SASS Wire Forum

the world has officially gone to hell

Alpo

I was on another site. I was talking about my grandparent's avocado farm.

Rancho El Gato Negro.

The software on the site changed negro to *****.

Apparently it is now a negative ethnic term that is considered offensive.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Back in the day when computing was young….  Universities were creating accounts for students and faculty, Dr Fuch was denied an account in his own name.

My dad worked with a guy named Fuch, he said that poor guy went through hell!

• Sad 1

At a post-meeting drinking session a few weeks ago a colleague couldn’t apologize enough for his response when an African-American in the group asked what he was drinking.  It was a “Negroni”.  https://www.liquor.com/recipes/negroni/

Even the Black person thought he was being stupid and embarrassing himself, then she ordered one of the drinks.

This world is full of blathering morons with too thin skin and not enough intelligence to focus on anything but minutiae. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

From an earlier post I made.

Snip-it_1713651297478.jpg.1343325bef12a8797125c419409c7ea1.jpg

Edited by Father Kit Cool Gun Garth
Pic size
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

From an earlier post I made.

Snip-it_1713651297478.jpg.1343325bef12a8797125c419409c7ea1.jpg

Ditch 3 in the 8th circle of hell. 

• Haha 2

Tell em what they can do to themself.:ph34r:

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Tell em what they can do to themself.:ph34r:

Perhaps that is how they ended up in hell in the first place. :lol:

• Haha 2

As a Young Marine, I knew a black kid who's last name was Negron. A white guy he knew called to him in the Chow Hall, "Hey Negron", only came out it sounding like "Niggron". A table of some other black Marines who didn't know him heard it and jumped up  yelling , "WHAT DID YOU CALL HIM?!?!" As I happened to be right there, I was able to explain it to them, but it could have gotten bad.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Did y'all know that using WHITE canvas on covered wagons in a parade celebrating the Oregon Trail migration is RASIZT!! :ph34r:

Oregon-California Trail Timeline – Legends of America

The organizer of the event has ordered that the covers be "colored" (i.e. anything other than WHITE). :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 3

Some bakeries, usually associated with chain supermarkets, will censor, "Congratulations (name)  Summa Cum Laude!"  Or will just refuse the order.

image.jpeg.bc2dcc3703bc3cce375721d2dfea9842.jpeg

Just as, in the Instagram thread where I found
FB_IMG_1713805653461.thumb.jpg.516bbb8f5105633350983131a996d1c7.jpg
someone asked "What does do. mean?"

Another, for an orange pudding receipt from the 1600s, the author made the comment that oranges were pretty much unknown in Europe until the Moors brought them to Spain.  In the comments someone asked "What are moors?"  I posted that they should look up the Umayyad Caliphate.  I did manage to refrain from mentioning the heraldic "moor" or "blackamoor," but OH! it was SO tempting!

Pin on Moorish Coats-of-Arms & Family Crest

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Did y'all know that using WHITE canvas on covered wagons in a parade celebrating the Oregon Trail migration is RASIZT!! :ph34r:

The organizer of the event has ordered that the covers be "colored" (i.e. anything other than WHITE). :rolleyes:

BULLPUCKY! 

I'd boycott the whole shi--eree and tell everyone why1

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If you go to McDonald's and get some napkins, they're brown. Is this because McDonald's is gone woke and white is bad? No. It's because to make the napkins white they have to bleach them, and therefore they cost more.

Logic says to make the canvas white they have to bleach it. So if I was buying canvas to cover my wagon and I had a choice between light brown at 50 cents a yard and bright white at 62 cents a yard, I'd buy the brown stuff. Plus, if I put nice bright white covers on my wagon, the Indians can see me a couple of miles away.

I wasn't around when they did wagon trains, but I bet you they did not have white canvas covers.

• Like 1

Most canvas is cotton duck and starts out kind of an “off white” in color.  

If I were one of those wagon owners, I’d refuse to participate and then park my wagon, white canvas and all, where everyone would have to pass by it and hang a sign on it explaining why!!  If I had time, I’d have some flyers printed and hand them out during the exhibition, accusing the organizers of racism!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

'''

Logic says to make the canvas white they have to bleach it. So if I was buying canvas to cover my wagon and I had a choice between light brown at 50 cents a yard and bright white at 62 cents a yard, I'd buy the brown stuff. Plus, if I put nice bright white covers on my wagon, the Indians can see me a couple of miles away.

