Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum
Sign in to follow this  
wyliefoxEsquire

How to shoot a match with social distancing.

Recommended Posts

I am the sole shooter at my private home range. The best part is being my personal TO. That sure doesn't hurt my timing. :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

I am the sole shooter at my private home range. The best part is being my personal TO. That sure doesn't hurt my timing. :D

I know you were joking MM, but at our age this is probably the safest thing to do for a while.  I sure wanted to go shoot at RRV Cowpokes today up at Albany, OK but just don't think I am ready for the risk.  The rural area where I live seems to now be getting the hit, or at least the revealing of such.  (example, 50 positive in nursing home and 20 being staff)  IMO, there are those out there who have not got the picture yet of the seriousness of this.  (example, family shopping at big store with several kids touching this and that).  Perhaps I am overly paranoid about this situation and anyone who knows me should know how bad I want to shoot a match, but that little voice in my head, not to mention Sassy, suggests to understand my age is not ideal for the gamble.  Good news is that I live in country and my ranch has a nice range so that I can, as you mention, have my own match and practice sessions.  I have actually been adamant about keeping a live and/or dry fire routine going most every day so that when the day comes for me to 'jump in the water", I will still have some competitiveness in my shooting.   

 

Hope we get great reports of how the matches that are starting up go with flow and success under the special precautions in place.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

I know you were joking MM, but at our age this is probably the safest thing to do for a while.  I sure wanted to go shoot at RRV Cowpokes today up at Albany, OK but just don't think I am ready for the risk.  The rural area where I live seems to now be getting the hit, or at least the revealing of such.  (example, 50 positive in nursing home and 20 being staff)  IMO, there are those out there who have not got the picture yet of the seriousness of this.  (example, family shopping at big store with several kids touching this and that).  Perhaps I am overly paranoid about this situation and anyone who knows me should know how bad I want to shoot a match, but that little voice in my head, not to mention Sassy, suggests to understand my age is not ideal for the gamble.  Good news is that I live in country and my ranch has a nice range so that I can, as you mention, have my own match and practice sessions.  I have actually been adamant about keeping a live and/or dry fire routine going most every day so that when the day comes for me to 'jump in the water", I will still have some competitiveness in my shooting.   

 

Hope we get great reports of how the matches that are starting up go with flow and success under the special precautions in place.

The Belton Bushwackers match went very well!  It was limited to 30 shooters, 3 posses of 10 each.  29 showed up.  No more than two on the loading table at a time. On our posse Cowboy Junky and I were the only two to handle the timer.  The number of folks handling the tablets was limited as well.  Plenty of hand sanitizer.

 

It was a fun match, other than Cowboy Junky beating me.  But I'm used to that, so it's OK.

 

 

Big thanks to Slippery Stu and the Bushwackers for putting on the match.

 

Next week - Tennessee Mountain Marauders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

The Belton Bushwackers match went very well!  It was limited to 30 shooters, 3 posses of 10 each.  29 showed up.  No more than two on the loading table at a time. On our posse Cowboy Junky and I were the only two to handle the timer.  The number of folks handling the tablets was limited as well.  Plenty of hand sanitizer.

 

It was a fun match, other than Cowboy Junky beating me.  But I'm used to that, so it's OK.

 

 

Big thanks to Slippery Stu and the Bushwackers for putting on the match.

 

Next week - Tennessee Mountain Marauders.

Good news Cap Burt.  Maybe this and other successes will form acceptable plans for more clubs to accept in the coming months.  Thanks for review.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I will get specific.

Match directors, how do you deal with the RO/TO being greater than 6 feet away?  Most other issues can be solved and still have 6 feet.  

Edited by wyliefoxEsquire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, wyliefoxEsquire said:

I will get specific.

Match directors, how do you deal with the RO/TO being greater than 6 feet away?  Most other issues can be solved and still have 6 feet.  

 

Personal thoughts regarding the entire business aside....

