SASS Wire Forum

Really ticked off

Outrider Outlaw

Last October I ordered Federal small pistol primers from Cabelas. I ordered them on-line and their website showed that they were available. It wasn't too long after that I received notification that they were out of stock but my order would be placed on back order. I contacted Cabelas via "live chat" to see if they could tell me when they'd be in. They said end of the month. When I got nothing by the first part of November I again contacted them and they said they hadn't received their order but should get them in by the end of November and that my order would be processed then. Well, first part of December comes along and still nothing.

So I contact them again. Same story, they should be in by the end of December.

I just now contacted them again and was told that my order had been cancelled. They supposedly sent me an e-mail on 12/16 wanting to know if I wanted my order to stand and that I had 10 days to respond. I never got an e-mail from them other than the one back in October acknowledging my order. I'm very conscientious abut checking my e-mails and I had nothing from them. I even went back and checked my deleted items folder and my spam folder---nothing there from them.

I'm really pretty disgusted by the whole thing.

OO

Yep, they did that to me too.

Seems to be the way of the world with these big chain stores.

Frustrating

--Dawg

Cabela's gets none of my gun related business. Their loss. They may know clothing, but they don't know stocking and supplying components.

Good luck, GJ

Bass pro did the same to me! I ordered 10 cases of sg shells, andthey gave me a date. Two weeks after the date, I called them. They apologized and said 2 weeks. They gave me the same 2 weeks everytime I called. Finally cancelled, and ups brought them to my door!!!

My orders for primers have always been thru GRAF & Sons.

I've never had an issue with them.

You might want to give them a shout and see if they can help.

..........Widder

• Like 1

Unfortunately its getting to be the norm for online merchants to do that. Either their web page cant keep up and show something is out or they outright keep it showing as in stock just to keep your business and hope you keep it on back order.

That has happened to me twice with Wild West Mercantile. Two separate times I've placed online orders and as soon as I press the buy button, I get an email saying its back ordered but thanks for your order.... really? Immediately I get an email saying its back ordered but the web page says its in stock?

The worse was a pair of boots.... I emailed them to ask why it says its in stock but put on back order right away. The response was "they are made in Canada and can take up to 3 to 4 weeks. I wrote back and told them they need to put that little tid bit of info on the web page. No answer directly to that but one that basically said they were sorry.

I know why they don't put that on the web page.... because some folks may move on. So that one really ticked me off......

And back to the boots.... I kept it on back order and they took almost 6 weeks to come in. I still do business with them but I email them now and ask is something is in stock first.

Grafs and Sons in Mexico Missouri show none in stock on their online store and of yesterday, had none in their retail outlet.

I heard someone say they got some in quantity at Grafs Reloading in St. Charles Missouri. While I understand the owner of Grafs Reloading is close related to the founders of Grafs and Sons, it's not connected as a business. You may give them a try. I don't know if they distribute products or strictly direct sales.

http://grafsreloading.com/

In any case, there is some sign maybe there is some in the pipeline.

Been there, done that. Stopped buying online from Cabela's years ago. If I go in a Cabela's and I can walk out with what I want, fine.

Most dealers haven't gotten any Federal primers in a long time. Dillon's has not had any in months. I ordered some from Brownells/Sinclair and after several months I did get a notice that they were cancelling the order because of continued uncertainty of when they would get any primers. What a lot of people have done is to order from multiple seller's and hope one of them will get some primers. I got an email from one saying I had two hours to respond if I still wanted some that had been ordered months ago. I wasn't home and by the time I opened the email the two hours were up and they were out of stock again. Doesn't do any good to whine about it. You just have to keep lookiing.

Edited by Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933

In all fairness to Cabelas....

There was a run on reloading supplies and some accessories before the November elections.

And Computers are wonderful when they work right. For those of us that use computers a lot how many times have you experienced either not receiving a email or someone claiming they never received it?

Cabela's gets none of my gun related business. Their loss. They may know clothing, but they don't know stocking and supplying components.

Good luck, GJ

I'm in the same camp as Joe, I don't give ANY of my business to companies, either online or brick and mortar, that pull shenanigans like this, there far too many sources who are good to do business with. I'm not a large volume shooter, only going through 500 - 1,000 large pistol primers per month but always order in quantity to make sure I have plenty on hand. My last order was for 20,000 Federal primers back in the fall of 2016 (when most said they were impossible to find) will keep me supplied for well over another year.

I always order from www.powdervalleyinc.com because they have the best prices I can find and spreading the hazmat and shipping costs over large quantities of primers brings the "per box" price down to under anything I can find locally.

The trick to shopping them is to check back frequently (not just every few weeks) because they will show them in stock one day and sell out the same day.

