SASS Wire Forum

Does anybody else do this? Open a can without alerting the pets?

I used to have a Guinea Pig who would squeal to high heaven if he heard the refrigerator open/

Any kitchen sound in my House brings the dog.

Book, the Maine Coon mix, has never tasted canned food.  But if he smells pastrami or turkey or cheese he becomes a nuisance.

Or bacon.

My cats will come running when the hear a pull tab can being opened or if they hear the drawer in the fridge being opened. We keep the cheeses and lunch meat in the drawer. Our dog Maddie comes whenever she hears plastic rattling or if she smells salmon or beef jerky. 

If I open an ice cream carton our cat Munch makes it down the hall and into the kitchen in a flash. He loves his ice cream. 

My kitties are angels. :lol: 

Only one knows and loves the sound of a can opening (it is a pop lid). It is only in the morning though. He seems to know that alerting to other cans opening will not get him anything.

My dog never got anything other than dry food and plate lickin's (usually eggs or ice cream). He was really an angel. :wub:

I guess I should not complain about Book liking bacon.  Even vegetarians are a nuisance around bacon.  No wonder it’s called the “gateway meat”!!:D

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2011/02/02/133304206/why-bacon-is-a-gateway-to-meat-for-vegetarians

My cats got the boot if they did that. If not then they got stepped on. They learned to move, get kicked, or get crushed. Then again they were outside cats only. I never let them inside unless the weather was simply too bad. I'm very allergic to cats and it normally takes me 4-5 days to get over being around one. Dogs don't bother me so they can come in if they want. I may also be biased toward dogs so......

My dogs sit off to the side and wait patiently. My female border collie dances when I go to place their dishes down.

4 hours ago, Dorado said:

My cats got the boot if they did that. If not then they got stepped on. They learned to move, get kicked, or get crushed. Then again they were outside cats only. I never let them inside unless the weather was simply too bad. I'm very allergic to cats and it normally takes me 4-5 days to get over being around one. Dogs don't bother me so they can come in if they want. I may also be biased toward dogs so......

My dogs sit off to the side and wait patiently. My female border collie dances when I go to place their dishes down.

the more I learn about the human race, the more I love my cats . . .

6 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

the more I learn about the human race, the more I love my cats . . .

It's not a mean thing. Last cat I had loved to wrap around my legs. I was carrying a big box of car parts and she wanted attention. I accidentally stepped on her. 190lb me + 100lbs of parts doesn't bode well for small animals under foot. Also had cats get kicked or stepped on by horses, bitten by snakes, eaten by coyotes or hawks, run over, and one that taught me to check under my hood in the winter before starting. Cats don't last long if they can't figure out how to not be in the way. I have had cats that lasted a decade. They knew to leave us alone when we're busy and to avoid large dangerous things of all sorts.

14 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Book, the Maine Coon mix, has never tasted canned food.  But if he smells pastrami or turkey or cheese he becomes a nuisance.

Or bacon.

If you like cats, this is one you want to meet.  Self taught retriever, plays fetch with his staff.  He loves plastic rings off of milk cartons.  He will put his foot thru the ring and hold it up so that it is easy for you to get and then throw it for him. He's really special.

Just can't be quiet enough in the kitchen. Opening a can in the other room does not eliminate the smell that travels faster than a speeding bullet. You can't open a cheese wrapper slow or quiet enough to fool the sleeping dog.

Nope the cats and dog know better.  However if I want an Oreo i have to hide in the canning room in the basement or my wife will magically appear

Archived