SASS Wire Forum

reloading pistol on clock

diablo slim

I know if you jack a round out of your rifle accidentally you can reload on the clock .

Can you save your clean match by replacing a bad round in your pistol on the clock? :unsure: :unsure:

At our monthly shoots about 10 years ago or so (when I first started), used to have a pistol reload on the clock once in awhile. Havn't done one in a long time.....thankfully!

A pistol reload can be accomplished quite quickly, if you know what you are doing.

I believe Long Hunter has a video showing his method. With a bit of practice, It should become easy enough for most shooters.

RBK

I don't see why you would be prohibited from doing so................it would be time consuming. Would a clean match be that important?

Four or five years ago, "Gunsmoke," Minnesota State Championship, stage 12. Next to last round in 2nd revolver misfired. Went all the way around, still no bang. Declared the round dead, grounded gun, finished with shotgun, went dejectedly to unloading table with my only miss of the shoot, UTO asked why I didn't reload, and the light bulb went on... As an ROII, I knew the rule, just got caught up in the moment. YES, the clean match would have been that important - I'd already blown the time by going around again, could have salvaged something worthwhile!

CS

Had a high primer tie up second pistol after second shot, handed it off to the TO. Pulled first revolver and reloaded 3 rounds and completed the stage. Got my clean match, was amazed at the amount of shooters who did not know they could do this.

I know if you jack a round out of your rifle accidentally you can reload on the clock .

Can you save your clean match by replacing a bad round in your pistol on the clock?

:unsure: :unsure:

YES.

REF: "Shooter's Choice" p.2

Roll cylinder to empty chamber. Insert reload, roll cylinder four ratchet clicks, cock and fire. LH teaches this and practices it a lot. It can be done in under two and a half seconds if you try real hard. Perfectly legal. Why would anyone consider it illegal?

Good luck, GJ

Roll cylinder to empty chamber. Insert reload, roll cylinder four ratchet clicks, cock and fire. LH teaches this and practices it a lot. It can be done in under two and a half seconds if you try real hard. Perfectly legal. Why would anyone consider it illegal?

Good luck, GJ

Here's Long Hunter's video on how to do it. With a free spinning cylinder it can be even quicker:

Happened today at Comancheria Days. That quick nimble Walter Durbin realized one pistol had a bad round. Flipped it open inserted round in empty chamber, spun it the cylinder, poped the shot off and was done. Pretty nicely done.

Potential livin legend.

Admittedly, never had to do it nor needed to, but would be worth trying.

only if a live round is under the hammer....

I presume that still having a live round in the pistol you still have to leave it on the table...or a stage/match DQ if reholstered?

only if a live round is under the hammer....

What PB said.

Best practice would be to call "bad gun" and ground it. Pull previously fired gun and reload it. If there was a squib instead of a bad primer, there could be a bad outcome by reloading the gun with problem.

I presume that still having a live round in the pistol you still have to leave it on the table...or a stage/match DQ if reholstered?

I'm not clear on why you'd have a live round left in the gun. Load five, fire five with one miss. Load one more, fire it. All the rounds in the gun should have been fired by then.

(I'm new, so I'm trying to learn. Not trying to be difficult.)

A clean match at an State Match or Regional is important to me. (we all play the game differently... different strokes) On the last stage of a State Match that I was shooting clean, I had a bad percussion cap. Pulled it off, put another one on, spun the cylinder and popped that target! Yeah, it took me extra time, but since I'm usually on the back page of the results, why not?

Saw it happen in a shoot; last shot of the pistol string failed to fire. Shooter didn't have an extra on his person; the miss would cost him a clean match. TO told him to ground his pistols and go to his cart to get the reload. Shooter did so, reloaded, and hit the correct target for a clean match. To him the time wasn't as important as shooting the match clean.

Had a guy at a Regional Match who's first round out of his first pistol (no it was not the first round of the stage) was a squib. He holstered that pistol, shot the other dry, emptied it, reloaded it and shot the rest of the pistol sequence. Won Spirit of the Game by everyone who saw/heard about it.

