SASS Wire Forum

.38 bullet grains question

Shorty Jack Hammer

I haven't as of yet reloaded .38 special, but I am about to for my wife and son. I'm thinking of ordering the standard 15 grain RNFP but am wondering what others use if different and why. She will be shooting my Ruger's with 5.5 b's and likely a Rossi 92 when I get a few extra clinkers.

…meant 158 sorry

125 grain TC makes a fine all around Cowboy bullet. Long enough nose to make most rifles feed well in a 38 spl case. Enough weight to get most knockdowns down at a 750 FPS velocity.

Good luck, GJ

So far I'm seeing 125 as being popular. I only say 158 because it's the only 38 bullet I've ever used in factory ammo for my police special and my snubby back up.

It's really simple to shoot 125 Tapered in everything. I keep a couple boxes of factory bullets wtih 158 750fps for knockdowns with the pistols. The standard loaded 125's with the rifle have always seemed to work fine.

If you do decide to do something like shoot 105's in the pistols & 125's in the rifle, you won't have to change your reloader setup. It loads 105's & 125's the same.

125 grain TC makes a fine all around Cowboy bullet. Long enough nose to make most rifles feed well in a 38 spl case. Enough weight to get most knockdowns down at a 750 FPS velocity.

Good luck, GJ

Yep the wife and I both shoot the 125 gr LTC in our pistols and 92 rifles. Will take down all but the most stubborn KD. For those I keep a few 158 gr in the cart.

Pile on here. As everybody has mentioned, THE most popular bullet is a 125 Truncated Cone. Feeds thru most rifles like wet grain thru a goose. In the past I also liked the 130Gr bullet shown from Ringers.

The problem mentioned about the Rossi stove piping or spitting out two when run fast can usually be cured by shimming the cartridge guides to correct clearance.

Coffinmaker

105 TCFP for the revolvers, 125 RNFP in the '73

TB

I used these for years..

just in the past year and a half I switched over to Deuce's 110 Grain TC with crimp groove..

Use them now for both pistol and rifle.. loads to the same overall length as the 105 and 125 TC in the crimp groove..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' I just gotta stock one bullet now :)

My dad and I both use a 125 grain RNFP bullet in both our rifles and in my pistols. If you use Trail Boss powder it makes a nice light load.

I have 2 '92 rifles in .38. One is a Browning, the other is an Armi Sport. Neither one like a TC shaped bullet, and both will have loading problems with the lighter weight bullets. They both like an overall length of 1.585, however the Armi will feed them alright down to 1.560. They both love a 158gr RN or RNFP bullet, and will run them very fast and reliably if I do my job correctly. I load the same for the revolvers so that I do not have to reset the Dillon. If you would like load data fell free to PM me.

The trick with most '92 rifles is to find what they like to eat, and then feed them only that!

I use 125 gr TC bullets for the pistols and 158 TC's for the rifle. Reason for the heavier bullet in the rifle is that I set them out to 357 OAL for the rifle. My Marlin doesn't like 38 Spl OAL, but will feed perfectly with 38 Spl cases, and bullets set out to 357 OAL.

RBK

I'm thinking of ordering the standard 15 158 grain RNFP but am wondering what others use if different and why.

Ranger, as you see - the posts are a smorgasbord of different weights primarily based on personal preference. You want to reload 158's? Do it because it is one of the standard 38 Spl weights and has the most reloading data for that bullet. Take a look here for your 158 data - pick the powder for the velocity you want - reload for you and the Mrs ... go have fun!

http://www.reloadammo.com/38loads.htm

The majority of shooters using 38s shoot 105 to 130 g bullets. Very few shoot 158 g bullets. The 105 g bullets can easily make the low power factor requirement. If you use 105 g to 130 g bullets it would pay to have a few hotter loads to take care of pesky pistol knock down targets.

Thanks for all the responses pards. Lots to digest. I like the idea of the the lighter bullet/lighter load combo with a few heavier loads if the need arises for KD's. I do use Trailboss for powder.

