SASS Wire Forum

The things you hear at a Gun Store...

Pat Riot

14 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I don't think that stupid people with fabric could hurt somebody.:o

14 hours ago, Calico Mary said:

fabric no, but with scissors and other sharp objects it is possible....

Never RUN with scissors, children.

C.J.,  stupid people can do amazing things with the simplest situations.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

Everybody knows that when you want a rifle to shoot further, you got to pull the trigger harder..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

..........Widder

Dang, I've been doing it wrong all these years. I've just bee loading it up with bigger bullets to get it to shoot farther. Of course, that experimentation has been limited in it's result. 

39 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Bought many 'toys' from B&B. Good folks to deal with. 

Sad the HMFIC of B&B couldn't handle his $$$$ better than he did.

Was in the Turners in Torrance, 1 time just after it opened-The arrogant SOB behind the counter made a rude remark to my then wife. Didn't like the fact I drug his arse over the counter to confront him..........After PD arrived, and talked to witnesses. The officer in charge told the clerk, he would have done the same thing ....... I was later told that store mgt. took no action against that clerk.  That outfit will never see a penny from me.

OLG

I liked B&B as well. The one in Westminster was great. The one in HW was okay. That was where I bought my Colt Combat Gov't in 1983.

I had heard the owner of B&B had lots of issues and a bitter divorce that took lots of his money. He had some other legal issues as well but I know none of this for a fact. It was all hearsay.

I agree, the Turner's in Torrance was full of buttheads. But then I am biased. I hated the South Bay area.

The ones in Orange County were great and had lots of nice folks working there.

Customer: You got any Glocks?

Me: Yep, sure do what model or caliber are you looking for?

Customer: FoFive!!! Do it spit?

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I liked B&B as well. The one in Westminster was great. The one in HW was okay. That was where I bought my Colt Combat Gov't in 1983.

I had heard the owner of B&B had lots of issues and a bitter divorce that took lots of his money. He had some other legal issues as well but I know none of this for a fact. It was all hearsay.

I agree, the Turner's in Torrance was full of buttheads. But then I am biased. I hated the South Bay area.

The ones in Orange County were great and had lots of nice folks working there.

Bought several guns from B&B. Then one day, gone....

Rumor (from another LGS owner) that one of the two brothers that owned the store got deep into gambling and Bolivian marching powder and bankrupted both of them.  Then there was the allegations of guns getting in the wrong hands.

Their store in LA provided EBRs to the cops during the long running bank robbery/ shootout.  Probably saved some lives that day. Then then Feds reamed them. 
Allegedly.
This happened too many years ago for my feable memory to be accurate. 

4 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Never RUN with scissors, children.

C.J.,  stupid people can do amazing things with the simplest situations.

I know, "Sigh." About the time you think you have "fool proofed" something, in walks a more talented fool. 

You'll never believe what the fortified structure that was once B&B Sales in Westminster Ca is now...

A Mosque! With gold spires and all. 

not in a gun store but a buddy of mine wanted to reenact the civil war so i sold him my musket.  i went over everything, even gave him a powder measer attached to the powder horn and was repetitive that he was NOT to load more than the powder measure.  one day he came to church all cut up and beat up looking and a bandaged arm.  I asked what happened, he said, i loaded the barrel full to get a louder bang and the gun blew up and knocked me down and hit me.  I was so thankful he had not put a ball in it as well.  i asked him if he remembered me telling him not to do that.  he did.  he did it anyway.  later he told me he wanted me to put in my will that he was to inherit all my muskets and cap and ball pistols.  i looked at him like he lost his mind.  i told him hopefully by the time that happens you will be too old to care about muskets or reenacting.

Customer: I need some bullets

Me: You mean loaded ammo right? What caliber?

Customer: 9mm or 40 cal.

Me: We have both

Customer: whatever's cheaper this gun can shoot both!!

Me: Can I see the gun? (Ruger 9mm)

Me: This is a 9mm, it will not shoot .40 caliber

Customer: My cousin says it'll shoot both!!

Me: Your cousin is an idiot!!! (That's what I wanted to say!!! :lol:

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I doubt his cousin actually said that.  The cousin PROBABLY told him that particular weapon was available in both 9mm and caliber .40.

