SASS Wire Forum

What Do You Do With Unusable Guns?

Skid Roper

In the deep dark corner of the safe at my house sits a 12 ga from the Montgomery Ward catalog circa turn of the last century and a Buffalo brand 22 revolver. Neither of these guns are operable, nor are they worth fixing or keeping around for that matter.

What do you folks do when one of your old tools reaches the end of it's usefulness?

Gun parts places may be interested in them for parts. I've not had experience with them. The old Monkey Wards shotgun may be something for wall decoration. I remember Cracker Barrel haven't an old double hanging over the fireplace.

I've seen guns parted out on ebay. Of course, the receiver wouldn't be marketable on ebay. The shotgun maybe if somehow made non-firing.

I have an accumulation of odds and ends that I really need to dispose of also.

Are we talkin' 1900 or 2000? If the former... that old Monkey Wards gun may have been a Winchester or Remington, or Browning and parts are available to fix it... and while it may never have the resale value of the maker's branded shotgun... it might be more serviceable than you think. Many a farmer or rancher got their stuff via the catalog... I don't think there's a Ted Williams .30-30 out there that's any lesser quality than the Winchester that spawned it!

Donate the shotgun to a Hunter safety course for demonstration use,We used non usable long arms in the courses we gave for teaching how to safely carry while in the woods and such.

Are we talkin' 1900 or 2000? If the former... that old Monkey Wards gun may have been a Winchester or Remington, or Browning and parts are available to fix it... and while it may never have the resale value of the maker's branded shotgun... it might be more serviceable than you think. Many a farmer or rancher got their stuff via the catalog... I don't think there's a Ted Williams .30-30 out there that's any lesser quality than the Winchester that spawned it!

It's a single shot stamped excel if I remember right. I have a matching 16 ga which I still get out on occasion and it works great.

I think my grandpa or his father bought these in the 1910s or so.

As far as the 12ga, the stock has a crack started in it, the forearm grip is rotted inside and won't hold onto the barrel and the receiver and barrel barely hold together.

Not worth fixing in my book, nor is it much of a looker for hangin' on the wall.

Glad to have the 16 ga as a family heirloom of sorts, I take good care of it, but the 12 is shot.

If they absolutely cannot be repaired, I use them in my NRA pistol, rifle and shotgun courses.

I've got a half dozen junk guns patiently waiting for the next no questions asked gun buy back. I'll get a $100.00 for each one of them and go out and buy another gun.

I've got a half dozen junk guns patiently waiting for the next no questions asked gun buy back. I'll get a $100.00 for each one of them and go out and buy another gun.

Last time they tried to have one of those here in Colorado, it got cancelled:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/07/25/gun-buyback-canceled-because-new-gun-laws/

Whoops.

Turn 'em in for money at one of those no questions asked gun buy backs.

Not a good idea! Don't encourage these idiotic programs. Take 'em to a gun show someone will give something for 'em!

I've tried the gun store and gunshop route and they are not worth anything and if they'll give me a hundred bucks each I'll take it.

A lot of the money in buy back programs is donated. I kind of like the idea of getting money from an antigun group and buying guns/gunstuff with it.

A lot of the money in buy back programs is donated. I kind of like the idea of getting money from an antigun group and buying guns/gunstuff with it.

+1

The way I understand these things work they tend to go till they have used up their cash/gift cards etc, so by selling those vultures your old useless broken beyond repair equipment you assist with one other thing - maybe preventing someone from being ripped off by turning in a firearm they could get real money for from a gun store. I suspect they destroy stolen property when they do these things, so you would be helping to prevent that as well.

Rusty, there are two types of fokes doing this, the take advantage type who takes junkers in and the wanna feel all bubbly and warm about themselves type, who take grandpaws old pristeen engraved Colt down and with this individual it has nothing to do with the money or the community, it is about their vision of who they are. OH, I forgot the third type, he is the dangerous criminal who is letting the state get rid of evidence for him.

If you can't part them out and have no other way to get rid of them take them to your local police dept. and ask that they be destroyed

You can maybe donate them to a gunsmith school if they'll take 'em. It's worth a shot. (no pun intended) :lol:

Rusty, there are two types of fokes doing this, the take advantage type who takes junkers in and the wanna feel all bubbly and warm about themselves type, who take grandpaws old pristeen engraved Colt down and with this individual it has nothing to do with the money or the community, it is about their vision of who they are. OH, I forgot the third type, he is the dangerous criminal who is letting the state get rid of evidence for him.

I'm none of the above. If they want to give me a hundred bucks for a worthless piece of junk I'll take it. If it helps drain anti-gun buy back programs so much the better.

You can maybe donate them to a gunsmith school if they'll take 'em. It's worth a shot. (no pun intended) :lol:

+1

That's how I learned to do some stuff. Working on things nobody thought was worth saving.

I heard one guy saying that those are exactly the kinds if guns he keeps in a cheap gun safe in plain sight.

The crooks can have fun breaking into it (or just hauling it off) & not spend time looking for his real safe.

Or take them to your next shoot, if cheap enough, someone will want them for art or parts or projects.

(beginners gun engraving projects etc)

Next would be just strip all parts off the receivers, box them & put them on E-Bay starting at $5.00 (plus shipping)

The auction will be over in a week & they will be gone. Someone will buy them.

Don't have a old gun that's is whole that isn't usable I've got parts from a old mossberg that was found in the desert and a old 22 single shot that the rest was lost by a family member.

Try Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and A

They buy up old guns for parts. Yours just might have the parts someone needs to bring an old gun back to life.

I agree with those who would not support those stupid "Buy Back" programs.... it just adds Fodder to their misguided attempts to control our gun rights. I have and have seen some really good artwork made from old firearms. I have a really nice floor lamp made out of a old Rolling Block. It was made my California Joe, and I won it at the Western Regional. Without doubt it is now one of my favorite guns! If I had enough old, non serviceable guns, I think I would make a nice garden gate featuring them..... but the biggest problem is that I end up fixing most of the old guns that I come across.

Snakebite

I had a pistol that was not serviceable and was dangerous to shoot; it ended up in a bucket of concrete that I use as a boat anchor...

...I suggest that you give them to your local gun smith... he'll use them for parts...

...and shotgun-receiver/barrel fit-is just the hinge pins which can be fixed...

I occassionally purchase junk guns to have receiver and other parts to practice engraving on. However I don't pay much recently gave $10.00 for a messed up double just to have the receiver to practice on.

Kind of have to agree with Phantom, hang em up for décor and great stories, just remember your Grandpa or great grandpa had them and no amount of money you might get can ever replace that. I have an old arisaka Japanese rifle that my Grand dad brought back from WW2, my uncle chopped the crap out of it cut the stock, barrel etc. not worth fixing back to original condition. it would cost way more to fix than it would be worth if it could be returned to original condition, but Grandpa held it and brought it back from the war! worth more to me than any $100 I could ever get and I will be passing it down to my son.

Rafe

I HAVE 1 that is not in shooting condition. My grandfathers double barrel shotgun. The lock up is loose and the right side hammer falls if you blow on it. I shot in frequently as a boy....... 45 years ago. I've thought about taking it to Lassiter to see if he could get it working. I would enjoy shooting black in it!

Archived