SASS Wire Forum

Snowbird Question

Dapper Dynamite Dick

Got home a few weeks back from my 3rd winter trip to Arizona and Winter Range. My wife and I have had a great time each year, but the mileage I end up putting on every weekend to shoot a match somewhere in Arizona is just plain silly. Is there any place in the warm sunny south where there is a CAS range 50-75 miles in all 4 directions of the compass? Some nice golf courses would help also!

Living in PHX allows lots of shooting. You can shoot 4 matches over 3 weekends right here.

First sat in Mesa first Sun at cowtown second sat at Acsa (Ben Avery), third sun out at cowtown again. The 4th weekend requires some driving either up to Sedona or down to Casa Grande

If you stay on the north west end of town you can shoot 3 matches a month without going very far at all between ACSA and Cowtown. And the rio salado cowboys in Mesa are only about 45 mins away from those. Not sure what part of AZ your snow birding in, but if your here for winter range, you might try looking at areas close to Ben Avery.

Come to Texas. You can shoot a match just about every Saturday and Sunday if your home base is located East or South East of the DFW metroplex. You can also do the same if you want to call the Austin / San Antonio area home base. Every club is slightly different but all are exceptional. Several also offer Wild Bunch matches

Oh and I hear there are also plenty of Golf Courses.

Living in PHX allows lots of shooting. You can shoot 4 matches over 3 weekends right here.

First sat in Mesa first Sun at cowtown second sat at Acsa (Ben Avery), third sun out at cowtown again. The 4th weekend requires some driving either up to Sedona or down to Casa Grande

If you stay on the north west end of town you can shoot 3 matches a month without going very far at all between ACSA and Cowtown. And the rio salado cowboys in Mesa are only about 45 mins away from those. Not sure what part of AZ your snow birding in, but if your here for winter range, you might try looking at areas close to Ben Avery.

Agreed, I do not understand his comments about long driving distances to matches in Az? Where was he living in Az that he had to drive so far to matches?

Las Vegas offers matches on all four weekends of the month.

It is a little cooler than Phoenix but a lot more predictable.

I know capt Baylor likes stay just north of Ben Avery at pioneer Rv park then you got the matches at Ben Avery and cowtown close I'm not sure when they shoot and what weekends are open and how far the other matches around there are I shoot rio solato several years back and if I recall it took me about an hour to get there and twice that to get home in traffic iirc. Also up the highway is Johnny meadows club to shoot at its all open road or as much as it can be in that area. And up a little further is another club. When I get set to do the mobile life style and move twice a year Im planning on trying pioneer Rv out and look for a piece of property to park on every year that's mine with no associations to deal with me and the local governments only. Then I'm thinking of looking into northern no for the summer location instead of hanging out in Abq or Alamogordo where the temps are over a hundred for a month or more I prefer thinks closer to the upper 70s or lower 80s and no humidity. But my plan would be stay in nm until January shoot the las crushes annual then go to tombstone and or Tucson for the February annual match then move on upto pioneer to be setup for fire and ice and winter range stay until it gets too hot then move to ABQ take care of my med appointments and shoot on the weekends then after EOT move to the summer place until January and start over again. The other thing is I might visit ga and sc during the oct to January timeframe visiting family for the holidays and the drive to nm. But eventually my dad will no longer be with us as he is in is upper 70s now. Ten to fifteen years at the most I figure.

I've been to Vegas a few times since the early eighties and seen it ballon up. Nope it's ok for a few days but I don't think I could handle everyone plus it moves me further west if that was the case I would rather be in st George Utah than Vegas. I couldn't find enough cowboy shoots without drive over most of ga and no Rv or private land where I can setup up the Rv regularly in a good location. It's either the ne mins or the southern part of the state. Except for fl. You don't see monthly Rv spots back east or the south that are reasonablely price where you can still have mad money to shoot with. What's between two and three hundred here in the west is twice that there.

