SASS Wire Forum

A Real ID

Ace_of_Hearts

I have been noticed to get a new drivers license.....

In the notice is another notice that my drivers license is no longer a REAL ID.

A Real ID must be used to board an airplane or enter a Federal Building where ID is required after October 2020.

I must present

1 - Proof of identity

2 - Proof of a Social Security Number

3 - 2 proofs of residential address

I think I'll just use my passport. (which I guess is a "Real ID" that I got without all the above requirements)

Edited by Ace_of_Hearts

Yeah... ain't that sumpin'.

A state-issued driver's license is not sufficient ID to buy a firearm in our state... ya gotta have a garbage bill or some such to supplement it. :huh:

Sheesh. <_<

I wonder if anyone's ever done a study to determine how much this stuff has reduced crime... :mellow:

I have read about situations where a state-issued concealed carry ID is not considered a valid form of state ID. At first I wondered how this could be and then I quickly ascertained the requiring party just simply the anti-gun in nature. TSA being one of the entities that will not accept it as ID.

But not being able to use your driver's license at the driver's license office showing it to the same office that issued you your driver's license to get another driver's license makes no sense to me.

Edited by Dantankerous

Still, no "Voter ID" is required to ensure the basic premise and principles for fair and genuinely untainted elections; the cornerstone of our continued existence as a free nation with a strong Constitution.

Edited by Cat Brules, SASS #14086

My state-issued concealed pistol license has no photograph and I never would have considered it ID.

Some states have a CCH license that is identical to a DL except at the top says concealed carry license, not drivers license. My state's DL and CCH are identical but for that wording at the top.

I can see why a non picture carry permit would not work for valid ID. I did not imagine a state would issue a carry permit without the holder's picture on it.

Edited by Dantankerous

I have read about situations where a state-issued concealed carry ID is not considered a valid form of state ID. At first I wondered how this could be and then I quickly ascertained the requiring party just simply the anti-gun in nature. TSA being one of the entities that will not accept it as ID.

But not being able to use your driver's license at the driver's license office showing it to the same office that issued you your driver's license to get another driver's license makes no sense to me.

Exactly. You have to be printed and pass a background to get a ccw license. Idiots.

I can see why a non picture carry permit would not work for valid ID. I did not imagine a state would issue a carry permit without the holder's picture on it.

I don't have a photo on my license to practice law, either. Or some other licenses I have held.

This cracks me up. In order to get a driver's license, you need to go through a bunch of extraneous hoops, and yet that same driver's license can't be used to renew the driver's license.

Yeah... ain't that sumpin'.

A state-issued driver's license is not sufficient ID to buy a firearm in our state... ya gotta have a garbage bill or some such to supplement it. :huh:

Sheesh. <_<

I wonder if anyone's ever done a study to determine how much this stuff has reduced crime... :mellow:

Hardhand Smidgeon... you got to be kiddin'? What the hell is a "garbage bill"? Where do ya get 'em?

Dam.

ts

My DL has a picture

My CC has a picture

My Veterans has a picture

You mean I have to get 666 tattooed on my forehead to know who I am?

Hardhand Smidgeon... you got to be kiddin'? What the hell is a "garbage bill"? Where do ya get 'em?

Dam.

ts

Well TS, it's like this...

'Bout oncet a week or so, the Garbage Fairy comes along and takes stuff from yer garbage cans - kinda like a honeybee in the springtime. But they sends ya a bill; they expects ya to send 'em money. Greedy ba$tards! They already get all that free garbage and they ain't satisfied. And if ya forgets to take your garbage cans out for 'em the night before, the garbage pig will fill yer shoes with mush. [According to Mike Cleary, the former morning personality on KNBR radio station.] :-)

But seriously... to buy a firearm, you need an automobile registration, electric or water bill, garbage bill, or some such with your name and address on it. Can't be trustin' their own issued ID's, don'tcha know. :angry:

We went through the same mess in Georgia. Georgia has always required a birth certificate and other records to get your first driver's license. After that, the driver's license was all you needed. THEN, North Carolina decided to give driver's licenses to illegal aliens. The illegals would come to Georgia and trade in the North Carolina license for a Georgia license. The only way to fix this was to require everyone in Georgia to validate legal residency when their license came up for renewal. Then you got a gold star on your license which mean you don't have to bring all the extra I.D. next time. North Carolina was not the only state passing out driver's licenses to illegals but they were the one we saw the most.

So a few years ago there was discussion about having some sort of national ID card... and there arose a hue and outcry about government control: "Show me your papers!"

Look where that mindset is leading us.

But... is sure seems to work for Mexico!

Mexico's National Voter ID

I remember discussing a similar matter with a pleasant old man, one afternoon in an ambulance.

We were taking him home to die.

He and his wife were one of the last couples to run the gauntlet across the East German frontier, his suitcase and overcoat inherited a few bullet holes from the trip.

He said (among other things) that to cross an internal border in the Soviet Union, one had to show a passport. Not just an ID, but an actual passport.

He said he came to the US to escape that one phrase he most detested:

"Yo' papiss plizz."

There are a few states, like here in PA, where the state issued drivers license does not meet the federal guidelines for an acceptable ID. As I understand it, PA still has a year or so to comply and I was told that they have no intention of doing so. So yes we will need another for of ID. A passport will work.

Dam.

ts

Ya get billed by the trash companies that come by once a week to collect yer garbage. The Gray can is for trash, the blue can is for recyclables, the green cans are for green recyclables like leaves and grass clippings. Don't mix the three up because then you'll get in trouble from the garbage collector. Seems I threw some empty spray paint cans in the trash and they were supposed to go in the recycle can.

WELL!

I got my REAL ID drivers license.

I had to show my

1 - Passport

2 - Social Security Card

3 - Bill from the County Assessors office and bill from State tax office.

Now I guess I can get onto airplane in 2020.

Typical of the Government......

The regular driver licence has printed on it.... Not good for Federal identification.

The real ID driver licence has nothing printed on it......

Seems a bit backwards to me!

I believe the purpose of this is to provide an ID (REAL) that proves you are in fact a citizen of the US. A driver's license, in many places in the country, could easily be obtained by folks who are not citizens of the US - NM as a case in point!. Without a Real ID, you would/will need a passport to board a plane or enter a government building.