I'm very careful what I say to anyone about firearms unless I know they are shooters.

Still, you'd think that at some point, common sense would kick in.

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 8:27 PM, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I don't think that stupid people with fabric could hurt somebody.:o

Strangulation.....

Best one that I ever heard was the fool who purchased a SKS rifle, thought he was bad, then put the magazine in backwards.  Went out to have a shoot out with the local thugs who smiled at his girl.  You can guess who lost that one.

I did hear a guy asking for the largest caliber rifle the store sold.  He was told it was a .458 Lott. He asked if it would stop anything.  Clerk says just about.  The guy says will it stop an alligator?  Clerk says, "If, and only if, you hit it right."  Guys says well, I'm not that good of a shot.  I want something that I can shoot and hit what I want without having to worry about aiming.  Clerk says, "Try the army or navy.  They have missiles that do the thinking for you."

Here's one that stopped me in my tracks at a local store here in OR that I do business with.

Pre-story:

They have a young guy that works there as a salesman. I would say he's probably 21 or 22. He is what I call "Guns & Ammo smart". In other words, he's read a lot but ha little practical experience. He is also a bald-faced BS'r of the highest order. I knew that the day he tried to sell me one of those Turkish CZ-75 clones, I cannot remember the name but Armalite used to import them. He told me that they were the latest thing and that they would outshine any gun with a "plastic frame" and that soon everyone would resort back to all metal guns. :wacko:

Oh, and by the way, the rest of the guys in that store are Grade A in my book. They have gunsmiths, a shooting range, A real shooting gallery and a nice selection of firearms and a knowledgeable staff...except for Lumpy, as I call him..Not because he's fat. Because I think he hit his head a lot as a child... I have heard him say the darndest things to people trying to get them to buy a gun.

Anyway, I am walking through the store after using the firing range that's towards the rear of the building. I am headed to the front door to leave when I hear;

"No, no, no...You don't want to do that. You need to keep the magazine fully loaded or completely empty or you'll screw up the spring and it will get weak and it will probably take a set and stay that way".

I stopped dead in my tracks and looked over. Lumpy was trying to make a sale to some young guy and girl.

He said "You need to leave the magazine fully loaded. Partially loading it will screw up the spring and it will need to be replaced sooner that expected and probably when you need it to work the most like when some crazy guy has busted down your door and who knows what he's gonna do" As he is staring at the girl that has a strange horrified look on her face.

I couldn't help myself and I couldn't let this goonboy get away with this idiocy.

I stepped up to the counter and said "Don't tell these people that horsesh**! You'd better learn something about springs and magazines before you go telling people $#@% that isn't true. And quit trying to scare this poor girl with that BS".

That's when 2 Gunsmiths stopped what they were doing and came over to the counter. Their shop is inside the store behind the gun counters so you can see them working in there.

The guy that I later found out was one of the managers in the shop said "What's this about springs and magazines"?

I told him what Lumpy was saying and then the Gunsmith thanked me and I left.

Maybe I shouldn't have stuck my nose in there but man did that frost me good. I have been back to that store many times since and I see Lumpy has new duties. He is usually sweeping up around the place.

11 hours ago, Seldom Seen #16162 said:

Shame on you for selling him the wrong bullets. :(

He has a Australian model 9mm pistol. :ph34r: Since Australia is in the Southern Hemisphere the markings on the gun will be upside down when he is in the Northern Hemisphere. :huh: No reason to be embarrassed as they are rarely seen in the U.S. :blush: We recently had a long discussion on the forum about the differences in using Australian model guns. :wacko:

Nope, when I turned the box upside down, like they would be if I were in Australia, they said ww6, so it was all good!

6 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Customer: You got any Glocks?

Me: Yep, sure do what model or caliber are you looking for?

Customer: FoFive!!! Do it spit?

On a daily basis:

"You got extendo clips for the Glock (or other brand)? Do this beam (meaning laser) work on it?"

We have a new firearms guy, and this evening one of the older firearms guys was telling him about this. I walked up and he asked me what the next thing a person asked for after asking for an "extendo clip." I didn't miss a beat before saying "a beam." The new guy just shook his head in disbelief.

