SASS Wire Forum

RV/camper over hoteling it...

Singin' Sue 71615

The best thing we ever did was purchase a trailer!

When we joined SASS, we went 2 years not knowing anything...where to shoot, what clubs, ect.

Somehow, we were not getting the Chronicle, and we fell through the cracks.

After meeting Jersey Kid, Jersey Kid Brother (RIP) and Dark Angel at the local Steakhouse...they invited us out to EOT at Founders and introduced us to local folks. 2 years gone, and our club was just 25 min away!!!

Anywho, I went looking, found a small trailer...and the following June we registered as conventioneers and camped on range.

Wow...the friends we met that year!!!

After 12 years, the baby girl got traded in for our 5th wheel....JOY!

We use our rig at least 7 times a year, one of wich is 3 weeks at one match.

I just got our confirmation for our spot for EOT 2022 (space #90 in BASF dry camp in East campground) and for our 15 days...a whoppin' $156.

Now, we are blessed that we can have our rig(s) on our property, and not have to find/pay for storage...wich I can see as a downfall.

But MAN, do I love having our house on wheels.

We use our wheelie houses...yes, 2 of them, often. We picked up a 20' tag along for overnight/close shoots...even some long distance 3 dayers...and hunting. My 5th is not going hunting...EVER!!!

I just love not having to transfer gear in and out of hotels...worry about what I might have forgotten...sleep in my own bed, not to mention the cost factor and ease of cooking at 'home'.

Am I the only one??

20210630_085239.jpg

We loved our fiver and used it a lot for multi day shoots.  We weren't able to bring it out of Cali when we left {Not enough vehicles to tow it} so we sold it.  Hopefully we will connect with a club here and start shooting again.  Maybe we'll get another rig and start the whole process again.  I miss it a lot. 

1 minute ago, Calamity Kris said:

We loved our fiver and used it a lot for multi day shoots.  We weren't able to bring it out of Cali when we left {Not enough vehicles to tow it} so we sold it.  Hopefully we will connect with a club here and start shooting again.  Maybe we'll get another rig and start the whole process again.  I miss it a lot. 

I really think they will start popping up for sale in a year or two...

I would miss ours so much.

Good hunting!

To each his/her own.  I worked in the travel trailer/motor home industry for several years before I got married. I worked in the tour bus industry for fifteen years, just before I retired.

I’m just the opposite!  I don’t pay a note or make a huge outlay for the trailer. I don’t have to maintain or pay for someone else to maintain another vehicle, (I have seven others). I don’t have to insure, license, store, or winterize a trailer and it’s one less thing that I have to clean up, clean out, empty holding tanks, fill water tanks, or worry about someone breaking into, vandalizing, or stealing. I don’t have to pay exorbitant fuel bills to get to where I am going. My tow vehicle is going on twenty-five years old and even after towing race cars, band equipment, and pulling a vending trailer for five years all over the country, I still don’t need a new one. That’s almost twenty years of NO NOTE!!

NOW! Let me also qualify this with the statement that I/we don’t have to have Hilton/Ritz Carlton accommodations either! I’m an old biker.  I’ve slept in places where I parked my bike in the room with me and places where I would sleep with my handgun on my chest.

If it’s clean, has hot water for a shower, the A/C works, and I don’t have to sleep in shifts for security’s sake, I’m good!!  I actually prefer a place where my vehicle is parked outside the front door!  And like I said, I don’t have to clean it up, take out the trash, or even change the sheets!!

I’m happy for those that have and like their turtle shells.  I see their side of it and understand.  I have even spent a night or a weekend with some of those nice folks.

Just ain’t me.

26 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

To each his/her own.  I worked in the travel trailer/motor home industry for several years before I got married. I worked in the tour bus industry for fifteen years, just before I retired.

I’m just the opposite!  I don’t pay a note or make a huge outlay for the trailer. I don’t have to maintain or pay for someone else to maintain another vehicle, (I have seven others). I don’t have to insure, license, store, or winterize a trailer and it’s one less thing that I have to clean up, clean out, empty holding tanks, fill water tanks, or worry about someone breaking into, vandalizing, or stealing. I don’t have to pay exorbitant fuel bills to get to where I am going. My tow vehicle is going on twenty-five years old and even after towing race cars, band equipment, and pulling a vending trailer for five years all over the country, I still don’t need a new one. That’s almost twenty years of NO NOTE!!

NOW! Let me also qualify this with the statement that I/we don’t have to have Hilton/Ritz Carlton accommodations either! I’m an old biker.  I’ve slept in places where I parked my bike in the room with me and places where I would sleep with my handgun on my chest.

