SASS Wire Forum

The worst taste you have ever experienced.

I barely recall as a child being fed Gerber Baby Food and especially the green ones with the foul taste.

5ada0df8a7282_Babyandgreens.thumb.jpg.2854df2792bb380d9108cef5fcf1f016.jpg

Growing up and having the ability to choose your foods, I tended to stay away from those that I assumed I didn't like or had a bad experience with trying them.

Cauliflower :angry:, Brussel Sprouts :blink:, Collard Greens :(, cooked spinach :o, etc. You get the picture.

And although my taste buds never took to them, there have also been medicines that had a nasty taste to them as well.

In particular is the drink one is required to take before having a colonoscopy.

I believe its called Magnesium Citrate. Yuck!!

So for me, this is the worst taste I have ever experienced in my life so far.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The most recent was those salted prunes that they sell in the convenience stores now.

Turnip greens and brussel sprouts are high up on the list from my younger days.

When I grew up on a small farm and a few dairy cows to supplement.   In the spring when the cows were first turned out to green pasture the milk would get a nasty green tint and equally nasty taste.  Have barely drank a glass of milk in the last 60 years.  GW

C ration Ham and Lima Beans.

Howdy,

In hospital I had a defencicy might have been potassium.

They gave me something that tasted like salt on fire.

The nurse had a container of apple juice which was wonderful at

putting out the 'fire'.

After that I had to have apple juice IN HAND before I took that stuff.

Best

CR

next worse chili pepper.

My mother was a pretty good cook but there were some dishes that she experimented with because we had a couple of mule deer and elk to eat over the winters when I was growing up in Creede, Colorado. One dish she tried one time called for cloves in the recipe, mincemeat pie. It was so bad that to this day 54 years later I cannot stand cloves or mincemeat. She turned around a little while later and tried the same pie thing with green tomatoes and it didn’t work either.

In our kitchen is an identical pair of small Chinese jars. One is used to store sugar for our tea and stays on the kitchen counter.  My wife keeps salt in the other for her stir-fry cooking and leaves it next to the stove. Well, guess what happened one day? They got switched, and I went and poured two spoons of what I assumed was sugar in my tea. I spat it out so fast I think I sandblasted the paint on the wall.

Whiskey Business and Sixgun Sheridan nailed it for me. I have eaten some bad tasting meals so as not to offend, but liver? I despise and hate the taste of it. Mutton too! At least mutton won’t make me want to upchuck.

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

C ration Ham and Lima Beans.

Now that just goes to show you that this meal was not appreciated.  I used to trade for it.  Still like Lima beans and ham.

STL Suomi

We used to have a miniature schnauzer, Smokey that was a very picky eater. My wife would try different things to get her to eat her breakfast, she called it and at one time resorted to buying sauces for the dog food. One day we had left over pulled pork and for lunch I made up a pulled pork sandwich. Well I sat down to eat it and it tasted a little strange but I didn’t want to waste it so I ate the whole thing. Little did I know, but the squeeze bottle of “BBQ” sauce was sauce for the dog food. I had left my glasses out in the shop when I fixed lunch and couldn’t see the little jumping dog at the top of the label, I thought that was a pig. My wife still gets a pretty good laugh out of that one whenever she sees me using a squeeze bottle of bbq sauce. 

1 hour ago, Whiskey Business said:

Liver, hands down. "Just take a bite, it's good for you." 

That is the only bite I've EVER had of liver.

57 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Liver literally makes me gag the moment it touches my tongue. I can't even swallow it.

49 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Whiskey Business and Sixgun Sheridan nailed it for me. I have eaten some bad tasting meals so as not to offend, but liver? I despise and hate the taste of it. Mutton too! At least mutton won’t make me want to upchuck.

Y'all don't know what you are missing.

Just for you I present:

Beef Liver with grilled onions. 5ada3d40ef1e5_Salivating-Emoji-RESIZED.jpg.7acbd5ce3792238525d94995a7ad0ed4.jpg

5ada3cbaf3e2f_BeefLiverOnions.jpg.4d928af239cc2ba055ad1bd343a649e9.jpg

Fried Chicken Livers with Crème of Mushroom sauce

& Bacon over rice. 5ada3d897a492_ThumbsUp-EmojiFINAL.jpg.4e49329801023d2538b7de30c5bb0066.jpg

5ada3cc2563f7_ChickenLiverswithCremeofMushroomandBaconoverrice.JPG.2f278ad9a5595723a1c5d90a95b86c19.JPG

And I will remind y'all next month on May 10th which is:

