SASS Wire Forum

Gunfighters who have won State Champ..OVERALL

Widder, SASS #59054

Creeker has a topic about category changes/competition, etc. (good thread)

Anyhow, it got me to thinking about something...(dangerous)

HOW MANY Gunfighters have been the OVERALL winner of a State Match.....Any State match. It doesn't have to be their very own State match. OR, they were the TOP shooter representing their state.

For example, me thinks the following Gunfighters have either been the TOP GUN at the listed State Match OR, they have been the TOP GUN representing THEIR State:

Lassiter......Ohio 2011 (placed in Top 10)

Badlands Bud............Oregon 2008 (Won the match)

Madd Mike .............Nevada ? (Placed in Top 10)

Walker Colt ........... W.Virginia 2010 (?) (I think he won the match)

Can anyone help me out with any info and/or corrections to my list?

Thank ye much

..........Widder

Lighting Cat won top shooter representing Colorado at 2011 Colorado State match last week. Took 2nd overall in the match.

See scores here Thunder Mountain Shootist.

Marshal Jack

HOW MANY Gunfighters have been the OVERALL winner of a State Match.....Any State match. It doesn't have to be their very own State match. OR, they were the TOP shooter representing their state.

For example, me thinks the following Gunfighters have either been the TOP GUN at the listed State Match OR, they have been the TOP GUN representing THEIR State:

Thank ye much

..........Widder

I'm not sure of his record at State, but we had this slouch and his wife a few years back. Nueces Outlaw and Curl E Kay. I know she was top lady several times, both state and regional.

a few years back I won over all as a GunFighter @

Alaska territorial shoot, (they are not in a regionial district).....so sASS gave em a territorial shoot

to go along with their state championship shoot.

the Alaska clubs put on great shoots

ya ought ta take the trip some day and meet em all

and explore the largest state there iz

just dont forgit

when you step off the tour bus

watch for grizz :lol::huh:;)

word is

they cater to lower 48 red meat sum-times :wub:

Thank ye much

..........Widder

Hey Widder,

Badlands Bud, not only won the Oregon State Over All as a Gunfighter in 2008

He won OverAll as a Gunfighter in 2006 and 2009 in Oregon.

That's all I can add.

Wimp

Guest diablo slim shootist

a few years back I won over all as a GunFighter @

Alaska territorial shoot, (they are not in a regionial district).....so sASS gave em a territorial shoot

to go along with their state championship shoot.

the Alaska clubs put on great shoots

ya ought ta take the trip some day and meet em all

and explore the largest state there iz

just dont forgit

when you step off the tour bus

watch for grizz :lol::huh:;)

word is

they cater to lower 48 red meat sum-times :wub:

"and explore the largest state there iz"Mike some Texans might take offense at that statment

"I'm just saying ;)

Texas is about 262,000 square miles and Alaska is 572,000 square miles, meaning that if Alaska's land area were divided equally into two states then Texas would become the third largest state, rather than the second largest in the USA.

Alaska is actually larger than Texas, Montana, and California combined. Not saying its not accurate just offensive :P

Next itme you go up let me know -I might tag along :blush:

Widder, I just got back into Gunfighter recently, but I did manage to take 15th overall at Illinois State with a pretty tough crowd, and that was using my hammer SxS. When my SKB gets here I should be able to improve my times. ;)

I believe the shooter formerly known as Vitavhouri Kid, or Mr.Shane Starret, was 8th overall at Winter Range back in 2001 shooting GF. Steve Thorton was his name and he won WR overall shooting modern in 2000. He always placed well @ EOT and WR. As for state level matches he was from Illinois and somebody might remember how he did back then.

LL'

HOW 'BOUT DAT LIGHTNING CAT? Colorado State Champion GUNFIGHTER and Colorado State Champion OVERALL. Savage Sam is from Australia shooting Cowboy category and beat him by less than 6 seconds in 12 stages.

Thunder Mountain Shootist

SASS Colorado State Championship

Final Overall Results Main Match

Sunday, June 12, 2011 9:25:15 PM Shoot Date: 6/10/2011

Savage Sam CB 1 24.18 18.14 16.85 20.20 17.87 15.68 27.17 19.99 21.02 19.46 15.57 15.81 231.94

Lighting Cat GF 1 18.92 19.41 18.68 16.65 19.69 17.11 22.42 23.53 26.11 19.54 19.15 16.18 237.39

J.T. Wild 49er 1 20.63 19.66 21.58 18.40 20.47 18.75 21.52 20.89 22.94 18.69 18.68 18.05 240.26

Twelve Mile Reb S 1 24.63 22.37 19.74 17.39 19.36 19.52 25.13 18.12 23.19 18.43 18.54 17.01 243.43

HOW 'BOUT DAT LIGHTNING CAT? Colorado State Champion GUNFIGHTER and Colorado State Champion OVERALL. Savage Sam is from Australia shooting Cowboy category and beat him by less than 6 seconds in 12 stages.

