SASS Wire Forum

To all of those ignorant hillbillies

Dirty Dan Dawkins

Krazy Kajun, I know you will understand.

People harass me for calling an engine an engine and motor a motor. Us skilled trades folk in the electrical industry are just that way.

So here goes:

A motor converts electricity or other forms of kinetic energy into a mechanical motion.

An engine is a mechanical device that uses a fuel source to create an output.

There.

I'm done explaining this.

So why do they call them motorcars?

So....a motor is a type of engine (fuel = electricity, output = mechanical motion), but an engine is not a motor? My poor old brain can't remember much from guided missile school other than if you screw up the missile you're likely to get a 230 grain (before they switched to that 9mm crap) lead injection.

People harass me for calling an engine an engine and motor a motor. Us skilled trades folk in the electrical industry are just that way.

So here goes:

A motor converts electricity or other forms of kinetic energy into a mechanical motion.

There.

That's how I have always understood it too

In the machine tool industry all prints that I have seen always refered to 'engine' components when dealing with automotive. The only exception is Tesla Motors - which on their prints refer to 'Motor' components. makes sense I guess seein' that it is an electrical motor :lol:

...but I do like 'Born to be Wild'....you know, 'Get your motor running...move on down the highway' :D

GG ~ :FlagAm:

So here goes:

There.

Then why is Detroit called "The Motor City"?

Then why is Detroit called "The Motor City"?

I wouldn't call Detroit much of anything these days...:wacko:

From Merriam-Webster online dictionary

Engine :

a machine for converting any of various forms of energy into mechanical force and motion; also : a mechanism or object that serves as an energy source <black holes may be the engines for quasars

Motor:

1: one that imparts motion; specifically : prime mover

2: any of various power units that develop energy or impart motion: as a: a small compact engine b: internal combustion engine; especially : a gasoline engine c: a rotating machine that transforms electrical energy into mechanical energy

But Tesla does not refer to its electrical motor as an engine...:unsure:

It is what it is I reckon ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Look at it this way: What we call "pistols" in Cowboy are, in modern terminoligy, revolvers. By modern definition, a pistol is a handgun with one firing chamber. A revolver has multiple chambers.

BUT, by an older definition, they are all "pistols".

Even though by today's definitions, there is a difference, using the older definition, they are all "motors".

So years ago ESSO should have been saying "Happy Engineing"? I don't see the difference myself. Always seemed to me as long as I understand what somebody's saying, the words were OK....

I may be wrong(according to my wife, I am a lot), but as long as you understand what is being said, what's the big deal. Life's too short to get up tight over stuff like that. Almost like Ruger's OMV and NMV.

Most of us ignorant "hillbillies" are well aware of the fact that in "modern" terminology you are correct. We are also aware that the thing used to power the thing that drills a hole is a drill motor and the thing that actually makes the hole is a drill. We also know that "drill bits" are used in making holes in wood and historically they were used in a tool called a brace. But we also understand what you're talking about regardless of the terminology and have enough respect to not belittle someone elses ways. I know bunchES of "hillbillies" that can get more out of an "internal combustion engine" than most of the over educated engineer types can dream of. :rolleyes::unsure::lol:

As Big Jake is known to say, "Just sayin'!" B)

Almost there.... MERRY CHRISTMAS, Y'ALL!!

Las Vegas MOTOR SPEEDWAY; Indianapolis MOTOR SPEEDWAY; Nashville MOTOR SPEEDWAY; Atlanta MOTOR SPEEDWAY; New Hampshire MOTOR SPEEDWAY; Virginia MOTOR SPEEDWAY; Charlotte MOTOR SPEEDWAY; Texas MOTOR SPEEDWAY....

and that's just the Google short list, but I'm starting to see an ignorant hillbilly sort of a trend here because I had no ideer they had cords long enough to keep those MOTORS runnin'.... :lol:

LOL, interesting what pushes some people buttons.

Friend of mine is an electrician, he told me just the other day how bulbs are what you plant in the ground, lamps are what you screw into the light socket.

So....a motor is a type of engine (fuel = electricity, output = mechanical motion), but an engine is not a motor? My poor old brain can't remember much from guided missile school other than if you screw up the missile you're likely to get a 230 grain (before they switched to that 9mm crap) lead injection.

Electricity is not fuel.

Why do trains these days have diesel engines?

To power a generator to supply an electric motor.

Having worked with a fella that worked for the railroads train maintenance shop and from what I learned working at Siemans plant that was in the process of installing inverters for old diesel powered trains. Typically they were built like this: Diesel engine drives a gen set to supply very large DC motors. The older trains, Siemans was building and installing DC to AC inverters (for between the gen set and the motor)and swapped the motors out for AC. Don't ask me why. I didn't work there but a couple weeks on an equipment install. Didn't get any time with an engineer, just the guys on the floor putting it together. I can only assume new trains are built strictly AC gen set and AC motor.

Chime in if I'm wrong. I only know what I was told.

LOL, interesting what pushes some people buttons.

Friend of mine is an electrician, he told me just the other day how bulbs are what you plant in the ground, lamps are what you screw into the light socket.

It's all in good fun. I like messing with truck drivers and law men myself.

He was right about lamps and bulbs! :P

Then there's "The Motor Company".

Surprised the HD or Ford folks haven't chimed in here! <_<

Merry Christmas! :)

ENGINEHEAD?

ENGINEMOUTH?

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

I'M CORNFUSED

OR IS THAT FUSSIONHEAD

FUSSIONMOUTH :lol:

Muscle cells convert fats, carbohydrates, and proteins into adenosine triphosphate for use as fuel to make the muscle contract. So muscles are engines...cool!

So here goes:

There.

Oh Dirty Dan, I undersplick wat yer a sayin' but I ain't gonna stand next to ya when you start talking about ignernt hillbillies...you're on your own there buddy!! Dadgum Tuco Forsyth is gonna start feudin' with ya. Of course neither one of ya can hit the broad side of a green barn but one of ya'll might get lucky and nick me...it's Christmas and I need's ta be home! :)

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Oh Dirty Dan, I undersplick wat yer a sayin' but I ain't gonna stand next to ya when you start talking about ignernt hillbillies...you're on your own there buddy!! Dadgum Tuco Forsyth is gonna start feudin' with ya. Of course neither one of ya can hit the broad side of a green barn but one of ya'll might get lucky and nick me...it's Christmas and I need's ta be home! :)

Merry Christmas to everyone.

....... gotta be one of tha bestest comebacks this year .... ^_^

So here goes:

There.

Well now you got this old country boy plumber confused....I always thought a engine was one of them fellers that had feathers & blankets :mellow:

• 2 weeks later...

MANY of the first "Motorcars" were in fact powered by electric "motors" and batteries. It wasn't till a little later that the industry switched over to "engines".

By then the name/term "Motorcar" had stuck.

P.S. Who knows what year the first Hybrid car was produced??

MANY of the first "Motorcars" were in fact powered by electric "motors" and batteries. It wasn't till a little later that the industry switched over to "engines".

By then the name/term "Motorcar" had stuck.

P.S. Who knows what year the first Hybrid car was produced??

That would be 1900.

Archived