5ada3cc99b54b_NationalLiverOnionsDay-May10th.thumb.jpg.eaed4bb92d5933b8164bf6ccbfcb1e9d.jpg    :P:D

IMO's pizza.  Lot's of folks in St. Louis love it.  Both my wife and I think it's the most gawdawful, so-called food, either of us have ever had the displeasure of putting into our mouths.  I tried it once many, many years ago when there was an IMO's about two blocks from our apartment.  Mind you it didn't taste rancid.  I've had rancid food that was much better, it was just horrible.  About 15 years and 30 miles from that incident a friend of ours ordered IMO's  pizza for a kid's birthday party.  I figured "what the heck, it's been a while" and I tried it again.  It was every bit as nasty as the first time I tried it.

I despise liver and won't eat seafood, but I'll take either before I ever touch an IMO's pizza again.  Hell, if I were on a deserted island that could get IMO's pizza delivered I'd spend my time turning over rocks and logs looking for bugs.

In case I left any doubt, I'm not a fan of IMO's pizza.

Angus

4 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Y'all don't know what you are missing.

Just for you I present:

Beef Liver with grilled onions. 5ada3d40ef1e5_Salivating-Emoji-RESIZED.jpg.7acbd5ce3792238525d94995a7ad0ed4.jpg

image.png.80055707634ba033b536ecd42b4a6f2d.png

2 minutes ago, Whiskey Business said:

You are evil.

Whiskey:

I do have a good, gentle side. :blush:

Roasted Brussel Sprouts

5ada3fbe6b648_roastedbrusselsprouts.jpg.98a3a1432dc260e53df8848aa13af84e.jpg

Roasted Cauliflower and Broccoli

5ada3fd8f1218_roastedcauliflower.jpg.2fe24dfd04eed99ba76a1269da94f036.jpg

Mustard Greens

5ada4011bf3a6_mustardgreens.jpg.3e79f04dc64aaa7b57a2129681b9ed56.jpg

When I was in grade school a million years ago, we had Home Economics as a required class.  One of the quick and easy meals they taught us to make was a pizza made from an English muffin, spread with tomato soup, and Velveeta cheese - Viola - Imo's PIZZA.  It was horrid then and it is still horrid. Yuck-OOOO  Dominics come close however to really terrible Pizza.

STL Suomi

if anyone from the villiage of Nuiqsut offers you a dish called Stink Heads, you would do well to politely decline. Or decline not so politely, just be sure and make it clear that you will not be eating.

Trust me on this..... 

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

2. A special edition Christmas ale.  Think of wool sweat socks worn every day for a month and then left t ferment for aweek.

Sounds like a brett (brettanomyces, a wild yeast) contamination. I had a batch of plum wine go off from it. It smells like rancid sweat socks and Band-aids.

The worst thing I've ever tasted is Buckley's cough syrup. I thought terpin hydrate elixer tasted bad, but Buckley's has it beat.

The worst "food" item I've ever tasted was shredded dried squid given to me by a Taiwanese co-worker. It looked and smelled like cedar shavings from the bottom of a guinea pig cage. Used shavings that had been left stewing in their own juices for a week.

My mother was a great cook.  She even took night school classes in baking; so, we always had treats in the house.  However, she frequently severed liver from mature cows.  Hated the stuff for besides tasting like rust it was like chewing on a shoe.  While in the Army 4-69 through 11-71 I tried calves liver and onions; which I liked.   Between my mother & maternal grandmother I frequently was exposed to creamed vegetables.  Hate'em!! Gage worthy!  The secret to preparing a stink vegetable like brussel sprouts is roasting or smothering them in cheese sauce made with real sharp cheddar cheese.  I liked ham & lima beans C rat's only if heated.  That is why I smuggled a Coleman 1 burner stove to Germany for the Reforger exercise in 1971.  The stove was packed in an aluminum container that doubled as a pot & fry pan.   Tried the SOS that was on the breakfast menu in almost every mess hall.  It wasn't tasty enough to overcome what it looked like, contents of an infant's poopy diaper.   I don't like anything that the primary ingredient is blood.

22 minutes ago, Sparky Nelson said:

The worst "food" item I've ever tasted was shredded dried squid given to me by a Taiwanese co-worker. It looked and smelled like cedar shavings from the bottom of a guinea pig cage. Used shavings that had been left stewing in their own juices for a week.

I actually grew fond of it - takes a little while, but it is possible.  Most of my friends won't even get past the aroma!  A chinese wife can open the door to many new and exciting tastes - some smell horrid, but taste great - some just the opposite.

STL Suomi

Archived