SASS Wire Forum

Its 2024 is your club stuck in the 90’s?

I agree 100%. I personally try my best to post pictures and results from our Memphis Gunslingers events. We have a FB page and I try to post upcoming matches to keep everyone informed. Find us, like us, come shoot with us.

IMG_7834.jpeg

Edited by Skullbone Willie
Added content
  • Like 1

Few points as a relative young shooter at 36 and a new shooter in his second year.

Clubs should probably take online apps and payments across the board. The question of what a service charges is easy, charge for convenience.  If a service charges $2 per swipe  raise online entry by $2

Mail $50, online/CC $52.

This is a very very standard practice for companies.

Websites should be functional but they do little for attracting new shooters as they would have to find the website first and with Google lead services and the money spent to get priority first page listing....good luck on getting a rural club in the Midwest to pop up with an easy general search.

What I do know 100% is the "old way" needs to last or you will alienate the very core of this sport.

I've helped a few guys on here and a few guys at my club with general phone stuff and without at all meaning to sound condescending or anything, I feel sorry for the 60+ generation dealing with the technology that is today's world.

It's fast, it's unesasarally complicated and getting more so everyday....not to mention the vulnerability it gives them to scamers and hackers.

Also, it ain't that big a deal guys.

I do not have checks, and I have to stop just to get cash for my monthly match and thats the only time i have cash....big deal.

Also, to adress one post on phones at matches....all my significant people know, I check my phone before the start, phone goes in the gun cart and I do NOT look at it until the last person shoots the last stage...nothing to do with Era roleplay, though that's valid...but it's a distraction and I'm there to have a good time with the guys and gals that actually showed up to participate....be present.

• Like 6

On 3/20/2024 at 7:25 AM, Sedalia Dave said:

I like Practiscore. Like anything else there is a learning curve. To me the biggest benefit is that it has real money supporting it. So there is long term support. All of the other scoring program's lifespan relies on 1 or two people to maintain. If they stop then the program dies.  Case in point A.C.E.S. Great program till the developer went onto other things.

I'm just starting to explore the online side of Practiscore. It looks pretty good.

Absolutely! 

I’m hoping the North Alabama Regulators will go one step further and take payments as well. They  already use it for AL State and Southeast Regional and it’s pretty awesome that I can login and see who is on my posse AND change posse if I wanted too; plus scores are up pretty quickly as well!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are all different. I struggle with technology, regardless of how much training I don't get it, and it hates me. X+Y means little to me although I always got word problems solved before everyone else. I'm a hands on guy, welder, carpenter type. Others, get the technology and have trouble with simple construction tasks. I still write checks, I have incredible printing and like to show it off, actually I've had bad luck and had my debit card hacked numerous times. 

We tried electronic registration, shooters were to send payment (check), didn't have any issues. Except a few people signed up and didn't show, after awards were made.

Payment and registration is moot without marketing and getting folks out to the range. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Assassin said:

We are all different. I struggle with technology, regardless of how much training I don't get it, and it hates me. X+Y means little to me although I always got word problems solved before everyone else. I'm a hands on guy, welder, carpenter type. Others, get the technology and have trouble with simple construction tasks. I still write checks, I have incredible printing and like to show it off, actually I've had bad luck and had my debit card hacked numerous times. 

We tried electronic registration, shooters were to send payment (check), didn't have any issues. Except a few people signed up and didn't show, after awards were made.

Payment and registration is moot without marketing and getting folks out to the range. 

Thank You!

On 3/18/2024 at 5:13 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Young people can't write a check and mail it? So they won't go to the shoot? If they want to go they'll do it. How lazy have we become? 

They're not lazy. They pay with a card, PayPal, Zello etc. Most don't even have a check book.

• Like 5

Illowa Irregulars enhanced its website four years ago.  We started accepting both paper and on-line registrations in late 2022 - in time for the 2023Illinois State Championship.   We are taking both online and paper registrations again this year for the 2024 State Championship.  

My goal was to make signing up as easy as possible using any method the customer wants to use.  Last year 56% of registration came in online.  This year we are running 66%.   In the end, I don't care which form the registrant uses - I just want to provide them with whatever option they are comfortable with and find easy to use.

Other nice things about online registrations? 

• The money is deposited automatically into our bank account according to a frequency I select
    • No trips to the bank or fiddling with my phone to do mobile deposit of a hand-written check
  • I can import the registrant's information directly into my registration spreadsheet
    • Actually, more of a download/then link process
  • I don't have to decipher handwriting or worry about making a typing error
  • Waivers are incorporated into the form so with one click, everything is done
  • The shooter can select category and order/pay for extra meals, t-shirts, etc., 
  • The shooter gets an instant email acknowledgment
    • I still send them an email confirming our receipt

In terms of the credit card fees, we consider the fees a cost of doing business, so we absorb them.  We used PayPal in 2022 because it was easier for me to set up at the time.  I switched to Stripe this year.  Between the two I prefer Stripe.  Square's good I'm sure, but WP-Forms has a ready-made integration with Stripe that is provided as part of our subscription level so that is what we're using.  I'm very satisfied.   

I agree with several of the previous comments about the need to have a quality website.  IMHO, almost every club should have an easy to access, clean, and well-designed website that provides and makes it easy to find, information about the club matches, scores, and other activities. 

I (grudgingly) use FB but do so only to enhance our website communications.  Virtually all of our FB posts are web posts that autocross-linked to FB, and then point back to our website.   I personally would never consider using FB as our primary means of communicating with our shooters or potential shooters (i.e.., as a replacement for our website),  but . . . , that's just me.  You may feel differently, and if you do I wish you success.

