SASS Wire Forum

.38 bullet grains question

Shorty Jack Hammer

While we're talking bullets, I have another suggestion. I would get the occasional jam, as every shooter does. I decided to chamber-check my bullets. Did some research & found that Evolution Gun Works (EGW) makes a 50 hole chamber checker. At first I was chamber checking all my bullets, then evolved to just checking the ones to be run thru the rifle. I have not had a jam (knock-on-wood) since I started checking them, which I think is about a year now. It takes a little more time, but is worth it. I find an occasional "fat bullet", & see an occasional split case that I didn't notice when loading, even though I look at every casing before putting it on the Dillon 550. I'm not fast enough to absorb the 8 or ten misses from a jam (who is?).

I shoot & make about 700 bullets per week with my wife & I shooting every weekend & practicing once per week also. I'm picking up another 10,000 125 truncated flat points from Scarlett at Wartrace. I've been shooting TiteGroup for a couple years now, & shot Clays before that. I Chronograph from time to time & look for about 500fps to keep me slightly, but safely, over the minimum power factor of 60. For those who may not yet know, Weight of bullet X fps / 1000 = Power factor (It's in the SASS Shooter's handbook.

Also, I only shoot brass cases in the rifle.

Great idea on the chamber checker! I had the same problem and started using a Lee factory crimp die - which has seemed to solve the problem. Time will tell. I've run all your bullets and got your boxes back from Hammer yesterday!♻️ Tommy's gonna pack 'em up today! Look forward to seeing you and Ophelia in Wartrace! All the best! Scarlett

I find an occasional "fat bullet" & see an occasional split case that I didn't notice when loading, even though I look at every casing before putting it on the Dillon 550.

Looking at the case before loading will find some splits. But NOT the splits that occur as the slug is seated into the sized case. You will catch those only by an inspection after loading is complete. One trick - an old piece of nylon stocking rubbed on the finished rounds will snag on a split case that you may not even be able to feel.

Good luck, GJ

I have not as of yet needed to chamber check any rounds for 45 colt, but that sounds like a handy gizmo to have. I do have a little ritual I do with each loaded round. I take them all out of the bin the fall into and put them in a cartridge tray which gives me the opportunity to see the primer. I then take each round and rotate it across my thumbnail tip to try and feel for a split case, and look at it visually for the same and to check the crimp then they go in the box. I know I could do the whole step and skip the tray, but its what I started doing and I just stuck with it. I like the nylon idea though.

Archived