If it’s clean, has hot water for a shower, the A/C works, and I don’t have to sleep in shifts for security’s sake, I’m good!!  I actually prefer a place where my vehicle is parked outside the front door!  And like I said, I don’t have to clean it up, take out the trash, or even change the sheets!!

I’m happy for those that have and like their turtle shells.  I see their side of it and understand.  I have even spent a night or a weekend with some of those nice folks.

Just ain’t me.

Now wait....weren't you in a coach last time we saw each other???:ph34r:

My parents became missionaries when I was in middle school.  we'd travel around the States raising support during our time off the mission field.  After the first couple months we got a pull trailter, later on a Class C.  during one 3 month period we averaged over 300 miles a day for 3 months straight.  My parents are stateside now but they still have a motor home and we travel all over with them in it.  It's a way of life we've taken to.  when I'm out of debt, I want to build my own.  until then we like to camp or stay with friends, hotels when we have to.

1 minute ago, El CupAJoe said:

My parents became missionaries when I was in middle school.  we'd travel around the States raising support during our time off the mission field.  After the first couple months we got a pull trailter, later on a Class C.  during one 3 month period we averaged over 300 miles a day for 3 months straight.  My parents are stateside now but they still have a motor home and we travel all over with them in it.  It's a way of life we've taken to.  when I'm out of debt, I want to build my own.  until then we like to camp or stay with friends, hotels when we have to.

I have seen some awesome renovations of old Greyhound style busses!

School buses too!!!

32 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Now wait....weren't you in a coach last time we saw each other???:ph34r:

No, m’am.  I might have been hanging out in someone else’s.  I visit with folks a lot when I’m at a shoot.  I’m usually the last one to leave the party ‘cause I’m used to loading out the band after closing time.

The RV park adjacent to South Point in Vegas beats the dickens out of any hotel.  My kitchen, my bed, you know what I mean.....  Nothing better than a good taco bar with your camp neighbors.... 

2 minutes ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

The RV park adjacent to South Point in Vegas beats the dickens out of any hotel.  My kitchen, my bed, you know what I mean.....  Nothing better than a good taco bar with your camp neighbors.... 

We stayed in an RV park for Shot Show.

Ubered to the show and back!

17 minutes ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

I hear ya’!!  When I visit my camper friends, I always TRY to bring something to contribute to the meal/party.  BUT!!  When I’m traveling, I’d rather not cook, (unless I can help you prepare your feast) and I would rather have someone else keep up with the plates, utensils, the cleanup.

I do a lot of that at home and trips and shoots are vacation time!

We love our 26' travel trailer.  It's not one of those giant luxurious 5th wheels but it works for us and I can easily tow it with a F-150.  We attend 6-7 big matches a year and usually only attend the ones where we can stay on the range.  Camping on the range has become very popular with camping often selling out before the match fills up.  I'd much rather stay in my camper on the range than in some motel 20 miles from the range.  I could never decide between leaving my guns in the truck or leaving them in the motel room when we went out for dinner.  

Don't buy an RV because you think you're going to save money.  You won't.  It's an entertainment expense.  

5 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

We love our 26' travel trailer.  It's not one of those giant luxurious 5th wheels but it works for us and I can easily tow it with a F-150.  We attend 6-7 big matches a year and usually only attend the ones where we can stay on the range.  Camping on the range has become very popular with camping often selling out before the match fills up.  I'd much rather stay in my camper on the range than in some motel 20 miles from the range.  I could never decide between leaving my guns in the truck or leaving them in the motel room when we went out for dinner.  

Don't buy an RV because you think you're going to save money.  You won't.  It's an entertainment expense.  

We enjoy our 20' tag a long...has a small slide wich gives great space.

Shanley gets a bit edgy if longer than 3 days, prefers the 5th for longer shoots.

We would not have the 5th, if it hadn't been a steal!!!

Lots of things to consider when buying an RV.  With our holding tanks, we lasted 6 nights dry camping at EOT this year.  That's a new record for dry camping for us.  The bigger the camper, the bigger the truck that needs to haul it.  Very easy to buy more camper than your truck can handle.  Camper salesmen will lie to you.

The learning curve is pretty steep and can be expensive when you get your first RV.  I've found that most disasters that befall you in an RV when you are 300+ miles from home will happen on a Sunday when all the camping stores are closed.  Most disasters can be overcome with a good VISA card 1st thing Monday morning. 

