SASS Wire Forum

eroded recoil shield

Lunger Dan

Uberti 1875 Top Break .45 colt purchased late 2018.
30 rounds per month fired from pistol during SASS shooting matches
"recoil " shield around firing pin hole has cratered aprx .002 .in depth-primers now backing out that amount and seizing cylinder to point that hammer cannot be cocked and cylinder does not turn.
Remedy from anyone's experience?
This is rather upsetting after only apx. 1,080 rounds

IMG_4524.JPG

IMG_4523.JPG

High end shotguns sometimes run into this problem and the solution is to have them laser welded.  I sent a pair of guns to Micro precision Welding and they did a great job.  Here is a link to there web site. https://www.microprecisionwelding.com/gun-repair

8 minutes ago, Nate Kiowa Jones #6765 said:

I would add a hardened firing pin bushing like the Colt and Pietta GWII SAA has. I just had to do that to a pair of ASM SAA's. They too had recessed enough to bind the cylinder because the primer wasn't re-seating.

I haven't checked in awhile but I bought several bushing from Dixie years ago

img_1843.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

That would be a great fix.  I bought Pietta bushings in case I could get a gunsmith to install them.  The couple of large gunsmith shops that I tried, couldn't or wouldn't install them.

The S&W top break design should make the repair job a lot easier because of much easier accessibility.  

I had the same problem with a pair of 1872 open tops in 44 colt.

Sent them back to Cimmaron , what a Run Around i recieved .

After the 3rd Gun Smith and 6 months later they put in a hardened pushing in recoil shield.

No problems with them for 15 yrs.

Not a Big fan of Cimmaron.

5 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

!!!!!!!!! WOW !!!!!!!!

That is disturbing!

Their fix was to replace the frames.   You'd have more in them than buying a new gun. 

We are the second owner of the guns and they came to us in this condition.  Taylor's response was that they had been shot with hot handloads.  I had no expectations that Uberti or Taylor's would cover them under warranty. 

4 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Their fix was to replace the frames.   You'd have more in them than buying a new gun. 

We are the second owner of the guns and they came to us in this condition.  Taylor's response was that they had been shot with hot handloads.  I had no expectations that Uberti or Taylor's would cover them under warranty. 

Still pretty disturbing.  It would be interesting to hardness test the alloy.  

21 hours ago, Nate Kiowa Jones #6765 said:

I would add a hardened firing pin bushing like the Colt and Pietta GWII SAA has. I just had to do that to a pair of ASM SAA's. They too had recessed enough to bind the cylinder because the primer wasn't re-seating.

I haven't checked in awhile but I bought several bushing from Dixie years ago

img_1843.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

Nate, is there a special press or tool that peens over the edges to keep the bushing in place?

I had a similar issue with a H&R Topper. The frames in those are made of ductile iron. I annealed an allen set screw, drilled and tapped the frame and drilled a new hole for the firing pin. Ductile iron is not real strong, and if hammered on enough, it gets granular. 

Theory: My guess; you were using Fed primers. The pressure generated in the primer pocket, by the exploding primer, is greater than the pressure generated by the burning powder. Federal primers have a thin cup. I've heard of reloaders drilling the flash hole larger to cut down on that pressure. Also, a light hammer spring doesn't let the tip of the firing pin hold back the pressure like it should. I estimate that the pressure in the primer pocket gets to about 20,000 psi. Not very many square inches, but without a hardened bushing, not much strength there either.

Anyways, that's my theory. 

The Pietta part number looks to be SAA5516.  Available about everywhere Pietta are sold.

But in the case top break, maybe a Smith and Wesson hammer nose bushing may work better due to the bird beak shape of the firing pin.  And they cost less. 

MidwayUSA has them in stock.  Probably available in a lot of places.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004461140

14 hours ago, "Big Boston" said:

I had a similar issue with a H&R Topper. The frames in those are made of ductile iron. I annealed an allen set screw, drilled and tapped the frame and drilled a new hole for the firing pin. Ductile iron is not real strong, and if hammered on enough, it gets granular. 

Theory: My guess; you were using Fed primers. The pressure generated in the primer pocket, by the exploding primer, is greater than the pressure generated by the burning powder. Federal primers have a thin cup. I've heard of reloaders drilling the flash hole larger to cut down on that pressure. Also, a light hammer spring doesn't let the tip of the firing pin hold back the pressure like it should. I estimate that the pressure in the primer pocket gets to about 20,000 psi. Not very many square inches, but without a hardened bushing, not much strength there either.

