SASS Wire Forum

LaPierre, Longtime N.R.A. Leader, Faces Trial That Could End His Reign - Stepping Down

The first link has the more thorough story.

If he'd stepped down years ago the NRA would be in far better shape. The fundraising stats really tell the whole story-- longtime supporters have long been turned off by his rule.

We see this repeated throughout history, in all sorts of contexts. The good and effective leader stays on far too long. He comes to identify himself with the organization. Corruption ensues. 

As Lord Acton said, "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."

Edited by Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 6

I am a life member. Numerous times I have been offered upgrades to Benefactor and such. I pass. I donate to the NRA, the PVF and the ILA, but I do not think I will upgrade until some things change. 

If it weren’t for the NRA we’d all be shooting guns of the 1800’s, not the 1900’s and 2000’s. Pun intended. 
Many people rail against the organization due to the actions of one man. One man is not the NRA. I am…and so are many like me. So are many of you. In the past, present and hopefully into the future. 
Because of that one man the Left and the haters of our Constitution and our freedom think that the internal rebellion that infects the NRA is actually their doing. Much of it is, but until LaPierre is gone the NRA is weakened. He needs to go so that the NRA can once again rise and do what it has done for decades. Fight for the freedom for Americans to keep and bear arms to thwart tyranny and to exercise their rights as free Americans.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

I am a life member. Numerous times I have been offered upgrades to Benefactor and such. I pass. I donate to the NRA, the PVF and the ILA, but I do not think I will upgrade until some things change. 

If it weren’t for the NRA we’d all be shooting guns of the 1800’s, not the 1900’s and 2000’s. Pun intended. 
Many people rail against the organization due to the actions of one man. One man is not the NRA. I am…and so are many like me. So are many of you. In the past, present and hopefully into the future. 
Because of that one man the Left and the haters of our Constitution and our freedom think that the internal rebellion that infects the NRA is actually their doing. Much of it is, but until LaPierre is gone the NRA is weakened. He needs to go so that the NRA can once again rise and do what it has done for decades. Fight for the freedom for Americans to keep and bear arms to thwart tyranny and to exercise their rights as free Americans.

If LaPierre truly cared about the NRA he would have stepped down. Instead he dug in his heels and did a lot of damage to the organization.

• Like 13
  • Sad 1

It’s too bad it has to come to this. He should have been gone long ago. Wonder what the membership would be had he not been at the helm?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

It’s too bad it has to come to this. He should have been gone long ago. Wonder what the membership would be had he not been at the helm?

It definitely would be better. But looking at it from the glass is half full perspective, allot of other pro gun organizations have stepped up to the plate and are doing some amazing work. In the end if the NRA returns to their former self maybe it will benefit the rights of Americans more than ever having multiple effective organizations 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

im a life member as well , but ive been calling for him to step down for years now , refusing to fund till he and his cronies are gone , they are crippling a needed asset in our fight against those that want to take our 2nd away , we need the work done and we need the NRA but we dont need the admin as it exists , there is a lot of funding being withheld from the organization over this , 

• Like 8

I am also a NRA lifer, I’ve donated here and there but I support LaPierre to step down, he should have done it already. Sometimes the leaders of the NRA are oblivious to what their members want! They do great things though, especially NRA-ILA 

Edited by Rye Miles #13621
  • Like 3

LaPierre will fight tooth and nail to retain his position as the "king" of the NRA. Why, you ask? For a $2,000,000++ salary + perks, most people would fight for their "job". The difference between "most people" and LaPierre is that "most people" don't have multiple clouds of corruption and funds misappropriation hanging over their heads.

LaPierre only cares about two things...himself and money. If he actually cared about the NRA, gun owners and gun rights, he would have stepped down years ago. Instead, he and his cronies have spent tens of millions of YOUR donations/membership fees on legal fees in a (so far) successful attempt to retain their leadership titles and salaries. 

Sadly and ominously, the NRA is a shadow of it's former self. For the NRA to once again become the leader in 2nd Amendment advocacy, LaPierre has to go...and go NOW before it's too late to repair the damage done by LaPierre and his pals.

Edited by Cypress Sun
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Will the NRA pay his legal fees? Anyone know??

• Thanks 1

We have been all along. Why would they stop now?

• Like 7

There is too much money involved on both the pro-gun and anti-gun sides.   Most of the organizations (again on both sides) do not want a decisive ruling, partly because they aren't completely confident that they will win and if they do win a decisive victory in court, there will no longer be a need for the organization or their well paying jobs.

Or perhaps I have become too cynical

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I seem to remember that after Tom Selleck the NRA was going to get Ollie North to come on board. as their spokesperson. I helped put on NRA banquets for years in our area before COVID. The NRA field rep told me that LaPierre did not want Ollie exposing what was going on 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Chantry said:

There is too much money involved on both the pro-gun and anti-gun sides.   Most of the organizations (again on both sides) do not want a decisive ruling, partly because they aren't completely confident that they will win and if they do win a decisive victory in court, there will no longer be a need for the organization or their well paying jobs.

