Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fargo Bill, SASS #4942

SASS Affiliated clubs

Recommended Posts

What causes a Club to no longer be on the State offerings.  Kinda hard to know if they still shoot or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Sloughhouse Irregulars at Diamond Dick's Cowboy Town, near Sacramento, are no longer SASS affiliated as they would like to try some things that are not allowed according to SASS Rules. One thing is shooting on the move and having matches similar to W3G. They are only on fifth weekends. So, they do not have as many matches a year as do the clubs that shoot on the first through fourth weekends.  Although, I haven't heard this from the President, I would presume that making the affiliation fee would be more difficult.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Several clubs in these neck of the woods dropped their affiliation when SASS initiated a fee to be affiliated.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lone Rider, SASS# 73063 said:

Several clubs in these neck of the woods dropped their affiliation when SASS initiated a fee to be affiliated.

So they want something for nothing?

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

interesting conversation , i had not thought a lot about anything but SASS as that was all i knew , i realized there were others doing things i might not want to do - mounted shooting is one that leaps to mind , ive always liked horses - they have not always liked me , there was this girl in high school who owned a horse .......never mind , i dont think either liked me , ill walk , 

 

i used to shoot 3G and understand the moving/shooting but as i got older i migrated here to eliminate all that running and up and down stuff , as well as the conservation of ammo ive experienced , how big is the fee ? is it enough to not want the affiliation ? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$50.00 ?? big deal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$50.00 ? really , not a big deal , wonder what other things outside the rules they want to do , could they not stay in the rules for some matches and still do the other stuff without giving up the accreditation ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the rules of affiliation are on the website, I've just renewed ours, it's pretty easy and its good to have affiliation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, watab kid said:

$50.00 ? really , not a big deal , wonder what other things outside the rules they want to do , could they not stay in the rules for some matches and still do the other stuff without giving up the accreditation ? 

This.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For some clubs this may be a problem.  As some people get older they tend to drop membership in different organizations.

 

• Maintain no less than 50 % of its total membership in SASS®

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was wondering why WAS and CAS were exclusive too..

 

Local USPSA used to hold regular matches monthly, 3-gun matches on 5th Saturdays. 

 

Attendance for each one brought new shooters to the other. 

Edited by Ozark Huckleberry
Clarity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

The Sloughhouse Irregulars at Diamond Dick's Cowboy Town, near Sacramento, are no longer SASS affiliated as they would like to try some things that are not allowed according to SASS Rules. One thing is shooting on the move and having matches similar to W3G. They are only on fifth weekends. So, they do not have as many matches a year as do the clubs that shoot on the first through fourth weekends.  Although, I haven't heard this from the President, I would presume that making the affiliation fee would be more difficult.

 

5 hours ago, watab kid said:

$50.00 ? really , not a big deal , wonder what other things outside the rules they want to do , could they not stay in the rules for some matches and still do the other stuff without giving up the accreditation ? 

 

See comment above. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since our club hosts our state match, the 50% membership rule has little affect on our shooters.  Over the years, the only shooters that I have known of to not be SASS members have been new shooters. 

As for club affiliation, the biggest effect of clubs choosing to NOT be affiliated that I notice is that as the host club of our state match we must invite all SASS clubs in our state.  Most of these clubs advertise our match to their membership and some sponsor stages.  In turn, their club is advertised in our shooter booklet.  We are not reaching out to unaffiliated clubs.  We are not reaching out to their shooters.  It's not just our club that is not reaching out.  It goes much deeper than that.  Another effect is that when we work at events and expos, these clubs do not get publicized to interested parties.  Quite often, a potential new shooter backs away from joining SASS because they think that a 2 hour commute to attend a match is too far - of course later they might find how addictive the sport can be and travel time becomes less relevant.  There might actually be an unaffiliated club closer.  The promoters don't know this.  It's not listed in the Chronicle or on the website either.  It's like it does not exist at all.  Unaffiliated clubs have a direct effect on membership growth, too.  Yes, I realized that both members and non-members are shooting at these clubs and some shooters also support affiliated clubs, but this may not always be the case.  I am also aware of many shooters that only attend matches at one club, too.  I would love to see more clubs come back into the fold than leave.  It would be good for all of us.  But how can this be achieved?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some clubs only attract 3-4 shooters. They can't afford the insurance and don't feel they can meet the parameters for club affiliation. Therefore, they have chosen to opt out. It's not just the $50, there are other expenses.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

The Sloughhouse Irregulars at Diamond Dick's Cowboy Town, near Sacramento, are no longer SASS affiliated as they would like to try some things that are not allowed according to SASS Rules. One thing is shooting on the move and having matches similar to W3G. They are only on fifth weekends. So, they do not have as many matches a year as do the clubs that shoot on the first through fourth weekends.  Although, I haven't heard this from the President, I would presume that making the affiliation fee would be more difficult.

