hand. WE interlocked our little fingers. Well hell, we need to stop that. We need to do it like the rest of the world does.

Boy, that sounds familiar. We use 45 but the rest of the world uses 9 mm, so we need to change to 9 mm. We use imperial and the rest of the world uses metric so we need to change to metric. We say Christmas is 12/25 while the rest of the world says it's 25/12. They haven't forced us to change that one --- yet. But they will.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

We use imperial and the rest of the world uses metric so we need to change to metric.

main-qimg-db3a5c8c7b4381d20c7cf8cb194c058c.jpeg.2305e51fa18db1aad2ed96cc91023480.jpeg

Posted (edited)

It's late, and I'm too tired to really get into this tonight, but I'll toss out a few comments.

However, I will ask:  Of you who have voiced extreme disapproval above, how many are involved in Scouting?  How many of you have spent years donating up to twenty hours a week (or more) to helping direct youth?  How many of you have actually bothered to do any research beyond reading some knee-jerk article about how terrible this "name change" is?  (By the way - the Boy Scouts of America name remains; the organization was chartered under that name by Congress in 1916.  "Scouting America" is a DBA that actually makes sense from a marketing perspective with the inclusion of girls). 

Oh... and speaking of girls!

Prior to 2017,  there were 38 million scouts in 169 national organizations.  Of those, fourteen restricted Scouting to boys only: Bahrain, Barbados, Botswana, Kuwait, Lesotho, Liberia, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Swaziland, UAE, and Yemen.  And the United States of America.  Pretty heady company we were keeping, huh?  Heck, even Afghanistan's program was co-ed!  That is, until our illustrious president handed the country back to the Taliban.

When our council held our first Camporee with "Girl" troops participating, the bar was raised:  the young ladies (who DO have their own troops) kicked ass!  They won almost every competition.  Younger and far less experienced, they were that focused and that intent on proving themselves. 

I have had the honor and privilege of chairing or serving on over 130 Eagle Boards of Review.  Now, let me tell you about my district's first female Eagle Scout....

Most (not all, but definitely most!) of the male Eagle candidates struggle to meet all the requirements by the 18th birthday mandatory deadline.  Imagine my surprise when I received Zoe's application and "book," and discovered that she was a fifteen-year old high school freshman!  But, at fifteen, she had already earned over twice the required number of merit badges.  She was - and remains - a straight A student.  She was a cheerleader, active in FFA and 4-H, volunteered at the local library, involved with her church, and was also an active Girl Scout.  Oh - and she had earned her AA before she began her junior year of high school.  And not surprisingly, to sit and talk with her, you would find that she comes across as a very pleasant but typical young lady of her age.

By the way ~ how many of you know that Scouts has a Cowboy Action Shooting program?

I could go on for pages, but like I said, it's late. I spent a few hours doing Scoutie stuff tonight; I'm ready for an adult beverage and some winding down.  But first, one last anecdote:

I recently invited a gentleman I know through my writing group to participate in an Eagle Board of Review.  Dennis had earned his Eagle back in the early 1960's, is a retired Navy Commander, Navy pilot, and retired airline pilot.  He was hesitant, but did serve on the board.  At the end of the evening, he thanked me sincerely for including him - and actually used the same phrase I've used for years - "This evening has done wonders in restoring my faith in the youth of our country!"   

Hardpan

whose Scouting CV includes "Den Mother," Cubmaster, Assistant Scoutmaster, Unit Commissioner, District Commissioner, Assistant Council Commissioner, Acting District Advancement Chair, Acting District Training Chair, Eagle Chair, District Vice Chair, Acting District Chair, Merit Badge Counselor (14 badges, including most of the Eagle required badges), Camp Commissioner, Wood Badge (Fox patrol - staff 3x), Charter Organization Representative... and more.  Lots more. 

Edited by Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

It's late, and I'm too tired to really get into this tonight, but I'll toss out a few comments.

However, I will ask:  Of you who have voiced extreme disapproval above, how many are involved in Scouting?  How many of you have spent years donating up to twenty hours a week (or more) to helping direct youth?  How many of you have actually bothered to do any research beyond reading some knee-jerk article about how terrible this "name change" is?  (By the way - the Boy Scouts of America name remains; the organization was chartered under that name by Congress in 1916.  "Scouting America" is a DBA that actually makes sense from a marketing perspective with the inclusion of girls). 

Oh... and speaking of girls!

Prior to 2017,  there were 38 million scouts in 169 national organizations.  Of those, fourteen restricted Scouting to boys only: Bahrain, Barbados, Botswana, Kuwait, Lesotho, Liberia, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Swaziland, UAE, and Yemen.  And the United States of America.  Pretty heady company we were keeping, huh?  Heck, even Afghanistan's program was co-ed!  That is, until our illustrious president handed the country back to the Taliban.

When our council held our first Camporee with "Girl" troops participating, the bar was raised:  the young ladies (who DO have their own troops) kicked ass!  They won almost every competition.  Younger and far less experienced, they were that focused and that intent on proving themselves. 

I have had the honor and privilege of chairing or serving on over 130 Eagle Boards of Review.  Now, let me tell you about my district's first female Eagle Scout....