 

The reality is that the RO/TO may have to be closer.  Starting the timer, getting the last few shots, intervening if necessary.  It's just part of that role.  We see it as necessary for safety and proper functioning of a match.  So it's within the guidelines issued by our county.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One suggestion that has been tossed around here is, Set the Timer on Delay and the Shooter starts himself.

You can still have movement on the stage as long as the First and the Last shot are close enough for the Timer to pick up.

Have plenty of Wipes on Hand & wipe the Timer for the next Shooter.

 

Another thats sounds Odd... But in reality would probably work OK .... Have the TO stay 6 ft away....

But stick out his arm, lean in and hold his breath to start the Shooter and Again to get the last shot...... It sounds Funny.... But it should work.

 

I'm sure we'll Figure it out !!!!!

Main thing is to Get Out & SHOOT....

Ain't Nuthin' Better for Ya than Sunshine & Fresh Air !!!!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We will finally have our first match of season this month.  Ironically, it will fall on what should have been the final day of our state match which we postponed.  We plan to practice many of the above suggestions.  All participants will also be encouraged to remind each other of the proper safety practices and to not be offended when reminded themselves.  
Posses will be small.  Spotters will be spaced out.  Each RO will have a timer.  There will be two scorekeepers, each with their own clipboard, scorecards, and pen.  There will not be loading or unloading table officers - check and double check yourself.  Hand sanitizer and wipes will be on each unloading table.  No common food, coffee, etc will be on hand.
These are interesting times.  They've been stressful.  Despite all the "don't do this", "you must do that", we sure hope to make the stages super fun with goofy stories, funny lines, great target sequences, and maybe even some COVID targets to blast away at.  We all need the release!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had our first match yesterday also.  At first there was some standoffish greetings. Some came prepared to to wear masks but none did.  I shook hands when a hand was offered.  We had a canister of hand wipes available on the signup table.  If anyone used one I didn't see it (or smell it).  Sawmill Mary said she seen one on the ground so at least one was used. Once the stage directions were read, and TO said, "First shooter!",  we went back to the "old norm".  We had a posse of 10 and 13.  Great time was had by all. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

We had our first match yesterday also.  At first there was some standoffish greetings. Some came prepared to to wear masks but none did.  I shook hands when a hand was offered.  We had a canister of hand wipes available on the signup table.  If anyone used one I didn't see it (or smell it).  Sawmill Mary said she seen one on the ground so at least one was used. Once the stage directions were read, and TO said, "First shooter!",  we went back to the "old norm".  We had a posse of 10 and 13.  Great time was had by all. 

The way it was. Sounds great Warden!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was recently questioned about our announcement that we would be holding our first match of the 2020 season soon.  I was asked if we were concerned about stipulations on the number attending.  (Yes, I'm aware that there was an issue recently in another state)  I responded that I continually monitor the guidelines in place, noting that they change OFTEN.  There are also somewhat unclear.  I added this: I challenge anyone to go to a local state park or private campground over Memorial Day weekend. Stand in line at WalMart or a grocery store to buy your hot dog or hamburger rolls. I don't think the environment of any sportsman's club will ever see the kind of numbers that any one of them will see. I doubt that any one of those places will exercise the kind of caution that we will either.
 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

We had our first match yesterday also.  At first there was some standoffish greetings. Some came prepared to to wear masks but none did.  I shook hands when a hand was offered.  We had a canister of hand wipes available on the signup table.  If anyone used one I didn't see it (or smell it).  Sawmill Mary said she seen one on the ground so at least one was used. Once the stage directions were read, and TO said, "First shooter!",  we went back to the "old norm".  We had a posse of 10 and 13.  Great time was had by all. 

Great to hear.

That's the way one of the clubs I shoot is. We had 35 shooters yesterday. SMILES ALL AROUND.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, wyliefoxEsquire said:

I will get specific.

Match directors, how do you deal with the RO/TO being greater than 6 feet away?  Most other issues can be solved and still have 6 feet.  