If you use 105 g to 130 g bullets it would pay to have a few hotter loads to take care of pesky pistol knock down targets

Kid, I shoot 44 caliber percussion's with 140gr round balls over 35gr of FFg black powder. They are far from 'a hotter load' and drop the rack steel plates and the Texas Star plates ... without a need for a hotter load!

I've found that 105 gr. TC's over full case of BP in 38 sp. makes plenty of power for any knockdown I've encountered and bullets hit closer to point of aim in new vaqueros with stock front sight height.....not so much with light smokeless load using the same bullet.

Kid, I shoot 44 caliber percussion's with 140gr round balls over 35gr of FFg black powder. They are far from 'a hotter load' and drop the rack steel plates and the Texas Star plates ... without a need for a hotter load!

Good for you. Looks like where you shoot someone actually tries to set their pistol knockdowns to be reasonable. That is not true everywhere.

I have 2 '92 rifles in .38. One is a Browning, the other is an Armi Sport. Neither one like a TC shaped bullet, and both will have loading problems with the lighter weight bullets. They both like an overall length of 1.585, however the Armi will feed them alright down to 1.560. They both love a 158gr RN or RNFP bullet, and will run them very fast and reliably if I do my job correctly. I load the same for the revolvers so that I do not have to reset the Dillon. If you would like load data fell free to PM me.

The trick with most '92 rifles is to find what they like to eat, and then feed them only that!

My Browning 92 will absolutely not feed TC bullets at any length. Moral of the story is: buy small lots (some cowboy bullet mfg's will ship a dozen or so for a small fee) until you are sure your rifle likes them. I used to use 158's but recently changed to the Badman 127's. So far so good as to feeding.

I use 125 grain TCFP bullets for both revolvers and rifle. i load them long enough to run well in the rifle. I have thought about loading lighter for the pistol, but I just haven't done it.

Let me add this, either Truncated Cone Flat Point bullets, or Round Nose Flat Point bullets, usually work just as well in most Lever Rifles, and the Pistols don't care. Any type nose style will work in Pistols.

Usually it is the shooters preference the style of bullet he uses, or possibly availability has something to do with it. Then again, some Rifles simply feed a particular nose style better than others. You just have to see what your rifle likes. Remember NO LEVER ACTION RIFLE likes Semi-Wadcutter bullets.

RBK

Edited to correct spelling.

Speaking of KD ammo for rifle/pistol, wasn't it decided that the upper limit setting for KD rifle/pistol target was for a factory 38 special with 158g bullet, hit center of target? Did a search, couldn't find reference in the three books.

As some have mentioned, best to have adequate ammo supply to handle such cases.

I think properly set KD targets are set where 22 Long Rifle ammo will take them down. I have never seen KD targets that my 125's running at 675 FPS wouldn't take down. I usually try to hit them at center or above, but they go down solidly for me.

RBK

105 TC, slightly long, runs great in our 92 Rossi and our 73. I found load data for the 105 in Lyman's cast bullet handbook. Recently I started using the poly-coated bullets from SNS casting that were featured in the Chronicle. Now I don't worry so much about my lead levels.

Ok I ordered a few 125 TCFP's from Ringers so you guys better be right…hahah just kidding ;) . I'll give them a shot and experiment with the OAL a bit it they give me trouble.

105 TCFP for the revolvers, 125 RNFP in the '73

TB

plus one no need for a heavy load for our game I've even used 90 gr Bullets in both rifle and revolver. If you rifle will feed the lighter Bullets go with that. If it will not feed the lightest bullet then find the lightest it will feed reliability. It's easier to use one round in both revolver and rifle than carry two diffent loads one for each. It can get confusing at the loading table when your first starting out with trying to remember the shooting instructions and everything. Developed a procedure for loading and use it every time. If you get interrupted you'll know where your at that way and not end up on the line with a empty gun because you failed to load it.

Archived