So you’re saying both sides want to keep the lawsuits going? That is pretty cynical. I would think both sides would want to win so they can use that for more donations. That’s pretty cynical too ha ha :P

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

So you’re saying both sides want to keep the lawsuits going? That is pretty cynical. I would think both sides would want to win so they can use that for more donations. That’s pretty cynical too ha ha :P

I'm saying neither side wants a decisive win.    Can't fund raise very well when there is virtually no chance of winning in court.

Maybe I'm not seeing or hearing it, but most of the anti-gun groups have been pretty quiet after the last couple of Supreme Court decisions

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

The fundraising stats really tell the whole story-- longtime supporters have long been turned off by his rule.

And I am one of those long time supporters who is turned off.
I give to the others that get out and fight.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

They did get North on board, but he resigned.  Can't recall the issues.

The issues are pretty well documented and available on line. 

8 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

They did get North on board, but he resigned.  Can't recall the issues.

Ollie started exposing what was going on at the NRA and how LaPierre was misusing OUR dues and donations.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Smacks of tv evangelists…..

The problem with many large and small corporate leaders is the co-mingling of lifestyle with business. 
Retreats, seminars, clothing, apparel, cars, hand-outs, boats, real estate,etc- calling it all legitimate business expenses that really have no legitimate business purpose. Real estate may prove to be an asset, but in terms of generating profit,  often times these non essentials are liabilities solely used as a means of expensing out business revenue to prop up lifestyle.  Business revenue is used to substitute a person using their own post-tax earned income to buy their (or others) personal goods and luxuries. Plain and simple, doing such is fraud, though many call it “writing off”, when it is in fact fraudulently expensing out personal items to the business ( or non profit). But that’s my view….

Government agencies and bureaucrats are equally guilty. 

I’m self employed and never have just won’t do this. I figure we’re one administration away from regulatory reform, and though I’m not a big fish anyone would look out for, going back 7 years on an audit, it’s hard to sort out back that far to legitimize something as little as a fast food meal, much less an RV or $60-70k truck.

He deserves all the scrutiny coming at him. It comes with the position. If he plays victim and declares a crisis, cry someone else a river….

Edited by Dirty Dan Dawkins
  • Like 6

I will also continue to support the NRA. I also would like to see Wayne hit the road jack.

My biggest miff is that everytime I send a donation, they use it to fill my mailbox with more junk mail begging for more. Just use my donation to support 2A issues and do the begging on email instead.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I'm still an instructor and Chief RSO, and still contributing to the shooting sports and gun rights by training new shooters, RSOs, and supervising ranges.  Regardless of what one man did, it's the best nationally recognized training out there.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chantry said:

Not cynical at all.  100% accurate.

No fight, no lawyers, no lobbyists.

Yes, the NRA does "good".  But what it is far and away the best at is protecting the paychecks of it's upper echelon and the lawyers & lobbyists.  I hope they clean house.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Chantry said:

I'm saying neither side wants a decisive win.    Can't fund raise very well when there is virtually no chance of winning in court.

Maybe I'm not seeing or hearing it, but most of the anti-gun groups have been pretty quiet after the last couple of Supreme Court decisions

I disagree, there's no fund raising off LaPierre, everyone can't stand the dude! 

33 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I disagree, there's no fund raising off LaPierre, everyone can't stand the dude! 

He comes across as a stiff, a prick, a legalistic, opportunistic bureaucrat. He may be a nice ordinary guy, but he sure doesn’t exude he can in anyway relate to the “common man.”

Kinda like…never mind.

Edited by Dirty Dan Dawkins
  • Like 3

My $ goes to the Second Amendment Foundation.  Not that the NRA doesn't serve a purpose but until Wayne is gone....  The NRA makes a nice punching bag while 4-5 smaller groups are winning the battle behind the scenes.  

I think one of the Pro Gun Youtubers was right when he said that the biassed NY AG will do us a favor getting rid of Wayne 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Something just dawned on me. A far fetched dystopian theory.

Do you think perhaps someone or a political body like Soros’ is backing LaPiierre to sow seeds of discontent in the strongest pro 2A organization in the USA?

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

I'm still an instructor and Chief RSO, and still contributing to the shooting sports and gun rights by training new shooters, RSOs, and supervising ranges.  Regardless of what one man did, it's the best nationally recognized training out there.

Cyrus, I agree.  Despite NYS's vendetta against the NRA, it remains the premier training agency for the average joe.  I would love to cough up $2k to go to Gunsite or other training academies, but that has never been feasible.  I was able to become an NRA Training Counselor.this last year, so now I can pass it on and, like you, one day leave a legacy of safer shooting sports.  All because of the NRA, despite the allegations of impropriety on the part of a few.

• Like 3