SASS Wire Forum

Front sight

Ranger Dan

I recently purchased an older Uberti 1873 SRC and it has a blade front sight. I would like to replace it with a brass one, can't seem to find one. Other option is just remove it and replace the front barrel band with one that has a bead sight (longhunter has those). So anyone know where to find the brass sight to fit this or should I just buy a piece of brass and shape it to fit? Or remove it and replace with a barrel band with sight? Thoughts ???

FS1.jpg

15 minutes ago, Ranger Dan said:

Where do you get such "stock"

Hobby shop? Menards or Lowe’s?  Amazon.com and do search for brass flat stock?

25 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Maybe use one of Slick McClade’s Shure Hit brass sights to cover it up?  It would be about the easiest thing to do.

http://www.slickmagicguns.com/SureHitSights.html

I've looked at those, just don't think they will fit or stay on. Unlike a marbles sight this is a flat blade, only about .6 inches thick. Think I will go with Lumpy and just make one.

Thanks

3 minutes ago, Ranger Dan said:

I've looked at those, just don't think they will fit or stay on. Unlike a marbles sight this is a flat blade, only about .6 inches thick. Think I will go with Lumpy and just make one.

Thanks

Me thinks you need a 0 in there somewhere. I don't think that sight is over half an inch thick!

3 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Me thinks you need a 0 in there somewhere. I don't think that sight is over half an inch thick!

You are correct, .06 inch.

3 hours ago, Ranger Dan said:

Where do you get such "stock"

Hardware or hobby stores usually have both sheet and wire/round rod in various sizes.  If not, it can be ordered from RioGrande. Com. 

If you put 3/16" round brass rod  in a vise and hacksaw carefully 3/4 through it lengthwise, it can usually be easily conformed over top a blade sight.  It can be glued in place with various products, but make sure they are heat tolerant.  I drilled and pinned mine to be sure it would stay in place.  After it is in place, you can file it to desired size and shape. 

20200323_152025.jpg

From the Shooter's Manual -

Sights must look like sights available during the cowboy era. Bead, blade, simple post, or otherwise approved front sights (such as the XS Cowboy Express) made of materials such as steel, iron, ivory, faux ivory, brass, gold, pewter, copper, or silver are allowed.

Colors other than those of the materials referenced above or any “fluorescent” materials may not be applied to either front or rear sights.

Rear and front sights may be “blacked,” painted, or plated in the colors of the previously listed materials. If blacking, paint, or plating is applied to a revolver front sight, it must cover the entire rear surface of the sight to give the appearance of a solid material.

4 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I thought "painting" the sight was verboten. 

Oh no!! Here we go again with another question that'll go to the ROC to see if it's legal :P  :D

1 minute ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Oh no!! Here we go again with another question that'll go to the ROC to see if it's legal :P  :D

NO NO NO NO NO!

It was just a question, I thought I read it in the SHB and had mentioned it to a pard because I was gonna do it at a monthly because I wasn't sure I was seeing my sight proper. (Dam my eyes!)

Please please please don't drag me into an ROC dispute. Please!

:lol:

54 minutes ago, Hendo said:

NO NO NO NO NO!

It was just a question, I thought I read it in the SHB and had mentioned it to a pard because I was gonna do it at a monthly because I wasn't sure I was seeing my sight proper. (Dam my eyes!)

Please please please don't drag me into an ROC dispute. Please!

:lol:

Shooters Handbook, page 36

SIGHTS

All Firearms

- Sights must look like sights available during the cowboy era. Bead, blade, simple

post, or otherwise approved front sights (such as the XS Cowboy Express) made of

materials such as steel, iron, ivory, faux ivory, brass, gold, pewter, copper, or silver

are allowed.

- Colors other than those of the materials referenced above or any “fluorescent”

materials may not be applied to either front or rear sights.

- Rear and front sights may be “blacked,” painted, or plated in the colors of the

previously listed materials. If blacking, paint, or plating is applied to a revolver

front sight, it must cover the entire rear surface of the sight to give the appearance

of a solid material.

All you have to do is go to a good hardware store and buy a piece of brass stock .060 or so thick.  Might need to buy a hand jigsaw to cut the shape and fille to your taste,  Then file the side to match the thickness of the original.  Drill a hole the same diameter as the pin.  A little work, but you just need patience.  At an alternative, you could use a nickel or a dime!

Imis Twohofon, you are a genius. I don't need no stinkin sights. Oh wait, did I forget to mention this is my wife's new rifle and she wants sights :)

2 hours ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

Take a 22 fired casing cut a piece out of it solder it on. 

Take brasso shine it up.

Be careful soldering on a blued finish rifle.  Be ready to patch the bluing afterwards. Soldering Flux is tough on bluing.  

Archived