10 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Lots of things to consider when buying an RV.  With our holding tanks, we lasted 6 nights dry camping at EOT this year.  That's a new record for dry camping for us.  The bigger the camper, the bigger the truck that needs to haul it.  Very easy to buy more camper than your truck can handle.  Camper salesmen will lie to you.

The learning curve is pretty steep and can be expensive when you get your first RV.  I've found that most disasters that befall you in an RV when you are 300+ miles from home will happen on a Sunday when all the camping stores are closed.  Most disasters can be overcome with a good VISA card 1st thing Monday morning. 

Why yes...so right!

Had the transfer case start squeeling 1/2 way to Tbones 2 years ago...

Man!! 

It stopped, so we continued on (not really knowing what it was, as no oil anywhere)

It really started howling an hour plus 30 min away from home.

I told Shanley to keep going...the closer to home, the less the tow bill!!!

Made it home.

Last year on the Dodge, the water pump went out...on a Sunday, and an hour away from the shoot!

Howling Wolf came and rescued us...took the man to get the part...and one of his workers was a mechanic.

In 6 years, the only things we have needed on RV were the crank case and the legs for raising...knock on wood!!!

I've actually got three of them :lol:

The first one is a 1960 12' Aristocrat "Li'l Loafer", next is a 2012 14.5' Jayco "Jay Flight Swift", and the last is a 2005 31.5' Crossroads "Paradise Pointe".

I paid a few hundred bucks for the junker Aristocrat about twenty years ago just for somewhere to sleep while traveling back & forth to Bellingham from Helena to visit my daughter before she came to live with me full-time. I bought the 31 1/2' Paradise Pointe and F350 new in '05 to do some traveling, and then the 14.5' Jayco Swift three years ago for overnight trips and weekend shoots. It's OK for a couple days, but if it's longer than that, I'll take the Paradise Pointe.

The Aristocrat hasn't been out of the shed/barn in probably 15 years, and has just become storage space for some excess things. I need to get rid of them all and buy something in the 24' range.

AmandaMakayla 005.jpg

Jayco.jpg

ParadisePointe.jpg

5 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I've actually got three of them :lol:

The first one is a 1960 12' Aristocrat "Li'l Loafer", next is a 2012 14.5' Jayco "Jay Flight Swift", and the last is a 2005 31.5' Crossroads "Paradise Pointe".

I paid a few hundred bucks for the junker Aristocrat about twenty years ago just for somewhere to sleep while traveling back & forth to Bellingham from Helena to visit my daughter before she came to live with me full-time. I bought the 31 1/2' Paradise Pointe and F350 new in '05 to do some traveling, and then the 14.5' Jayco Swift three years ago for overnight trips and weekend shoots. It's OK for a couple days, but if it's longer than that, I'll take the Paradise Pointe.

The Aristocrat hasn't been out of the shed/barn in probably 15 years, and has just become storage space for some excess things. I need to get rid of them all and buy something in the 24' range.

AmandaMakayla 005.jpg

Jayco.jpg

ParadisePointe.jpg

The swift is close to our hunting/short trip rig.

We gave the '65 Holiday Rambler to the youngest daughter...needs some TLC.

I lucked out when I found a MH with a wheelchair lift for my son.I also got a SxS once we get to where we are going.Makes things a lot easier.

Largo

3 minutes ago, largo casey #19191 said:

I lucked out when I found a MH with a wheelchair lift for my son.I also got a SxS once we get to where we are going.Makes things a lot easier.

Largo

You are blessed with many things, my friend.

I use my 23 foot Class C to spend the night before on the range(s) for the matches I attend in our area, even though they may be just a short drive away.

I'm at an age that I dislike getting up that early in the morning, driving to the match, then driving home after being in the heat.

SWMBO encouraged me to bring the motor home, dry camping at some places, electricity at some others.

My riding partner and co-sponsor of the Square-Circle Wranglers and I usually bunked inside and, running the on-board Genny, watched movies in air-conditioned comfort with our favourite beverages. 

Sometimes we even lured the Territorial Governor, Rooster Corrigan, into joining us.

On hiatus right now, due to Covid and the health concerns of Sherron, (SWMBO).

New Motor Home 002 (2).JPG

Ours is on order and, realistically, it'll be here in the spring.  A Nash 24M, 27'+, with onboard generator and small solar panel to charge the battery(s).  It should be a good size for the wife and I.  We're looking forward to taking it to some of the matches on my bucket list.  It'll also be a good place to stay on those longer visits with family out of state.  Yep, so far all positive comments - other than the wait time for its arrival.

