SASS Wire Forum

Requests to Posse With.....

Complicated Lady

A thread on the Wire got me to thinkin'

There are times we would like to posse with someone but not sure if they would feel the same way.

I wouldn't want to put someone on the spot by asking.

Obviously these are folks we consider friends but being friendly at a match and wanting to posse together do not always go together. Have you ever hestitated to make a posse request because you aren't sure if the other folks feel the same?

We definitely have a short list of favorite Posse Marshals. They are the folks that are the perfect blend of safe and serious and fun. They view the game the same way we do.

The other side of that....

I have never made a written request to NOT posse with someone but I have quietly mentioned it to the posse makers.

There is one gentleman who I will not allow to time me ever again. I like the guy okay, but after he physically pushed me and yelled, "go, go, they're down!" while I was trying to knock down a shotgun target that was still UP and the spotters were saying, "Still up!".... never again.

There is another gentleman I won't posse with again because he is the self appointed "Loading Table Police" and thinks it is only safe for ONE person to load at a time. He wouldn't even let the next shooter put their guns on the table until the first shooter is called to the line. I don't like to be rushed when I load. After I load I like to mentally shoot the stage one last time.

The shooters who think it's funny to take as long as possible to shoot a stage.... rather not posse with them either. I'm not talking about slow folks. I have no problem with slow folks. I'm one of them! I'm talking about those who think it's funny to shoot one pistol then stop and say "So I wonder what's for lunch?" then shoot the other pistol and stop and say, "I guess y'all have time to take a nap while I walk over to the shotgun".... That gets old after a couple of stages. Enough already! Just shoot the stage.

After reading what I just wrote... some may think I'm a "hard ass"

I hope not.

Usually, the only person who I will ask to be posseed with is Buick, and we kinda hafta since we share a gun cart. Grizzly Dave has indicated that he wouldn't mind posseing with us for the Shootout at Pawnee Station, and we are honored that he said so. Other than that, there's people I prefer to shoot with, but won't make a big deal about it if I can't (there's always next time), and there are only two people (a couple) that I flat out will not shoot with. But fortunately for me, they only shoot 1 place, all I have to do is not go there, which is perfectly fine with me. That club don't need one cent of my money as long as they allow those two people, who are two of the rudest, most insulting jerks I've had the misfortune to ever met, to treat people as badly as they do.

And then there's all the people that I've met in the Saloon that I hope to get the chance to posse with someday...... :D:D:D

There are times we would like to posse with someone but not sure if they would feel the same way.

Obviously these are folks we consider friends but being friendly at a match and wanting to posse together do not always go together. Have you ever hestitated to make a posse request because you aren't sure if the other folks feel the same?

We definitely have a short list of favorite Posse Marshals. They are the folks that are the perfect blend of safe and serious and fun. They view the game the same way we do.

I have never made a written request to NOT posse with someone but I have quietly mentioned it to the posse makers.

There is one gentleman who I will not allow to time me ever again. I like the guy okay, but after he physically pushed me and yelled, "go, go, they're down!" while I was trying to knock down a shotgun target that was still UP and the spotters were saying, "Still up!".... never again.

There is another gentleman I won't posse with again because he is the self appointed "Loading Table Police" and thinks it is only safe for ONE person to load at a time. He wouldn't even let the next shooter put their guns on the table until the first shooter is called to the line. I don't like to be rushed when I load. After I load I like to mentally shoot the stage one last time.

The shooters who think it's funny to take as long as possible to shoot a stage.... rather not posse with them either. I'm not talking about slow folks. I have no problem with slow folks. I'm one of them! I'm talking about those who think it's funny to shoot one pistol then stop and say "So I wonder what's for lunch?" then shoot the other pistol and stop and say, "I guess y'all have time to take a nap while I walk over to the shotgun".... That gets old after a couple of stages. Enough already! Just shoot the stage.

I hope not.

CL....the easiest way to not be one is to eat plenty of lard and fatty foods...you'll be or have a soft ass in no time :P

Usually, the only person who I will ask to be posseed with is Buick, and we kinda hafta since we share a gun cart. Grizzly Dave has indicated that he wouldn't mind posseing with us for the Shootout at Pawnee Station, and we are honored that he said so. Other than that, there's people I prefer to shoot with, but won't make a big deal about it if I can't (there's always next time), and there are only two people (a couple) that I flat out will not shoot with. But fortunately for me, they only shoot 1 place, all I have to do is not go there, which is perfectly fine with me. That club don't need one cent of my money as long as they allow those two people, who are two of the rudest, most insulting jerks I've had the misfortune to ever met, to treat people as badly as they do.

