SASS Wire Forum

SBR SUPPRESSED opinion

Trigger Mike

If you were to buy a short barreled rifle and suppressor,  would you get .5.56 or 300 blackout?  I was thinking 5.56 since ammo is half of what 300 blackout cost.  

I was also thinking,  suppose the normal AR 15 was banned, wouldn't registered short barrel rifles not be banned since they were a different animal?

I have Both,  so will give a basic for you to decide ,

Pros on 223 cheaper ammo  proven round everywhere , but cons very few and harder to find subsonic rounds.

Pros on 300 Black Lots of subsonic options for ammo , better take down  power , cons not as available ammo wise as the 223.

Me personally go with the .300 blackout and never look back

If the AR was banned the SBR would be first and gee they have your paperwork , Mine are pistol braces and yes still fighting that but easy to swap uppers 

300 Whisper, the precursor to 300 Blackout was literally made to be suppressed. 

Doing a SBR in 5.56 will lose velocity and depending on the can only be quieter, but still may not be hearing safe. 

One thing you can do, depending on the suppressor, is permanently affix it to the barrel. If the barrel and suppressor is over 16" you only need a stamp for the suppressor, and not the SBR. 

Just now, Rooster Cognizant said:

300 Whisper, the precursor to 300 Blackout was literally made to be suppressed. 

Doing a SBR in 5.56 will lose velocity and depending on the can only be quieter, but still may not be hearing safe. 

One thing you can do, depending on the suppressor, is permanently affix it to the barrel. If the barrel and suppressor is over 16" you only need a stamp for the suppressor, and not the SBR. 

If you made it permanent, wouldn't it be hard to keep clean?  

300 , 223 looses allot in short barrels . Plus if you want to be subsonic your only option for the cartridge to hit harder is more weight , which the 223 just doesn’t have when compared to a 30 cal . The powers that be would have never come up with the 300 if it wasn’t a advantage in a suppressed short bbl gun . It was pretty much the whole purpose for the cartridge

1 hour ago, Trigger Mike said:

If you were to buy a short barreled rifle and suppressor,  would you get .5.56 or 300 blackout?  I was thinking 5.56 since ammo is half of what 300 blackout cost.  

I was also thinking,  suppose the normal AR 15 was banned, wouldn't registered short barrel rifles not be banned since they were a different animal?

It would depend on your intended application.  For me suppressing the 5.56 is hardly worth it, and

the .300 loads are much more capable at subsonic velocities, at least for taking thin skinned targets.

Might want to look at Wilson's .300 Ham'r as well.

As for AR bans, if they ban them then a SBR on a AR platform will likely be in the same cattle car.

SC

If'n I were to consider even owning some of those evil black rifles, I would certainly look at acquiring them through the Outdoor trader, face to face from an individual in my home state.  That way there is no 4473 floating around with my name attached to an AR-15.    The pistol arm brace with the short barrel is not currently treated as an NFA firearm.  You could get a binary trigger and really have something to burn up ammo and look evil.

I've been looking at suppressor system that allows you to have one "can", but change the baffles and end caps to accommodate multiple calibers.

The Best Multi-Caliber Suppressors of 2022 – Silencer Central

I have one for my .22 rimfire stuff, but it took forever to get my tax stamp.  If I buy another one, it will be one that allows me to change calibers.

300 BLK. Very, very quiet with subsonic 220 grain ammo supressed.

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

300 BLK. Very, very quiet with subsonic 220 grain ammo supressed.

Same here.

I do recommend dedicating magazines to this caliber, clearly marked so these magazines never get put into a 5.56 gun. I consider this a "con" for 300 BLK (as most who go this route also have 5.56 guns), but the risk is easily managed. Don't blow up a gun.

I'm not following.

If I have a 300 whisper magazine and I load it with 223 and stick it in my 223 AR, will this somehow damage my gun?

Or are you saying they need to be marked so I don't accidentally stick a magazine full of 300 whisper in my 223 AR?

5 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I'm not following.

If I have a 300 whisper magazine and I load it with 223 and stick it in my 223 AR, will this somehow damage my gun?

Or are you saying they need to be marked so I don't accidentally stick a magazine full of 300 whisper in my 223 AR?

There’s lots of stories/pics of people stuffing a 300 BO mag into a 223 and getting a big surprise. 
just another hazard to try to avoid 

14 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Exactly this, a 300 whisper or the newer remake 300 BO will chamber in a 223/5.56 chamber. But the results of trying to push a .30 caliber down a .223 size hole. It isn't going to turn out pretty.

I have both. Different applications for the equipment tactically. Which is why I have both, supplemented by different handguns.  First plan out your needs, then pick those firearms based on use to those needs. Trying to use a shotgun or SBR in a long range situation or the reverse is a bad thing. Multiple firearms propositioned for different situations is the way to go. It’s why soldiers and LEOs have multiple firearms available. 

All my firearms are prestaged for the threat. Doesn’t mean I’ll beat the odds but I’m more prepared. You’re never wrong with more, but you definitely reduced your odds with less

One of the reasons I asked is I am concerned about mixing rounds accidentally.  I like to examine something from several angles and get different views before deciding. 

Also , 300 blackout is expensive,  and I'd be inclined to get enough.

I suppose stencils are wonderful for people that want it to look pretty. But if all you need is information, a paint stick works real good.

First I need to know that this is a Beretta mag and not a Browning mag.

39783955_IMG_20220311_1914020892.thumb.jpg.38caaffee3e0e33dc7b1e0054f885bbe.jpg

Then I need to know that it's for the 92 9mm and not for the 96 40 Smith.

809886918_IMG_20220311_1914119902.thumb.jpg.0912b9d3215090bd46d50a6653936dfb.jpg

The 96 mag also says Beretta, but on the other side it says 40-11.

58 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

One of the reasons I asked is I am concerned about mixing rounds accidentally.  I like to examine something from several angles and get different views before deciding. 

Also , 300 blackout is expensive,  and I'd be inclined to get enough.

Subsonic 300 BLK just makes sense as another caliber to reload. You won't save money overall, but you will be able to shoot more!

43 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

If I had similar mags for different cartridges I would either buy colored mags to tell them apart or stencil the cartridge nomenclature to the magazines. 

Those work too.

I bought some pre-printed "rubber bands" to put around 300 BLK mags. I decided to put two on each mag. That way if one band breaks or falls off, there is still one band left to mark the contents.

Just another way to solve the problem.

1 hour ago, Trigger Mike said:

One of the reasons I asked is I am concerned about mixing rounds accidentally.

It is good to think it through, and lots of good advice in this thread. It really is not that big a problem as long as you recognize it exists and you protect yourself. 

No real difference considering a black-powder-only gun compared to a modern firearm which can handle smokeless powder. Which color Sharpie marks each box and the base of every cartridge in it and how does that system minimize mistakes?

And knowing to only put flat nose ammo in a tube magazine. Don't run +P in a gun not rated for such.

Or if you built an AR-15 with a .223-only match-grade barrel, don't run 5.56 through it; it is also just a bit tight. 300 BLK makes this a bit more dramatic.

Welcome to the world of quiet shooting. Tax stamps are now running about a year, I'm hopeful the "E" file system will shorten the time.

On 3/11/2022 at 9:17 AM, Texas Joker said:

.223/5.56 pull the bullet dump half the powder like certain agencies when they do close in work

Do this and you get a straight pull bolt action rifle or worse a jam-o-matic unless you bore out the dia. of the gas bleed hole in the barrel & get a titanium skeletonized bolt carrier.

Archived