SASS Wire Forum

Thoughts On The American Army

Subdeacon Joe

I read somewhere that the reason for the D-Day success was two fold. 1. The Germans couldn't make a move unless it was approved by Hitler. So the Tanks and troops in reserve couldn't move until he woke up that morning

2. American forces were great at improvising and adapting to the moment. They didn't wait for high commend to tell them what to do. I believe Eisenhower said that the best battle plans only work up until the moment the shooting starts. An example was the way we beat the hedgerows. Someone came up with the idea to but a blade or ripper on the front of tanks. They could take out sections of the hedge and blast away while doing so.

Ike

A great and wise Marine (probably Chesty Puller) once said, "If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BS."

Manuals are used to start fires when you can't find wood.

Besides, I don't know about the female military members, but no man EVER reads the instructions.

Shakey

The fact that the Army survived my brief sojourn into leadership proves it can overcome almost anything.

Now Bob, I don't buy that for a minute.

Ahh the stories I could tell....... :D

I'm still trying to figure out, "An Army of One." :blush:

The "explanation" is that it is an Army of Officers, NCOs, and Enlisted.

As one of my best friends observed, though, "If I'm an 'Army of One,' I'm cold and wet, because they only gave me half a damn tent!"

An Old Army Riddle:

A column of marching soldiers are one step from marching over a cliff. :o What command can the leader give that will stop the front rank from marching over the cliff? :huh:

soldiers-marching.jpg

Hint: It requires no preparatory command. :ph34r:

An Old Army Riddle:

A column of marching soldiers are one step from marching over a cliff. :o What command can the leader give that will stop the front rank from marching over the cliff? :huh:

soldiers-marching.jpg

Hint: It requires no preparatory command. :ph34r:

I often look at a marching column of soldiers to see "what could they do better" because they are never perfect. But that old sergeant near the back just looks like he in is the wrong place. (For those who don't know, he is in that position in the formation because of his height, but the other things on his uniform just make it "wrong" to my view.)

I often look at a marching column of soldiers to see "what could they do better" because they are never perfect. But that old sergeant near the back just looks like he in is the wrong place. (For those who don't know, he is in that position in the formation because of his height, but the other things on his uniform just make it "wrong" to my view.)

That is not just a column of soldiers. Those are troops of the Old Guard. 3rd Ing Regt in DC. Specifically Tomb Guards. Note that only the sergeants are wearing chevrons. Tomb Guards wear no chevrons so as not to show disrespect by outranking the Unknowns.

I will bet my pension and SS checks there is not a hair or medal out of place.

I assume that pic is from the Inaugural Parade.

That is not just a column of soldiers. Those are troops of the Old Guard. 3rd Ing Regt in DC. Specifically Tomb Guards. Note that only the sergeants are wearing chevrons. Tomb Guards wear no chevrons so as not to show disrespect by outranking the Unknowns.

I will bet my pension and SS checks there is not a hair or medal out of place.

I assume that pic is from the Inaugural Parade.

That would explain why what appears to be privates wearing strips on their trousers.

I do believe current regulations don't allow the gold strip on the trousers for ranks below corporal.

Anybody know the answer to the riddle?

That would explain why what appears to be privates wearing strips on their trousers.

I do believe current regulations don't allow the gold strip on the trousers for ranks below corporal.

Anybody know the answer to the riddle?

Braid is for Non-coms and Officers only.

Page 60

http://www.benning.army.mil/infantry/199th/ocs/content/pdf/p670_1.pdf

Archived