SASS Wire Forum

What .22?

Some comments in other threads have "inspired" me to start a discussion on this specific topic.

In relation to an event that uses a .22 repeating rifle, be it a side match, a main match that is allowing them for some unusual reason, or by Buckaroos, what seems to be the most popular type of gun?    I say type for a reason.   It could be argued that the Winchester 73 is the most popular main match gun in our game.  But there does not seem to be a correspondingly most popular .22 rifle.  At the side matches I've seen and participated in, pump action, rather than lever action .22s seem to be much more common.  And even then, I have seen a plethora of vintage, replica, and modern rifle of different makes and models.  Thinking about it, I can't really recall seeing a .22 lever gun, but I've not been to a huge amount of these events.  

Is this what other people have observed?    Assuming the general preference for pumps is a real one, why do people think this is so?  Are decent lever .22s too hard to find or too expensive, or both?   

And finally, what do people actually use for such events when they participate them.   (Be  specific.)

Just a for fun general discussion.   

16 minutes ago, Possum Skinner, SASS#60697 said:

Henry.  Can be made very slick.  (Send it to Slater)  And it's inexpensive. 

THIS. ^^^^^.

He does the 'Widder Soft Stroke' on the Henry .22 and also sets up one of the nicest trigger jobs you'll ever feel.

He's a Top Notch Cowboy to deal with.   PLUS..... he is a dealer, so you can also order and buy your rifle directly from him.

..........Widder

44 minutes ago, Possum Skinner, SASS#60697 said:

+1, I love mine!

Henry. I have the standard rifle NOT slicked up and it’s fine!

3 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Henry. I have the standard rifle NOT slicked up and it’s fine!

They are, but send one to Slater and you won't be able to stop shooting til the brick of ammo is gone :lol:! Mine was done by Mr. Widder hisowndangself and the trigger by Slater. Slater does the whole job now.

We have a Henry youth model my wife used to shoot speed side matches with.  However, once she tried my BL-22 that's all she shoots.  She is deadly on lollipops and has won speed side matches with it.  I shoot a Marlin as I do better with a heavier rifle.

Everyone needs a .22 rifle in their collection.

2 hours ago, Possum Skinner, SASS#60697 said:

What he said. Mine is as slick as my Shotgun Boogie tuned 73. It is a very nice and accurate shooter.

TM

I suppose I should mention what I have.

The first pump I ever used in a SASS side match was, at the time, the only .22 I had, was a Remington Model 12.   It's a vert nice gun, and very accurate.  It doesn't have an exposed hammer, and when I asked if that was okay, I was told that for a .22, it is.   That being said, I only used it the one time before moving on to other things.

For a while I used a Rossi Model 62 SAC, which is a replica the Winchester 62 that belonged to my brother.   I really like this design.   It's a very nice shooter, and a great plinker.  But, the sights are not quite the same as on a real Winchester, being "wider" and thus for me, not as accurate.  At big squre targets, that's nota  problem, but at eggs way out there, it kinda was.

But, one day I got a nice gift from my brother, a Stevens Model 14.  This gun is super accurate, but the action is kinda finiky at times.   I am not sure if it's a design flaw, or just old, but I have more or less "retired" this gun to an informal plinker.

Now, if you recognize my alias, you can probably guess what my other pump .22 is, and which I will probably be using at the next chance I get; a small frame Colt Lightning.   I've not yet used it in a side match, but it's fun to use as a plinker, and seems to be quite accurate.

Now, as far as lever action .22's go, well, I have yet to use one in competition, but will eventually.

The first SASS Legal .22 I got is the Uberti 66 .22.  This is essentially a reproduction of the Winchester 73 in .22 LR, but with a brass frame, supposedly the same one they use for their full size Henrys, and they call it a 66.   It's a nice shooter.

My first ever .22 caliber rifle, which I got as a boy from my father, is a Winchester 9422 in .22WRFM, which of course, makes it not legal for SASS matches.  But, about 2 years ago, I acquired another 9422 in .22LR.  It is impossible to not sing this rifle's praises on every level, and I look forward to trying it in some context soon.

And that's all I've currently got for .22s.   Theoretically, if I can find a real Winchester 73, or even one of the Uberti replicas, I am inclined to obtain one, and, perhaps, a Marlin 39A or it's progenitors, but time will tell,

Anyway...   I am surprised by all the votes the Henry is getting.   Or maybe not.  By all accounts, their .22 is a fine rifle.  

