SASS Wire Forum

Info that LEO's have

Rye Miles #13621

My son was awakened last night at 11:00 by cops banging on his door. When finally got to the door and saw it was cops he opened it. They asked him in a polite manner if he owned a Jeep Renegade, he said yes. They asked if they could see it because there was one reported in a hit and run that night. He opened his garage and they looked and said "Ok no problem, not the exact model we were looking for, sorry to wake you". He said they were very nice BTW.

My question is do they have access to vehicle registration in the town he lives in which has around 25K population? The vehicle involved in the hit and run could have been from anywhere in a dozen different communities around him including the city of Cleveland which has around 350,000 people!

9 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

My son was awakened last night at 11:00 by cops banging on his door. When finally got to the door and saw it was cops he opened it. They asked him in a polite manner if he owned a Jeep Renegade, he said yes. They asked if they could see it because there was one reported in a hit and run that night. He opened his garage and they looked and said "Ok no problem, not the exact model we were looking for, sorry to wake you". He said they were very nice BTW.

My question is do they have access to vehicle registration in the town he lives in which has around 25K population? The vehicle involved in the hit and run could have been from anywhere in a dozen different communities around him including the city of Cleveland which has around 350,000 people!

Unless the Department of Motor Vehicles is setup in an odd way, I would presume law enforcement would have access to the DMV database of currently registered vehicles.

I know some states (at least VA, almost certainly more) also link license plate(s) of cars registered to those that have a carry permit.  If said person gets pulled over, the officer know that driver has a carry permit

3 minutes ago, Chantry said:

Unless the Department of Motor Vehicles is setup in an odd way, I would presume law enforcement would have access to the DMV database of currently registered vehicles.

That makes sense but that's the data base for the whole state! There's 11 million people in Ohio.

I guess they narrowed it down first to the town that the H&R was in and went from there.

8 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

That makes sense but that's the data base for the whole state! There's 11 million people in Ohio.

I guess they narrowed it down first to the town that the H&R was in and went from there.

Access DMV records,  sort by Renegade, color, year (if known) and the return will give a list that is almost certainly sortable by distance.  Factor in the last known direction the vehicle was headed and the time of the accident, that list is going to get a lot shorter.

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I worked with DMV and DPS for 5 years in Texas managing the Safety Inspection Station equipment and software for vehicle inspections. The database is state wide. They can look up any vehicle by a number of different options. The license plate is the best but they can do it by manufacture, model, etc. The more info they have to reduce the list makes it easier to sift through all the data. And yes, Texas has a heck of a lot of vehicles registered in this state. I managed over 6500 vehicle inspection stations that did all the state inspections for over 5 years.

TM

18 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Hey Rye!!

Short Simple answer:  YES!!

So that brings me to the next Part of that , They have access to it but preferred to be lazy and demand to see a Vehicle in a garage without a warrant . They better be real damn polite . Because at that time at night with zero reason ,I would have asked to see the warrant opps none = go pound sand 

12 minutes ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

So that brings me to the next Part of that , They have access to it but preferred to be lazy and demand to see a Vehicle in a garage without a warrant . They better be real damn polite . Because at that time at night with zero reason ,I would have asked to see the warrant opps none = go pound sand 

My son was pretty cool about it, I guess he doesn’t take after me in that regard. I would have been really po’d!! 

On 9/8/2023 at 8:28 AM, PowderRiverCowboy said:

On 9/8/2023 at 8:41 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

My son was pretty cool about it, I guess he doesn’t take after me in that regard. I would have been really po’d!! 

I have to say that if that happened to me, (not much chance since I don't even HAVE a garage, you can call home and ask my wife"), I would happily do as they ask. LEOs have a tough job, and if they are asking for my help in doing it, I'll do what I can. 

Where I live, there is an 8 ft block wall separating my property from a wash. For those who don't know, a wash is basically a large ditch to control flood waters during a flash flood. Rain water flows down the street, into the wash, which carries it to the river. This wall was built by the city, and has a large gate just off my property so that they can access it to clean it up, clean the graffiti off the wall, etc.

A few months back, a homeless camp set up on the other side of the wall. Unfortunately, the City won't run these people off, so all I could do was watch their comings and goings, which was easy because they went through said gate. 