Tampa or Orlando Areas are a good place to research. Lots of shoots within that range, and if you can't find a Golf Coarse your just blind LOL! You got Lake County Pistoleros (Eustis, Fl), Weewahootee Vigilantees (Orlando), Doodle Hill Regulators (Ruskin), Hernando Co. Regulators (Between Hudson/Weeki Wachi), Fort White Cowboys (Ft White), Cowford Regulators (Jacksonville), Miakka Misfits (Bradenton), Antelope Junction Rangers (Pinellas Park), Roughsod Rangers (Gainsville), Ghost Town Rangers (St Augustine). Like I said if you choose between Tampa/Orlando/Ocala areas your find warm weather most all year around, Golf Coarses everywhere, and plenty of shooting just about every weekend of the month. Hope this helps

Nobody answered the OP's question. He specified 50-75 mile radius to hit a match on every weekend. Not 'hours and hours' away.

Edit:

Now then, the OP could get a map of Az/Tx/Fl/ where ever, and start drawing shooting clubs on it, then draw a 75mile radius from each. Pick the location where numerous arcs have a common intersection point,,,, or near enough. That will give him some homework to do.

Blastmaster, I think if you look at Sedalia's reply he answered it. DFW (Which means Dallas Fort Worth in Texican) area or San Antonio Area. Now for the 50 to 75 mile radius, that is 150 mile diameter and that covers the DFW and San Antonio areas when I look at a map.

Howdy

NOW WAIT pards, this could actually be a use for GEOMETRY.

Ive only waited a few decades for this....

;)

Best

CR

Sunny southern California. Shoot every weekend and most weekends both days. Locate yourself in Riverside or Temecula and you're right in the range you talk about.

Nobody answered the OP's question. He specified 50-75 mile radius to hit a match on every weekend. Not 'hours and hours' away.

Edit:

Now then, the OP could get a map of Az/Tx/Fl/ where ever, and start drawing shooting clubs on it, then draw a 75mile radius from each. Pick the location where numerous arcs have a common intersection point,,,, or near enough. That will give him some homework to do.

Gawd Awful did, in Phoenix area all those places except Casa Grande are well within 50-75 miles. Depending on where in Phoenix area one stays, even Casa Grande is within the radius he specified.

When I lived in the Phoenix area I was with in 15 minutes of Cowtown and Ben Avery. I got spoiled. Now I go anywhere from 1 to 2 hrs to shoot.

Blastmaster, I think if you look at Sedalia's reply he answered it. DFW (Which means Dallas Fort Worth in Texican) area or San Antonio Area. Now for the 50 to 75 mile radius, that is 150 mile diameter and that covers the DFW and San Antonio areas when I look at a map.

DFW-Austin is in that 150 mile diameter but DFW-San Antonio is pushin' 200mi. I live just easy of DFW and only ONE club is inside that radius. There used to be a map page that showed actual range locations (all on same page), but I've lost the link over the last computer changes.

He lives in Canada and drives here to shoot.

I think GCK was wondering what part of AZ he is in that he can't find plenty of close matches. As stated in PHX it is EASY to meet and even exceed his requirements.

San Antonio Tx almost every weekend for both SASS and USPSA, several clubs. Nice area, but can get a little cold in january.

Griff... dont know when you last drove from DFW to Austin but from I35/I20 to Austin is 190 miles.

Anyhow for our Canadian friends, Driving from Austin to Dallas either direction is a miserable drive on the freeway slow and from construction zone to construction zone. Last month on a Wed. took 5 hours to DFW airport from Austin. Austin to San Antonio is (depending where you start/stop) in each town 80 to 100 miles. Hard thing to get some folks to understand it takes an hour to drive across some cities in Texas. i.e. Houston E-W I 10 or N-S I45, Try driving from White Settlement to Mesquite Austin takes nearly an hour now from Buda to Round Rock....