Edited by Popcorn Kelly
year correction
  • Like 7

On 3/25/2024 at 10:03 PM, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

They're not lazy. They pay with a card, PayPal, Zello etc. Most don't even have a check book.

It's not that hard to write a check! I understand if they don't have a checkbook but they can always get a money order!

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

It's not that hard to write a check! I understand if they don't have a checkbook but they can always get a money order!

It's not hard to make an online payment either.  Change is inevitable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/17/2024 at 8:41 PM, Idaho Gunslinger said:

I would agree with this. I think there are more Grandma's on Facebook than there are young people. The millennials really took to Facebook because we were just kids then and it was the cool new thing. Older generations followed after. A lot of the younger generations (keep in mind millennials are almost out of their 20's now and many are in their 40's) don't even use Facebook because it's for "old people" now. 

I suspect the bulk of cowboy action shooters are going to be older people who are either retired or at least have their kids out of the house. They are likely the only ones who will have the discretionary income to throw at this sport, if not that then maybe they are at least the ones who now have more free time and are looking for.new hobbies. 

And as a middle of the pack millennial, I hate having to go dig out my check book. I think I have wrote 10 checks in the last 5 years. A few were for cowboy things and the rest were to the damned DMV. I rarely even have cash on me anymore. The only reason I even keep any around right now is for those monthly cowboy matches. 

As a young person in the game, It would be wise to have both a Facebook page and an Instagram page (as most people my age are on Instagram). On my page on Instagram I see lots of reels (short videos for you fuds) of individual shooters and also cowboy mounted shooters. Things like that inspired me to join a year and a half ago.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Jedediah Westwood said:

On my page on Instagram I see lots of reels (short videos for you fuds) of individual shooters and also cowboy mounted shooters. 

:D  :D  :P  :D  :D

57 minutes ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

:D  :D  :P  :D  :D

Funny thing about that statement is that one day he'll be trying to remember what he called the older folks "back in the day".

FUDS...bah....he'll forget anyway.:P

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Lucky Lead Pepper said:

It's not hard to make an online payment either.  Change is inevitable.

I get it but It may not be so easy for the club!

Edited by Rye Miles #13621

On 3/29/2024 at 5:57 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

We old “Fuds” aren’t comprehending.  Fuds were raised to drive into town, find a parking place, walk into a store for the item(s) we want, remember where we parked and wonder home.  Youngster go online click click and the item(s) are delivered to their door.  Why should us “Fuds” expect the youngsters to learn the old ways when their way is more efficient?

• Haha 2

I am an officer of a local SASS club and a larger, separate club.  I comment on the situation at each club separately.

SASS Club:  There is limited or no cell reception at the club range with any carrier.  In case of an emergency we tell match directors to drive a quarter mile to the range office and have them call for help.  Our number one request to the range is to get cell coverage.  We cannot process match fees onsite.  We have an active club website and Facebook page.  These are accessed regularly but cannot accept payments for monthly or annual matches.  They have good location information and match schedules.

Larger Club:  We changed from mechanical locks to a key swipe system years ago.  This decreased the administrative burden for the club and prevented duplicate keys being cut for non-members.  It also allows quickly terminating access for rogue members.

We are on our third website.  We've had to change because previous software became obsolete and some hosts had poor security.  We now renew annual memberships online and do not allow paper renewals.  The admin burden of 1,500 paper renewals was too great and most members prefer online renewal.  I found the renewal process clumsy but workable if one followed instructions carefully.  It was not intuitive.

Some matches are now registering shooters and reporting scores Practiscore.  This reduced the admin burden for the match director and got scores posted days earlier.  

image.png.7c646b5f929812e2d55aa6f20c4fb335.png

Edited by Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971
Practiscore sponsorship info
  • Like 2

With Practiscore  match scores in my area are usually available within one or two hours. Sometimes they are fully posted as you're driving away from the match. Also you can usually see the results before leaving the match prior to them being posted online. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

We old “Fuds” aren’t comprehending.  Fuds were raised to drive into town, find a parking place, walk into a store for the item(s) we want, remember where we parked and wonder home.  Youngster go online click click and the item(s) are delivered to their door.  Why should us “Fuds” expect the youngsters to learn the old ways when their way is more efficient?

I’d pay online if it was offered and I’m an old Fud but my point is getting the CLUBS to accept the new payment methods whether it’s  CC, Zell, Venmo or whatever. It may not be easy depending on who handles the money coming in to the club. 

For our Annual match (about 70 shooters) we use a simple Google form (free with a Google account). The “form” imports to a Google sheet to store all the data.  Then use a free “extension” for google sheets called autocrat to mail merge a response form set to immediately send registration confirmation with info where to mail check…. have not set up electronic payment and dont think we will as this is working well.

we use PS only for scoring. I use CAS in a smaller club and that also works well. 

Our club is not stuck in the 90s. It is stuck in the 70's, the 1870's and always will be.

Snakebite

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

Our club is not stuck in the 90s. It is stuck in the 70's, the 1870's and always will be.

Snakebite

So no 1887's, 1892's, 1894's or 1897's?

No safety glasses.

No hearing protection.

No 911 service.

No motor vehicles.

Dysentary, polio, needless amputations and incurable fever.

No antibiotics.

No heart meds.

No running water.

No air conditioning.

Sign me up for a big ol' slice of that.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

So no 1887's, 1892's, 1894's or 1897's?

No safety glasses.

No hearing protection.

No 911 service.

No motor vehicles.

Dysentary, polio, needless amputations and incurable fever.

No antibiotics.

No heart meds.

No running water.

No air conditioning.

Sign me up for a big ol' slice of that.

You forgot dying from a cavity when the infection went into the brain.