SASS Wire Forum

What do you consider big bore?

Alpo

Taffin has written an article (actually it appears it's going to be a series of articles because this said it was part one) about Big Bore Belly Guns. In the article he defined Big Bore as larger or more powerful than the 38 Special. By that definition, 357 is a Big Bore.

But I don't agree. Bore is the diameter of the barrel, and thus the diameter of the bullet. It has nothing to do with power. 357 is a high powered cartridge, but it is medium bore.

To my mind, Big Bore starts at 40 and goes up. So a 455 Webley (which is sort of puny) is a Big Bore, while a 357 Maximum is not.

What do y'all think?

Really poor use of terms. "Larger OR more powerful" so he is talking about "power" as well as size of bore. So really not about "Big bore belly guns" should be "Big or powerful belly guns". Just me but I classify .35 to .41 as mid, .44 and up as big bore, anything below .35 small.

If .44 or larger is “big bore” then the .429 magnum, I mean, .44 magnum is not a big bore. But wait, isn’t the 44-40 a .429 as well?

Was that snapping noise I heard the sound of vertebrae popping as the head snaps into aggressive response position in anger?…relax. I am funnin’ ya! :lol:

Personally, I would deem LARGER than .40 caliber to be big bore. 

If you’ve ever shot a 105mm which if your the loader it definitely got to your belly, then 120mm. That’s big bore lol

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

Taffin has written an article (actually it appears it's going to be a series of articles because this said it was part one) about Big Bore Belly Guns. In the article he defined Big Bore as larger or more powerful than the 38 Special. By that definition, 357 is a Big Bore.

But I don't agree. Bore is the diameter of the barrel, and thus the diameter of the bullet. It has nothing to do with power. 357 is a high powered cartridge, but it is medium bore.

To my mind, Big Bore starts at 40 and goes up. So a 455 Webley (which is sort of puny) is a Big Bore, while a 357 Maximum is not.

What do y'all think?

I consider.44 and above to be big bore. 

.45 pistol, .50 rifle, 10 gauge shotgun

:-)

Archived