SASS Wire Forum

How many locks?

Randingo

Got into a heated discussion today about gun safety.   Many of my colleagues know that I shoot and there for have guns.  One suggested that I should surrender them to the police before they are stolen and used for violence.   I explained that my guns are very secure.  She asked "What type of lock I used?"  After thinking about it for a minute I realized there are 9 locks between me and those guns.  Two metal doors all with locking knobs and dead bolts. One of which has a homemade jail cell door in front of it(was bored one day).  The gun room door is solid steel within a solid steel frame, two more locks.  The safe it's self has two more.  All but two of my guns live there.  Those two you will have to pry out of my cold dead fingers!!

How many locks protect your guns?

Locked house, monitored alarm in the main dwelling.

Purpose built gun/re-loading room, reinforced walls, steel door, protected with a separate monitored alarm.

Inside the gun room, firearms are stored inside a locked steel cabinet.

Each firearm has a trigger lock.

I live in Canada where storage laws are quite strict.

2 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Locked house, monitored alarm in the main dwelling.

Purpose built gun/re-loading room, reinforced walls, steel door, protected with a separate monitored alarm.

Inside the gun room, firearms are stored inside a locked steel cabinet.

Each firearm has a trigger lock.

I live in Canada where storage laws are quite strict.

I lost two points on the PAL tests for neglecting to mention locking the front door when returning home with firearms.

<_<

Do you have a Canadian Possession and Acquisition Licence Pale Wolf?

Just 3 for me.....but one of them is the gun safe itself.

It would be easier to steal from Walmart because they only have ONE itty-bitty lock on a glass door and unlike my house, theirs is not protected by an armed owner..... ;)

..........Widder

When i was a kid,  we didn't even have a lock on the door of the house. Keys were left in the ignition switch of the car and truck. (In fact,  the old Chevys, you could unlock the ignition and pull out the key and do without a key.)  But there was a loaded 12 gauge Stevens 5110 leaning behind the kitchen door. 

Right now I have a Mossberg 500 stoked full of 00 buck leaning against the wall next to the unlocked patio door - just in case a coyote cuts across the pasture.

13 hours ago, Randingo said:

Got into a heated discussion today about gun safety.   Many of my colleagues know that I shoot and there for have guns.  One suggested that I should surrender them to the police before they are stolen and used for violence.   I explained that my guns are very secure.  She asked "What type of lock I used?"  After thinking about it for a minute I realized there are 9 locks between me and those guns.  Two metal doors all with locking knobs and dead bolts. One of which has a homemade jail cell door in front of it(was bored one day).  The gun room door is solid steel within a solid steel frame, two more locks.  The safe it's self has two more.  All but two of my guns live there.  Those two you will have to pry out of my cold dead fingers!!

How many locks protect your guns?

The one that suggested you turn your guns in would have gotten a middle finger from me and I would have walked away!

11 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The one that suggested you turn your guns in would have gotten a middle finger from me and I would have walked away!

Ha!  Yup, I use sign language when needed!!  But I wanted her to know that I am a responsible gun owner.  Not only do I value my right to keep guns but my responsibility to keep those  guns secure from theft or misuse.   If we demonstrate that we are responsible and educate others as to how we maintain that responsibility, we will be better for it.  I can't change her views, thoughts or understanding but I do not wish to make them worse.

3 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Do you have a Canadian Possession and Acquisition Licence Pale Wolf?

Took the classes & tests.

Unforeseen circumstances interfered with completion of the process. 

Just my opinion.   Keeping guns behind locked steel doors in locked vaults with trigger locks puts you at more risk of a breakin or home invasion than having no guns.  They are useless for defending your home, property,  family or yourself.  But yet they make an attractive and valuable items for theft.  

2 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Just my opinion.   Keeping guns behind locked steel doors in locked vaults with trigger locks puts you at more risk of a breakin or home invasion than having no guns.  They are useless for defending your home, property,  family or yourself.  But yet they make an attractive and valuable items for theft.  

Do you lock your car door? :rolleyes:

OLG

43 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Wife and I have our EDC with in reach 99% of the time.  Have other security measures as well.

Let's see... I have to give up my right because someone, probably with a long record, might commit a number of felonies. I had friends like that once too. 

I lock my house and have a security system with all Points of entry covered. I store all but my two personal protection firearms in a steel safe. I do not feel the need to trigger lock my firearms in my safe. If you can get in there, the trigger lock is easier. 

I am protecting against smash and grab. If you want to be a serious theif,  you can cut into any commercial gun safe with a cutting wheel in a minute or two. Home invasion, it can happen but I don't worry too much about that.  Lightning scares me more. 

It only takes a few minutes more to defeat better safes.  Maybe a grinder, drill, or cutting torch to get in even the strongest safes.   Bolting them to a wall and better yet to a corner wall helps as they can't get them on the floor.  

Feed store in town in Missouri had their safe stolen.  The bad guys backed up to the outside wall it was bolted to and took a chainsaw and cut around the safe and pulled it out.  They found the safe in a ditch in West Virginia a week later. 

Your point is what? That safes ain't safe? :huh:

Safes are not fool proof. On the other hand-99% of home burglars have neither the brains or the time to try and open one.

As an former LEO, I've lost count of how many home burglary calls I rolled on, and while other property was taken. The safe did it's job.

The last thing I ever want is someone injured with a firearm stolen from me, when I know damn good and well the security of that weapon, is MY responsibility.

