SASS Wire Forum

Giving Delusional Morons a Bad Name

Subdeacon Joe

What is sad is that this is actually a trend.  Modern employees want to work from home and if they do go into work they want to arrive and leave when they want and dress any way they want.

32 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

What is sad is that this is actually a trend.  Modern employees want to work from home and if they do go into work they want to arrive and leave when they want and dress any way they want.

Interviewed at a major company some years back, I had skills to offer but wanted to know more about how work-from-home and work-life balance functioned in the organization.

The response had something to do with it more being work-life integration... I was out.

2 minutes ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

I thought this thread was about me :P

Well, I clicked on it too...

48 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

And that is a bad thing?

2 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

Interviewed at a major company some years back, I had skills to offer but wanted to know more about how work-from-home and work-life balance functioned in the organization.

The response had something to do with it more being work-life integration... I was out.

Well, I clicked on it too...

Sometimes that means they expect you be on call and available 24/7.  What did it mean in this instance?

9 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Sometimes that means they expect you be on call and available 24/7.  What did it mean in this instance?

Pretty much that. Stuff gets scheduled and the employees have to work their lives around it.

Businesses are saving a lot of money on rental space for offices. People working from home are saving money on gas and parking and lunches etc. It's not entirely a bad thing but demanding it is ridiculous!

My neighbor works for the NFAS downtown which is a 20 minute ride but she works from home now at least 3 days a week. She loves it and gets as much done if not more from home since her husband is gone off to work and her kids are grown.

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Businesses are saving a lot of money on rental space for offices. People working from home are saving money on gas and parking and lunches etc. It's not entirely a bad thing but demanding it is ridiculous!

My neighbor works for the NFAS downtown which is a 20 minute ride but she works from home now at least 3 days a week. She loves it and gets as much done if not more from home since her husband is gone off to work and her kids are grown.

Fall out from Covid when most office based companies sent everyone to work from home full time.  In general employees found that they were just as productive, if not more, so than in the office.  They saved money on gas, clothes, food because they weren't commuting to an office.  Connecticut saw a blip where people were moving to CT from NYC because they were working from home and CT was cheaper than NYC for just about everything.

Given the apparent low unemployment right now workers hold more negotiating power than normal and some of that is reflected in being able to work from home.

I went to full time work from home back in 2008 when they closed my office building and later demolished it.  The land is a Fed Ex hub now.

There are 19 people, including my boss, in my team at work.  We are in eight different states and I'm the only one in CT.  My boss is in AZ and I've never met him face to face and didn't even learn what he looked like until this year during an online unit meeting where he had to present.

I think there is a lot of pressure, at multiple levels, to get people back into the office.  How much money is currently spent on leasing space or paying the expenses on a large office building?  How many smaller businesses and restaurants depend on people coming into the office?  What happens to that town or city when those sources of revenue stop?  Why should people be forced back into an office when they have shown that they are capable of doing their job well working from home full time?

8 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:
14 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Look at that young persons eyes and tell me it isn't on something.

I thought it had been crying.  "Oh! Poor me!  Nobody will allow me to operate on MY "whenever I get there" timeline!"

Saw a comic somewhere this morning - Young person interviewing for a job asked if they could work from home. Boss said sure, just so long as you move in here and pay me rent.

As far as the bimbo in the video, I'm with 4T, she's on something...look at the dilated pupils and red eyes. Probably pot. 

"Struggle to be on time."  Hmmm..."Oh, I'm sorry, I know that this project was supposed to be done two days ago, and that our customer had to shut down production because I didn't finish it, but that shouldn't matter."  

I get that in many cases it won't matter.  A couple of places I worked, as long as you got in reasonably close to "starting time" and you put in your hours there was flexibility in just exactly what hours you worked.  But things needed to be completed on time.   Other places, everyone needed to be there on time because of the nature of the work.  One person out or late could really drop, or stop, production.  

I was thankful for work-from-home when I had prostate cancer.
I didn't wear anything except a bathrobe for 3 months while tolerating a Foley catheter before surgery.
Dragging around a gas can attached to a garden hose is not the picture to paint in the office work environment.

I'm an early riser, so being online and ready to rock at 8am Eastern time (I'm in Pacific) was not a problem at all.
All the extra time wasted in commuting was spent on the job, and extra hours beyond quitting time.

I could take a lunch break when time permitted, and chase the wife around the house as well.
Life was good, WFH.

HP got a ton of work out of me, and it suited my conditions perfectly.

18 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Time blindness IS indeed a stupid term.

But just as stupid is the outdated concept that TIME or PRESENCE is just as (or more) important as production.

I am a reasonably intelligent person - I was offered membership in Mensa - I (at the time - probably have been surpassed by now) achieved the highest scores on the high school PSAT and SAT tests in Michigan state history.

I never scored less than 90% on any quiz or written test in mt High School or College career.

And with all that - I was rarely better than a "C" average student.

Because while I knew the material and could demonstrate I understood the material - I refused to participate in the TIME aspect.  If there was not a quiz or exam scheduled; I rarely attended classes - I refused to do homework.

As far as I was (and am) concerned - this was time theft.  IF others needed additional time and tasks to demonstrate their grasp on the topic; fine - but I did not.

I have always felt the same about jobs - I am paid to accomplish a certain criteria.

If someone else needs 40/ 50/ 60 hours to accomplish the task; then THEY need to put in that time - if I can do the same in 20 hours; then requiring me to give you another 20 hours "just because" is again time theft.

Now I fully understand if others are dependent upon your being there so they may do their jobs - that is different.

The store has to open at X o'clock.

