SASS Wire Forum

Saloon posts?

5 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Yawn.

It's been years since the last time somebody came into the Saloon and  complained that the Saloon is too off topic.

The last goober that I remember that we offended referred to 'drivel'.

The 'Drivel' threads were thousand of posts long before BH would lock it to save bandwidth- and the new one was started.

That went on for several years before it just faded away.

When the format changed several years ago and a limit was placed on the length of threads, several long running threads, such as GOFWG and “Drivel”, that required more continuity than our simple word/phrase association thread saw their demise!! 

Da Grumps were left without the necessary tools to initiate new members because one of the requirements to join was to read the entire thread from end to end.  It was a thread, SERIOUS about having and making fun of ourselves and the world around us, and had been a long tradition with many esteemed members who participated, including moderators and the likes of world champions and members of the original Wild Bunch.

It was also a thread dedicated to the support of its members!!

We lost a lot of other great stories, a lot of valuable information, and even some history was lost forever because of the automatic and arbitrary erasure of those threads!!  :(

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

When the format changed several years ago and a limit was placed on the length of threads, several long running threads, such as GOFWG and “Drivel”, that required more continuity than our simple word/phrase association thread saw their demise!! 

Da Grumps were left without the necessary tools to initiate new members because one of the requirements was to read the entire thread from end to end.  It was a thread, SERIOUS about having and making fun of ourselves and the world around us, and had been a long tradition with many esteemed members who participated, including moderators and the likes of world champions and members of the original Wild Bunch.

It was also a thread dedicated to the support of its members!!

I was all for it and posted on the original Drivel thread.

I quit even looking at the Wire 10 years or more ago because it had become way too uptight and I doubt it has done anything but get worse.

7 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

But it’s not the place to just post link after link that has nothing to do with much of anything and that serves only to boost the poster’s ego 

I will admit to being somewhat confused by this one. I can think of a few that post numerous posts, but generally they don’t seem the types to need their egos boosted.

6 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I’m gonna pop some corn, chill the sasparilla, and watch this thread play out. Been a while since I seen this many wadded knickers in one place.  

Pray tell, how often have you seen many wadded up knickers in one place, and under what circumstances?

5 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

I seldom go to the WIRE. My friends are HERE. 

Ditto!

21 hours ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

Should there be a time limit when posts should expire?  I mean, there are posts from anywhere from 35 pages to 1130 pages!!!!

Come on folks, if you haven't read it and replied to it since it was posted in maybe 2018, isn't it time for it to be deleted instead of it taking up space on page 1. 

And what about "posters" who put out maybe almost 1/2 the amount of new posts on page 1 on almost any given day about nothing about our sport, which is why SASS members look at our website.  

I know a lot of SASS members who don't read the Wire Saloon because it's no one but a few posters posting nothing about our sport.  If they want to know about history other than the old west they will go to the appropriate websites.   

I thought the SASS forums were supposed to be about Cowboy Action Shooting.  

LOL  you were three years late mate 

41zbpj.jpg.7f2f43033fc38c1fcfafec94f916d168.jpg

5 hours ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

FOOD FIGHT!!!

I’ve been here long enough to remember the drivel thread. It was awesome! And if my Swiss cheese memory is correct, you and Dusty Balls were in the thick of it.

Dang, I miss Dusty. And Badger. And…

I want to thank the initiator of this thread.  They gave me a great idea to add to my profile.  Please see below.  Who wants to take applications for any remaining spots?

4 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

It would be helpful if thread titles were descriptive of or at least mildly related to the thread topic.  That way readers can make an informed decision if they want to open the thread or not.

I kind of agree with this - and I'm guilty of not doing it myself.

I'll see a thread that looks interesting, open it and immediately realize that I have no interest in it at all. But apparently everybody else likes it, because they keep responding to it, so it keeps getting kicked up to the top, and when I see it the next day I think that the title looks interesting so I open it up again.

Oh well. Such is life.

Remember the stories that everyone could pitch in on ? I believe Calico Mary started one. I contributed to that one myself.

BTW I just saw Calico Mary in July at a 3 day shoot. She just came to visit and say hi to everyone! 

10 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Such is life.

Alpo is quoting Ned Kelly now :) See some threads like that awesome Aussie thread that Aussie boofhead wannabee gunslinger fella' posts on to boost up his daily ego and endorphins are really in fact teaching aids.

The New Zealand sheep shaggers have the Haka, which is yeah I gotta admit its sorta' pretty cool and really put the wind up the Turks at Gallipoli in 1915, but Aussies....well we have this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Remember the stories that everyone could pitch in on ? I believe Calico Mary started one. I contributed to that one myself.

BTW I just saw Calico Mary in July at a 3 day shoot. She just came to visit and say hi to everyone! 

"Trouble Comes to Stone Creek?" I thoroughly enjoyed that one. A lot of collaboration on it. You, me, Calico Mary, Linn Keller, CaIamity Kris,  J. Mark Flint, Lorelei Longshot and others worked on it. I can't recall everyone, because there were also characters from the Saloon included who didn't actually take an active roll in writing. I started one after that wasn't nearly as good.

5 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

If it weren't for the SALOON,  I would have no way to warn everyone about TN Williams.

They won't let me talk about him on the Wire.

..........Widder

And I couldn't say stuff like

When Widder was born the Dr came out to the waiting room to see his Pop and said, "I'm sorry sir, we did everything we could but he pulled through".

