SASS Wire Forum

Non CAS- hunting with a handgun

Hoss Notright SASS #60673

I have a S&W performance center 629 in 44 mag. I have topped it with a Vortex Razor red dot sight and I hope to use to hunt deer this year. Not sure what bullett. Maybe Hornady 240 gr. XTP or 225 gr. FTX. I think 75 - 100 yards would be my max distance. At what distance should I sight in? Dead on at 100 yards? 50 yards? How much hold over/hold under might I except at 25, 50, 75 yards if dead on at 100 yards. I have shot this at 25 yards but have yet to have the opportunity to stretch it out. Also, what would be the best type of holster set up for spot and stalk in the west?

I know that the only way to truly answer the sight in question is to spend time at the range but I was hoping to benefit from the experience of others to get me on the right track before heading out.

Hoss

I couldn't tell you about 44 mag as i really don't care for the cartridge. I've one gun in it but never shoot it.

For my dedicated hunting revolvers i site them in at a 75 yrds dead on.

My non dedicated guns i just practice different ranges a lot .

I shoot revolvers anywhere from 25' out to 200 yrds fairly regularly. About once a month out to 400 yrds

I don't use optics so again i couldn't be much help to you there

The XTP is a good choice, but after gutting several deer shot with them, they almost work too well. We are changing to the soft point to try it out. The 75 yd. advise is good. Then practice practice practice!

Starting out, I would sight in at 75 yards, then shoot at 25, 50, and 100 and see where it prints.

I've taken several deer and elk with handguns, including a couple of quite long shots for a conventional revolver, but have never lost an animal when using a handgun.

I took this little 3x3 mulie a couple hundred yards down below my house with a Freedom Arms M555 .50AE topped with a Leupold 2x pistol scope and a 350 grain cast GC bullet. I had shot this combination off the bench out to 150 yards with very good results and had a very solid prone position under perfectly ideal conditions, or I wouldn't have taken this shot. I lased him at 145 yards, he was walking straight away from me, and when I whistled, he stopped and looked off to his left, presenting only a head and upper neck shot. I took it, and severed the spine at the base of the skull.

MulieBuck10-28-06002.jpg

My other long shot was a cow elk in an open field below my house with a S&W .500 mag, 8 3/8" barrel, 4x Leupold, and the same 350 grain cast GC bullet as above. This one was a broadside body shot at about 160 yards, and required a coup de grâce when I walked up to her.

My most unconventional was a double tap to the heart/lung area with a Glock 26 9mm and Federal Hydrashoks at maybe 30 yards on a forkhorn mulie. I wasn't hunting, just driving home, hence just the G26.

You do want a bullet that will penetrate. Expansion is not as important as penetration for this. That is why the old timers recommended a plain, heavy semi-wadcutter lead bullet.

Look in your reloading manuals and you can get a good idea of the bullet curve from the ballistics charts. Then give it a try yourself. I would think going for 75 yards would give you a good start.

Starting out, I would sight in at 75 yards, then shoot at 25, 50, and 100 and see where it prints.

I've taken several deer and elk with handguns, including a couple of quite long shots for a conventional revolver, but have never lost an animal when using a handgun.

I took this little 3x3 mulie a couple hundred yards down below my house with a Freedom Arms M555 .50AE topped with a Leupold 2x pistol scope and a 350 grain cast GC bullet. I had shot this combination off the bench out to 150 yards with very good results and had a very solid prone position under perfectly ideal conditions, or I wouldn't have taken this shot. I lased him at 145 yards, he was walking straight away from me, and when I whistled, he stopped and looked off to his left, presenting only a head and upper neck shot. I took it, and severed the spine at the base of the skull.

MulieBuck10-28-06002.jpg

My other long shot was a cow elk in an open field below my house with a S&W .500 mag, 8 3/8" barrel, 4x Leupold, and the same 350 grain cast GC bullet as above. This one was a broadside body shot at about 160 yards, and required a coup de grâce when I walked up to her.