We allow .22s for our club matches.  Gets people into the game so they can decide if they are going to make the big expenditures. Most of them start with the Henry levers and Ruger Wranglers.

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Anyway...   I am surprised by all the votes the Henry is getting.   Or maybe not.  By all accounts, their .22 is a fine rifle.  

Actually, if some of those other rifles you mentioned were readily available and 'cost friendly',  my guess is that some of them would

also be popular among Cowboys.     The Win 9422 is probably the Cadillac of lever .22's but is no longer available.  And, if you find one in good

condition, you'll pay dearly for it.   Same with the Marlin 39.

The Browning .22 lever is costly, even though its has a short stroke.   Its not exactly a fast shooting .22

As for the Henry, one that is properly tuned and set up can run 10 shots in under 2 seconds, assuming the shooter can shoot it

that fast.     Missouri Lefty is on a video shooting the "Widder Soft Stroke" for 10 shots in 1.81 seconds during his first time of

being introduced to it at Black Gold a few years back.   

Henry's are good rifles, they are available in MANY configurations (round barrel, octagon barrel, short, long, brassy looking or black looking, and

some even look silvery and shiny)....... and they are priced so that many of us can afford one or two of them and have money left over

to buy some ammo.

These things are probably the reason a lot of Cowboys own and shoot them with favorable comments.

Henry is also VERY REPUTABLE in their customer service.   

Best regards

..........Widder

I’d love to shoot the Henry Soft Stoke that Widder and Slater built for me, but my grandson won’t let me near it!!!

I use a marlin model 39,  if you are wanting to shoot fast that is not the best gun for the job.  They are also fragile and difficult to find  parts for.   If you want to go fast the henry in the better choice.  There is a new winchester on the market now and I dont know anything about that one.  Bullett

Model 62 Winchester

I got the grandson , a Henry 22 Golden Boy , he says it is too heavy , was at the toy store , and saw a Rossi ? REO BROVO , thinking that will be the next one to try 

the old Henry , H01 needs to go back and be rebuilt , lots of wear from at least 1/2 a dozen new shooters running the snot out of it 

CB 

10 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

What? just one!

I have a Marlin 39A. I’ve run it a couple of times in cowboy matches, but I don’t try to run it super fast. Also have  a Remington 572 pump, but that’s my squirrel gun….

Sam Sackett 

i have well over a dozen different lever 22s from marlins to henrys and everything in between except a few i want yet , my choice would be my 22cal  uberti 1866 as its an exact match to my main match 45colt 1866 rifle in size function and feel , as well as appearance , 

also have a lot of pumps that fit the bill but i never really feel the cowboy in those , if you havent guessed 22s are sorta my last real collection and im having trouble separating from any - my first two wives were easier to part with , and we wont even start on the handguns here , 

11 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

We have a Henry youth model my wife used to shoot speed side matches with.  However, once she tried my BL-22 that's all she shoots.  She is deadly on lollipops and has won speed side matches with it.  I shoot a Marlin as I do better with a heavier rifle.

I made the mistake a few years back mentioning I didn’t have a 22. My Pards gave me a ration of grief. I now have 9! 

Depends on what you want to do with it. For main match a Henry Golden Boy hard to beat, and relatively inexpensive $400 or so. 
I have a vintage Winchester 62a pump. I like it more than the Henry. 
for an accuracy side match the Marlin 39A. 

My favorite factory rifle is the Winchester 9422. My favorite souped up go fast whoop your pards' 22 is my Henry that Widder worked on for me. He did it early on and asked for it back a year or two later. When I asked him why, he said he's always finding new stuff to do on them and wanted to update it. You can't beat that with a stick.

3 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

My favorite factory rifle is the Winchester 9422. My favorite souped up go fast whoop your pards' 22 is my Henry that Widder worked on for me. He did it early on and asked for it back a year or two later. When I asked him why, he said he's always finding new stuff to do on them and wanted to update it. You can't beat that with a stick.

Don't you have 2 of them?

I appreciate the kind words..... but I've never seen you whoop up on anyone.   :lol:

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Depends on what you want to do with it. For main match a Henry Golden Boy hard to beat, and relatively inexpensive $400 or so. 
I have a vintage Winchester 62a pump. I like it more than the Henry. 
for an accuracy side match the Marlin 39A. 

Realize that the golden boy has a different stock angle than the other Henry rifles.  It has a lot more stock drop.  I got one and didn’t realize this.  Sold it right away and got a hex barrel blued rifle as it fit much better. 

Archived