SASS Wire Forum

The problem with carrying a gun all the time

Alpo

It's when you, very rarely, aren't carrying it.

I went to vote today. Can't carry in the polls, so I left it in the truck.

Came back out, got in the truck and drove to the grocery store. Got out and headed in the store. I was about halfway across the parking lot when I realized that I felt strange. Lopsided. So I patted myself down. No gun. Still in the truck.

Went to the High School tonight to see my grandson in a production of The Crucible , put on by his drama club.  Had to lock up my sidearm.  Felt really out of balance for a couple of hours.

i hear what you are saying , i was starting to consider exactly how i was going to deal with the voting come tuesday , i will vote - i wont carry there - but its just how far away i disarm and rearm , ill figure it out 

Concealed means just that concealed .

Nobody knows that it's there . 

I would rather be Judged by 12 .

Then carryed by 6 .

Just saying. 

Rooster 

I keep my gun, actually two, in my car. When I go in somewhere I put one in my waistband or pocket. I carry a J-Frame S&W 5 shot .38 and I also have a KelTec .380 LCP. I keep the J Frame in my console and the KelTec in the back of my SUV. I go into people houses and I'm uncomfortable carrying a gun in their homes as I have no idea of where they are politically. When I'm driving in a suspicious area, which I try and avoid, I put my S&W right on the seat next to me for easy fast access.  

With all the car break-ins, I'm not real comfortable leaving my EDC in the truck.

12 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I keep my gun, actually two, in my car. When I go in somewhere I put one in my waistband or pocket. I carry a J-Frame S&W 5 shot .38 and I also have a KelTec .380 LCP. I keep the J Frame in my console and the KelTec in the back of my SUV. I go into people houses and I'm uncomfortable carrying a gun in their homes as I have no idea of where they are politically. When I'm driving in a suspicious area, which I try and avoid, I put my S&W right on the seat next to me for easy fast access.  

In re: Gun on the seat, check out the 1986 Miami Shootout -  gun on the seat effectively disarmed one of the best FBI shooters present.

About 10 years ago I bought a little Stack-On handgun safe to leave in my truck for times I needed to leave a gun behind. It had a cable with a loop that wrapped the cable around a seat frame strut then passed the cable through the loop then opened the safe and secured the lugged end of the cable in the little safe.
Seemed like an okay system until I was at my favorite LGS, at the time. On their counter sat the same model of the little safe I bought, but the hole where the cable end was to be secured was all blown out. 
I don’t remember the exact details, but it seems someone decided to test how tough that system was and they gave a good yank on the box and on the second attempt the sides of the safe gave way and he was able to jerk the safe off it’s cable. The guy that did it was your average sized young man. Maybe 5’ 9” and 170 pounds. Not a big scrapper by any means. 
I stopped leaving my gun in my truck using that safe on a cable after that. I found an excellent hidey hole in the truck to use instead. I rarely used that hiding place but when I did I felt confident no one would find my gun. 

30 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

About 10 years ago I bought a little Stack-On handgun safe to leave in my truck for times I needed to leave a gun behind. It had a cable with a loop that wrapped the cable around a seat frame strut then passed the cable through the loop then opened the safe and secured the lugged end of the cable in the little safe.
Seemed like an okay system until I was at my favorite LGS, at the time. On their counter sat the same model of the little safe I bought, but the hole where the cable end was to be secured was all blown out. 
I don’t remember the exact details, but it seems someone decided to test how tough that system was and they gave a good yank on the box and on the second attempt the sides of the safe gave way and he was able to jerk the safe off it’s cable. The guy that did it was your average sized young man. Maybe 5’ 9” and 170 pounds. Not a big scrapper by any means. 
I stopped leaving my gun in my truck using that safe on a cable after that. I found an excellent hidey hole in the truck to use instead. I rarely used that hiding place but when I did I felt confident no one would find my gun. 

Actually, a good long shank padlock, cable lock or quality handcuffs will let you secure pistol or revolver fairly well.  Not much is thief proof, and that includes hiding places.

19 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

A buddy would leave a short piece of rope in his car safe.  When he put the pistol in the safe, he tied the rope on the steering wheel.  This way he always remembered so his wife couldn't get in trouble (no permit).

This is one of those times when I smack myself in the forehead and exclaim loudly "Why didn't I think of that!"

3 hours ago, watab kid said:

huh , does that work ? and just which 45 do i take a photo of to be the best deterrent ? all of them will kill you if required

.... we are both in Australia ............ 'nuff said.  :(

3 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Can I roll my eyes?  If you are in a bad place, keep your armament close and ready, even if it is only a not insignificant sharpened E tool.  Photos, well whatever.

