SASS Wire Forum

Over shot card for blackpowder shotshells? Yes or No

I have never used an over shot card for loading blackpowder shot shells but have some left from my muzzleloader I sold and was wondering if it is worth using them up on my shotshells or not. And advantage or disadvantage to using a shot card. Thanks, DC Not using brass shells.

Hey DC:

I use them in mine.

That way if the crimp comes open or something else happens, they work just fine.

I use 14 gauge overshot cards in my 12 gauge loads -- easier to put them in.

--Dawg

I do only because somebody gave me something like 6000, 20 gauge overshot cards so I am doing it to use them up

Hey DC:

I use them in mine.

That way if the crimp comes open or something else happens, they work just fine.

--Dawg

+1 I use them for the exact same reason.

Yes, I use them.

Because my standard load does not quite fill up the hull, and my crimp would be a bit concave with a hole in the middle without them. With the card the crimp is level and no shot can escape out of the hole.

I use brass 10 gauge shells. I use overshot wads because I do not want to shorten their life by crimping them.

I use brass 10 gauge shells. I use overshot wads because I do not want to shorten their life by crimping them.

I really like the brass shells but they do not seem to work out with my 87 but work great in any of my SXS hammered shotguns. Look good and are great fun to shoot with. DC

I use over shot cards for the same reason DJ stated. However, I use 1/2 inch square cards I make instead of purchasing round cards.

I use two. One over the powder so it does not burn up the fiber wads and one over the shot so the hull closes tightly

I do for the same reasons Driftwood and Mr. Canby.

They can be handy if your shot column is a bit short and you need some filler. If everything is exactly right then they aren't necessary. Never personally had a plastic shell open up on me, but them I only use my BP shells once, then toss.

Thanks again for the imput. Once I find where I filed the over shot cards I may just have to try it and see what works. Ofcourse that could take awhile. Great filing system, sometimes. DC

Yes, I use them.

Because my standard load does not quite fill up the hull, and my crimp would be a bit concave with a hole in the middle without them.

This is the way I load black powder and substitute shotgun shells: When the shot, wad(s), and powder fill the hull so that the crimp is just slightly concave the crimp can not relax and open up and is providing the needed resistance to get the powder burning correctly. The crimp does more then just hold the shot from spilling out. This is the way factory shell crimps look. ( They are not level from my perception. )

, but them I only use my BP shells once, then toss

I load the STS hulls 6 to 8 times with 777 FFG.

Fordyce

Hey DC:

I use them in mine.

--Dawg

Me too and for the same reason.

No, if I am using plastic wads and 1 ounce of shot.

Yes, if I am using felt wads, 7/8 ounce of shot and want to maintain a tight shot column.

Yes, if I am loading for my original Remington 1878 Lifter SxS: Remington STS cut back 3/8", felt wad, overpowder wad, over-shot wad held in place with hot glue.

I do not like cleaning full-brass shells. I surrender my STS hulls to this cut load when they start getting small cracks around the crimp.

Archived