SASS Wire Forum

No Noose is Good Noose in Albuquerque...?

Sorry... couldn't resist. :rolleyes:

The "Offensive" Logo

The Noose is Out article

Perish the thought that criminals should have their tender feelings bruised... -_-

Sorry... couldn't resist. :rolleyes:

The "Offensive" Logo

The Noose is Out article

Perish the thought that criminals should have their tender feelings bruised... -_-

+1

another step along the path from "America the land of the Free and home of the Brave" to "America the land of the easily offended"

Sadly

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Judge Parker of the olden days wood look dem in da eye and say, "Talk let dat son will git you next real quick !"

Sorry BH...........I just couldn't resist ! ! !

I remember my grandpa saying 'some people are alive simply cause its again' the law to shoot em'.

Now I ask y'all??? Who would be offended against that statement??? :blink:

Tascosa (who is offended occasionally but dont give a darn)

PS.. Maybe people that need shooting would be offended but who cares?

Likely some professional victims started crying about it being racist and inciting lynch mobs against blacks.

Probably more whites were hung than black folks anyway...hanging has been used in the death penalty, military, and frontier justice....

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Probably more whites were hung than black folks anyway...hanging has been used in the death penalty, military, and frontier justice....

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Yeah, but remember, to the professional, perpetual victims who work the system everything is passed through their racism polarizer unit. Whites can NEVER be victims. Just ask our AG.

APD Cmdr. Doug West says "I'm not a Knot expert" and just sees a rope. Anyone growing up in the USA knows a Hangmans' noose when they see one. I can understand 20 years of it's OK, now it's not. This guy is just flat out lying to cover his butt.

Jake

Maybe that's why my pickup ain't never been broke into......got a 1/4" nylon string that I tied a Hangman's Knot into and hung from the rearview mirror.

Have the pickup backed into the drive facing the street, too.

APD Cmdr. Doug West says "I'm not a Knot expert" and just sees a rope. Anyone growing up in the USA knows a Hangmans' noose when they see one. I can understand 20 years of it's OK, now it's not. This guy is just flat out lying to cover his butt.

Jake

Ya know, Jake, that statement struck me differently. Realizing that there wasn't a thing he could do about the situation, I can see the man saying that - knowing exactly what a noose is - with a subtle undercurrent of wry sarcasm... all the while thinkin' "You dumb$*t BHL's*!"

*Bleeding Heart Liberals

This is a quote from the article in the Albuquerque newspaper that was linked to earlier.

“It’s culturally insensitive at best,” attorney Shannon Kennedy said. “For them to say that it’s just a rope shows willful ignorance. It speaks directly to the cultural problem within this police department and encourages a gang-like, us-vs.-them mentality instead of service to the public.”

That's the kind of statements they keep making, and nobody ever calls them out on it. They're lumping the gangs and the public together, which is absolutely incorrect and nobody notices. The cops are supposed to be against the gangs, which is exactly the way that this particular unit is serving the public. Later in the article it does say two officers in this unit were fired for excessive force, but from what I know most gang units are doing a tough job and doing it very well.

Lawyers say what they think will get them the most customers in the future, and probably more people were hanged by a catch rope than a hangmans noose back in those days. No one is offended by the catch rope on my saddle. And if they are... guess what? Tough doo doo!

Tascosa

I am professional offender. Any one need offending? I specialize in religion, politics, and symbols. Rates are $10 for first offense, $50 for the second offense, and if you really need to be offended, the rate is $100 for a third offense.

I am professional offender. Any one need offending? I specialize in religion, politics, and symbols. Rates are $10 for first offense, $50 for the second offense, and if you really need to be offended, the rate is $100 for a third offense.

I'll give you two bits to offend Badlands Bob. :blush:

I'll give you two bits to offend Badlands Bob. :blush:

over paying there aren't you OKie :lol: :lol:

Perhaps we afficianados of the old west understand that a noose was used for legal hangings as well as for the more recent racist lynchings that occurred throughout the south. The general public does not. A police unit whose assignment is to take on gangs that are often composed of minorities could certainly do better than to choose a symbol that to many people does signify racial violence. This isn't merely liberal crap, this is having respect for fellow Americans and their history and feelings.

It is easy to write it off as liberal/PC BS, but our police force should be respectful of the citizens. Treating others with respect is the Cowboy way. is it not?

I wear a hangman's noose every time I wear my prison stripes at shoots. I've worn it to every EOT I've attended since 2004 and a few conventions. I don't think I've offended anyone. (maybe everyone was afraid to approach a crazy person) :o

TF

Mark Flint, I don't know where you hail from but I wish you would come spend about a week with me in the southern state of Louisiana.