I wasn't around when they did wagon trains, but I bet you they did not have white canvas covers.

We're talking about the 1840's here.

Try an internet image search for "covered wagons", "covered wagon covers", and...while yer at it..."ship sails".

also...
Fur Trade tents
Canvas teepees

The majority of examples I found have been some shade of WHITE/off-white/light tan.

BTW...are you aware that, when left outside, fabric will fade/bleach out from exposure to the SUN??

Edited by PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L
add comment
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

OK, it wasn't a dazzling white like freshly bleached sheets but, in general, people looking at unbleached cotton canvas and asked the color will say "White."  Yeah, it's maybe an off-white, "Barely, almost-tan White" or something.
Unbleached Cotton Fabric | Organic & Sustainable Fabric Online

(Pointing at bolt of fabric) What color is that?  Uh...it's white.

The organizers of that event should be subjected to a bit of Socratic thinking"

"Of what were the covers of  wagons made?"

"Um....canvas, I guess."

"Of what is canvas made?"

"Um.....I think it's usually cotton."

"And, in general, what color is cotton grown in the United States?"

"White.  Isn't all cotton white?"

"Actually, no.  Some types, usually not for large commercial production, are light green, or a brownish red. But the huge bulk of it is, indeed, white.  So maybe you should drop your racism and allow these wagons to be shown as the ones that made the trek really were, rather than your revisionist pipe dream."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

OH NO!! :o
I don't dare mention COTTON to that event organizer...it will probably trigger ancestral flashbacks!! :rolleyes:

GOTCHA’!!! :wacko: ^_^

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Some bakeries, usually associated with chain supermarkets, will censor, "Congratulations (name)  Summa Cum Laude!"  Or will just refuse the order.

image.jpeg.bc2dcc3703bc3cce375721d2dfea9842.jpeg

Just as, in the Instagram thread where I found
FB_IMG_1713805653461.thumb.jpg.516bbb8f5105633350983131a996d1c7.jpg
someone asked "What does do. mean?"

So, what DOES "do." mean?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Having spent quite a bit of time around cotton fields, growing it and dealing with growers and gins and related businesses and then working at a knitting mill that made un bleached cotton fabric up in New York years ago and then managing one of their sewing plants down in Arizona I can attest to the fact that cotton fabric is indeed white until it’s dyed. It’s not bleached white, it’s white through every step in the process until it’s dyed. I knew quite a few black people that worked growing it, cultivating it, irrigating it, harvesting it, ginning it etc.. and none of them were offended by its whiteness. I doubt that in the 1840’s they worried about what color their wagon covers were, they just wanted to get out to the west. Thinking that dying your wagon cover so the Indians wouldn’t see it is comical. The Oregon Trail was actually miles wide because there was so much livestock to feed, mules, horses, oxen, etc.. that the wagon trains widened the trail substantially just to keep their stock fed and I’m pretty sure the Indians knew all about it, after all they lived there.

IMG_5028.jpeg

IMG_5029.jpeg

Edited by Yul Lose
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

In the context given did you really not know?  Ir are you just jerking my chain?

I don't know about Angus, but I have never seen "do" used as an abbreviation for anything. So I didn't know.

People frequently guess at WHAT something means. And just as frequently they are wrong.

Edited by Alpo
otto
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I don't know about Angus, but I have never seen "do" used as an abbreviation for anything. So I didn't know.

People frequently guess at WHAT something means. And just as frequently they are wrong.

It was frequently used, as you see, in older documents. 

Research Tips: “Do” Means “Ditto” Except to A.I. | Discovering Nicholas  Ackley

How to Read Passenger Arrival Lists

Sometimes, if there were many entries, there would be the original word, then two or three entries of "do." and then after that the ditto marks we are more familiar with today. 

Or, a mix of the word "ditto" and "do."

Quotation marks (ditto marks ...

I think I first encountered it in 4th grade and just assumed that it was something everyone over the age of about 40 knows.

Edited by Subdeacon Joe
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Folks could use more important things to worry about-and looking at the world today, those things might be coming sooner than we would like.  

• Like 1

yup - first steps to communism is to ban words , rewrite history , turn folks against one another internally and then take control , impression those they think not in agreement or unfit , guess who goes to the gullags first ............................

• Like 1