Sparky, you can't reload a pistol to make up a miss but if the pistol can only fire 4, due to bad round i.e. primer not going pop, you can stuff a round in the empty chamber and shoot. Once the hammer has been dropped on the replacement round, and it went bang, there is no live round left under the hammer and you can holster it.

Note: if you have a squib you don't want to load a sixth round in that gun and go bang but can load the sixth in the other pistol to make it go bang for potentially clean pistol sequence.

I used to have a speed key as an avatar but only a couple of guys got it. Good looking key on yours.

Wolverton Mountain had a stage yesterday that had 5 Rifle reloads and 1 pistol. I've done rifle ones before but never a pistol. It was interesting. Slow but interesting.

I used to have a speed key as an avatar but only a couple of guys got it. Good looking key on yours.

Thanks. That's just a stock photo, although I do have a WWII era J-38. It's just not that nice looking. Ditto for the bug on my shelf. You a ham?

our Veteran shooter,Washougal Will has a wall full of clean match awards,they are what he can do,so it's important to him. Heck,I'll be delighted ! if I"m still shooting matches at 82 !

anyway,he had ammo problems a month ago and had to do some reloading to save his clean match. So yes,it's been done,and will be again ...especially now that I know we can do it !! :)

you can't reload a pistol to make up a miss but if the pistol can only fire 4, due to bad round i.e. primer not going pop, you can stuff a round in the empty chamber and shoot.

Actually there is one time you can reload to make up a miss. Here's a quote from page 15 # 9 of the SASS RO I manual.

"If a firearm is shot out of sequence or from the wrong position or location, the shooter will be

awarded a single procedural penalty. In this situation, if the shooter elects or is forced to

miss an appropriate target due to unsafe angles or target availability, a round may be reloaded

to avoid a miss penalty (the dreaded “Double Jeopardy” of a procedure and miss). This does

not mean a shooter may reload a rifle or revolver at any other time to make up a miss.

Unfired ejected rifle rounds may be replaced."

I've seen this done a few time by folks who know the rules, in one case it was a gunfighter and he reloaded both revolvers.

Grey Beard

I don't see why you would be prohibited from doing so................it would be time consuming. Would a clean match be that important?

Yep. I was at Winter Range this year and was shooting clean up to the next to the last stage. 1st pistol had a high primer on the 3rd shot then a dead one on the third with two rounds to go and the gun locked up. I kicked out the high primer and the dead round, reloaded and continued. Ended up shooting clean at Winter Range the hard way. So yeah, it was important at least to me.

Boothill

From the Shooter's Handbook"

• “Duelist Style” is defined as shooting a revolver cocked and fired one handed, unsupported.

The revolver, hand, or shooting arm may not be touched by the off hand except when

resolving a malfunctioning revolver problem or when transferring the revolver from one

hand to the other.

Using the method shown in the Longhunter video to compensate for an unfired round, does the duelist have to be careful just how much they do with the off hand?

Or, are they protected by the "when resolving a malfunctioning revolver problem" clause?

If in the video they have to put it on half cock to load as Long Hunter shows.

They can use two hands for that as he does in the video.

Just that they have to finish cocking it and fire with one hand.

If in the video they have to put it on half cock to load as Long Hunter shows.

They can use two hands for that as he does in the video.

Just that they have to finish cocking it and fire with one hand.

Thanks Al;

I tried it with my Vaqueros. It seemed very natural(with the gun in my right hand) to use my right thumb to open the gate, but my left thumb to close it. That seemed to be allowable.

I was not so sure about doing it with Colts which seemed to make more sense to move the hammer to the first notch with the off hand. I thought that might raise a few eyebrows.

Shame on anyone for having a high primer how do you not spin your cylinders at the loading table and catch a high primer?

I always spin it. But the primer backed out AFTER it went bang because I didn't pay enough attention with my QC check and it didn't have enough powder in it to generate the needed pressure to set the primer back upon discharge. OOOOPS!

Archived