SASS Wire Forum

Rules for Gunfighting

Number seven - I first heard that one from Peter Capstick. Article in American Rifleman. He shot something with a 700 nitro and it went down. And he shot it again. He said that those shells were $7 a piece - I should mention that this article was back in the '80s or maybe earlier. $7 was a whole bunch of money back then - those shells were $7 a piece, but when his lily-white skin was at stake, the money didn't matter.

• Like 2

My Dad was a Marine. He died many years ago. He taught me boxing, knife fighting, judo and street fighting (no rules).

I remember once I asked him about gun fights. He said “The best place to be in a gun fight is somewhere else.”

• Like 6

1. Bring a gun

2. Bring friends with guns

3 Shoot til the threat changes shape or catches fire

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Reminds me of a quote my old school Japanese Sensei told us about street fighting in broken English many years ago. ‘’ There’s no fair, there’s no not fair; there’s win & there’s lose”

• Like 4

Our son's USMC recon platoon used this motto prior to a fight;

Attempt to win their hearts and minds first, but be willing to splatter them next.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

Our son's USMC recon platoon used this motto prior to a fight;

Attempt to win their hearts and minds first, but be willing to splatter them next.

We used to say "When you've got 'em by the b@lls, their hearts and minds will follow".

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Canton Chris said:

Reminds me of a quote my old school Japanese Sensei told us about street fighting in broken English many years ago. ‘’ There’s no fair, there’s no not fair; there’s win & there’s lose”

Fair? That's where you go to get funnel cake.

• Like 1

If you find yourself in a fair fight, YOUR TACTICS SUCK!!’

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

#6 stands out in my mind.
I read so many news stories about how somebody slows down a perp with a firearm, but fails to plant him in the ground.

There is a reason why the 45 ACP was invented for knock-down and stopping power.
I have nothing against 9mm, just zero desire to ever own one for a gunfight.

21 minutes ago, bgavin said:

I read so many news stories about how somebody slows down a perp with a firearm, but fails to plant him in the ground.

There is a reason why the 45 ACP was invented for knock-down and stopping power.

I've seen some videos on the youtube where people are testing a 9mm and a .45, same manufacturer, same bullet, (Hydro Shok, Gold Dot, HST, etc.), and most modern premium 9mm bullets give very similar performance to the .45s. I wouldn't feel undergunned if I was carrying a 9mm. I don't feel undergunned with a 5 shot .38 either. That being said, my EDC is still a 1911 in .45. I also have a Charter Arms Pitbull in .45.  

Tuco says it best!

IF YOUR GONNA SHOOT, SHOOT DON'T TALK!

th.jpeg.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bgavin said:

I like the .45.  It's nice to have a bullet that starts out at the diameter the 9mm hopes it can grow up to be.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

I've never heard of anyone that ever said "Gee, I'd rather be shot with a .22 rather than a 9mm or .45". 

If I was going to be shot I'd rather be shot with a 22 than a 45. Stand a better chance of not dying.

• Thanks 1