SASS Wire Forum

‘73 sticking carrier?

Shooting Bull

Before I tear this puppy apart I’d like to try to figure out what to look for. Either opening the action (carrier up) or closing the action (carrier down) the carrier sticks. I have to force the lever  the last little bit into the open or closed position. It’s not like it takes both hands, but it is definitely a problem. Does she just need a good cleaning or did I break another gun? :(

Look for a burr.  Measure your carrier, fore & aft, top and bottom, then measure your mortise in those same spots.  Make sure your springs (lever & carrier return) are not interfering with the carrier lifter bar.  Check the spring cover (loading gate) for proper clearance.

Yep, you mighta broke another gun.  

First clean it, and while doing that look for burs or galling on the carrier and the frame. Make sure when you take the carrier out that it will slide freely through the frame unassisted.

I had one carrier that was bent (swelled out) at the top. I put it in a vice and carefully squeezed it back together. I also sanded both sides evenly to get a couple more thousandths clearance between the frame and all four sides of the carrier.

could be one of the screws on the bottem of the receiver that secure the springs is not tight.  or one of the leef springs is getting weak.

Check for the famous broken tab,   They bend instead of break sometimes.   Gives the same symtoms you mentioned    GE

I will bet it is not the carrier but a bent bolt tab. Remove the carrier insert the lifter arm, links and link pin and cycle.

I found my lever/carrier springs screw loose allowing the spring to move around.  Those are the two screws on the bottom of the receiver.  But, you may want to take it apart and check for wear on the lever anyhow..

Clean it first. I have that problem with my '66 and my '73, if I don't clean it occasionally.

Same problems have occurred with other pards, so I now carry some spray cleaner, just to flush things out.

If it only occurs as you begin to move the bolt forward after the bolt was in the fully retracted position OR as the bolt is almost completely in the receiver (nearly fully retracted and "sticks"), my money would be the tab has been bent down. I have had one rifle in particular that has done this a couple of times, have had the timing checked by two "name smiths", replaced the short stroke from one brand to another and this weekend it is starting to feel like it is bent again:blink:

Best of luck taking care of it and if you find a solution let me know.

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Easiest solution is to buy another race ready rifle. Now that it has issues you'll never trust it again, the sticking problem will always be in the back of your mind. :)

Take it apart, clean it up, reassemble it, check it out. Then send it to me, I will keep it and take care of it :lol:

has the OP been back to this thread since we gave him all the possible fixes for his problem?

2 hours ago, Nickel City Dude said:

has the OP been back to this thread since we gave him all the possible fixes for his problem?

Nope. :P

I had just enough time to start this thread before life interfered.  Hopefully I'll be able to pop off the side plates and take a peek inside tonight when I get home from work...........late. :(

To those saying get a second rifle, this IS my second rifle. I need to be able to count on it if my primary gives out. To Mad Dog Jack, you know I love you man.  But not THAT much. :lol:

Clean it?  CLEAN IT???  Winter Range is about a month away and you want me to clean my rifle?  Sheesh, the nerve of some people. :lol:

SB, many rifles weren't fitted up with clearance between the bolt and carrier. I don't know if this is your problem because I can't see your rifle from here. Check sides of bolt for rub marks from carrier, and also look at the inside of carrier.  If it's rubbing a little,  you can file the sides of the bolt down a few thousandths, till you have clearance. Again, common problem that's overlooked at times. Don't know it this is your trouble, but it only takes a minute to check. Good luck, Lunger

UPDATE: Preliminary investigation points toward a faulty loading gate tab.

Note to anyone who experiences this in the future: If you try to straighten a bent one-piece loading gate you end up with a two piece loading gate.   :(

New one on order.    ;)

2 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

UPDATE: Preliminary investigation points toward a faulty loading gate tab.

Note to anyone who experiences this in the future: If you try to straighten a bent one-piece loading gate you end up with a two piece loading gate.   :(

New one on order.    ;)

YOU, should order at least 2. :P

OLG

5 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Something tells me Track of the Wolf sales a loading gate with stronger tab. 

I think that is for the '66.  The '73 style rarely has a problem.

Reinforcing the 73 loading gate is usual approach to making sure the SECOND gate doesn't break.   Clean up the 90 degree angle on the corner between the gate's arm and the tab,  apply JB Weld steel-reinforced epoxy and smooth into a fillet (fill in the corner and leave 1/4" thick epoxy in the center of bend).  Let cure and test fit to make sure nothing hangs up.   That tab takes impact from cartridges popping out of mag tube onto carrier, and will last almost forever if properly reinforced.

The 66 gate has an even weaker tab and HAS to be reinforced or it breaks in the first few hundred rounds fired.

Good luck, GJ

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 4:43 PM, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Reinforcing the 73 loading gate is usual approach to making sure the SECOND gate doesn't break.   Clean up the 90 degree angle on the corner between the gate's arm and the tab,  apply JB Weld steel-reinforced epoxy and smooth into a fillet (fill in the corner and leave 1/4" thick epoxy in the center of bend).  Let cure and test fit to make sure nothing hangs up.   That tab takes impact from cartridges popping out of mag tube onto carrier, and will last almost forever if properly reinforced.

The 66 gate has an even weaker tab and HAS to be reinforced or it breaks in the first few hundred rounds fired.

Good luck, GJ

Not sure why I didn't see this post earlier.  Thanks GJ.  I just happen to have some JB Weld in the cabinet where I keep my gun cleaning supplies.(Don't ask why it's there. :( )

3 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Not sure why I didn't see this post earlier.  Thanks GJ.  I just happen to have some JB Weld in the cabinet where I keep my gun cleaning supplies.(Don't ask why it's there. :( )

Just like duct tape, JBWeld should be in every tool box! :P:D

Archived