Most (not all, but definitely most!) of the male Eagle candidates struggle to meet all the requirements by the 18th birthday mandatory deadline.  Imagine my surprise when I received Zoe's application and "book," and discovered that she was a fifteen-year old high school freshman!  But, at fifteen, she had already earned over twice the required number of merit badges.  She was - and remains - a straight A student.  She was a cheerleader, active in FFA and 4-H, volunteered at the local library, involved with her church, and was also an active Girl Scout.  Oh - and she had earned her AA before she began her junior year of high school.  And not surprisingly, to sit and talk with her, you would find that she comes across as a very pleasant but typical young lady of her age.

By the way ~ how many of you know that Scouts has a Cowboy Action Shooting program?

I could go on for pages, but like I said, it's late. I spent a few hours doing Scoutie stuff tonight; I'm ready for an adult beverage and some winding down.  But first, one last anecdote:

I recently invited a gentleman I know through my writing group to participate in an Eagle Board of Review.  Dennis had earned his Eagle back in the early 1960's, is a retired Navy Commander, Navy pilot, and retired airline pilot.  He was hesitant, but did serve on the board.  At the end of the evening, he thanked me sincerely for including him - and actually used the same phrase I've used for years - "This evening has done wonders in restoring my faith in the youth of our country!"   

Hardpan

whose Scouting CV includes "Den Mother," Cubmaster, Assistant Scoutmaster, Unit Commissioner, District Commissioner, Assistant Council Commissioner, Acting District Advancement Chair, Acting District Training Chair, Eagle Chair, District Vice Chair, Acting District Chair, Merit Badge Counselor (14 badges, including most of the Eagle required badges), Camp Commissioner, Wood Badge (Fox patrol - staff 3x), Charter Organization Representative... and more.  Lots more. 

Thanks for the explanation, glad to hear it’s not as bad as the article makes it sound. 

• Like 3

Our folks started to get us involved back in the early 70's, I was in Cub Scouts, my older brother was in Boy Scouts (or whatever the names were at that time)  we went to a couple meetings, it was fun and all of a sudden our mom pulled us out with only a vague explanation.   Talking to her years later it was because her Mama Bear Radar went off big time when the Boy Scout troop leader started talking about the overnight trips and she saw how some of the boys that had been in for a couple years were acting. 

I know that millions of young boys had great experiences, learned valuable life lessons and made friends they still have to this day, but the national organization also failed hundreds of thousands of innocent young children and protected predators that you or I would, with a hand on a Bible, tell the investigating officer that "they just slipped and fell off the trial

Everyone has their own theory behind the name change, mine is that they are trying to distance themselves from the $2.5 billion dollar judgment and well deserved bad publicity 

Posted (edited)

I asked my past master about this.
He is an Eagle Scout, and to this day very active with scouts and mentoring.
His niece is in scouting.

He told me scouts went co-ed several years ago, after being pummeled by lawsuits.
The name change today is a reflection of what changed back then.
My wife is a 20 year girl scout leader, and understands how some girls want more from scouting than is offered by the female troops.

As with all things co-ed, there are increased pressures.
As of this writing, I'm told there are no co-ed camping trips.

The real problem when females enter a male-only group, is the change in the dynamic.
Men are required to walk on egg shells when females are present.

Edited by bgavin

2 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

And the standards are usually reduced.

Allow me to qoute myself from above:  :)

"When our council held our first Camporee with "Girl" troops participating, the bar was raised:  the young ladies (who DO have their own troops) kicked ass!  They won almost every competition.  Younger and far less experienced, they were that focused and that intent on proving themselves."

Now, with that said, of course things change over time.  For instance, the Eagle requirement of identifying bird calls ended long ago, as has "Pathfinding" and "Pioneering."  But they've been replaced with others... like Cooking.

Wait!  "Cooking?"  Well... check out the requirements - it ain't just making S'mores and "eggs in a bag."  When I asked our staff nutritionist at work to review it, she was fairly astonished.  And a few others, just to to see what they're like:

Cooking  

Communication

Citizenship In the Community

Hiking (may be substituted for Swimming)

These are representative of the fourteen required Eagle badges; a minimum of seven additional "elective" badges must also be earned.  Many Scouts earn more; for each additional five they may be awarded a "Palm" device to pin on their Eagle medal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Allow me to qoute myself from above:  :)

"When our council held our first Camporee with "Girl" troops participating, the bar was raised:  the young ladies (who DO have their own troops) kicked ass!  They won almost every competition.  Younger and far less experienced, they were that focused and that intent on proving themselves."

Not disagreeing with you on this particular point. I haven't dealt with Scouting since I quit over the jackass's in my Troop whose father was supposed to coordinate transportation to a weekend campout one weekend got their father to LEAVE me at the site waiting on MY dad who wasn't supposed to drive. 

When my daughter was of the age to join Girl Scouts, (we didn't know there WERE other options), I was all ready to help out, except the Girl Scouts couldn't figure out who their own Troop Leaders were supposed to be. 

But that has nothing to do with this. My comment wasn't directed at Scouting, but only what usually happens when girls and women try to join a normally male activity, profession, or whatever. Back in the '70's, when the Columbus Ohio, (where I grew up), Police Dept. started having to hire female Patrol Officers, out of the first group they gave a Physical Agility test to, and it was a FEMALE version of the test, only one passed. They had to lower the qualifications to pass enough women to even have a class. When they finally hit the streets, two of these women had traffic accidents in their Cruisers in the first week.  

So while this might not be indicative of Scouting, it IS a valid point in most cases.

• Like 1