DDD

Take a look at the link below. It's a map of SASS matches throughout Florida. Every weekend there's a match somewhere close. Firearms laws are friendly, climate is warm (sometimes too much so), inland property is somewhat reasonable and the folks are great. Golf courses are everywhere even is it is a waste of perfectly good shooting range land. :P

Downside is the humidity, mosquitoes and hurricanes......hurricanes are rare though. Somewhere around Lakeland or north of, would achieve most of your requirements.

If your post was a genuine inquiry, give it a thought.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zbkfpfu8URNs.klal3EQ4TZXI&ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&t=h&z=6

CS

I am just outside Richmond, VA. Matches in five different locations with 60 miles. Most clubs shoot twice/month (one weekend, one weekday). So that's 8+ matches/month. Not so hot, not so cold, golfing everywhere you turn.

Come to Texas. You can shoot a match just about every Saturday and Sunday if your home base is located East or South East of the DFW metroplex. You can also do the same if you want to call the Austin / San Antonio area home base. Every club is slightly different but all are exceptional. Several also offer Wild Bunch matches

Oh and I hear there are also plenty of Golf Courses.

DFW to Austin is outside the OP desired driving range and is not what I meant.

For clarification lets make our base of operations Kaufman TX and draw a 75 mile ring around it. That 75 mile ring would encompass the following clubs at a minimum.

First Sat is Texas Troublemakers

First Sat and Sunday is the Buck Creek Bandoleros

2nd Sat and Sunday is the Lone Star Frontier Shooting Club and The Oakwood Outlaws

3rd Sat and Sunday is the Old Fort Parker Patriots.

4th Saturday and Sunday is the Comanche Valley Vigilantes and the Texas Ten Horns for months that only have 4 full weekends

5th weekend for the months that have 5 full weekends is the Texas Ten Horns.

All of these fine clubs are within a 75 mile radius of Kaufman TX. I have no idea what living in Kaufman is like I just chose it because it was about the geographic center of the above clubs and has access to major N/S and E/W roads.

If one desired they could shoot with at least 7 different clubs just about every month of the year. There are also a few Wild Bunches matches available as well.

Someone familiar with the San Antonio, Austin, or Houston areas could do the same thing for the OP. I do not know where all the clubs in those areas are but am pretty sure you can cover most if not all weekends just as I have done above.

Thanks all for the suggestions, my wife and I haven't had the opportunity to visit Texas together yet, but you have given me some great suggestions for future winters. Florida is a bit far from our home in Alberta, besides you get all those lefty east coast Canadian snowbirds going there too! You know, the anti gunners! This year was our first year shooting outside of Phoenix , we shot in Lake Havasu(twice), Ben Avery(twice), Cowtown, Payson, and Casa Grande. 17 days shooting in 7 weeks, unfortunately my wife ran out of vacation time or we could have shot in Yuma also.

One of our main frustrations this year was getting up to date information from club websites on the internet. Some dates listed were annual dates and were put up 4 years before and others we couldn't even open up their schedule. With limited time we wanted to make dang sure it was going to happen, nothing more ridiculous than to drive 2 hours to find a match has been cancelled.

Atlanta GA.

Head due north and you have the River Bend Gun Club hosting the River Bend Rough Riders on the first Saturday. That's about 40 miles from downtown.

Head south, southwest and you have the Griffin Gun Club hosting Doc Holliday's Immortals on the second Saturday. That's about 30-40 miles from downtown.

Head south, southeast and you have the South River Gun Club hosting the South River Shootists on the third Saturday. That's about 30-40 miles from downtown.

Head north, northeast and you have the Cherokee Gun Club hosting the Cherokee Cowboys on the fourth Saturday. That's about 40 miles from downtown.

Here is a listing of Az monthly matches. http://www.ccsa-az.us/index.htm

The same info is on the SASS web site. Some of these clubs can not shoot in the winter because of weather. Others change hours in the summer to shoot early because of the heat. Most of the clubs have their web sites in the above listing.

