SASS Wire Forum

Octagon barrels Ruger 357

Tarheel Doc

Mine are 5 & 1/4' and  I really like them,  less recoil and less movement under hammering. Well u probably want to know how I came up with that length. Before I decided on what length I was going to get, I talked to Oklahoma Dee he has 2 sets 1 at 5" the other set 5 & 1/2. He said that like the 5" better. So I split the difference and got 5 & 1/4".

True story 

Hells Comin 

• Like 1

Just my opinion:

The length of any barrel (round or octagon) will feel different to you depending on whether

you are a Trad shooter, Duelist or GF.

My particular set is approx 3" octagons, measuring from forcing cone to muzzle.

They are short.   And I love em.   They work great for me as a GF.

BUT, I've seen other GFer's run mighty fast and accurate with 5" barrels and longer.

You would do well to handle as many as possible to help you know what is going to

feel 'right for you'.

Good luck.

..........Widder

12 hours ago, Hells Comin said:

Mine are 5 & 1/4' and  I really like them,  less recoil and less movement under hammering. Well u probably want to know how I came up with that length. Before I decided on what length I was going to get, I talked to Oklahoma Dee he has 2 sets 1 at 5" the other set 5 & 1/2. He said that like the 5" better. So I split the difference and got 5 & 1/4".

True story 

Hells Comin 

How do you get them long barrels out of yer holsters?

kR

:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had Snake Oil George put 5” Octagonal bbls.. On my Ruger .44 Vaqueros . Really love the balance and the looks. My 2 sets of new Vaquero .357s are headed there real soon for the same treatment!

3 minutes ago, Hells Comin said:

Same way Matt Black does with 7 & 1/2"

I hear Matt Black doesn’t have to use both hands to do so tho’

• Haha 2

PLUS ONE for Widder!!

My most recent pair of brandy dam'd new .45s have three and half inch barrels.  Yum Yum Yum.  Quick out of the holster even if I am too dam'd old to be "quick."

14 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Just my opinion:

The length of any barrel (round or octagon) will feel different to you depending on whether

BUT, I've seen other GFer's run mighty fast and accurate with 5" barrels and longer.

You would do well to handle as many as possible to help you know what is going to

feel 'right for you'.

Good luck.

..........Widder

Could you post a couple pictures of'em? 

On 12/27/2023 at 9:11 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Just my opinion:

feel 'right for you'.

Good luck.

..........Widder

You gotta be careful about what Widder posts, sometimes he don't tell the 'whole' story.  What he forgot to mention in his post is how he's so fast with them octagon Sheriff models.....his grips are coated with a mixture of ground up chicken feet....gives him a more firm grip so they don't slip out of his hands. Now you know......the rest of the story. :lol:

Kajun

• Haha 5

23 minutes ago, Krazy Kajun said:

You gotta be careful about what Widder posts, sometimes he don't tell the 'whole' story.  What he forgot to mention in his post is how he's so fast with them octagon Sheriff models.....his grips are coated with a mixture of ground up chicken feet....gives him a more firm grip so they don't slip out of his hands. Now you know......the rest of the story. :lol:

Kajun

That Ole CoonAss knows every secret I got......... :lol:

Yep, Chicken Feet help add some speed.   Thats why TN Williams is a World Champ Duelist.    Of course, his carrying a 'pecker bone'

in his pocket helps him a lot.

..........Widder

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...

When I get through both eye surgeries and prostate surgery, I will be doing some. I don't want a lot of business, so I'll be very selective on how many I will do.

• Thanks 1

Last year I picked up a Single Six in 32. H&R Magnum with the large grip frame and a Jimmy Spurs action job in the Classifieds through a swap. 

I subsequently purchased a Single Six with the shorter grip frame on Gunbroker.  I purchased a OMV grip frame and swapped them out this week. 

In two weeks both guns go to Snakeoil George for 5" octagon barrels and brass sights, then off to Jimmy to take out the transfer bar of the one he previously worked on and slick the other one up. 

It will be a while, but I'll post pics.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yank_MaChain said:

3 1/2 just like Widders!!

tom321.jpg

I love those grips! What are they?

57 minutes ago, Totes Magoats said:

Eddie Viola at Smokewagon Engraving.

Totes

He does great work.

Wife has some Blackhawks done by him. They look great. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hells Comin said:

Hope to see you guys soon. 

Hells Comin 

Dylan is one strong young man, I couldn't hold his pistols on target!

Yes. BUT. 

He only has to hold them up for what? 1 second each. lol

• Haha 2