SASS Wire Forum

Does nobody take a cab anymore

Alpo

Or is an Uber just so much cheaper?

They throw that out in TV shows a lot. Castle episode and Castle stole Ryan and Esposito's car. Embarrassed they didn't want to tell them back at the precinct their car been stolen so as they traveled around the city on their job, they kept taking Ubers.

NCIS Los Angeles. Torres from DC is out in LA, and budget only allows one rental per two agents, and Gibbs 2.0 has the rental car so Torres had to take an Uber to get where he was going. Then he was going to catch a ride back with the blond LA cop, and here comes a drive-by and shot up the cop's pickup truck, and Torres says that he would call the Uber.

Seems like nobody on TV catches a cab anymore - they take an Uber.

Me - I've never taken either one. Anytime I went anywhere it was in an actual car. Privately owned vehicle. No cabs, No buses, no Subway.

I have Not taken a Bus , Cab Sence 1985 or ever used a Uber ! 

I don't even ever see Yellow Cabs anymore  ? 

Haven’t taken a cab since living in NYC eons ago. Stand on the curb and wave one down. Most of the traffic in Manhattan is cabs and the trips relatively short which allows a driver to pick up another fare after dropping one off. 

Outside of densely populated areas, one could call for a cab by phone, but that business was taken over by Uber which could perform the same service for far less. It doesn’t make economic sense to have a fleet of cabs roaming the streets anymore. 

Edited by Abilene Slim SASS 81783
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In most cities Uber is cheaper than cabs. 
Uber drivers operate to get high ratings and good reviews. The car is always clean and doesn’t smell like a craphole.

You know what car to look for and you get a photo of the driver before they show up.

There is no fighting over a cab with Uber. The car that shows is your ride. No disputes. 
You can get an Uber any time of day or night every day of the week. 

I will never ride in a taxi cab again. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

In most cities Uber is cheaper than cabs. 
Uber drivers operate to get high ratings and good reviews. The car is always clean and doesn’t smell like a craphole.

You know what car to look for and you get a photo of the driver before they show up.

There is no fighting over a cab with Uber. The car that shows is your ride. No disputes. 
You can get an Uber any time of day or night every day of the week. 

I will never ride in a taxi cab again. 

Bingo and I’ve found that the Uber drivers, IMHO, are much safer drivers than most cab drivers I’ve ridden with. The Uber cars I’ve ridden in always seem in excellent condition compared to taxis that seem ready to fall apart.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Irish Pat said:

Cindy and I used Taxis to get around Bourbon Street last week. This sign was in the cab proving you are in Big Easy

IMG_7464.jpeg

Uber can charge this fee to your account after you leave the car.  I had an employee mistakenly charge a bachelor party Uber to the company account instead of his personal account.  One of the passengers was completely drunk and obnoxious so the driver had added a puked in car fee of $150.  We had to fight it with Uber who did remove the fee because the driver couldn't provide pictures of said damage.  Also be aware of surge pricing.

I took a cab last year.  It was a 6month old vehicle,  clean, no smells.  You can schedule a cab in advance so you'll be on time for an appointment.   A medium size city may not have an Uber driver when you need it as they are not scheduled employees like cabbies are.

i can count the number of cabs ive taken on one hand in my lifetime , ive never ever taken an uber or any other off the books type ride - i have accepted a ride from friends on occasion a couple times in life  , ill let my wife drive [mostly in her car] when needed or opportune , thats not so bad to get where we need to be  , 

last cab i was in was 2012 at shot show from the airport to the hotel then back again , not a new car but a clean car and a nice guy both ways , im not sure what size community las vegas falls in but i was glad not to be driving there , 

before that my experiences were in  other big cities  like chicago or omaha and similar - never had a bad ride - but that was the 70s & 80s era so a long time ago , i mostly drive myself unless riding with the wife these days , i like my old truck and wll drive it where i need to go , or i wont go , kinda like flying these days 

Edited by watab kid
  • Like 1

I still see taxi cabs around quite a bit, so people must still use them.

I haven't used Uber, and have only used a taxi 3 times.  The last two were a New Year's Eve. Scheduled it the day before, picked us up at 20:00, drove us the mile and a half to the restaurant*, same cab picked us up just after midnight and took us home.  He got a nice tip.

