SASS Wire Forum

Stagecoach question

Hey All,

This might be a silly question, but I hope you'll bear with me. I was discussing stagecoaches with a coworker of mine after watching Hateful Eight. The scene where the woman prisoner was discussing how the Sheriff would get all the corpses off the mountain, in particular. She mentions that she doubts that he could drive a six horse team.

So I'm wondering, what does that entail, exactly? If a person can drive a one horse buggy, two or four horse team, why would six be so much more difficult?

Again, I apologize if this is obvious to others, but I've never tried to do it. Any clarification would be appreciated.

Jack

Has to do with the training of the horses, especially the lead horses.

You don't just round up a bunch of horses and hitch'em to a 6-up.

Very good friend of mine is a stage coach driver for Wells Fargo(been in lots of their commercials)and it's impressive to watch him 'work' a team.

OLG

Has to do with the training of the horses, especially the lead horses.

You don't just round up a bunch of horses and hitch'em to a 6-up.

Very good friend of mine is a stage coach driver for Wells Fargo(been in lots of their commercials)and it's impressive to watch him 'work' a team.

OLG

That was my first thought...6 horses that get a long with each other...

Texas Lizard

Something lumpy forgot to say is you have to teach a horse to hitch and pull a buggy, wagon or stagecoach

What about the driver? Is there a high level of skill to driving a team, or is it relatively simple to figure out?

Yes-you have to know and 'read' the horses, and it's a high level of horsemanship.

My deepest respect and admiration to those that do it.

OLG

My guess is it takes a lot of skill. Here's one of the greatest scenes of all time with a 6-horse team;

That scene was filmed in Lucerne Vly, next to what is now the Double R Bar Regulators range. It's very popular for RC aircraft.

OLG

Each horse in a 6 has to be individually controlled. Watch how the driver arranges the reins between the fingers of his hands. Not an easy skill to learn and hard work to do well. When I was very young the threshing machines were hauled from farm to farm with 6 horse hitches.

I watched the video and I never noticed before how the reins were between the fingers of the driver. That's impressive, and I bet it makes for a heck of a good grip. I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't seen the rest of the movie before. I'll have to go do that.

As I recall, a license was required of those who drove multi- horse teams on movie sets. I don't know who would test drivers and issue such a license though, other than an insurance company maybe.

I love that guy at 3:30. Riding wide open, fires a trapdoor carbine, lowers it, opens it, gets another shell from his pocket, loadd it, raises it for another shot, all at s full gallop. And it looks like it's as difficult for him as me sitting in my Lazyboy picking up the remote to change the channel.

There's another one doing that about 6:25.

I musta watched that movie a couple dozen times, and watching that clip is the first time I saw where Hatfield got the gun. I'd always wondered.

That little tip-up - that made perfect sense for a dandy like that. But that SAA? He wasn't wearing a gun.

That's the first time I noticed Curly take his gun off and pass it down to the passengers.

Andy Devine and Slim Pickens were both top teamsters!! There were a couple more that I can't recall. I'm not sure about Ben Johnson. He was an all around top cowboy who rodeoed until the day he died, literally.

I drive a 4 up once in my younger days for a half hour. Never got faster than trotting the horses and they were well trained or Clyde wouldn't have let me near his team. I have great respect for anyone that can drive a 4 up or a 6 up for any length of time. My arms were wore out after just a half hour. Glad I got the chance to do it but I dang sure wouldn't want to do it for a living!!

PS. That half hour in no way even makes me close to being a capable team driver!!!

I think a 20 mule team would be more in the size of the load.

2 "small" mules can just about jerk yhe frame out ftom under a pickup.

2 draft horses pulled my 1995 freightliner tractor and 48' flatbed out of a muddy field.

29 mules can about pull a house off the foundation.

I used to watch the horse pulling contests at the local fairs. In the finals, the heaviest horses, screaming with their bellies on the ground, would give up on a fully loaded sled. (the sleds were loaded with sacks of cement)

After the awards were given out a guy would come into the arena with a team of Holstein bulls, hook onto the sled and easily pull it out the door. Their strength is amazing.

The big mule teams, 20 mules, were as stated above run with a jerk line that I don't not know how that worked. I do know that the individual horses and mules would respond to commands given by name.

A horse will often pull against to heavy a load until it literally drops dead. A mule or a Jack will try, and if the load is too big, they'll quit.

• 2 months later...

Have you watched a 6 horse team go around a tight corner? They have to turn as 3 separate pairs, each turning at the right time. It's not just two additional horses, the complexity multiplies as you go from 2 to 4 to 6 horses.

I have only driven a single horse, never had the opportunity for teams.

One story a local ol'curmudgeon tells is when they got a truckload of feed delivered to the farm. The truck got stuck in the barnlot. The farmer hitched a mule team to the truck. The driver was skeptical that the mules could pull the truck out. By accident or intentionally, the horn was blown. The mules not only pulled the truck out but drug it a good bit with the driver locking the brakes. The mules headed around a pond bank and stopped just before pulling the truck into it.

All this explains why Civil War artillery teams were controlled by a rider. Most everybody knew how to ride. Teams would have constantly been shuffled. Less complicated hitching etc. And of course, the rider didn't take up space on the caisson.

Guest Grass Range #51406

Holding the ribbons between the fingers enables one to give different pressure to the different teams. Remember to swing wide on the corners. Do not hitch one horse unbroken to harness to a horse that is broken is unless you start them out on a heavy duty wagon. I found this out when I tried it and ruined a buggy.

Slight tangent:

Lots of Amish families in this area. Last week I saw a farmer plowing his field with 5 draft horses hitched side by side, shoulder to shoulder. He was standing on a skid behind the plow. I think that must have required some skill and horse sense too. Kind of a neat picture.

And now back to stagecoaches.

In John Waynes "Winds of the Wasteland," they used express ponies for the stage coach route to/from Crescent City, and ultimately won the stage coach race for the mail contract.

Archived