SASS Wire Forum

Hannah Gutierrez Reed Armorer

foxnews

MAXIMUM TIME: A judge sentenced Hannah Gutierrez Reed to 18 months in prison after a jury found her guilty of involuntary manslaughter in connection to the fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the "Rust" set.

I hope Alec is next!
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

Like OJ Simpson the day of Alec Baldwin’s death will be a good day. 

I have a feeling you sugar-coated that.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

“You were the armorer, the one that stood between a safe weapon and a weapon that could kill someone,” the judge told Gutierrez-Reed. “You alone turned a safe weapon into a lethal weapon. But for you, Ms. Hutchins would be alive, a husband would have his partner and a little boy would have his mother.”

Ms. Reed likely did herself no good by forgetting that phone calls from jail are recorded; calling the jurors idiots, the judge 'paid', and generally expressing self-pity. All before her sentencing....

• Like 4

Good. She showed nothing but an apathic, why me attitude during the entire episode. Hopefully she'll never be permitted to touch another firearm again for the rest of her life due to being a felon. I hope Baldwin's fate follows the same course of action.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

“You were the armorer, the one that stood between a safe weapon and a weapon that could kill someone,” the judge told Gutierrez-Reed.

It’s always been my understanding she wasn’t allowed on the set and wasn’t present when Alec was handed the gun. How is she solely responsible?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

The judge didn't say she was 'solely responsible'.

The rest of the quote:

You alone turned a safe weapon into a lethal weapon. But for you, Ms. Hutchins would be alive, a husband would have his partner and a little boy would have his mother.”

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

It’s always been my understanding she wasn’t allowed on the set and wasn’t present when Alec was handed the gun. How is she solely responsible?

That presumes accurate reporting by the MSM.  Without reading the trial transcript or hearing from someone actually present at the trial, it appears the prosecutor(s) were successful in convincing the jury that she was at least partially responsible.  Her alleged behavior prior to the trial was not helpful.

As for Baldwin, even that despicable POS deserves a fair trial.  Based on the MSM's reporting it sounds like he was guilty of involuntary manslaughter.  If found guilty let's hope the judge holds him to the same standards as Reed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"...i.t sounds like he was guilty of involuntary manslaughter.  If found guilty let's hope the judge holds him to the same standards as Reed..........." 

im in favor of that and i agree with this assessment of the circumstances , my big cpomplaint with him is that he says he didnt pull the trigger - we all know otherwise 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Good. She showed nothing but an apathic, why me attitude during the entire episode. Hopefully she'll never be permitted to touch another firearm again for the rest of her life due to being a felon. I hope Baldwin's fate follows the same course of action.

Even more so when you see who her father is ;)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Even more so when you see who her father is ;)

Yeah, I know who her father is. That's why I couldn't, and still don't, understand her lackadaisical attitude regarding firearms prior to the shooting and after the shooting. I'm sure that the alleged use of pot, alcohol and cocaine didn't help that attitude either. 

She, Baldwin and much of the crew (according to all accounts) have all displayed the "everyone else is to blame but me" mentality. She received the max penalty, by law, for the charges as she should have. Dave Hall, the guy who declared "Cold gun" and handed the gun to Balwin, got 6 months unsupervised probation...basically a slap on the wrist. Evidently, there were many people that contributed to the shooting but as with all things, the buck has to stop somewhere. That somewhere is Reed, Baldwin and Hall.

I fully expect Baldwin will receive the same type slap on the wrist.

• Like 2

Baldwin will never go to trial!!

His case will be plea-bargained and he will walk with less of a slap on the wrist than Hall received!!

Reed is the scapegoat in all of this and she will bear the brunt of the charges!

• Like 4

Some new information that contradicts at least some of what has been previously reported:  https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/mar/01/rust-movie-shooting-assistant-director-armorer

As for Baldwin, I suspect that there will be no plea deal.  If there was going to be a plea deal, it probably would have been offered by now.  So either the prosecution feels they have a very good case or if a plea deal was offered Baldwin rejected it.

