SASS Wire Forum

Securing shotgun bandolier

Shooting Bull

Before I go on a campaign to try and change a rule, I like to get a feel of the assembled masses.

I bought one of Tupelo Flash's rigs at the Convention last year and my sole objection to it is that it flops around a LOT when I move during a stage. This eats up a lot of time when I get to my shotgun and have to search around to find where my shells are. Currently bandoliers are NOT allowed to be secured to your body, they must hang freely. My questions is, would you support a change in the rule that would allow the bandolier to be secured to the body?

In my ever so humble opinion, it would be no different than a shotgun belt that's buckled securely around your waist so, it should be allowed.

It would not matter to me one way or the other,but if you allow that then wouldn't you have to let the shotshell belt be worn up as high as a guy wanted to ware it.A bandoier would allow you to get shells up high.Just my thinking.

Eat more and gain enough weight that it fits tight. There's a big difference between waist and chest for grabbing shells. Walk slower or don't move around so fast that it makes it harder to grab shells. Like these answers yet? Yer pounding yer head against a brick wall here. Just sayin' :lol:

Big (whats got his tongue firmly planted in his cheek) Jake

Before I go on a campaign to try and change a rule, I like to get a feel of the assembled masses.

I bought one of Tupelo Flash's rigs at the Convention last year and my sole objection to it is that it flops around a LOT when I move during a stage. This eats up a lot of time when I get to my shotgun and have to search around to find where my shells are. Currently bandoliers are NOT allowed to be secured to your body, they must hang freely. My questions is, would you support a change in the rule that would allow the bandolier to be secured to the bo

In my ever so humble opinion, it would be no different than a shotgun belt that's buckled securely around your waist so, it should be allowed.

I would not support the change. The bandoliers already have the advantage over a belt by putting ammo higher. I for one thought the stiff Flash one should be illegal but accept the ruling.

According to SASS #1...a secured bandolier is a suspender...and NOT on the list of approved methods for carrying ammo for stage reloads.

Good luck getting the WB to approve that as a Summit agenda item for the TG's.

Sure, tie it down. But then no shells can be worn above the belly button. Let's keep on par with the other devices used for carrying shotshells.

IF you were going to allow it to be tied down, then you would either have to stipulate that no shells were to be carried in it above the bellybutton, OR allow the shotgun belt to be worn as a shotgun bra.. (above the bellybutton)

To answer your question, no, I would not be in favor of it, neither as stated, nor as I modified above.

Grizz

I bought one of Tupelo Flash's rigs at the Convention last year and my sole objection to it is that it flops around a LOT when I move during a stage. This eats up a lot of time when I get to my shotgun and have to search around to find where my shells are. Currently bandoliers are NOT allowed to be secured to your body, they must hang freely. My questions is, would you support a change in the rule that would allow the bandolier to be secured to the body?

If it flops around then it does not fit you properly and is probably to large. Put more shells in it to increase the weight and help hold it down. I have one and it does not flop around on me. I love it. It does not need to be tied down.

I made myself a bandolier that fits in a way that it does not excessively flop around. It is tight enough that I can pull shells and not have it slopping all over the place when I move. I have only used it twice and the first time I changed half way through the match back to a slide because I wasn't happy the way it took too long to get the shells out.

The second time I stuck with it through the whole match and although it was still a little slow I haven't given up on it yet. Just need to practice with it and make a simple modification. I will try to post some pictures of it, if I can find them.

My thoughts on the OP is that I don't see a reason to modify this rule. A well fit bandolier will work without securing it.

If it flops around then it does not fit you properly and is probably to large. Put more shells in it to increase the weight and help hold it down. I have one and it does not flop around on me. I love it. It does not need to be tied down.

serious question here Diamond how is a bandolier suppose to fit? I have thought about making one and want to make sure it fits correctly.

I would support such a change in the rule, but as you can see from responses already here, it isn't as simple as that.

It calls into question the shells below belly button rule, the no shells in suspenders rule, and it will lead to some wondering when bandoleers are going to "take over the sport" for about 6 months until people look around and realize that there are only a few more shooters using them.

Also, what Palewolf said. I've had experience trying to get items onto the agenda. If they're "not interested in discussing this change at this time" you're going to be pretty much out of luck.