6 hours ago, Cat Brules, SASS #14086 said:

I doubt his cousin actually said that.  The cousin PROBABLY told him that particular weapon was available in both 9mm and caliber .40.

I'm very careful what I say to anyone about firearms unless I know they are shooters.

I keep sayin' it....there is no such thing as common sense.  There is only knowledge and experience, and some folks lack both.

LL

This thread is great reading....scary but great....it brought back memories of my retail days...the customer is NOT always right when you are talking weapons......Thanks to all...Jim

11 hours ago, Cat Brules, SASS #14086 said:

No he insisted that his cousin, who sold him the gun, said he could shoot either caliber out of it. I had to point out the marking that said 9MM and he still didn't get it!! You have no idea of the level of ignorance I dealt with at that gun shop/range!!

13 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

No he insisted that his cousin, who sold him the gun, said he could shoot either caliber out of it. I had to point out the marking that said 9MM and he still didn't get it!! You have no idea of the level of ignorance I dealt with at that gun shop/range!!

Could be the cousin knew HE was dealing with an idiot and why he said what he said. Figured the guys at the gun store could deal with him (the idiot).:lol:

I had a guy call the store and ask if I had any "regular 7mm bullets". After telling him what I had, and a couple more questions, I determined he really wanted 7mm ammo.

"What kind of 7mm's do you need?"

"Just the regular ones."

"Well what does it say on the barrel?"

"I dunno, it's over at my brother's house. Don't you just have regular 7mm's?"

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

You have no idea of the level of ignorance I dealt with at that gun shop/range!!

Rye, I don't work at a gun store and I have heard so many things at gun stores, gun shows and ranges that made my skin crawl or wonder how some people function at all.

On 4/22/2017 at 8:19 AM, DocWard said:

I had a very old guy come in looking for ww6 bullets. Thinking I misunderstood him, I asked him again. He repeated "ww6." Now I was confused. I asked him what kind of firearm they were for. He told me they were for his old pistol. I asked him what make it was and he couldn't remember. He just remembered when he bought it, the guy told him it took a "very" particular kind of bullet, and he had run out. So he wrote down what it took off the gun itself to bring to the store. He showed me the piece of paper, and then the light went on. ww6 is 9mm upside down...

Winner!  Or at least honorable mention!

Some short stupid things I have heard / seen at a gun store/show

"I need a clip for my (insert pistol name)"

"You mean a magazine, right"?

"No, a clip. I don't know nothing about any magazines"

"Why can't I find a gun that can just handle all 30 caliber rifle loads"

"What do you mean by 'loads"?

"You know, 30-06, 30-30, .308"?

"All in one gun"?

"Yeah"

"Does this gun come with free cleaning"?

"Why does my laser wiggle so much? They don't do that on TV. There must be something wrong."

"I want a gun that I don't have to clean"

"If I holds it sideways it looks cool. What's the best ammo for that"? - I still have no idea what that one meant...nether did the guy behind the counter.

Another true gun shop story:

Customer: Do you rent guns here?

Me: Yes we do, what would you like to shoot today?

Customer: When do I have to bring it back?

Me: You shoot it here, it doesn't leave the store unless you buy it!!

Customer: Thanks.............and he left!!!

We wrote down his license number and called the local police and told them this guy just might be up to some trouble!! The police thanked us, never did find out the outcome.......WEIRD  AND SCARY PEOPLE!!!!:huh:

Some scary / stupid things I heard at a gun store / show / range: 

NOTE: after a couple of these the FFL called the police.

"I want a load that is undetectable by the police after I shoot her".

"I need a gun that shoots accurately for about a city block."

"Uh, what exactly are you shooting"?

"My boss. I don't want to get caught"

"Sorry, we can't help you today" - the sales guy called the police after he left.

"I need a gun that won't make a mess when I shoot him"

"I like this rifle. What scope should I get for it"? - Springfield M1A.

"What do you plan to use it for"?

"I want to be able to shoot 2 or 3 hundred yards with it" - guy had a wild look to him.

"Well, we have a fine selection of scopes. How much do you want to spend"?

