SASS Wire Forum

Define wearing a hat

Bustin Caps

That's actually a good question (that I hadn't heard or seen here on the Wire).

I think THIS covers it:

SHB p.3

Well I do believe that that would INCLUDE wearing a hat by the stampede string on the back between stages :excl: (as seen in B-Western movies) :)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PWB, I have a question about hats and CC&BW would a Kepi qualify if you were in uniform?

Good, I have gotten used to shootin' in it. I even figured out how to keep the brass out of my shirt now. That helps my shootin' a bunch..;)

This is why the rule book is 27 pages long now. :angry: You should know what's right and what isn't, and if you have to ask, then it probably isn't.

Well I do believe that that would INCLUDE wearing a hat by the stampede string on the back between stages :excl: (as seen in B-Western movies) :)

There are TWO parts to the regulation re: clothing & equipment...I emphasized the FIRST one in my initial response...ignoring that & applying only the SECOND part would be NOT an appropriate interpretation of the rules...IMO.

ALL clothing and equipment MUST be worn appropriately,

how it was intended

and

how it would have been worn in the OLD WEST or as seen on B-Western movies and television.

SHB p.3

CLASSIC COWBOY/COWGIRL

• ... All clothing items must be worn appropriately during all shooting events and awards ceremonies.

• ... no straw or palm hats allowed.

• Hats must be worn for the entire match.

SHB p.15

“B” WESTERN

• ... Felt hats only, no straw hats. Hats must be worn.

• All costumes are expected to be fancy and flashy. The “B” Western costuming must be worn during the entire match and awards ceremony with exception of evening formal occasions.

SHB p.16

(FWIW - this issue falls under the progressive P/SDQ/MDQ penalty...ask yerself...do I really want to risk it at a major match?) ;)

I am new to SASS. I realise that in Classic Cowboy and "B Western" the rules state that you must wear a hat. What is the definition of wearing a hat? Does it have to be on your head? Would having it hung on your back by the rodeo strings count as wearing it? I remember many old movies where the cowboys had them hanging on their back by the rodeo strings. I need to know this as a hat really makes my head hot in the summer months and sometimes I like to let it hang on my back reather than wear it on my head.

Why do I feel like I'm reliving the Clinton era . . . . .

This is why the rule book is 27 pages long now. :angry: You should know what's right and what isn't, and if you have to ask, then it probably isn't.

Well it's gonna be twenny eight or thirty eight pages a'fore long with all these "definitions of the definitions...... :blink:

This post reminds me of the term " bunk house lawyers".

You people need to get a life and quit splittin' hairs for entertainment. :rolleyes:

here is my 2 cents, personally I don't give a rats backside if you wear a hat or not, I am just throwing another log on the fire.

When I was in the Army if I went outside without a hat on the top of my head i would get my a$$ chewed by every NCO and Officer that seen me.

that's my 2 cents but don't mind me I am just sturing the pot kicking the horse

You folks don't have enough to do.

I only read this thread because it is the butt of jokes in the saloon.

I am new to SASS. I realise that in Classic Cowboy and "B Western" the rules state that you must wear a hat. What is the definition of wearing a hat? Does it have to be on your head? Would having it hung on your back by the rodeo strings count as wearing it? I remember many old movies where the cowboys had them hanging on their back by the rodeo strings. I need to know this as a hat really makes my head hot in the summer months and sometimes I like to let it hang on my back reather than wear it on my head.

When the hat is on your head, it is worn. Gimme a break!!

In other words, you don't want to wear a hat but you want to shoot in the only 2 categories that require one. <_<

No hats are required in any of the other categories and you can dress up as much, or as little, as you want.

In my mind's eye I can see women especially in B Western movies with hats on their backs, (so they would photograph better presumably), and in scenes depicting a cantina, there's always a vaquero or two similarly dressed, probably because otherwise three guys in the cantina and they'd be banging hats together ;) I think it's a no call because it is an expected use of the hat with strings.

As to hats and hot days, I learned that a GOOD hat won't mind being filled with water, allowed to soak through, dumped out, then put back on yer head soaking wet. The evaporation works for ya..... I know, ya spend $200 for a hat and that scares ya, but a good hat will be fine. A cheap hat will end up a mess, but if it's cheap, who cares.....

I remember many old movies where the cowboys had them hanging on their back by the rodeo strings.

Name a couple :rolleyes:

here is my 2 cents, personally I don't give a rats backside if you wear a hat or not, I am just throwing another log on the fire.

When I was in the Army if I went outside without a hat on the top of my head i would get my a$$ chewed by every NCO and Officer that seen me.

that's my 2 cents but don't mind me I am just sturing the pot kicking the horse

Not anymore apparently. On the news I saw 3 field grades and a general walking and talking with a reporter. None were covered.

Active duty friends of mine say it doesn't seem to be a priority for a lot of NCOs. <_<:blink:

Are stampede strings period correct? There would not be any need for them if your hat was being worn on your head.