Wylie if the T.O. Wears a mask does that mitigate the 6 foot rule? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tough to say.  It depends on who you trust.  I will not go into the science here, other than to say. I believe most folks do not know what N95 means nor the foundation of the 6' rule.  It is all a matter of probability, real math supporting theoretical science!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will leave the math and science to you.  What are Stars thoughts on temperature checks? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everything is about mitigation of risk and PPE In my realm right now.  Because of your theoretical science and probabilities every thing seems to be a risk of some sort and all we can do is minimize it as much as humanly possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If others choose to wear a mask that is their decision, if I am being told that I "MUST" wear a mask, then I have other things to do.

 

Bugler

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Business owners (ranges for example) have every right to require customers to wear masks. I would never miss a match because I was required to wear a mask. I enjoy CAS to much to miss a match over something so small.

 

The government has zero right to require any citizen to wear a mask and it will be a cold day in hell when some government drone successfully requires me to bend the knee.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Business owners (ranges for example) have every right to require customers to wear masks. I would never miss a match because I was required to wear a mask. I enjoy CAS to much to miss a match over something so small.

 

The government has zero right to require any citizen to wear a mask and it will be a cold day in hell when some government drone successfully requires me to bend the knee.

That’s how it is here starting today. You must wear a mask to enter any business that is open. One of the requirements for the businesses to be allowed to open is that they must require all staff and customers to wear a mask before allowing entry. If the business doesn’t comply they will be forced to shut back down until they do. It’s the way our governor can say that he doesn’t require individuals to wear a mask. He forces the business to require it or he will shut them down. Just political BS so next election he can say I never forced anyone to wear a mask. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, doc roy l. pain said:

That’s how it is here starting today. You must wear a mask to enter any business that is open. One of the requirements for the businesses to be allowed to open is that they must require all staff and customers to wear a mask before allowing entry. If the business doesn’t comply they will be forced to shut back down until they do. It’s the way our governor can say that he doesn’t require individuals to wear a mask. He forces the business to require it or he will shut them down. Just political BS so next election he can say I never forced anyone to wear a mask. 

Business owners who believe in their civil rights should tell the governor to kiss their butts and open without the mask requirement anyway (unless they themselves want the mask policy).  If enough of them do, he'll fold.  Once this is over, vote him out. 

 

I'm not going to cast a ballot for any politician who supports ordering people to stay home or ordering them to wear masks. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A side note to my comment above is this....Many of you know that I am a real deal bugler sounding TAPS for deceased military and their families graveside. I was told that on my last service that I HAD to wear a mask.......I then asked the funeral director how expected me to play? He had a silly look on his face....I then told him that he has a choice, I can mask up and NOT sound TAPS or forget the mask and do what I came here to do.....you pick.

 

As the service as starting in about 2 minutes he decided that it would be OK for me to NOT don a mask.

 

Bugler

 

PS. Now all Memorial Day services are cancelled......what an insult to our veterans deceased or not!!!!!!!!!!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I say if they ain't looking just shoot- out of control with all this 19 crap.

 

If you feel your high risk then by all means take your precaution's, sounds like a good comprise from Captain Bill Burt's club.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 1:10 PM, twelve mile REB said:

Must be photo shopped every knows that there is 10 inches of mud in Helena MT. on April 25th

Three Foot Johnson, does this mean when we shoot in Montana now we have to wear a Burka?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We shot at Black Horse yesterday and Saturday - a cold rain when I got up there with my little trailer Friday night, but hot enough to get ya sweatin' the next two days!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We moved into the yellow phase on the 15th.  This allowed many retail businesses to open but still no hairdressers, gyms etc.  Gatherings are to be limited to 25.  However, just this past weekend there were yard and garage sales everywhere (as in town wide yard sales).  Outdoor farmer's markets and flea markets opened.  I don't know of any monthly match that I have been to that would have people in this kind of close proximity.  When I ask myself "how is this farmer's market in comparison to a cowboy match" I can only answer that the people are spaced farther apart and also over larger acreage.  Our club begins shooting on Sunday.  Should be have more than 25 (and it sure looks like we will) so be it.  I supposed we could set baskets of fruits and vegetables around and call it a farmer's market, but way more fun. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Tennessee Mountain Marauders put on a great match Saturday.  There were 30+ shooters.  When we started quite a few people were wearing masks.  By the time we finished I didn't see any worn.