"It doesn't matter. Look, I want the rifle. I have $3000 total for this but I still need to buy a couple of other things so I don't want to bust my savings just on the gun".

"Your savings"?

"Yeah, I figure I won't be needing it after this so I took it all out" - this is when the sales guy appeared REALLY concerned....and so was I.

Sales guy, changing tactics - "You know, you can wait and think about it. There is a 10 day wait to pick up this gun so you can decide and get a scope when you pick it up"

"TEN DAYS!? I can't wait that long. This is Bull SH..!....I need to do this now, tomorrow. TEN DAYS"?

"Yes, that's the law".

"%$#@ the law!" and the guy stormed out. The sales guy called the police while taking a photo of the guy's car parked out front.

:wacko:

7 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

"Does this gun come with free cleaning"?

Actually this is a great service for a gun store to offer.

When the customer brings their gun in for cleaning it will be a excellent opportunity for add on sales for ammunition, targets, grips, holster, etc.

2 hours ago, Seldom Seen #16162 said:

Actually this is a great service for a gun store to offer.

When the customer brings their gun in for cleaning it will be a excellent opportunity for add on sales for ammunition, targets, grips, holster, etc.

I don't know about "free" cleaning being worth it for a dealer. They don't make as much profit on a gun as one would think, I'm sure. Perhaps one or two free ones, but this guy was talking about for as long as he owned it. At least that's how it came across.

But you are right about the additional sales. 

I have never owned one but I understand that Sonic Gun Cleaner machines clean a gun well and is easy to use. Not only can it be used to clean customers guns but also used guns before they are put in the display case for sale.

In addition to add on sales after the purchase it also gives the store associates to examine the gun for parts replacement such as recoil springs and repairs.

Brick and Mortar stores need to survive by offering products and services the customer can not get from the Internet. The store could always be a time limit for how long the free cleaning service is good for, say one year. However I would not put a time limit on it. While the gun is being cleaned it will give the customer a chance to look and handled other guns creating interest in another gun purchase.

I have taken the topic off track so I will allow it to return about the crazy things that a person hears in gun stores.

Not at a gun store, but one time a range a couple of tacti-cool dudes with lots of black rifles were at the bench next to me.  They were jaw jacking about rates of fire, max effective range, and the like.  They were being safe if not a little obnoxious so I basically ignored them.  

They came over to my bench and asked what the max effective range of my gun was.  I told them there was a documented 1500 yard shot with a very similar model.

They then asked about its max rate of fire.

I couldn't grasp how to explain to them that a Sharps rifle is a single shot.  It shoots as fast as you work the hammer and lever.

Sometimes the unexpected things come from the other side of the counter. I remember many years ago buying my first gun (a Ruger P95). While trying to figure out what would be a good choice and asking lots of questions, this happened:

Employee: So what are you going to use it for?

Me: To be honest, probably just shooting cans.

Employee: What kind of cans?

Me: ...?

Employee: Mexicans, Africans, Puerta Ricans...?

:blink:

1 hour ago, OldSchoolBoy said:

Sometimes the unexpected things come from the other side of the counter. I remember many years ago buying my first gun (a Ruger P95). While trying to figure out what would be a good choice and asking lots of questions, this happened:

Employee: So what are you going to use it for?

Me: To be honest, probably just shooting cans.

Employee: What kind of cans?

Me: ...?

Employee: Mexicans, Africans, Puerta Ricans...?

:blink:

Along those same lines I went in a local gun shop/range and was looking at a Cimarron Evil Roy model when they first came out. I asked to handle it and it was smooth, light action, really nice. I told the clerk I really like this and he said, "Yea, better than a Colt, in fact Uberti makes Colts for Colt. I laughed and he said "No really they do"

I said "They used to make the cap and ball revolvers for Colt awhile back but not the SAA, he insisted he was right!! I said something to the effect that I was not in the mood to argue, so have a nice day and I started walking out when the owner of the store said "What's the problem sir", I said your employee doesn't know what he's talking about and I don't feel like an argument". I explained to her what the discussion was about and she said, "I'll talk to him, he tends to think he knows everything" Nice lady and I've been back there quite a few times and I don't see that employee anymore!!:D

Archived