SASS Wire Forum

What Is This Lee Reloading Item

Cypress Sun

I picked up a bunch of reloading items in an estate sale. There are a few things that I don't know what they are, this is one. Red Lee box, only marking is 223 on it. It can't be a die that goes into a reloading press as it has no threads/size of that type. Thought I'd call on the wisdom here to find out what this is and approximately what it's worth.

Thanks

Sun

20210325_183149.jpg

20210325_183157.jpg

20210325_183217.jpg

20210325_183244.jpg

20210325_183318.jpg

20210325_183354.jpg

20210325_183354.jpg

That is a hand reloading kit that allows you to reload one round at a time anywhere.

All you need is powder , bullets, primers and a HAMMER      GW

Just make sure you lube the case. 
Also, leave the beer in the fridge or cooler and make sure you follow the instructions. Resize before priming. Resizing after priming could set off the primer and you might jump and knock over your beer and attract the attention of your neighbors...or so I have heard. 

Some call it the "Wack a Mole Reloader". They normally run $20 but these days they are going for $120 or more on ebay.

Simple, slow,  primitive perhaps, but if you use a scale to measure the powder instead of a scoop you can make darn good (accurate) ammo with one.

Lee Loader 223 Rem - Lee Precision

here's the current production version, mostly just a change in the packaging as far as I can tell.  I got one in .357 magnum back in the day and I still pull it out for odd things I need to do here or there.  I keep it around mostly as a prepper item as I don't care enough about "super accurate benchrest type loading" at the range for a 150 yard max cartridge.  I started out using it in an apartment, and I never was really comfortable with all the noise I was making smacking it around with a hammer on the second story so I had to get creative in finding ways to reduce noise while using it.  Eventually I got a Lee hand press and i used that for all my reloading until I finally got a place with a work bench and upgraded to the Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro.

One of those Lee hand loaders was my first , in 44 Mag. I would have to say it was a 90% solution , as it didn't always resize the brass enough to chamber easily.

A couple of years later when I finally could afford an RCBS Jr. press and dies , a whole new reloading world opened up.

Rex :D

I have one in 303-30. Works OK I guess, but I wonder how consistent they would be. They all fired OK, but weren't chronoed.

5 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I have one in 303-30. Works OK I guess, but I wonder how consistent they would be. They all fired OK, but weren't chronoed.

If you are consistent in how you dip and level the powder they will turn out remarkably accurate ammo. Much better than a lot of people would believe. 

21 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

The Lee version of the Lyman 310 Tool.

image.thumb.png.98bf8fdf520f8ade240acc4e0c2609cb.png

I saw one of these at a gun show years ago. It was a set like you have in this photo. The guy selling it was a PITA to deal with. He kept changing his price that started at $125. When I pulled out my wallet he started showing me how it worked and as he talked he would say “Oh, I forgot about this...” or “I forgot how cool this is...” and with each comment his price went up. All of a sudden he says “I won’t take less than $325.”

I told him “No thanks.” And walked away. 

I have 2 of them. The first one I got from my wife's relatives, it's in .357/ .38. My second is in 12 ga. that I  use for completing the star crimp for my paper hulls because my Lee Load-all tends to pull them apart when I do the final crimp.

Do not use a steel hammer/mallet.

Best to use a heavy plastic mallet, instead.

CatBrules 14086

I do have Lee loaders for.45 Colt, .38 Special, .357 Magnum and I think .223, .308 and 30-30. I guess I need to crack that box open and look. 

Archived