And then there's all the people that I've met in the Saloon that I hope to get the chance to posse with someday...... :D:D:D

Let me git dis straight Calico.............Ya want to posse wif me ? Is dat what yur asayin' ? :blink::blink::blink:

I feel that way all the time. That is one reason I normally only put down to posse with the wife.

Except for EOT. But know before hand that the Gang from the Bar 3 was all going to shoot together.

There has been a few that I put DO NOT posse with.. But not very many.

And like you. I do have my favorite TO's and PM's. And I have timed when I shot as to avoid someone on the timer.

Once I even asked someone to pass the timer off when it was my time to shot.

And one time as a TO myslef. I laid the timer down and walked off when a certon person came up to shot. That time he

had a hard time finding someone to pick it up. As ALL HIS problems was ALWAYS someone elses falt.

But CL. I will posse with you and PC and the young ones of yours any time.

We agree and disagree.

A thread on the Wire got me to thinkin' There are times we would like to posse with someone but not sure if they would feel the same way. I wouldn't want to put someone on the spot by asking. Obviously these are folks we consider friends but being friendly at a match and wanting to posse together do not always go together. Have you ever hestitated to make a posse request because you aren't sure if the other folks feel the same?

Nope, if they don't want to shoot with me, they probably said do not posse with that Okie A-hole.

Same with me and Dynamite. Folks rush to fill up my posse, while others rush to fill his up. We are not one big blended blob of cowboy shooters. We all have our styles, and some folks mesh well, some not so well. No big deal.

I have never made a written request to NOT posse with someone but I have quietly mentioned it to the posse makers. There is one gentleman who I will not allow to time me ever again. I like the guy okay, but after he physically pushed me and yelled, "go, go, they're down!" while I was trying to knock down a shotgun target that was still UP and the spotters were saying, "Still up!".... never again.

I give everybody a second chance. We all have a bad hair day.

This is inappropriate and would not be allowed at our club, period. I've got your back here. You should take this to the MD.

If that is their shtick, let them enjoy themselves. Take off your cranky pants.

I hope not.

Your personality. Agree with some, don't agree with some. And the world still spins, caring less what we think.

I can't figure out why everybody wants to posse with me?

Could it be;

1. My lighting fast shooting, with deadly accurate results?

2. My brilliance and quick understanding of the target layout?

3. My state of the art costume and attire?

4. My immaculate hygiene and clean masculine fragrance?

5. My rugged manly looks and strong physical appearance?

6. All of the above?

I didn't think you felt like that about Belle and I, we won't be shooting at the Pawnee annual shoot. Therefore, you are safe to shoot there.

We'll let you know where we go shooting so we won't upset you and Buick.

:):)

Lightnin' and Belle

Say "hey" to Buick for us!

NO WAY am I talking about you and Belle, you should know Buick and I would posse with you two anytime! Belle is one of my heroes! Any chance of draggin' you down to Lake George, it's only about a 4 hour drive each way fer ya! :D:D

Hey CL remember not to posse with me. I'm one of those that likes to take their time. I have managed to come in last at every shoot but one last year and that was because a shooter droped a unloaded gun. After reloading all that ammo with black powder and driving and then paying my fee to shoot I sure am going to take my time. I on the other hand can't understand why someone would want to hurry up, finish and get off stage.

At important shoots I usually ask to posse with A & B because i trust them and know that it will be a good posse, with good spotters and workers. I hate to say it but it does make a difference on your outcome at a match.

CPBC

Hats off to all those who put big shoots together. First couple of years I did fill in the "posse with." Then I realized that I could make their job easier by leaving it blank.

I rarely ask to posse with anyone other than my own family. If I do make a request and it doesn't work out I'm still okay. I been involved with making posses and trying to make everyone happy. It's tough...and some get down right hateful about it.

If I make a request it is usually because I want to shoot with someone who I consider a mentor and/or very patient with me...coaching me, encouraging me.

Prescott Palmer....

I want everyone to enjoy shooting a match.... and what that means is different for everyone. Just because I find it slightly irritating for someone to try to take as long as possible to shoot a stage while I want to shoot faster everytime I shoot.... doesn't mean we can't get along.... we just don't view "enjoy shooting a match" the same way. The first couple of years I shot I was tickled to shoot a stage in under 80 seconds. Now I get excited if I shoot a stage in the low 30s....and you should see me if I dip into the 20s....YeeHaw!

Take as long as you want to shoot YOUR stage... while you are the shooter, you own the stage... just don't expect everyone on the posse to think it's funny.

One of the reasons this bothers me so much is because I've shot on a posse that had several shooters like this and every other posse had finished lunch while we were still trying to finish shooting the match. It wasn't funny anymore.