Anyways, that's my theory. 

Yes to Fed Primers. Thats all I've used...but never reduced spring. Stock springs.

Anyone know about what a hardened bushing job costs? I am absolutely sure there is no gunsmith in my area that could do anything but add a bolt on bipod and rail to the gun, and I wouldn't even trust them to do that right.

I appreciate all the answers.

1 hour ago, Lunger Dan said:

Anyone know about what a hardened bushing job costs? I am absolutely sure there is no gunsmith in my area that could do anything but add a bolt on bipod and rail to the gun, and I wouldn't even trust them to do that right.

Call Nate Kiawa Jones and ask him.

https://stevesgunz.com/

My Colt pistol smith buddy Bill Fuchs in Ten Sleep Wyoming can repair this - probably by TIG welding.  He's an absolute artist at metal repair on guns.

https://springcreekarmory.com/

Problem is,  anyone that can do this work are months behind. 

Ahlman's charged us $200 each to weld the cheater.  Four months to get them back. But we couldn't find anyone else to take on the job.

BTW, 

What is the condition of the nose on the firing pin?   Have you noticed and pierced primers?  

Hot gasses from pierced primers can cause this kind of erosion. 

2 hours ago, Lunger Dan said:

LD, I believe Three Cut is in NC. Maybe someone there can get you to him. He has a pretty good rep.

On 8/22/2021 at 3:00 PM, Warden Callaway said:

Fat chance.  Taylor's told us our Smoke Wagons weren't worth fixing.  

Interesting.  I sent two Cimarron Firearm Ubertis back (years after purchased) which resulted in free repairs.

5 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

BTW, 

What is the condition of the nose on the firing pin?   Have you noticed and pierced primers?  

Hot gasses from pierced primers can cause this kind of erosion. 

Firing pin is fine-there have been no pierced primers at all

What is strange is, I have a Uberti model 1873 that I used for about 4-5 months then put away as a backup when I got the Scofield. So, that only had about 2-300 rounds through it, if that.
It ALso has the moat around the firing pin hole-and I could swear now that I think about it...call me nuts...but thinking about it im pretty sure both came new with the slight moat around the firing pin hole. 
Anyone else buy one new that had the moat?

I had this problem with my .44 Open Tops about5 years ago.  Had "hardened " bushings installed and the problem continued.  Sold the guns after explaining the issue to two pards looking for a project. 

The question is why this happens. 

I shoot BP with Federal primers.  I wondered if the softer primers somehow were responsible. 

Don't see this problem with my two Colts.

CP

On 8/24/2021 at 10:50 AM, Lunger Dan said:

Firing pin is fine-there have been no pierced primers at all

What is strange is, I have a Uberti model 1873 that I used for about 4-5 months then put away as a backup when I got the Scofield. So, that only had about 2-300 rounds through it, if that.
It ALso has the moat around the firing pin hole-and I could swear now that I think about it...call me nuts...but thinking about it im pretty sure both came new with the slight moat around the firing pin hole. 
Anyone else buy one new that had the moat?

Common with toggle link rifles, at least Uberti's.

kR

18 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Lunger Dan,

Have you made any progress with getting your gun fixed? 

Havn't figured out what to do yet...there was a guy on a marlin forum who did the bushing himself...may try that He listed bushing part that was 5/16 (.312) so he used a 5/16 aircraft drill and 5/16 dual end mill cut 

18 hours ago, Lunger Dan said:

Havn't figured out what to do yet...there was a guy on a marlin forum who did the bushing himself...may try that He listed bushing part that was 5/16 (.312) so he used a 5/16 aircraft drill and 5/16 dual end mill cut 

Unless you have access to a mill, I wouldn't try a DIY fix. The hole for the bushing has to be perfect.

I was scrounging around on the infernal net and found an interesting video and took a screen shot.  This is a First Model Russian which is basically a S&W American.  (The humpbacked finger tab model came out later.)  What is interesting is it appears to have a recoil shield around the firing pin.

Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 12.49.29 PM.png

2 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I was scrounging around on the infernal net and found an interesting video and took a screen shot.  This is a First Model Russian which is basically a S&W American.  (The humpbacked finger tab model came out later.)  What is interesting is it appears to have a recoil shield around the firing pin.

Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 12.49.29 PM.png

Can you post a link to the video?  I'd sure like to see it. 

Archived