A good gun safe, is CHEAP insurance...........

BTW: The so-called 'safe' in that video, was a joke! :rolleyes:

OLG

It took a commercial safe guy over 8 hours and all of his drill bits to drill out one of my commercial quality gun safes when it fried its lock during the move to the new house.  Besides the fact that we are home most of the time, I also have an alarm system for when we're gone.  Most of the guns are stored in one of the safes except for the ones strategically hidden throughout the house or the SxS shotgun next to my bed.

2 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Maybe a grinder, drill, or cutting torch to get in even the strongest safes.   Bolting them to a wall and better yet to a corner wall helps as they can't get them on the floor.  

True, if a thief has the time and equipment he can steal just about anything.  The point here is that responsible gun owners do there best to keep that from happening.

Someone with intent, who knows what you have and where you keep it, can easily defeat a safe with common tools. I don’t keep my heavy tools near my safes so they’ll have to come prepared or kill time hunting for mine. Most break-ins that I read about in my neck of the woods are crimes of opportunity, not crimes of strategy. Towards that end I throw up multiple layers to slow down any overachieving underachievers who might come looking for an easy target. Those layers include redundant locks on each exterior door, multiple locks on the steel door to my cowboy laboratory, safes bolted to the floor in the laboratory, an externally monitored alarm with many sensors including door and window monitors, motion detectors and glass breaks, two loud dogs, one especially nosy neighbor across the street and attentive neighbors on multiple sides who work from home. I might not stop ‘em if they feel lucky but I sure as snot am gonna slow ‘em down before they get to what’s dear. Also, I only ever load guns into vehicles in the garage with the door down. None of my suburban neighbors know I’m a shooter. That’s a big part of home security, not telegraphing what you’ve got.

5 minutes ago, Lead Friend, SASS #53635 said:

hat’s a big part of home security, not telegraphing what you’ve got.

And that's why I don't have NRA,  SASS or any other stickers on our truck. 

We always lectured the kids not to tell people about the guns we have.  We only tell a couple of people where and when we're leaving and when we expect to get back.  One is the neighbor next up our drive.  He has cameras that can pick up traffic on our drive.  The other is some farmer brothers who check their cattle every day and can at least spot something suspicious going on.  

We also have active cameras around the property and several dead cameras in conspicuous locations. 

ive got individual locks for everything , i have household locks and gunroom locks and alarms , and my cowboy uns are in locked travel cases inside locked gunroom , i lock my car when i have a gun in it [even when i dont] and in the end nothing stops the criminal , that is the only gun offender in reality , i bought mine legally , i do everything legal , they dont - i loose when they pass gun laws the criminals pay a little more maybe , but they have theirs , 

I don't know what brand of safe is used in the video, but I know that video is a great way for a safe manufacturer to tout his safe by showing how ineffective the competition safe is.

..........Widder

21 hours ago, Randingo said:

Ha!  Yup, I use sign language when needed!!  But I wanted her to know that I am a responsible gun owner.  Not only do I value my right to keep guns but my responsibility to keep those  guns secure from theft or misuse.   If we demonstrate that we are responsible and educate others as to how we maintain that responsibility, we will be better for it.  I can't change her views, thoughts or understanding but I do not wish to make them worse.

I am sorry but I would tell her to go pack sand right off the bat. If someone gets into your house and is determined enough with the time they will get your guns. The guns are not the problem the people taking them and using them for evil is the problem and sorry to say this but it will never change. 

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:33 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Rye dear, you will give that person a never-changing bad opinion of gun owners.

23 hours ago, Randingo said:

Bravo Randingo! Never stoop to the level of the haters.

I don't have a real expensive safe, but I doubt it could be pried that easy with 4 hardened bolts on each side and 2 top and bottom. Plus getting it unbolted from the wall & floor and removal of the wall that hides it first. If they try a grinder or torch they get to listen to the smoke alarm that is installed above it that sets off all the others in the house. Back to the OP== 3 locks plus the outside door lock for a total of 4. If I'm home the locks on some of my guns, as in the the percussion ones on the wall !! I figger the average butt head wouldn't expect them to be loaded or know enough to remove the cushion over the cap.

I would gladly pick up anything from someone on a guilt trip and wanting to divest of any evil critters. I might even sell or maybe even give away some of mine, but I would never give any to law enforcement.  They got enough of their own, especially atf and fbi.

PF

Techically only two locks besides the safe itself, however  once in the house you would have to find the safe!  Carefully concealed room just large enough to hide the safe which is inset so you can not swing a Pry bar. Safe bolted to concrete floor. I have had several friends both contractor types and LEO and no one has found it yet, or even come close for that matter! 

19 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I don't have a real expensive safe, but I doubt it could be pried that easy with 4 hardened bolts on each side and 2 top and bottom. Plus getting it unbolted from the wall & floor and removal of the wall that hides it first. If they try a grinder or torch they get to listen to the smoke alarm that is installed above it that sets off all the others in the house. Back to the OP== 3 locks plus the outside door lock for a total of 4. If I'm home the locks on some of my guns, as in the the percussion ones on the wall !! I figger the average butt head wouldn't expect them to be loaded or know enough to remove the cushion over the cap.

In Canada, that might not save you from facing charges, as a fellow up here discovered.

Thieves broke in and took three (3) days to open his safe.

HE was charged with unsafe storage.

Be glad you have the NRA..

Archived