I'm white and a former Police Officer of 15 years until I became fed up with all the rules we had to police by while the gangs ran free and did anything they wanted to us and the citizens of our town.

It reminds me of the Vietnam war and the so called DMZ.How in the hell can you allow the guy on the other side to do what he wants while you are tied down with a set of rules.

I served as a Narcotics Agent for seven years and we had a syringe and a 357 crossed in the center of our badge on our raid jackets. We had a addict of many arrest and crimes try to have that emblem removed because he said that it inferred that we are going to shoot all addicts.

Nothing of the sort was intended. It was instead to show that we were going to use what force was needed to take drugs from our streets.

As far as the hangings in the country go; that was a bad time indeed but when are those persons going to stop demanding that we are doing things to offend them.

I'm offended every time I see a black person wearing a red or blue bandanna. What are my chances of having that stopped. They will kill you at the drop of a hat for doing nothing other than being white. Where are Jesse Jackson and his sidekicks when that happens?

We have a string of crimes going on at this time that is a gang of blacks beating on white people; so why can't we be offended.

The crimes they keep preaching about took place over 50 years ago but the ones I'm speaking of are right at this time.

Why don't the blacks march and ask all the black men who impregnate women and then have all the working people of all colors pay for the children for the years to come.

The blacks who live in the neighbor hoods are even crying to get out. They say they have to listen to gunfire every night and have bullets coming through their homes. They just had a 7 year old killed a few weeks back from stray bullets.

Come live in the real world and see if they are being offended.

Sometimes the gallows humor should stay in the locker room....

Yup. Kinda stupid.

J. Mark: I think I'm in your camp.

This is tough; for some folks, images count more than actual intent. For blacks who lived through the Jim Crow era, the noose became an emblem of everything that was ruthless, racist and terrorizing. I don't feel that way about it, but then I was not in the targeted group. To quote a fellow who commented on it just a few years ago:

"displaying [a noose] is not a harmless prank. And lynching is not a word to be mentioned in jest. As a civil society, we must understand that noose displays and lynching jokes are deeply offensive. They are wrong. And they have no place in America today."

Recognize it? G. W. Bush.

There are plenty of emblems that can be adopted to emphasize relentless pursuit and prosection of real criminals, without using one that carries racist and violent baggage. Their intent may have been pure, but the image was out of place.

LL

Symbols like a noose, skull and crossbones and snarling animals are fine for military units. Not for civilian law enforcement. I have never supported the militarization of the police.

Do they sometimes need better weaponry to outfight the bad guys? Yes.

Do they need deadly imagery to instill fear into the hearts of the criminals? No.

The public sees these same symbols and wonder if they are meant for them as well.

It's pointless. If it's needed to keep the morale of the young officers up, they need to seek another profession imho.

Even though I understand the mindset of those gang and SWAT units who are engaged in perhaps the most dangerous realm of police work, it's important not to lose perspective of what is the primary mission of the police. It's not the same as the military.

If we lose sight of that, society suffers.

"The ability of the police to perform their duties is dependent upon public approval of police actions."

Sir Robert Peel - 1829

I couldn't read the entire article without participating the in their marketing quiz, so maybe I've missed something. Regardless, I wonder why they chose the noose in the first place? Why not an electric chair, gas chamber or firing squad? Sort of a grisly image for a unit sworn to protect the public. I find any imagery of final judgement connected to a police department in poor taste and a little disturbing. <_<

I do live in the real world. As an attorney I have dealt with criminals of all races and backgrounds. I grew up in Birmingham, Alabama and Memphis, Tennessee. There were severe problems with race relations when we left Birmingham. I remember when Dr. King was murdered blocks from my father's work.

If you can explain to me how having a hangman's noose as a symbol for the department makes doing their job safer or more efficient in any manner. . . well you either get my point or not.

Minorities may make up a disproportionate portion of the criminals you deal with, but the majority are still law abiding and . . . can you believe it . . . just like the rest of us. Being respectful of their rights is still the right thing to do.

I respect your job and the difficulty that can be involved in carrying it out. But I suspect you live as far out of the real world as I do. No offense intended, just doing that type of work influences your thought process significantly.

I'm tired of poor race relations. I want my children to grow up in a world where the color of skin is not an important issue in judging a person. I can't change it alone, but I can make a difference by doing what is right and encouraging others to do so.

Archived