*We had such a good relationship with the staff there that even though we had decided we wanted to go out for once in NYE a few days after the place had officially stopped taking reservations they said, "Sure!  We'll get you seated." It pays to treat the staff well.

ive seen cabs here lately - one this morning when i stopped for coffee at the local convenience store but only the driver in it that i could see , lot of "care cabs" and such here catering to those that are lder and need to be somewhere they cant get to on their own , i think its a great service but have no idea how it works , the local bus service not nly has a regular route but also has a call service to get folks where they need to go , we also have a service that will pick u=you up at your door and eliver you to the MPLS/STP airport terminal of your choice dor a reasonable sum - round trip ,as needed , 

i know this because i worked with the local metro system and knew the guy that split from there to start that service , i think its been very successful , but then ive been outa touch for a long time , its still opperating tho , 

• Like 1

cabs in NYC had a monopoly. thus car services started, then came Uber and Lyft. In NYC they added another wrinkle, green cabs, etc.

In Europe, I used Uber, the drivers were more reliable than taxis and the companies did not have a card to charge by default. I also had a friend who would call a driver for me. Preferred driver was Igor, I used him a lot if he was available.

I have a beef with the ride hail industry in the US, but that is a soapbox ))))

Now I get my rides from either my daughter or a Senior care business.

• Like 1

OK , in reflection i recall a few hitch hikes back in the late 60s but im not gonna say i did what some did back then , ill admit to a few including one at the grad after party in high school - in hind sight that should have been a warning of the end of my first ,mariage - that haven't happened yet but i was young and dumb at that time ...but thought i knew what was going on , little did i know , 

hows that go - "wish i knew what i know now when  i was younger " , yup its all true , everything your folks' and grandparents said - all true ,  just a different time and place ----mine even lived to tell me so , twice .....a little smarter now , i think , we shall see ...................

Edited by watab kid

I’ve never been in an Uber and the last time I was in a cab was when my cousin and I were in NYC. We parked our car and took a cab most of the time. That was in 1966.

When I was stationed in Turkey back in 1974, I thought I had time-traveled back to the 50's.
I was wondering where all the classic cars from that era had disappeared to, and Lo and Behold their afterlife turned them into taxis in Turkey.

65821903-retro-car-taxis-on-the-streets-of-istanbul.thumb.jpg.47dfa68910c40c0e93b2fee555736550.jpg

Snip-it_1706275709816.thumb.jpg.1755219b8a25aa1c8c1438d8e94c2a0d.jpg
You would see them on any road wherever you went. Never rode in one myself though.
If you are wondering what a "dolmus" is, they were usually mini vans that would travel a particular route [ like our buses stateside ], and they would pick you up anywhere [ no designated stops ], for a small fee and drop you off.

I still see taxi cabs at the airport and also those hotel buses that take people to the airport. I'm sure there's plenty of Ubers too. In fact my neighbors just went to the airport last week and took an Uber.

10 hours ago, Irish Pat said:

Cindy and I used Taxis to get around Bourbon Street last week. This sign was in the cab proving you are in Big Easy

IMG_7464.jpeg

We are headed to NOLA at the end of January for Mardi Gras.
This will be our very first experience with Uber or Lyft.

Uber, cars must be 5 years or newer, document special insurance, you can order the size vehicle you need, they send you the car, color, license # and drivers name. Charged at end of the ride. Tips are optional. You rate the driver/ride. They can loose their contract if they get bad reviews.

Cabs are worn out junk with angry worn out drivers.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 9:23 PM, Alpo said:

Or is an Uber just so much cheaper?

They throw that out in TV shows a lot. Castle episode and Castle stole Ryan and Esposito's car. Embarrassed they didn't want to tell them back at the precinct their car been stolen so as they traveled around the city on their job, they kept taking Ubers.

NCIS Los Angeles. Torres from DC is out in LA, and budget only allows one rental per two agents, and Gibbs 2.0 has the rental car so Torres had to take an Uber to get where he was going. Then he was going to catch a ride back with the blond LA cop, and here comes a drive-by and shot up the cop's pickup truck, and Torres says that he would call the Uber.

Seems like nobody on TV catches a cab anymore - they take an Uber.

Me - I've never taken either one. Anytime I went anywhere it was in an actual car. Privately owned vehicle. No cabs, No buses, no Subway.

Is Uber paying the shows for product placement?

That's a thought, but an episode I watched tonight, the murder victim was an Uber driver. Except that they didn't call it Uber. It was Jetter.

The last time I took a cab was a ride from Clearwater to Tampa Intl. Airport, about 20 miles for a flat rate charge of $15 IIRC. To set up the cab ride, it felt like I was trying get a mortgage over the phone, I guess it was for security purposes. The cab driver spoke little, if any, English and the cab was about as clean as the inside of a well-used dumpster. Never took another cab anywhere.

To go to the airport from then on out, we called for a an Airport Limo. Sounds luxurious but it's really just a window van with a bunch of seats.

Still see cabs around but far fewer in numbers than they used to be. Have taken a couple of Uber rides without incident.