Thunder Mountain Shootist

SASS Colorado State Championship

Final Overall Results Main Match

Sunday, June 12, 2011 9:25:15 PM Shoot Date: 6/10/2011

Savage Sam CB 1 24.18 18.14 16.85 20.20 17.87 15.68 27.17 19.99 21.02 19.46 15.57 15.81 231.94

Lighting Cat GF 1 18.92 19.41 18.68 16.65 19.69 17.11 22.42 23.53 26.11 19.54 19.15 16.18 237.39

J.T. Wild 49er 1 20.63 19.66 21.58 18.40 20.47 18.75 21.52 20.89 22.94 18.69 18.68 18.05 240.26

Twelve Mile Reb S 1 24.63 22.37 19.74 17.39 19.36 19.52 25.13 18.12 23.19 18.43 18.54 17.01 243.43

Them Cat boys are freaks of nature! :lol:

Easy Rider won GF at EOT and was in the top 10 - I know once and probably. That was with over 750 shooters.

Not GF, but . .

Silver City Rebel was in the top 10 and shooting black Powder.

Holy Terror was in the top 10 more than once and second at national matches.

I think several Duelists were also in the top 10 at several national matches.

I just wanna say that although myself won't win anything 'overall' I love Gunfighter...especially Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter (which I hope becomes a SASS legal category).

GG ~ :FlagAm:

You only want gunfighter, how well has anybody ever done shooting Outlaw??

The Gun Fighter category just plain ROCKS

The Gun Fighter category had a rock-EE start

anyone that has been along for the whole ride

can truely appreciate what it has taken, to become what it is today

It takes a special talent

You have to ignore most of the posse, as they run their pistols stages through their heads out loud (as they have a pause after the first 5)

If you time, you have to be careful, for the very same reason, you have just watched folks do pistols targets the same, yet different, as they dont have lead changes and stuff)

You have to have the patients to listen and explain Gun Fighter rules to NON gun fighters, that are often wrong.

You have to hit two holsters at the same time when done with shot ten

you change site pictures with every shot (99%) of the time

you shoot every stage with your week-hand t00

you shoot every stage, with un-supported pistol hold / stance

thats why I say it takes a special talent :lol:

Gun Fighter category is the full-fill-ment of a dream, and a lotta hard work from Tex (SASS #4)

This year EOT is offering

Frontier Cartridge Gun Fighter

and I will be there doing --just that-- :ph34r: FCGF RocKs-0n-even-better :ph34r:

I will never be fast started at 67.Shot two supported,and I could see I was getting better every time I went to a shoot,shot that way for about 3 months . But I would watch Possum shoot gun fighter and I could not stand it.I shot G F at a shoot and had so much fun.I will shoot GF until I can hold my guns any more.I like it because you have to think how to shoot each stage. I had to shoot DD on a stage because I did not feel good about moving from one place to another with my guns in my hands.But I think GF it more fun than anything. I hope a top gunfighter wins it all.

I believe Half-a-Hand Henri has won her state championship more than once shooting Gunfighter. I'm also thinking she won her regional when they lived in New England shooting gunfighter. (Someone please correct me if this is not correct.)

I just started shooting L Gunfighter this year and Henri is my hero! :wub: I've won the Iowa State Championship a couple times shooting L Duelist. May never happen as a L Gunfighter but I'm sure going to give it a try!!

There has been somewhat a breakdown of one of the topics and a couple or so of the posters have actually stated that if those top shooters who are shooting in categories that do not win the top overall are simply being recognized to make them feel good. The concept promoted being that if they were top shooters they would be shooting in the most competitive category. It seems funny to me that no one has challenged that concept. http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=171349 I really feel that anytime we see a shooter in Duelist, Gunfighter or one of the black powder categories shoot competitively against a Traditional style shooter we are seeing an individual who is just as talented and dedicated as anyone else in the competition and on those occasions in which he wins OA, perhaps a bit more so!

Tall Drink A.Water won Winter Range GF in 2009 and was in the top 10. He came in 3rd at EOT in 2009 win his shotgun blew up in his face on the last stage. He was also in the top 10. Has won several state GF's and has went back and forth with Lassiter. He hasn't shot in a year now. He became a cop and has got the time off anymore. I would say that as far as wins, Half a Hand Henry is the best!

I.M.

I can add that Walker Colt won overall at the Maryland state shoot in 2005 and again in 2008. There are several other wins in VA and West Virginia. Besides that, he is a great cowboy.

Roo

i know it has been mentioned already but Lightning Cat won the Colorado State Championship as a gunfighter justa couple of weeks ago. this is after winning the Colorado State Championship last year as a duelist.

i am starting to see some wisdom in tanya hardings plan to deal with the competition....

cbj

Archived