Edited by Chantry
  • Thanks 2

She didn't fully do her job and should have put her foot down and said no if they were trying to have her do too many jobs. But I believe they hired her, inexperienced, probably lower paid because they thought they could pressure her into speeding things up, skipping some steps, doing what they (the producers) wanted knowing they couldn't do that with an experienced more highly paid armorer. I could be wrong but this seems like a good possibility. Producer/actor saying let's go right away after a take pushing to move along, supports this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've said it before and I'll say it again..... Its just unfortunate that it wasnt a

SUICIDE SCENE that he was rehearsing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Apart from the specific facts of the case, this lady seems just completely vacuous somehow. Drugging on the set, oblivious to responsibility, and equally oblivious when she's denouncing the jury and the judge in recorded telephone calls before sentencing. Totally clueless. 

There just seems to be no there, there....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Apart from the specific facts of the case, this lady seems just completely vacuous somehow. Drugging on the set, oblivious to responsibility, and equally oblivious when she's denouncing the jury and the judge in recorded telephone calls before sentencing. Totally clueless. 

There just seems to be no there, there....

i have to agree with you on this , she seems way too detached to the reality of this or the gravity , there are people that died 

Like it or not Baldwin the ACTOR is not at fault. That is how the movie industry works.

Baldwin the PRODUCER is guilty of homicide. He was directly responsible for the conditions on set that started this chain of events.

• Like 1

Well if he as an actor hadn't pointed a gun at a person and then pulled the trigger, it wouldn't have happened either.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Like it or not Baldwin the ACTOR is not at fault. That is how the movie industry works.

Baldwin the PRODUCER is guilty of homicide. He was directly responsible for the conditions on set that started this chain of events.

This!   If the prosecutor goes after The Actor they will likely lose, but the same arguments that they successfully used against the armorer and her duties also apply to the The Producer 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Well if he as an actor hadn't pointed a gun at a person and then pulled the trigger, it wouldn't have happened either.

Had Baldwin the Producer followed the written in blood industry standard procedures for shooting that scene, The only thing that bullet would have killed was an expensive mirror 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

1 hour ago, Dilli GaHoot Galoot said:

This!   If the prosecutor goes after The Actor they will likely lose, but the same arguments that they successfully used against the armorer and her duties also apply to the The Producer 

8 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Had Baldwin the Producer followed the written in blood industry standard procedures for shooting that scene, The only thing that bullet would have killed was an expensive mirror 

Whose index finger on his right hand belong to?

The Producer...or the Actor? 

Oh, Hey....Maybe it was Alec Baldwin's finger!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

And the cinematographer would not have been there!

1 minute ago, Cypress Sun said:

Whose index finger on his right hand belong to?

The Producer...or the Actor? 

Oh, Hey....Maybe it was Alec Baldwin's finger!

serious question:  Is it more important to you (or anyone else) how he is held accountable or just that he in some way is held accountable?   The SAG guidelines for handling firearms on set will pretty much ruin any chance of him being held accountable as The Finger that pulled the trigger, but those same guidelines and the laws of NM can and should be used to hold him accountable as The Producer that created the circumstances that predictably led to that gun being in his hand and everything else that went wrong on the set 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Dilli GaHoot Galoot said:

And the cinematographer would not have been there!

serious question:  Is it more important to you (or anyone else) how he is held accountable or just that he in some way is held accountable?   The SAG guidelines for handling firearms on set will pretty much ruin any chance of him being held accountable as The Finger that pulled the trigger, but those same guidelines and the laws of NM can and should be used to hold him accountable as The Producer that created the circumstances that predictably led to that gun being in his hand and everything else that went wrong on the set 

It is important to me that the Person that was handed a Real firearm, did not take the responsibility of checking that firearm, assumed it was unloaded, cocked the hammer, pulled the trigger resulting in a fatality and wounding another, face the repercussions and penalties for his actions.

The charges should have nothing to do with semantics, it should have to do with personal responsibility, or lack thereof, one's actions.