 

I split TO duties with the posse marshal and neither of us wore a mask.  No complaints or concerns voiced by shooters.

 

Unfortunately both my options for 4th Saturday shooting have decided to remain closed for May, but for June it looks like four of our five monthly matches will be back to shooting. 

 

Georgia reopened April 24.  At that point our 7 day rolling average of Covid deaths was 33 per day.  As of today, 25 days later, our 7 day rolling average is 29.  Where's the spike?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Each TO brought and used his own timer

no spotting sticks

3 loading tables - only one shooter per table.

No hugs, handshakes, etc.

Used common sense about physical distancing.

Had a great shoot in Valdosta, GA

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We shot our 1st match of the 2020 season today - ironically it was what would have been the final day of our now postponed state match.  I used many of the ideas outlined in this post to come up with our COVID rules.  Without any prompting or reminders everyone was very respectful of "social distancing".  I sensed that some arrived with a little apprehension on their mind.  The only vocal one was wondering how this would work if there was no hugging!  We actually had some hugs and handshakes.  No one minded.  There was laughter and smiles everywhere.  Folks drove 3 hours for a day of beautiful weather spent with friends that they had not seen, in some cases, for a year.

The hours of planning I put into the implementation of the COVID rules were for naught.  After 10 weeks of what can only be likened to solitary confinement folks just need OUT!  No one needed reminders.  No one was afraid to touch a pen, timer, scorecard, etc.  No one needed to be reminded to space out when loading or spotting.  We shoot again next Sunday.  My one and only "rule" announcement will be "There is hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes in each unloading table."  Our shooters proved that was all that they need.  After all, we trust them all to safely play a game with loaded firearms.  Surely we can trust them to understand COVID after 10 weeks of house arrest. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Three of our five monthly clubs will hold matches in June with the fourth a tentative yes and the fifth a definite no. 
 

I think by July we’ll be back full speed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2020 at 6:52 AM, Black Hills Barb said:

I was recently questioned about our announcement that we would be holding our first match of the 2020 season soon.  I was asked if we were concerned about stipulations on the number attending.  (Yes, I'm aware that there was an issue recently in another state)  I responded that I continually monitor the guidelines in place, noting that they change OFTEN.  There are also somewhat unclear.  I added this: I challenge anyone to go to a local state park or private campground over Memorial Day weekend. Stand in line at WalMart or a grocery store to buy your hot dog or hamburger rolls. I don't think the environment of any sportsman's club will ever see the kind of numbers that any one of them will see. I doubt that any one of those places will exercise the kind of caution that we will either.
 

Sounds good, but after reading Warden Calloway's post, it doesn't sound like precautions were followed by very many, if at all.  If that's how matches are being run, then I'll probably choose to sit it out a bit longer, at least until we know what's going to happen on the COVID front, a couple weeks into this re-opening.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Sounds good, but after reading Warden Calloway's post, it doesn't sound like precautions were followed by very many, if at all.  If that's how matches are being run, then I'll probably choose to sit it out a bit longer, at least until we know what's going to happen on the COVID front, a couple weeks into this re-opening.   

It sounds like the precautions that weren't followed are the same ones the CDC implies aren't needed.. 

 

The geniuses at the CDC originally said masks were not needed, maybe even counterproductive.  They also said that frequent hand washing was critical.  They're singing a different tune now.  Masks have become very important and hand washing not so much.   

 

I wonder if they ever get tired, or even a little embarrassed about being 180 degrees wrong so often. 

 

""COVID-19 spreads mainly through close contact from person to person," Haynes said. "While it may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose or possibly their eyes, this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads.....Transmission of SARS-CoV-2 to persons from surfaces contaminated with the virus has not been documented,"

 

Hey at least manufacturers of antiseptics made out like bandits, even though all that wiping and washing was for nothing.

 

I keep the Covid model death projection website open on my laptop and compare it to actual deaths each day.  I deliberately wait to refresh the page so I can see what the 'old model' projects before they 'tweak' it so it's not to far out of line with reality.

