SASS Wire Forum

Car questions.....

Dirty Dan Dawkins

Maybe some of you older fellas can tell me....

Is that a three speed on the column?

What's the best way to repair a cracked headliner like that?

Is that a manual choke knob below the dash?

image.thumb.png.1490d1dd6bfafb9ca3f3e8fad7aa8a46.png

If you get to where you can look just forward of her toes, there are two pedals. Clutch and brake. Yep, 3 on the tree.

BS

PS: I'm not sure, but are those an early form of airbags??

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

4 minutes ago, Barry Sloe said:

If you get to where you can look just forward of her toes, there are two pedals. Clutch and brake. Yep, 3 on the tree.

BS

PS: I'm not sure, but are those an early form of airbags??

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

They certainly look reinforced.

From that time period, the headliner is probably fabric, so not cracked, but torn. The knob below the middle of the dash could be a choke, or possibly cowl vent.

Imis ( yeah I'm that old)

Yes that's a three on the tree.

If you are talking about the white knob down below the radio, that's a vent. Pull the knob and it opens the vent and lets outside air in. Since one would not want outside air blowing on your legs in the middle of winter, the vent does not stay open all the time.

And while the sun visor appears damaged, I don't see a crack or a tear in the headliner. I see the brace holding the headliner in place, just aft of the sun visor. It's shiny. Is that what you're considering a tear? Just above her head, where the headliner comes to the edge of the roof you can see another brace. But I still don't see a tear.

37 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

One might hope...

Only if you're lucky. Guessing the date and time frame of that photo, they probably hang a bit lower by now. Just a guess.

20 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Yes that's a three on the tree.

If you are talking about the white knob down below the radio, that's a vent. Pull the knob and it opens the vent and lets outside air in. Since one would not want outside air blowing on your legs in the middle of winter, the vent does not stay open all the time.

And while the sun visor appears damaged, I don't see a crack or a tear in the headliner. I see the brace holding the headliner in place, just aft of the sun visor. It's shiny. Is that what you're considering a tear? Just above her head, where the headliner comes to the edge of the roof you can see another brace. But I still don't see a tear.

image.thumb.png.ce560d302ec68c97154c89f2b9b91216.png

22 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

image.thumb.png.ce560d302ec68c97154c89f2b9b91216.png

I think that is a metal brace/retaining strip that has come loose.

The knob isn't in the right place for the choke, so I'll go with what others are saying about it being a vent control.

Yes, 3 Speed

The car IS NOT early 60's. It is more than likely early 50's. I had a 50 Chevy that looked almost like the interior on this car. I bought a new 62 Ford that had elect windows, A/C, floor shift automatic and bucket seats. 

If she came with it, and it was for sale when this picture was taken, I would have borrowed, stolen, mortgaged, every thing I could have gotten my dirty hands on to get that car!!!!!

25 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

The car IS NOT early 60's. It is more than likely early 50's. I had a 50 Chevy that looked almost like the interior on this car. I bought a new 62 Ford that had elect windows, A/C, floor shift automatic and bucket seats. 

Didn't Slim say that it was "likely an older car?"  Then suggest that the photo was from the early '60s.

1 hour ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

If she came with it, and it was for sale when this picture was taken, I would have borrowed, stolen, mortgaged, every thing I could have gotten my dirty hands on to get that car!!!!!

It's the leg room that won you over, isn't it?

20 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

I'd say the bench seat has something to do with it also.:ph34r:

I had a 4 door Plymouth as a teenager, and there was 250 + miles of dirt roads in my county.......I'll leave it at that.

I had a 1956 Ford Fairlane Victoria a couple of years ago.  I had a Thunderbird Y-8 292 engine and an automatic tranny.  The owner's manual said that auto trannies came with auto chokes and manual trannies came with manual chokes.

I'm thinking Ford, because the ignition switch is on the left side of the steering wheel. I've never seen a switch on the left side on a GM product. A roll bar for racing makes sense, because there are seat belts. Seat belts did not exist when that thing was made.

Seat belts did exist in the 1950's. Evidently, they were an option. I remember my Great Grandmother's 1954 or 55 Ford having seatbelts in the front seat. I don't remember anyone using them though.

Lots of leg room for those long legs but she still needs to find the seat adjustment to reach the pedals.

With all that head room she could get a much bigger doo.

Things just aren't made like that anymore .... unmentionables.

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Seat belts did exist in the 1950's. Evidently, they were an option. I remember my Great Grandmother's 1954 or 55 Ford having seatbelts in the front seat. I don't remember anyone using them though.

First time I ever even heard of seat belts was in 1967  when Daddy had them installed in our 1962 Studebaker Lark. And then he got it up to 60 MPH and slammed on the brakes to see if they worked.

They must have. I don't recall any of the five of us going through the windshield. :P

After I married my wife (1970) I had to chauffeur my mother in law to a hairdresser appointment.  I asked her to buckle up before pulling out of the driveway. She said, "Are you going to have a wreck?"

sigh...

Reminds me of the '54 Plymouth Belvedere I had while in college, about 1972.  Gave a fella I worked with $20 for that car - it had a flat-head six, two-speed automatic (RNDL; no P) and a radio with a "Wunderbar."  Front and back seats were like sofas; it was a marvelous drive-in movie vehicle.  Also good for hauling a half-dozen college football players to the local smorgy - they hated to see us coming!

I drove it for a year and half, although it did have an annoying habit of occasionally, without warning, dropping the butterfly valve outta the carb into the intake manifold, necessitating creative stopping maneauvers.  Once stopped, we'd fish it out, slide the shaft back through and secure with a fresh piece o' baling wire kept under the hood for that very purpose, and back on the road she'd go!  ^_^

One afternoon after I'd upgraded to a 64 1/2 Mustang, I was clearing stuff outta the Plymouth's trunk as it was parked by the Golden Gate Park panhandle.  Along comes some hippie, and he decides to stop and admire the two-tone beast.

"Man, that car is SO cool!  I just LOVE the vibes and colors!" and so on.  I politely let him banter on for a bit, then pulled the pink slip outta the glove box, a pen outta my pocket, signed it, and with a flourish handed it and the key to the astonished hippie and said "Carry on, man!  She's yours!"  then turned and walked away. 

Not mine, but looked just like this:

image.thumb.png.f9f3355219a66f1bb0df86623ef169cf.png

Shore wish I had that car today!  :blush:

Archived