BS

3 minutes ago, Barry Sloe said:

Ours is on order and, realistically, it'll be here in the spring.  A Nash 24M, 27'+, with onboard generator and small solar panel to charge the battery(s).  It should be a good size for the wife and I.  We're looking forward to taking it to some of the matches on my bucket list.  It'll also be a good place to stay on those longer visits with family out of state.  Yep, so far all positive comments - other than the wait time for its arrival.

BS

It will be plenty of space!!

If she wants a few ideas of easy/low cost, low wieght things to improve cabinet space, have her contact me.

We just bought an new 2021 Forest River Cherokee Alpha Wolf.  It's a " couple's" camper.  One love seat and one bed.  Huge bathroom, nice kitchen, outdoor kitchen and grill.  We sold our 19 year old camper, as we didn't need the extra space, nor the expense of upkeep.  Planning on taking it to several matches in the next few years.

camper.jpg

We bought a 23 ft bunkhouse model to haul grandkids. Pulls easily with my F150. It is a 2016 and we've hauled it over 40000 miles already. Spent 52 days in a row in 2020 and didn't even kill each other during that time. Love to have huge 5th wheel but this does us just fine. You can stay in a lot of hotels for a long time for less money than owning and operating ANY RV but that is not what is about. It's about spending time with friends in the campground at a shoot, grandkids having a great time staying in Papaw's trailer and just the convenience of having everything with you on a trip. We owned a class C when my three kids were young and traveled to 38 states with them. The memories were well worth the cost of the RV.

IMG_20180320_115104194.jpg

I pull a 14ft A-frame popup..   But I usually travel alone, mostly under 350 miles(one way) and normally 3 days with  6 days for our Regional.   Easy to tow, quick to set up .  Run dry camp off batteries but can power up for luxury.  Fridge, cook top, heater, CoolCat A/C and has a real mattress.  Have to camp to enjoy the campfire time       GW

Come for the shoot=== Stay for the friends       GW

I have a love/hate relationship with ours. 

YES. They can be a pain and a expense. 

But for us it's worth it. Even more so now that many of our

friends have gotten one also. We try to camp next to each other and

really enjoy those times. Even have a few non shooting trips planned for next

year with a group of us to travel and camp together. One trip will be to the beach with

I think at this point 6 couples with campers going. And a few that will be in hotels. 

But you can bet they will be hanging out at the campsites with us.  

Just now, Anvil Al #59168 said:

I have a love/hate relationship with ours. 

YES. They can be a pain and a expense. 

But for us it's worth it. Even more so now that many of our

friends have gotten one also. We try to camp next to each other and

really enjoy those times. Even have a few non shooting trips planned for next

year with a group of us to travel and camp together. One trip will be to the beach with

I think at this point 6 couples with campers going. And a few that will be in hotels. 

But you can bet they will be hanging out at the campsites with us.  

Yup...we remember your 'hate' relationship that EOT! What was it...an hour away?

I down sized from a class A diesel pusher with a couple of slides to one of these a couple of years ago and love it. Tows behind my Nissan Frontier like it’s not even there. Just right for one person.

91B51F4F-1F3E-4F1F-B8B7-AEA5138F0542.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Yup...we remember your 'hate' relationship that EOT! What was it...an hour away?

Yes. Hard time getting there.

AND. Problems getting home after. 

We have replaced all the axles from 4,000lb each to 7,500lb each.

Bigger bearings and brakes. 

No more problems. We used it a fair amount this year with another trip or two still to go.

We have a 26-ft TT and take it to matches.  Lots of positives mentioned in this thread.  However, there are some downsides.  I can't travel as far in one day (no big deal since I retired).  I don't pull it in certain weather conditions like strong crosswinds and snowy/icy roads.  I avoid arriving at campgrounds after dark due to poor lighting so I don't travel at night.  I can't buy fuel at the least expense stations.  I fuel at travel plazas.  At Nebraska State our trailer was being repaired so we stayed in a Holiday Inn.  That saved us some wind damage from a serious storm.  There seems to be minor repairs needed after every trip.   Dry camping adds to the complexity of a match.  Besides shooting one has to manage fresh water, two kinds of waste water and keep batteries charged.  I don't mind all this but eating in restaurants, sleeping in motels and driving a short vehicle is less work.

18 minutes ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

Yes. Hard time getting there.

AND. Problems getting home after. 

We have replaced all the axles from 4,000lb each to 7,500lb each.

Bigger bearings and brakes. 

No more problems. We used it a fair amount this year with another trip or two still to go.

Knock on wood...

8 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Boy ain't that the truth.

Kajun

Archived