 

The model projected 1,332 deaths from Covid yesterday.  There were actually only 617, so they were off by over 100%.  Once they get a chance they'll tweak the model so that projected deaths for 5/24 will line up better with what actually happened.  Then when they're wrong again they'll tweak it again. 

 

That's like a meteorologist forecasting a sunny day on the 25th, then when it's rainy all day he goes back and changes his forecast to make it look like he predicted rain. 

 

The forecast for May 25th is 1,315.  I'm betting they're off by at least 80%.  

 

DDD, we've been 'reopened' in Georgia for over 4 weeks now.  Our 7 day rolling average of deaths is 25% lower than it was the day we reopened.  Hospitalizations are also lower.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I shot a WB match yesterday with social distancing.  It worked well.  The TO wore and mask and gave the shooter more room than normal.  Only two persons allowed at the loading table - one at each end.  Just one person at the unloading table.  One thing that was not planned but worked well was good use of the wind.  Those who needed to talk to each other stood at right angles to the wind, six feet apart.  Everyone showed much discipline.  I felt safe.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

It sounds like the precautions that weren't followed are the same ones the CDC implies aren't needed.. 

 

The geniuses at the CDC originally said masks were not needed, maybe even counterproductive.  They also said that frequent hand washing was critical.  They're singing a different tune now.  Masks have become very important and hand washing not so much.   

 

I wonder if they ever get tired, or even a little embarrassed about being 180 degrees wrong so often. 

 

""COVID-19 spreads mainly through close contact from person to person," Haynes said. "While it may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose or possibly their eyes, this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads.....Transmission of SARS-CoV-2 to persons from surfaces contaminated with the virus has not been documented,"

 

Hey at least manufacturers of antiseptics made out like bandits, even though all that wiping and washing was for nothing.

 

I keep the Covid model death projection website open on my laptop and compare it to actual deaths each day.  I deliberately wait to refresh the page so I can see what the 'old model' projects before they 'tweak' it so it's not to far out of line with reality.

 

The model projected 1,332 deaths from Covid yesterday.  There were actually only 617, so they were off by over 100%.  Once they get a chance they'll tweak the model so that projected deaths for 5/24 will line up better with what actually happened.  Then when they're wrong again they'll tweak it again. 

 

That's like a meteorologist forecasting a sunny day on the 25th, then when it's rainy all day he goes back and changes his forecast to make it look like he predicted rain. 

 

The forecast for May 25th is 1,315.  I'm betting they're off by at least 80%.  

 

DDD, we've been 'reopened' in Georgia for over 4 weeks now.  Our 7 day rolling average of deaths is 25% lower than it was the day we reopened.  Hospitalizations are also lower.

Let's hope the Georgia numbers keep improving.  But I am concerned that we will see sharp Spikes in New infection numbers after a couple weeks of re-opening in many states.  What's interesting is that in my community, it is really obvious that way more people are wearing masks after the re-opening than before.   Without the government making decisions for them, more people are owning the responsibility.  

 

As for the CDC, the mask reversal is just the tip of the iceberg.  When they started mixing politics with medicine, they began to sacrifice  credibility in both areas.  Unfortunately, in advising Trump, I think they've cost him some credibility too.   I do realize the difference between real-time responsibility and Monday morning quarterbacking, but the CDC advise on basic things like masks or treatment meds has wavered almost daily from the start of this.  The daily messaging reversals have confused the public beyond recovery, IMHO. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will refrain from getting into another COVID-19 thread that gets closed as OT, but can say from having participated at a well-attended match yesterday that the only issues I saw re proximity to each other was the TO and the unloading table. There may have been good intentions, but we were certainly closer than 6 feet in many instances. I did the unloading table in my posse and decided to wear my bandana over my face when I had a customer. Others seemed completely unconcerned, while I as a Cattle Baron was alerted about even being there with second wave concerns and how disenchanted with the whole precaution thing most seem to have become. There was no actual medical mask in sight, if that was the question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.