Edited by Cypress Sun
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

It is important to me that the Person that was handed a Real firearm, did not take the responsibility of checking that firearm, assumed it was unloaded, cocked the hammer, pulled the trigger resulting in a fatality and wounding another, face the repercussions and penalties for his actions.

The charges should have nothing to do with semantics, it should have to do with personal responsibility, or lack thereof, one's actions.

SAG rules for handling firearms on set prohibit actors from checking the firearm and on set they are not to be handed a 'real firearm'.  If you have a qualified armorer, that never happens.   The charges must have everything to do with what you believe to be semantics if you want a convection you have to show that the "person" on trial violated the rules in a way that lead to a death.   The Actor Baldwin did what actors are supposed to do, the only way to hold him accountable is to show that as The Producer he failed in his responsibility  which he clearly did.   I would also like them to look at why he chose NM and why he hired Gutierrez-Reed, if it these choices were specifically to save money and skirt around other laws by bullying inexperienced staff I believe that should be considered in the sentencing 

• Thanks 1

So my question is this, who is really the bad guy here, I’m pretty dam sure Baldwin dident knowingly put a live round in that gun, yea he is responsible he dident check his weapon, I am equally sure Gutierrez Reed dident put a live round in that mix because she sure as hell knows what would of happened if a live round ever went off but she dident check the gun either. But she knows she would never work on a set again ever. So someone managed to get a live round into that mix somehow and has walked away and NO ONE is even looking for them. Think about it people the two folks with the most to loose are not going to do something as dumb as ruining their whole lives on purpose. There is a very guilty person out there either smiling for some sick reason or cleaning the sh*t out of their pants because no one is smart enough to be looking for them

4 minutes ago, Oak Ridge Regulator said:

who is really the bad guy here,

The Armorer is because it was her job to insure firearms were handled safely 

The Producer is because it was his job to hire people qualified to do their job and to replace them when they are not able to do the job they were hired for, especially when 'the job' is to keep everyone on set safe 

SAG on firearms hadaling

https://www.sagaftra.org/sag-aftra-statement-regarding-new-charges-rust-tragedy#:~:text=An actor's job is not,accurate operation of that firearm.

Edited by Dilli GaHoot Galoot
  • Thanks 1

Again you miss the point completely, someone mixed one or more real bullets into the group that went in to that gun, why in the he*l would either of the two people on trial risk everything they have to do that. They wouldn’t, Yes they are both guilty of being stupid and careless but I’m sure neither one mixed in a live round …… but some one did. …. And walked away while everyone else is pointing fingers at the two easiest people to blame, any detective worth a sh*t is thanking his lucky stars he dident get stuck with this case

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Oak Ridge Regulator said:

Again you miss the point completely, someone mixed one or more real bullets into the group that went in to that gun, why in the he*l would either of the two people on trial risk everything they have to do that. They wouldn’t, Yes they are both guilty of being stupid and careless but I’m sure neither one mixed in a live round …… but some one did. …. And walked away while everyone else is pointing fingers at the two easiest people to blame, any detective worth a sh*t is thanking his lucky stars he dident get stuck with this case

Gutierrez-Reed bought ammo that matched what was in the gun and she is the one that loaded the gun.  There is no one else to look for.

And she did it because she was criminally incompetent at her job, something The Producer had been made aware of and chose to do nothing about 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Oak Ridge Regulator said:

2 minutes ago, Dilli GaHoot Galoot said:

Gutierrez-Reed bought ammo that matched what was in the gun and she is the one that loaded the gun.  There is no one else to look for.

And she did it because she was criminally incompetent at her job, something The Producer had been made aware of and chose to do nothing about 

I still remember when this first happened that someone on the set said that the crew had been out earlier that day plinking with that gun. While the Armorer and Producer are ultimately responsible for it, I can't help thinking that there is somebody else that knows what actually happened. 

We'd all like to see Baldwin go to jail because of the kind of clown that he is. We also have a hard time getting our heads around his not making sure he had a Safe Gun because that's how WE are trained. Unfortunately that's not how Hollywierd works. Even though he IS responsible as the Producer, I'll still bet he gets nothing more than Probation, if that.  

• Like 1