The assembly line cannot move if Joe isn't there to bolt on the wheels.

But I have to be here at my desk from 7am until 4pm - because Fred can't get his work done at the same pace I can?

TIME requirements are a key indicator of weak managers or poor business models that lack the ability to analyze measurable metrics (outside of a time clock).

And other than client/ customer facing positions; business attire requirements beyond basic courtesy (bathe and wear clothes) are another indicator of weak managers looking for a metric they can measure and control.

Like my lack of a tie and wearing Reeboks instead of wingtips somehow disrupts the work atmosphere?  (and yes, even in client forward positions -  I did the dress sportcoat with Reeboks for years).

Fortunately I own my own businesses now and can go in or not when I choose.  And dress how I choose.

And I have empowered my employees/ partners (after a certain amount of time - I stake my key employees to a sliding scale percentage ownership) to determine the best way to achieve our goals without entangling their compensation or requirements to their attire or TIME chained at a desk.

10 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

:lol:

But time isn't important!

:lol:

Clocking in 3, 5 or 15 minutes late is not important.

Leaving at 2pm because your tasks are complete instead of staying until 5pm is not important.

A demonstrated ability to perform at a certain level over a given duration of employment IS.

The term "time" can have more than one meaning.

5 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Clocking in 3, 5 or 15 minutes late is not important.

Leaving at 2pm because your tasks are complete instead of staying until 5pm is not important.

A demonstrated ability to perform at a certain level over a given duration of employment IS.

The term "time" can have more than one meaning.

Depends on the job.

What if you're a 911 operator?   Is it ok to clock in 15 minutes late?    This really applies to the service industry.  You're there to provide a service from 8am-5pm say, being on time is critical.  Staying until 5pm is critical.  Staying a little late to finish a task you started at 4:55pm is critical.

There's a lot of "I can leave when the job is done" being posed here, but I'd reply that a lot of jobs are ad hoc.

Fourth paragraph in my original response.

If your presence is necessary for others - punctuality and complete shifts are required.

But for a number of jobs or industries - demanding time simply for the sake of time being served is unneeded and counter productive.

3 hours ago, bgavin said:

I was thankful for work-from-home when I had prostate cancer.
I didn't wear anything except a bathrobe for 3 months while tolerating a Foley catheter before surgery.
Dragging around a gas can attached to a garden hose is not the picture to paint in the office work environment.

I'm an early riser, so being online and ready to rock at 8am Eastern time (I'm in Pacific) was not a problem at all.
All the extra time wasted in commuting was spent on the job, and extra hours beyond quitting time.

I could take a lunch break when time permitted, and chase the wife around the house as well.
Life was good, WFH.

HP got a ton of work out of me, and it suited my conditions perfectly.

and what were you going to do with her once you caught her since you had prostate cancer? LOL

TM

14 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Didn't watch the video, but 17 or 18 years ago, a couple of years before I retired, we had a compulsory diversity class.  One of the things we were told was that in addition to cultures that were "on time" there were ethnic groups that were "cross time" and that we should understand and accept the difference. One of many precursors to the current mess.

Well, here we have seen every conceivable thought, both pro and con, on this subject and all of it gas some merits but it is all BS if the man with the checkbook says you have to be there at a certain time or you won't get paid.

If you don't like it, go find another job.  I understand there are a lot of openings in the fast food market.

Going with her initial statement, she's trying to get somewhere and do they make allowances for "time blindness"
Yeah, let's hold up a flight for two hours so you can wake up, get your frappa-lat-a-chi-mocha.  We'll hold up the entire system for just you. 
And then listen to you scream when you can't get to the concert you are going to see on time.  Because you threw everything off by hours.

I bet people like her hate it when they are kept waiting for someone or something.

47 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Well, here we have seen every conceivable thought, both pro and con, on this subject and all of it gas some merits but it is all BS if the man with the checkbook says you have to be there at a certain time or you won't get paid.

Probably the above is the most viable reason why I had to become my own boss.

Of course now, I work for the biggest prick that I have worked for.  <_<

5 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Probably the above is the most viable reason why I had to become my own boss.

Of course now, I work for the biggest prick that I have worked for.  <_<

Yeah, I worked for a man who never gave me any time off, didn't pay me enough, treated me poorly, never cared if I was tired or sick, slept with my wife, and never let up on me.

Being self employed is a bitch.

4 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Yeah, I worked for a man who never gave me any time off, didn't pay me enough, treated me poorly, never cared if I was tired or sick, slept with my wife, and never let up on me.

Being self employed is a bitch.

My Wife is a bad boss with her own little company.  I often call that to her attention, she being both boss and only employee.  Retired, the Social and Pension, both earned and paid for keep coming.

On 8/21/2023 at 6:51 PM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Heck, I don't consider myself a modern anything and I'd like that arrangement.  Actually, I don't want to work at all.  Never show up and do exactly what I want all day.  Retirement.  The perfect job for me.

If you are dealing with honest, honorable folks, working from home is a great deal for all concerned.  Did it for a number of years and I retired long before the fake plague. The only down side is impact on "Team Spirit" which was kinda bogus even then.

If good work ethics were still a thing I would say time wasn’t and issue but people with good work ethics are a dying breed and the snowflake population is breeding like mice and teaching there little snowflakes that they are all SPECIAL 

I still work part time tuning and repairing pianos, I tried to do it from home but it didn't work out too well! :lol:

I used to have a bumper sticker that said Piano Tuners Still Make House Calls!;)

21 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I refused to do homework.

Indeed.
In my sophomore year, I get an "F" in geometry, all "A"s on the exams. for the same reason.

Archived