Let me git dis straight Calico.............Ya want to posse wif me ? Is dat what yur asayin' ? :blink::blink::blink:

Nope she means she absolutely does NOT want to posse with me :(

Yes, there are some people I don't want to posse with based on a number of reasons including their actions as TO, PM, counter, whatever. Some people just don't work at all and I prefer not to shoot with them either. If you have some type of disability that makes it difficult for you to do a job such as count, find some other job you CAN do such as loading or unloading table, pick up brass, etc. Unfortunately almost no one wants to be on a posse with one individual that never works at all so sometimes he ends up on our posse no matter what we do. It is then very frustrating to me and makes the day less enjoyable not to mention more tiring since the rest of us have to work harder because he doesn't.

After almost getting a match DQ at EoT because of an incompetent posse member that did a lousy job of trying to hand me both a loaded rifle and a shotgun at the same time causing the loaded rifle to slide to the floor of the raised stage, I prefer to posse with people I trust. Her answer was "We always hand up both the rifle and shotgun at the same time at my home club." Too bad. She wasn't watching what she was doing (too busy yacking with other posse members and not watching what she was doing) or she would have seen I could only take one gun at a time, and besides no one should trust that people can receive both the rifle and shotgun at the very same moment, even if their home club members do. Luckily the PM ruled in my favor.

As for personality disagreements, yes there are a couple of people I refuse to be on a posse with based on previous disagreements and bad behavior. If necessary, to avoid conflict if I can't move to another posse, I'll just refuse to shoot. I know that I'm the one losing out, but that is better than getting in an argument and/or feeling miserable the whole time I'm shooting. Not to mention that it messes with my mind so I shoot even worse/slower than normal.

I can't figure out why everybody wants to posse with me?

Could it be;

1. My lighting fast shooting, with deadly accurate results?

2. My brilliance and quick understanding of the target layout?

3. My state of the art costume and attire?

4. My immaculate hygiene and clean masculine fragrance?

5. My rugged manly looks and strong physical appearance?

6. All of the above?

How about 8 . At least they know they wont come in last on the posse :)

At important shoots I usually ask to posse with A & B because i trust them and know that it will be a good posse, with good spotters and workers. I hate to say it but it does make a difference on your outcome at a match.

CPBC

Makes a good point, but after years of encountering consistent bad spotters, or use other spotters to make their decision, and shooters that avoid posse duties, the list would be long, Can you imagine all of these being together on one posse?

I remember years ago, large match, a first timer to a large match. I was at loading table. The first timer had a problem with his rifle, was going not to be first or win the Cadillac, just wanted to shoot clean. Last stage, was shooting clean up till. Cleared his rifle, and lost were he was to shoot next. Asked several times "were next", no one answered, finally a spotter said shoot target so-so. After string, they awarded him a "P" for shooting the rifle sequence out of order. There went his clean match. Hasn't shot a big match above monthly since. Go figure! MT

I sometimes wonder if folks think I'm shirking posse duties when I'm taking videos. When needed I will spot, ,,work, the tables even run the timer or pick brass, but I spend far more time with the camera than posse chores and have gone entire matches without doing any.

Other times I know that at least some appreciate what I do, at an annual one lady told me that I worked harder than anyone else on the posse as I was walking the stage for every shooter as I took video.

I sometimes wonder if folks think I'm shirking posse duties when I'm taking videos. When needed I will spot, ,,work, the tables even run the timer or pick brass, but I spend far more time with the camera than posse chores and have gone entire matches without doing any.

Other times I know that at least some appreciate what I do, at an annual one lady told me that I worked harder than anyone else on the posse as I was walking the stage for every shooter as I took video.

I cannot imagine anyone thinking you don't do your share. Kinda makes my blood boil to even think about it.

Many times the only way to see (and improve) what you are doing is to have someone else video you to identify issues in one's shooting. I know I have benefited from your efforts.

You do that for many, many, many people, take your own time to edit and post them and I have never heard you once ask for a penney for all that work.

And on top of all that you manage to find time to pull targets, grab brass or haul it back to the unloading table as often as anyone else.

Don't worry pard, you are one to ride the river with and I would be proud to posse up with you anytime.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I cannot imagine anyone thinking you don't do your share. Kinda makes my blood boil to even think about it.

Many times the only way to see (and improve) what you are doing is to have someone else video you to identify issues in one's shooting. I know I have benefited from your efforts.

You do that for many, many, many people, take your own time to edit and post them and I have never heard you once ask for a penney for all that work.

And on top of all that you manage to find time to pull targets, grab brass or haul it back to the unloading table as often as anyone else.

Don't worry pard, you are one to ride the river with and I would be proud to posse up with you anytime.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

+1 what GK said! Have Buick and I ever turned down the chance to posse with you???

Archived