Some of you have poo pooed at my comment of the cost of affiliation being a factor. That was purely my assumption. Re-read my post.

 

You see, at DDCT, the range gets $7 of the entry fee and DDCT gets $2. Out of a $10 match fee, that leaves $1 for the club.  If they have W3G-type matches, they must buy cardboard with circles printed on it (or buy metal targets with either raised or flop-down centers) and every club that I've been to paints their targets at least once per match. Spray paint has a cost too.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our club is not SASS affiliated.   When I started shooting at what was the Manitou River Rangers they were affiliated.  They loast their range that was on private property.   The leaders looked the area over for another range. The best choice was a gun club that had a black powder range that was hardly used and an agreement was made to allow us to shoot there.  But their bylaws would not allow us to have a separate club. So...  as we would only constitute on a few percent of the total gun club membership,  we couldn't meet the 50% minimum SASS membership.   Also, there is the insurance costs.   We would be covered by the club's insurance and thus no need to buy separate insurance.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

So they want something for nothing?

 

Evidently they felt they got no worth for their check?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are a shooting discipline of the main gun club.  As such, we do not have our own treasury or insurance.  The posse in itself is it's own entity and over 50% of the posse are SASS members.  The gun club enrollment is not counted as part of the cowboy shooters.  While some cowboys are also members of the main club, it's is not required to have club membership to attend a cowboy shoot.  The fees collected (as well as bills received) from each match and the state match are turned in to the main club.  We estimate our income and expenditures and submit a budget annually.  Expenses outside of those budgeted require club approval.  All in all, it's a good method and works well for both the cowboys and the main club.  They also have other shooting sports - bunker trap, sporting clays, trap, skeet, archery, etc.  We have a dedicated range and no other discipline affects our matches.  
I can see how these small free standing clubs on their own private range cannot afford the affiliation fees.  There are not private ranges near us.  All the posses we shoot with are on gun club property.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are some very valid reasons why clubs choose not to be affiliated. SASS is a great organization, but it can be limiting as far as rules go. Chabot the club I started at had rifle targets at 40-50 yards constructed of 3" angle iron, pistol targets at 5-30 yards, KD pistol targets at 15-25 yards, stoked 97's, big bore optional stages, elevator weight knock downs that required a big bore or a very hot 45LC load.. The range has closed and the last match was on Labor day of 2016, it was a  3 stage match with 198 rounds!! SASS wouldn't sanction this type of shooting. In the case of Slougghouse Illregulars, only a few of the stages are written each month that allow movement, however movement is not required. Everything can be shot without movement. 

 

This type of shooting helps with SASS or any other shooting sport folks like to enjoy. Chabot required accuracy and endurance, how many SASS matches require that? SI offers an individual to go beyond their comfort zone and develop a skill that many SASS shooters aren't familiar with.

 

I'm sure there are more reasons not to be affiliated, but the above two clubs are the only ones I have experience with.

 

Tully

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Tully Mars said:

There are some very valid reasons why clubs choose not to be affiliated. SASS is a great organization, but it can be limiting as far as rules go. Chabot the club I started at had rifle targets at 40-50 yards constructed of 3" angle iron, pistol targets at 5-30 yards, KD pistol targets at 15-25 yards, stoked 97's, big bore optional stages, elevator weight knock downs that required a big bore or a very hot 45LC load.. The range has closed and the last match was on Labor day of 2016, it was a  3 stage match with 198 rounds!! SASS wouldn't sanction this type of shooting. In the case of Slougghouse Illregulars, only a few of the stages are written each month that allow movement, however movement is not required. Everything can be shot without movement. 

 

This type of shooting helps with SASS or any other shooting sport folks like to enjoy. Chabot required accuracy and endurance, how many SASS matches require that? SI offers an individual to go beyond their comfort zone and develop a skill that many SASS shooters aren't familiar with.

 

I'm sure there are more reasons not to be affiliated, but the above two clubs are the only ones I have experience with.

 

Tully

 

 

Well said, Tully. Man I really miss Chabot. You just never knew what to expect or what crazy stuff Rowdy would come up with. I remember one shoot I brought a new rifle that I hadn't sighted in yet. I got 15 misses on the first stage. And I hit half the targets. Yeah that stage had 30 rifle shots. Another time, that elevator weight stage had those giant buffaloes for 10 second bonuses. I ended that stage with a negative 13 seconds haha. I need to get up there one day and shoot with the Sloughhouse Irregulars to see what kind of stuff they have come up with. Variety is the spice of life they say.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are reasons, posted on this thread, why a club may not be able to be SASS-Affiliated, or does not wish to follow SASS rules and guidelines.  But, I also know of many clubs that follow SASS rules at matches and could easily be SASS-Affiliated if they wished to.  Those that do not are "shooting themselves in the foot."   On other threads people are complaining about not enough exposure and advertising, but these clubs are ignoring the primary place new shooters turn to find where to shoot!  