I ordered fed primers from Cabelas in June, they said they would be back-ordered when I placed the order) They sent me an email asking if I wanted to keep the order active in August. I said yes. Primers arrived in October. I was glad to have them! I felt they acted honorably, told me they were back-ordered prior to my purchase, checked to see if I still wanted the order to remain on back order, and finally shipped (at a very good price, 26.99/K!)

I have plenty on hand now, but when I get below 10K I'll probably order from them again.

A follow up to my original post.

I have to say I am about as impressed as I could possibly be. Last night I received a phone call from Cabelas corporate offices regarding the problems that I had with my order. Unfortunately they couldn't resolve the issue that I had with my order but just the fact that I got a call from their corporate headquarters in Nebraska says a lot to me about the company.

They told me that they had sent me another 2 e-mails just then and that I should have received them. I checked my e-mail account while I had them on the phone and there was nothing there. I asked the very nice lady if she would give me her e-mail address so I could send her something to see if there was anything going on. She got what I sent her and sent a response back to me.

As of this morning, I still haven't received the e-mails that were sent last night so there is clearly something odd going on. The lady went so far as to give me her direct phone number and told me that she would check in with me in about a week. She also said that she would keep an eye out for the availability of the primers I want and would call me when they became available.

Whether or not she follows through on the promise of calling me when the primers are available is irrelevant. The fact that they called me in the first place to discuss the problem tells me that they really are concerned with their customer's satisfaction.

OO

My orders for primers have always been thru GRAF & Sons.

I've never had an issue with them.

You might want to give them a shout and see if they can help.

..........Widder

-- DITTO !! --

Graf & Sons has always been reliable for me regarding back orders.

I guess I'm lucky. My local Cabela's seems to always have Federal primers in stock. I don't pay much attention to the quantity of small pistol primers but every time I look large pistol and large pistol magnum primers are available. Their prices are usually in line with other local retailers and sometimes even cheaper.

Lately the local Cabela's has had in stock Trail Boss powder. There are two places locally where I have seen Trail Boss powder available and Cabela's is beating the other place's price by $5 per bottle.

The local Cabela's does not seem to carry any decent inventory of lead and their Star Line and Winchester brass is overpriced, but they do always have brass if you find yourself in a pinch and want to pony up a couple more dollars per bag.

The local Cabela's Gun Library always has some interesting firearms and they seem to maintain a healthy inventory with new stuff coming in all the time. I have found several very good deals this last year and there were several more I unfortunately missed out on. Two of last year's purchases involved a successful price negotiation wirh the gun counter manager. All in all I am mostly a happy Cabela's customer except for some of the extremely shoddy workmanship I have found on some of their Pietta cap and ball revolvers which is another story entirely.

Like I said, I guess I'm just lucky.

I have been waiting since October also after talking to somebody mid December they said they would ship at the end of the year I called today and they said my order has been cancelled that they had sent me an email for me to respond but no email was ever sent

Just a note to Outrider Outlaw, it could be your email service provider has Cabelas blocked. Maybe they block them cause they sell guns or maybe they consider them a spam site or somebody at some point complained about them, or maybe they blocked them accidentally. It's worth calling them and asking them though.

I've been buying from Reloading Unlimited. Not sure if they are the cheapest or not but they run specials from time to time that I've taken advantage of and everything I've ordered has always been in stock and shipped promptly. I have no issue with Cabelas other than it ain't what it used to be and there are plenty of other places to buy clothes made in China. I tend to shop there about once a year in January after I get a gift card from my in-laws for Christmas.

Last October I ordered Federal small pistol primers from Cabelas. I ordered them on-line and their website showed that they were available. It wasn't too long after that I received notification that they were out of stock but my order would be placed on back order. I contacted Cabelas via "live chat" to see if they could tell me when they'd be in. They said end of the month. When I got nothing by the first part of November I again contacted them and they said they hadn't received their order but should get them in by the end of November and that my order would be processed then. Well, first part of December comes along and still nothing.

So I contact them again. Same story, they should be in by the end of December.

I just now contacted them again and was told that my order had been cancelled. They supposedly sent me an e-mail on 12/16 wanting to know if I wanted my order to stand and that I had 10 days to respond. I never got an e-mail from them other than the one back in October acknowledging my order. I'm very conscientious abut checking my e-mails and I had nothing from them. I even went back and checked my deleted items folder and my spam folder---nothing there from them.

I'm really pretty disgusted by the whole thing.

OO

I fell you pain and be glad Hilary lost the election or you would have this to look forward to. This is how it works here in Brazil, in October I sent a request to the Military for authorization to purchase 1000 primers, 1 kg of powder and 200 rounds of 20ga shotgun ammo. Well here it is January and I am still waiting for the Military to send me the authorization letter. I can not order the material without that letter. I heard it may be another 2 months wait on the authorization letter (hoping they approve it). Hind sight being 20/20, I would have requested to purchase more to hold me over the waiting period.