SASS Wire Forum

How do you shoot Gunfighter?

How do I shoot Gun Fighter? From the hip like it was meant to be shot.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

What's funny is that if a pistol sequence is very difficult, I just concentrate on shooting the targets in the correct order and I don't think about single or double cocking.  Whatever comes out of the revolvers just happens.  Most of the time this works just fine; occasionally, at the end of a string a revolver will just go click.  When that happens, I just shoot it with the other revolver.

I do this. If I try too hard, I mess up.

Widder never told me to not listen or @Krazy Kajun… or not to double cock…Double cocking works for ME!

Hugs!

Scarlett

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Widder never told me to not listen or @Krazy Kajun… or not to double cock…Double cocking works for ME!

Hugs!

Scarlett

It's probably a good habit not to listen to advice from anyone named @Widder, SASS #59054, @Tennessee williams or @Krazy Kajun...

or anyone with KFC in their alias...

• Haha 6

17 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Hugs!

Scarlett

If @Widder, SASS #59054 was wrong about double cocking…he’s known to be wrong about other things too! :lol:

Kajun

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Wait... You're supposed to think about this stuff?  Actually analyze what to do?  Why?  Seems simpler to just do.  It's hard enough remembering which target is next... Change leads?  Cowboys don't do Dressage!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Widder ain't never been wrong about nuthin! We are! :P

Well, I hate to dispute this, BUT....... TN Williams is a friend of mine.  :o

RAINMAKER:  sure hope that Marlin is still running great.

..........Widder

Edited by Widder, SASS #59054
  • Haha 4

I alternate cocking and shooting (cock left shoot right at the same time then switch). The only way to get good and fast at this is lots and lots of dry fire practice. Eventually you won't think about cocking at all (at least that's the goal).

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Sasparilla Groz said:

I Double cock, switch leads, and do all that I can to baffle the spotters.   Sometimes it actually works…..

I shot at a small monthly match near me where most of the shooters were in the 60 second stage range except for myself and another guy and his teenaged kid. The guy was running the timer and I was at the loading table ready to shoot next when the kid was shooting. He shot the stage in like 16 seconds but had several misses. When the TO asked the spotters how many misses he had they all called him clean. His Dad disputed it saying he wasn't counting but saw at least 2 but thought there were even more than that. We laughed about it and his Dad said I guess there's an advantage to shooting faster than the spotters can count. 

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Sasparilla Groz said:

I Double cock, switch leads, and do all that I can to baffle the spotters.   Sometimes it actually works…..

I’ve found adding Black Powder to this mix works even better…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Well, I hate to dispute this, BUT....... TN Williams is a friend of mine.  :o

RAINMAKER:  sure hope that Marlin is still running great.

..........Widder

Runnin' like a champ!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I cock both, then alternate cock.  Usually start with my right, so it can be headed to holster while I'm shooting my last shot from my left pistol.  It is much better to cock right while shooting left, than to wait until right before you shoot that gun to cock it.  Gives the gun time to settle back in your hand.  Also, after shooting one gun, ideally it will be heading for the next target while you're shooting the other.

As far as split pistols, (as unpopular as it is) I don't mind one here and there as it changes things up a little.  I DON'T, however, want 7 split pistols in a 10-stage match!

Possum

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

When I glanced across the  title 

I saw How to shoot A gunfighter , 

first thought was from AMBUSH 

CB 

reckon , I ortta find my glasses :wacko:

I thought the same thing:D

On 4/19/2024 at 10:03 AM, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

When I glanced across the  title 

I saw How to shoot A gunfighter , 

first thought was from AMBUSH 

CB 

reckon , I ortta find my glasses :wacko:

“A bullet to the front of the head demonstrates good marksmanship. A bullet to the back of the head demonstrates good judgement.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3