Here is a listing of Az monthly matches. http://www.ccsa-az.us/index.htm

The same info is on the SASS web site. Some of these clubs can not shoot in the winter because of weather. Others change hours in the summer to shoot early because of the heat. Most of the clubs have their web sites in the above listing.

I went to that sight, that page was posted up years ago, it doesn't tell you if the information is current.

Dapper Dynamite Dick,

I don't recall seeing your name regularly at Cowtown or ACSA this past winter. It has been asked on this thread where did you stay in AZ? With Cowtown shooting 1st Sat. & 3rd Sunday each month and ACSA shooting 2nd Saturday each month there are 3 shoots a month right in the Phoenix area???? Our club, Whiskey Row Gunslingers shoots the 2nd Sunday each month, about a hour and 45 minutes from the Phoenix area. You also have Rio Salado, in Messa, Arizona Yavapai Rangers in Cottonwood, etc. I don't see what your issue is. As far as the Arizona clubs web site, that information get updated annually. The information is current. :blink::blink::blink:

TB

Match Director

Whiskey Row Gunslingers

Pescott, AZ

Sometimes he's more than a little Daff :blink::):P

Too many guns going off close to him or something me thinks :D:blink::wacko:

DDD you going ta be shooting "Catus Flats" in 2 weeks ?

Jabez Cowboy

I went to that sight, that page was posted up years ago, it doesn't tell you if the information is current.

most of the info is current, with a little effort you could have sent an email to cowtown to ask if it was current, or followed the links to any clubs listed on it and checked there websites. If you would have used the contact phone numbers on any of the local PHX websites, whoever answered would have been more than willing to talk to you and answer any questions you had. If you want information on any shooting in the area call me. My phone number is easy to find on the ACSAinc.com website. And you will also fine a "where to shoot" list on that website as well. And I know it was updated last year because I did it. The wild bunch at cowtown date is wrong, but everything else is right as of January.

If you have other reasons for not wanting to come to PHX, then that's cool just say so.... But don't blame lack of shooting I shoot COWBOY 3-6 times a month, and if I include USPSA, speed steel, and practical shotgun..... Well it's easy to shoot 4-5 times a week here. Add in the 3gun and practical rifle, you can honestly shoot every single day without driving more thann75 miles from central PHX!!!!!

Dapper Dynamite Dick,

I don't recall seeing your name regularly at Cowtown or ACSA this past winter. It has been asked on this thread where did you stay in AZ? With Cowtown shooting 1st Sat. & 3rd Sunday each month and ACSA shooting 2nd Sunday each month there are 3 shoots a month right in the Phoenix area???? Our club, Whiskey Row Gunslingers shoots the 2nd Sunday each month, about a hour and 45 minutes from the Phoenix area. You also have Rio Salado, in Messa, Arizona Yavapai Rangers in Cottonwood, etc. I don't see what your issue is. As far as the Arizona clubs web site, that information get updated annually. The information is current. :blink::blink::blink:

TB

Match Director

Whiskey Row Gunslingers

Pescott, AZ

Minor correction all mighty man of the blue stones.

ACSA shoots the second SATURDAY of the month

Amen!

Good job putting out this info Gawd Awful and Turquoise Bill.

Add to this and join Cowtown Cowboy Club and go there every day and use 10-12 stages to practice on as that's reward for joining a fantastic Cowboy action shooting club.

Albuquerque meets your criteria. But it's a smaller group of shooters at each than you find at the Phoenix metro area shoots. Phoenix is the KING of action shooting playgrounds. Around Cleburne Texas you can do a pretty good job of hitting something every weekend, too.

Better summers in Albuquerque. Best winters in Phoenix. Best rain in Cleburne. :lol:

Golf courses - Phoenix, all you can afford to go play on.. Finding a good low price course will be tough.

Albuquerque - a couple of very nice ones, several cheap ones, nice one in east mountains (45 minute drive) and another nice one in Farmington, 3 hours away

Cleburne - the FW/Dallas area has many from cheap to "why would the price matter?"

Good luck, GJ

Archived