:o

1 hour ago, DocWard said:

"Trouble Comes to Stone Creek?" I thoroughly enjoyed that one. A lot of collaboration on it. You, me, Calico Mary, Linn Keller, CaIamity Kris,  J. Mark Flint, Lorelei Longshot and others worked on it. I can't recall everyone, because there were also characters from the Saloon included who didn't actually take an active roll in writing. I started one after that wasn't nearly as good.

That’s it!! I remember you were a huge part of that story! I enjoyed that immensely! 
I vaguely remember the story after that you started! What was the title of that one?

I enjoyed those stories!!  When they went to the limited post format, we couldn’t do ‘em anymore!!  Maybe somebody’ll kick one off here!

I’m enjoying the heck out of Mr. Keller’s short stories!!  For a while, ya’ couldn’t have that!!

@Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728  Where’d you go? One thing we frown on here in the Saloon is folks waltzing in here, tossing a hornets nest on the floor then leaving. 
Come on back in and have a drink and sit a while. You’ll find that our bark is worse than our bite.

Bottles, his money’s no good here. His drinks are on me. Put ‘em on my tab…yeah, that one. Yeah, it says “Widder” on it but pay no mind to that. He’ll pay, just don’t show him the tab. 

Y’all clear a space and make some sitting’ room for Jake when comes back. 

17 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I know quite a few shooters that hardly ever come here to the saloon maybe you should just take their cue and ignore this saloon. You might be happier! 

ALWAYS CAPITALIZE SALOON!

Shame on you, Bottles were using Rye’s tab until Tuesday; I’ll have a Bulleit Rye, the whole bottle.

7 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

ALWAYS CAPITALIZE SALOON!

Shame on you, Bottles were using Rye’s tab until Tuesday; I’ll have a Bulleit Rye, the whole bottle.

Oh yea? Show me the rules! :P 
Bottles don’t you dare give Tyrel anything on my tab in this here SALOON

:P

14 hours ago, DocWard said:

Pray tell, how often have you seen many wadded up knickers in one place, and under what circumstances?

Youth sporting events and neighborhood board meetings.

What is it about those two events that make otherwise mature adults act like constipated entitled spoiled toddlers?

11 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

That’s it!! I remember you were a huge part of that story! I enjoyed that immensely! 
I vaguely remember the story after that you started! What was the title of that one?

A Bad Spring in East Fork. Linn Keller and I played prominent roles in both, probably because he has a gift for writing, and I simply had the time on my hands at that point.

12 hours ago, DocWard said:

7 minutes ago, DocWard said:

A Bad Spring in East Fork

I also remember the Christmas Tree stories.  Those were hysterical.  I was thinking of kicking one of those off this year, if I have the time.  Any interested parties, please let me know.

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Oh yea? Show me the rules! :P 
Bottles don’t you dare give Tyrel anything on my tab in this here SALOON

:P

You’ve been around this here Saloon long enough to know!

ACS -> Always Capitalize Saloon

Bottles, keep ‘em comin, put everything on Rye’s tab.

14 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

I also remember the Christmas Tree stories.  Those were hysterical.  I was thinking of kicking one of those off this year, if I have the time.  Any interested parties, please let me know.

Those I don't recall. I'm always interested, if I'm allowed!

13 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

You most likely won’t. Some of us have asked, nearly begged.

I used to like her posts. Haven't seen any since she moved.

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

You’ve been around this here Saloon long enough to know!

ACS -> Always Capitalize Saloon

Bottles, keep ‘em comin, put everything on Rye’s tab.

:PBottles you keep all drinks off my tab, especially for this Tyrel dude!

saloon, saloon,saloon, saloon!!!:P

Dear Pat Riot,

Why would I come back since my original post has been "hijacked" and turned into a completely different topic?

Funny how this happens too many times on the Saloon.

If folks want to talk about something different than the original topic, then start a new topic on a new post.

TN Williams nor I have ever hi-jacked a thread.   Never, ever.

Now, on the other hand, Rye and PatRiot do it all the time..... :D

I think we need to start keeping a tally on those 2 fellers and give them some penalties

for every hi-jack.

..........Widder

A nanner split with no fudge for them:lol: or whipped cream. At least Pat has a wildcat cartridge named after him.:)

1 hour ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

Dear Pat Riot,

Why would I come back since my original post has been "hijacked" and turned into a completely different topic?

Funny how this happens too many times on the Saloon.

If folks want to talk about something different than the original topic, then start a new topic on a new post.

Well then, I think if you spend some time here you’ll figure things out. 
I started hanging out in here back in 98 through 2006, then left SASS and I returned in 2016 until now. I also hung out on the Wire until probably 2020. You can only see the same subjects discussed, described, argued about, beat to death, asked about, etc… for only so long then it gets old. 
The Saloon always has been and always will be a fun place to hang out. There aren’t any real rules of decorum except the overall Wire rules. 
What you have witnessed in this thread is what I like to call a “Saloon Ricochet”. The thread is sailing along and then “ZING” it’s off and running in a new direction. It’s easy to bring it back, just pop in once in awhile and post in it, but don’t be surprised if it has taken on new life. Sometimes it’s fun. Sometimes it’s like it was assimilated by the Borg. 
So, come and hang out, or don’t. If you decide not to the loss is yours, I’m sure. You won’t meet or interact with great people like we have in the Saloon anywhere else. I haven’t met most of the people here, but I count them all as friends. Life wouldn’t be the same without them. 

Archived