One night, about 1:30 A.M., I heard my door being pounded upon. As I moved through the living room, I could see through the blinds that the whole world outside was flashing red and blue. Turned out that some miscreant had shot and killed the head drug dealer in the homeless camp, and the Police wanted to see if my security cameras had seen anything. We looked at the footage, but didn't see anything conclusive at the time. 

Bottom line is that if I can help the Police in any way to get and keep Bad Guys off my streets, I will. 

1 hour ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

The DMV data base would have had the make, modle, year and color for searches. So their pretext for "seeing" the Jeep was BS. No warrant no entry, period.

They were ''seeing'' if there was fresh damage and or bloody bits not what color it was

2 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I have to say that if that happened to me, (not much chance since I don't even HAVE a garage, you can call home and ask my wife", I would happily do as they ask. LEOs have a tough job, and if they are asking for my help in doing it, I'll do what I can. 

Where I live, there is an 8 ft block wall separating my property from a wash. For those who don't know, a wash is basically a large ditch to control flood waters during a flash flood. Rain water flows down the street, into the wash, which carries it to the river. This wall was built by the city, and has a large gate just off my property so that they can access it to clean it up, clean the graffiti off the wall, etc.

A few months back, a homeless camp set up on the other side of the wall. Unfortunately, the City won't run these people off, so all I could do was watch their comings and goings, which was easy because they went through said gate. 

One night, about 1:30 A.M., I heard my door being pounded upon. As I moved through the living room, I could see through the blinds that the whole world outside was flashing red and blue. Turned out that some miscreant had shot and killed the head drug dealer in the homeless camp, and the Police wanted to see if my security cameras had seen anything. We looked at the footage, but didn't see anything conclusive at the time. 

Bottom line is that if I can help the Police in any way to get and keep Bad Guys off my streets, I will. 

I would have cooperated 100% but inside I would have been pretty upset!

5 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The thing that upset me the most was that it took somebody getting killed to get the City's attention to this bunch. I'd reported them to the City, but because there are SO many homeless camps and so few resources allocated to dealing with them, that it takes WEEKS to get somebody from the City out to do anything about it.

I don't blame the Police for this, it's City "policy". Even the Police that were there agreed that they should be permitted to do something about homeless camps so that it doesn't come to this.

8 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I’m talking about banging on your door at11:00 pm looking for a car that was involved in a hit and run. No one was killed. 

Vehicle registrations are a matter of public record, so there is no "reasonable expectation of privacy" (US Supreme Court).  Anyone can look up anyone's registration info, but usually there is a fee.  Cops have access to the database and simply bypass the fee system.

But I'll tell you, it took some pretty darn good computer sleuthing to narrow it down like that.  

Some of you guys just crack me up.  You're all "Big Bad John" until you find yourself in deep doo doo needing all the police help you can get.  Fighter pilots are the same way.  Big, Bad and Bold until in the bushes in bad guy territory.  Their voices go op about three octaves pleading for SAR Choppers to "Hurry Up."

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Some of you guys just crack me up.  You're all "Big Bad John" until you find yourself in deep doo doo needing all the police help you can get.  Fighter pilots are the same way.  Big, Bad and Bold until in the bushes in bad guy territory.  Their voices go op about three octaves pleading for SAR Choppers to "Hurry Up."

Well considering I have more combat missions In probably one of eight tours  the our entire force and made their SWAT trainer look stupid in  his CQC  training when I took out his prize team in a competitive session .
  I think I’m am good against a force that in a fire fight with armed suspect , fired a full 2 mags from his Glock at 25-30 yards with 2 hits one grazed arm and one in leg . As long as you stand still you are safe :)   
  Besides my body armor is better than theirs a few from next county over now ask me when I am going shooting to get some training. 
   Halfway thought about doing my own training classes ( which isn’t that what military from some units do other that a coffee or T-shirt company ) 

I wouldn't be thrilled about being woken at that time of the morning.  I might have an attitude and tell them coffee is at 8.  You can either wait till then or get a warrant which will take you till noon?  How do you like your coffee?  It is funny how I look at helping the police, I'm all for it so long as it doesn't feel like they are bullying and kind of violating a right...search and seizure?  When it comes to gun questions I'd be much more inclined to say 'no thanks'.