Bud

I shoot with a Tupelo Bandelaro and found that all I have to do is keep it filled front and back with shotgun shells and pistol/rifle ammo and the thing sits prteyy much where I want it to. I knew it could not be tied down when I bought it and really don't think I would get much of an advantage by doing so. The trick is to stretch the loops a little for easy shell pulling. BTW, the wife also has one and has no problem with hers either. No need to change the rules in my opinion.

If yours flops around then it is too big. Mine doesn't flop around AT ALL. I like to keep it full in front in pairs. Fill the lower 2 loops, skip one, fill 2 more, skip one, and on up to the neck. I like to skip every other loop with the handgun cartridges. Also you should keep the same load amount in the back loops. I keep "special" shells back there and it only takes a skecond to whirl the Bando around to access them.

The Tupelo Bando is a great invention and works well. No rule change needed. Traditionally one of the advantages of the bandoleer is it could be thrown on and off quickly and easily. Tying it down would defeat the purpose.

And if there is ANY possibility of the bra sneaking in I am definitely agin the rule change. Only thang looks as stoopid as a bra is them crotch holsters.

I posed the same rule change to our TG two years ago. I had an ulterior motive...I wanted to buy that double bandolier/gunbelt combo that Australian Leather makes. The TG later informed me that the WB shot it down real quick. Best of luck pursuing it, but I'm not too optimistic about the outcome.

Howdy...Well I'm about to find out if I'm a bandolier lover or not, purchased one at this years EOT & haven't shot since Hell on Wheels & tomorrow shoot our Australian Regional..I like the feel of them & have done some dry practising so time will tell, may not use it for the 12 stages but will definitely give it a go..loaded up on both sides I can't see a need to be be tied down[iMHO ]...can't remember the makers name , he was in the big tent next to the guys that made the ear plugs.

Regards 'Painted Mohawk

IMHO much of the issue with using a bandelaro is getting comfortable with it. I made one for myself and when I first started it felt stange and I wasn't sure how to pull the shells, from the first shell, the last shells, the top, the bottom, undernieth (mine has a top and bottome row). It took about 6 month to get to where it was second nature and I didn't have to think about it. I agree that it must fit your body. WW

I shoot with a Tupelo Bandelaro and found that all I have to do is keep it filled front and back with shotgun shells and pistol/rifle ammo and the thing sits prteyy much where I want it to. I knew it could not be tied down when I bought it and really don't think I would get much of an advantage by doing so. The trick is to stretch the loops a little for easy shell pulling. BTW, the wife also has one and has no problem with hers either. No need to change the rules in my opinion.

+ 1

CCBA

[quote name='Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217' timestamp='1317253474' post='2280028'

I just don't get it. A bandoleer does not look like a "bra shotgun shell belt." Nor does it look like suspenders with shells.

Let's suppose you're a right handed shooter shooting a '97 and you load over the top and you have shotgun shells available at your left collar bone from a bandolier secured as well as most wear a belt within the existing rules.

Distance from point A to point B... and all that.

Lets make a deal! Ill vote with you if you will vote for the shotgun ejectors. Actually this is much like that proposal, I do not see the advantage and thus do not see where anyone else's miniature goat is getting gored, so why not allow a simple attachment to the belt. Then again after a few photos surfaced depicting guys of the era wearing shotshell belts bra style, I would no longer support that rule either. Funny how those rules were selected, often without rhyme or reason. Double poches/loops are ok but no wearing of the belt above the navel, surely those guys were sitting around drinking beer when by late night, some of these rules/reasonings started surfacing! So, I will not do a giant NO without a real cause. Shoot and enjoy on this one, in my book.

Let's suppose you're a right handed shooter shooting a '97 and you load over the top and you have shotgun shells available at your left collar bone from a bandolier secured as well as most wear a belt within the existing rules.

Distance from point A to point B... and all that.

Huh?

A legal, Tupelo bandoleer holds the shells in the same place an illegal tied down bandoleer does. The Tupelo style, if worn as intended fits as snug as should one that has a tie. To me, having one tied to the holster doesn't make enough difference to have a rule about. They both have an equally old west look and the ties can be made practically invisible.

That said, there is no point in talking about a change if the WB won't hear it. Just buy the Tupelo style.

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS I do not desire to wear a bandoleer. I just have opinions about things. :);)

My questions is, would you support a change in the rule that would allow the bandolier to be secured to the body?

Unequivocally NO!

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

• 5 weeks later...

Archived