My most unconventional was a double tap to the heart/lung area with a Glock 26 9mm and Federal Hydrashoks at maybe 30 yards on a forkhorn mulie. I wasn't hunting, just driving home, hence just the G26.

Great shooting but the picture taken after a successful hunt is usually referred to as a " grip and GRIN " .

I took one this year with a 44 mag,,,, 240 gr soft point. about 60 yards.

google ballistic charts, there are several very good ones, punch in bullet, fps, and it will do the rest...

I shoot a 629 pc classic hunter 44 mag with 6in. barrel topped with a burris 2x equped 8in dot meant for bullseye. 429421 on top of a case full of 2400 hits a little high @50yds and just under @ 100yds. toppled young 4x4 at 130yds and a huge turkey at 60yds... awesome combo=== GW

There is a free ballistic calculator at Winchester.com. You can get sight-in information using it (or other ballistic software). I hunt javelina with a 240 grain soft point. These perform very well.

Lots of good advice above for sighting in.

It has been my experience, first with a Colt Anaconda w/ 8 3/8" barrel and now with a S&W 460 XVR w/ 8 3/8" barrel and red-dot scope, that a good chest rig is the only way to comfortably carry a large scoped handgun.

Deer, even mule deer aren't that hard to kill (not like a wild boar, elk, moose, bear). Expansion at close range, however, can tear up a lot of meat. For longer ranges you want a good ballistic coefficient so the bullet will carry and not be deflected as much by wind, though heavier bullets do have a greater drop. You probably want a 240 gr. bullet that doesn't expand quite as much as, say, a hollowpoint. Check the various bullet makers for their recommendations. Same with loads: check the handbooks (latest editions, as some recommended loads have changed).

Good hunting!

The one and only deer I've killed with a handgun was a fat three point muley I shot with a Ruger Super Blackhawk using the 240 grain Hornady XTP on top of a load of H110. I was using the factory iron sights, sighted dead on at 50 yards, and the deer was about 60 yards.

I use a 240 Gr. JHP Nosler #44842 over H110 @ a little over 1,500 fps. out of my Dan Wesson. The bullet doesn't mushroom as much as a Hornady XTP.

Sight in at 100 yds. and your good to go out to at least 125 yds. I haven't had the opportunity for a further shot.

My personal farthest shot on deer is 125 yds. same distance on several groundhogs.

I carry it in a cross draw holster now but I'd prefer something like a Bianchi 4101 Ranger HuSH Scoped.

Depending on the game, I have used the following calibers to hunt with: .44 Mag Redhawk 4 inch and Super Blackhawk 7.5 inches, 240 gr XTP. .41 Mag Blackhawk 4 5/8th, 210 gr XTP and lastly, Colt Python .357, 158 gr XTP @ 1250 FPS. All are shoulder holster carried, tanker style by EPS. My favorite, the .41, good to 100 yards, all are iron sighted no optics. My dream gun, a GP100, 5 shot .41 mag.....

Great advice above, I do go with sighting in a 75 yards and practice out to 125. But a lot depends on the range you know where you will be hunting at. Many areas a long shot is 30 yards, and some places out to 150. Know the area you are going and what kind of shot you may be taking. The Hornady 240gr XTP a very good one. I also use it in the 44mag TC 15" barrell.

Dump the red dot get a scope, something like the Nikon Force

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/Nikon-Products/Riflescopes/Force-XR-2.5-8x28-Matte-BDC.html

Has a bullet drop reticle that will will allow you to make clean ethical shots.

The XTP would work fine on deer.

Hoss, just bring your pistol out to the house. I have a five inch steel circle that we practice on, it's bright red and easy to see. My rule is "if you can't hit it consistently from various distances you can't hunt on the ranch". You should be able to harvest an antelope on our place. Number one thing when hunting with a gun or bow is being confident you can hit your target. Don't forget to get your hunting applications in early.

I've been hunting with a handgun for well over 40 years and I either use open sights or a red dot. I have used scopes but just have to much trouble locating game with the limited field of view. If I have to compensate for bullet drop the shot is to far for me to take which limits me to about 75-100 yards depending on the gun and caliber

Archived