 

I have several social media sites where we are constantly asked, "where can I go see a match?"  Outside of my State, I don't know where the unaffiliated clubs are.  I can only point them towards the listed clubs.  Basically, I'm saying if you are not on the SASS-Affiliated listings, many folks will have a hard time finding you.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

50 bucks is worth being listed so new shooters can find you and you can shoot the match any way you want.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Well said, Tully. Man I really miss Chabot. You just never knew what to expect or what crazy stuff Rowdy would come up with. I remember one shoot I brought a new rifle that I hadn't sighted in yet. I got 15 misses on the first stage. And I hit half the targets. Yeah that stage had 30 rifle shots. Another time, that elevator weight stage had those giant buffaloes for 10 second bonuses. I ended that stage with a negative 13 seconds haha. I need to get up there one day and shoot with the Sloughhouse Irregulars to see what kind of stuff they have come up with. Variety is the spice of life they say.

I was top cowgirl at their annual once with 14 misses on my first stage.

 

I still have fond memories of Chabot. :o 

 

They had matches every other month and we went to almost every one. Yes, variety is B) 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PS Lash La Rue's wife Shotgun Lil (Becky) called winning Cowgirl of the year, which I won (at least once), an endurance award. Yep! It was!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Ps Do not ever put down folks shooting and having fond memories. It is all supportive of the sport you favor.

 

This^^^!

 

Wild Bunch does not appeal to me but you will never hear me say anything bad about it.  It helps all of us when shooters can have fun with their guns!!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

So they want something for nothing?

 

What does a small club get from SASS other than the Hand Books and the listing?

 

Initially SASS charged $100.00 to be affiliated, but has since lowered that to $50.00.

 

I personally started a small club and paid all of the expenses out of my pocket.  I provided the targets, tables, score sheets, brochures, etc.  SASS had advertised that the club would get promotional materials, a flag, and the listing.   We did get a listing eventually after a couple of corrections.

 

A club has to have a Territorial Governor that will claim the club, a certain amount of insurance, funds to pay the local or sponsor, etc. 

 

There are several nonaffiliated clubs that are doing just fine.  Most of the members do not attend large matches and are happy just shooting locally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lone Rider, SASS# 73063 said:

 

What does a small club get from SASS other than the Hand Books and the listing?

 

Initially SASS charged $100.00 to be affiliated, but has since lowered that to $50.00.

 

I personally started a small club and paid all of the expenses out of my pocket.  I provided the targets, tables, score sheets, brochures, etc.  SASS had advertised that the club would get promotional materials, a flag, and the listing.   We did get a listing eventually after a couple of corrections.

 

A club has to have a Territorial Governor that will claim the club, a certain amount of insurance, funds to pay the local or sponsor, etc. 

 

There are several nonaffiliated clubs that are doing just fine.  Most of the members do not attend large matches and are happy just shooting locally.

Does the non affiliated clubs carry liability insurance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We do through another club.

 

That is a decision each club has to make.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Lone Rider, SASS# 73063 said:

 

What does a small club get from SASS other than the Hand Books and the listing?

 

Initially SASS charged $100.00 to be affiliated, but has since lowered that to $50.00.

 

I personally started a small club and paid all of the expenses out of my pocket.  I provided the targets, tables, score sheets, brochures, etc.  SASS had advertised that the club would get promotional materials, a flag, and the listing.   We did get a listing eventually after a couple of corrections.

 

A club has to have a Territorial Governor that will claim the club, a certain amount of insurance, funds to pay the local or sponsor, etc. 

 

There are several nonaffiliated clubs that are doing just fine.  Most of the members do not attend large matches and are happy just shooting locally.

And yet, yer on here...the SASS Wire.

 

Gotta love the Takers of the world.

 

Phantom

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

And yet, yer on here...the SASS Wire.

 

Gotta love the Takers of the world.

 

Phantom

That is the way I feel about a lot of the regular posters here that are not members.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cheatin Charlie said:

That is the way I feel about a lot of the regular posters here that are not members.

Well then change the rules of the Wire.

 

Some can't shoot anymore ... So you say to hell with them?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Well then change the rules of the Wire.

 

Some can't shoot anymore ... So you say to hell with them?

 

 

Just repeating your logic back at you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cheatin Charlie said:

Just repeating your logic back at you.

Cool, let's get into a Logic argument.

 

So you're equating someone who is an active SASS shooter willing to take advantage of SASS benifits without wanting to contribute to the organisation, to an unknown entity doing the same.

 

Do I understand your position correctly?

 

Phantom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.