I guess by raising the door you saved the tax payer and hour plus of police time.  I hope it was a major hit and run.  Somebody probably hit the mayors mailbox.

I had a pair of state cops wake me up at 6AM once.  I was renting a farmhouse and they had a neighbor complain about cows in her yard eating her grass etc.  They beeped their horn, woke me up and I looked out the window.  Saw they were state cops so I went down and talked to them.  They wanted to know if they were my cows.  I told them they belonged to the manager but he wasn't around.  They asked me what to do.  I said round them up.  The one was sleeping and the one I was talking to said 'but they are big'.  I think they were both city boys.  Easy enough to move a cow but finding the opening in the fence and getting them thru it...eh just shoot em.

7 hours ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

Better yet, don’t answer the door.

The License plate. Remark brought. Back a problem i had a couple of years ago.

I kept getting. Bills for tolls that were not paid. 

The plate number was correct. State wrong. 

Texas kept sending letters, had a heck of a time telling the person to look at the State on the plate.

They couldn't comparand that i have an Illinois plate not a Texas plate.

Took a couple of months. Got it straightened out.

19 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Fighter pilots are the same way.  Big, Bad and Bold until in the bushes in bad guy territory.  Their voices go op about three octaves pleading for SAR Choppers to "Hurry Up."

Let's see, they are trained to fly a plane and do what they do. They parachute out and land somewhere, by themselves, with a 9mm and how many mags? Not trained to do hide and seek pistol and target acquisition. So yeah my voice would go up a few octaves also. 

Let's strap you in a seat, pull some serious "G's" and wait for the missile to hit. I just bet your heart rate would go up a notch.

Seems to me the guys on the ground and flying the whoop dee whoops depend on those fighter pilots at times?

I was shocked to find out they don’t just read plates. They can read stickers too. 
a plate reader can identify every car that passes through with say a Trump for President sticker in the back window or bumper. 

Gee Ike.  Actually, I was the guy standing alone in the door of the SAR Whoop De Whoop Trying to keep the Gomers off the Jet Driver and our PJ while playing "target" for the Gomers.   AND  they ARE trained to hide and seek with pistol and target acquisition.  Your ignorance begets a rather poor analogy.

18 minutes ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

The city my son lives has these cameras but they obviously don’t always get a good picture or they wouldn’t have come to his door at 11:00pm

Read OP

12 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Just wait until the public finds out everything plate readers can do. 

In 2017, I got pulled over by a Pinellas Co. Sheriff whose SUV had plate readers all over it. I was driving a work truck (F250) that was wrapped with company logo's/name in large letter and had a male co-worker on the passenger side. I wasn't violating any traffic laws.

At first, he wouldn't tell me why I was pulled over, I had to show my DL and truck registration BEFORE he would tell me why. He pulled us over under the guise that the owner's wife, whom the business/vehicles were registered under, had not paid a parking citation and had HER DL suspended. My co-worker and I were OBVIOUSLY male and therefore NOT the owner's wife.

He detained us for about 15 minutes for some unknown reason. We were getting paid by the hour so there was no loss of pay but it felt like a BS fishing expedition and the cop was a smart ass on a power trip

From the time that I passed the stationary Sheriff's vehicle until he roared up behind me and lit up his lights could not have been more than 10 seconds. That's how fast they work.

A plate can be entered and a report can be generated of every plate reader you passed in a set time period. So if you take the same route every day your location can be predicted.

If a plate had been flagged. Say felony and they got the plate that can be entered and a notification will be sent every time the plate is read. 
These plate readers are owned by PRIVATE companies that sell subscriptions to police departments. The information is privately owned and there’s to do with as they please. 

4 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

I think there is a clear appearing plastic cover which allows a human to read the plate but blocks the plate readers.  They are probably illegal in some states.

Illegal in Florida and a sure-fire way to get pulled over.

I was thinking more about this.  You leave a cop in the house everything he sees is fair game.  Now Cops typically aren't anti 2nd amendment but some may be.  Now ATF Agents?  I suspect some must be anti 2nd and that is why they accepted that suspect profession.

The question is; if your son would have made the cops get a search warrant the warrant would limit the search?  Say to viewing the car for possible damage.  Is everything else 'out of scope'?

Archived