........... you can, but it won't change things here, ..... and don't get caught with a sharpened any-damned-thing .....   :unsure:

7 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

In Australua at all times  I carry a photo of my .45, sometimes I'II take it out & put on the car seat beside me  !!!!!!!!11

It is Australia, I've never felt the need ever to be armed.

Honestly, how many Aussies would want the population packin' heat?

19 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

In re: Gun on the seat, check out the 1986 Miami Shootout -  gun on the seat effectively disarmed one of the best FBI shooters present.

Totally different from keeping my gun close to me. 

37 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Totally different from keeping my gun close to me. 

A gun on the seat goes onto the floorboard with a quick stop. 

How many times has your cell phone dropped into the footwell with turns or braking.

La pistola is affected by inertia.  

Get a good belt and holster that covers the trigger guard, carry comfortable but keep that roscoe in the holster where you need it.

17 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

In Australua at all times  I carry a photo of my .45, sometimes I'II take it out & put on the car seat beside me  !!!!!!!!11

We do the same thing in Canada.  I feel a lot safer since I started doing that.

In my opinion, the absolutely best place to have a gun in the car is between your legs. Just have it on the seat down between your legs, and the barrel tucked up under your butt. If you have your seatbelt on, there ain't no way you can come high enough off of it for it to move - whether you're doing high speed driving or you crashed in aAND ARE rolling down the hill. That gun is going to stay right there. Easy to get to.

Problem is, carrying it there is illegal in just about every state in the country.

5 minutes ago, Alpo said:

In my opinion, the absolutely best place to have a gun in the car is between your legs. Just have it on the seat down between your legs, and the barrel tucked up under your butt. If you have your seatbelt on, there ain't no way you can come high enough off of it for it to move - whether you're doing high speed driving or you crashed in aAND ARE rolling down the hill. That gun is going to stay right there. Easy to get to.

Problem is, carrying it there is illegal in just about every state in the country.

There's actually a law against sticking a gun up/under your butt?! :lol:

If you got the gun tucked down underneath your legs in your lap, the cop who comes to your door can't see it.

In most states it is also illegal to put it underneath the driver's seat. Same reason. The cop can't see it.

47 minutes ago, Alpo said:

If you got the gun tucked down underneath your legs in your lap, the cop who comes to your door can't see it.

In most states it is also illegal to put it underneath the driver's seat. Same reason. The cop can't see it.

Well. I know I wouldn't care to sit on my gun, but most places if you have a permit, or are constitutional carry, you can carry it pretty much anywhere in the vehicle you want to.  As to an officer seeing it or not, probably only important in states where you must tell the officer you are armed.

Mine is usually in my left pocket. If stopped, a cop can't see it there either. In a bad area, I like between the seat and console.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

In most States?  Assume you’re are referring to those folks without a permit?

The permit allows you to carry a gun. Not stash one down in a hidey hole in your car somewhere.

But you absolutely have my permission to be the test case. B)

Now, Florida allows you to have "a loaded concealed firearm in your vehicle for self-defense, as long as it is not within ready access." They then go on to find what they mean by not within ready access. You can have it in the glove compartment, and they don't care whether it's locked or unlocked. They have decided that the center console qualifies as the glove compartment - this law was written back when cars still had bench seats, instead of two buckets with a console between them. You can have it snapped in a holster. I don't know whether kydex would qualify, because I've never seen a safety strap with a snap on a kydex holster. My fobus holster, however, makes a very distinct SNAP noise when you holster it, so maybe that would qualify. Or you can have it in a box with a lid. And for the purpose of this law the legislature has decided that a zippered gun rug qualifies as a box with a lid.

Notice it does not say that you can have it under the seat or tucked down between your legs or underneath your thigh. They catch you with that they will arrest you.

11 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

A gun on the seat goes onto the floorboard with a quick stop. 

How many times has your cell phone dropped into the footwell with turns or braking.

La pistola is affected by inertia.  

Get a good belt and holster that covers the trigger guard, carry comfortable but keep that roscoe in the holster where you need it.

Never dropped my cell phone, I have it in a stand on my dashboard. I only have the gun on the seat if I’m driving through a not so great neighborhood which rarely happens. Also the way I have it placed on the seat it’ll never drop on the  floorboard it’s wedged between the crack of the seat. Sometimes I put it between my legs.

Archived