Don't know when they came into play.

But do know they was made to keep your hat, on your head, in the wind and such.

Found this kind of funny. Has stuff on stampede strings. And they talk about how

there intended purpose is to keep your "hat on your head".

Don't see any mention of its intended purpose for dangling it off your back.

Though some do use it for that i guess.

But then some use the pistol for a hammer also. But that don't mean that was it's intended purpose.

http://www.squidoo.com/stampedestring

Uncommon good sense has departed the forum.

I wear a hat all the time... whether I'm cowboy shootin', just workin' around the farm, or drivin' down the road. Many of my ca-bouy hats have stampede strings, because as I get older, my reflexes slow, and sometimes the wind get a mite frisky... and chasin' yer hat all over the range is tiring... and could be problematic for those that are out-of-shape. But, if a shooter is appropriately attired for his/her category when the buzzer goes off, everything that happens after that falls in the "stuff happens" bin. Whether a pard or pardette has their hat blown off by the wind, or they knock it back to hang by the stampede string, or just tilt it to balance pecariously on the back of their head; in all cases they started the stage with it worn appropriately. Did they safely complete the course of fire? Did they adhere to the requirements of their category?

But, wearin' a hat by hangin' it around your neck by stampede strings will pose quite the conundrum for the "hands on hat" starting position... unless you're Gumby.

Active duty friends of mine say it doesn't seem to be a priority for a lot of NCOs. <_<:blink:

That is not my experience. I hate wearing hats, and never do so as a civilian, but I, and in my experience most NCO's and ossifers, expect headgear to be worn IAW.

Uncommon good sense has departed the forum.

I wear a hat all the time... whether I'm cowboy shootin', just workin' around the farm, or drivin' down the road. Many of my ca-bouy hats have stampede strings, because as I get older, my reflexes slow, and sometimes the wind get a mite frisky... and chasin' yer hat all over the range is tiring... and could be problematic for those that are out-of-shape. But, if a shooter is appropriately attired for his/her category when the buzzer goes off, everything that happens after that falls in the "stuff happens" bin. Whether a pard or pardette has their hat blown off by the wind, or they knock it back to hang by the stampede string, or just tilt it to balance pecariously on the back of their head; in all cases they started the stage with it worn appropriately. Did they safely complete the course of fire? Did they adhere to the requirements of their category?

But, wearin' a hat by hangin' it around your neck by stampede strings will pose quite the conundrum for the "hands on hat" starting position... unless you're Gumby.

Agree. That stuff happens. And agree with a no call for hat comeing off in the middle of a stage by wind or getting knocked off some other way. That stuff happens.

And that is NOT what I am saying.

But seems he was asking if he could wear it like that all the time. As he does not want to wear a hat.

Which seems funny he would want to shoot in the only two categories that wearing a hat is required. :wacko:

To me. If ya don't like to wear a hat. Just pick one of the other million categories that we have, that a hat

is NOT required. Simple.

Agree. That stuff happens. And agree with a no call for hat comeing off in the middle of a stage by wind or getting knocked off some other way. That stuff happens.

And that is NOT what I am saying.

But seems he was asking if he could wear it like that all the time. As he does not want to wear a hat.

Which seems funny he would want to shoot in the only two categories that wearing a hat is required. :wacko:

To me. If ya don't like to wear a hat. Just pick one of the other million categories that we have, that a hat

is NOT required. Simple.

A good pard used to wear a sombrero big enough to land helicopters on. When he went to the line, it was ALWAYS on his back. No problem.

I like hats. Serve several purposes and most of mine have stampede strings just cause I can tip it back if needed or want to. Choosing the categories would seem to be an easy thing to do for what the shooter wants to compete in. I may some day wear some other type of head gear relating to the Old West as we preceive it, but in appropiate categories.

Was thinking of an old Lee Marvin movie that he had hat tipped on his back with stampede string but have not located it yet.

Did find this short clip with Quigley Down Under and can speed 3/4 ways thru it for a movie example. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7y9vtVG4eY

That's actually a good question (that I hadn't heard or seen here on the Wire).

I think THIS covers it:

SHB p.3

The or as seen in B western movies. I cannot remember the movie or serial, but a seem to recall one of the movies with the good guy that had a mexican side kick whose sombrero was always hanging on his back by the stampede strings, would that be sufficent to justify the hanging on the back??

not trying to be cute, rather seeking further clarification.

There are TWO parts to the regulation re: clothing & equipment...I emphasized the FIRST one in my initial response...ignoring that & applying only the SECOND part would be NOT an appropriate interpretation of the rules...IMO.

SHB p.3

SHB p.15

SHB p.16

(FWIW - this issue falls under the progressive P/SDQ/MDQ penalty...ask yerself...do I really want to risk it at a major match?) ;)

See PaleWolf's Post #44

Seems pretty if'y at best that it would be legal to wear it like that.

I am just thankful that every CC and BW shooter I have seen in this area.

Has gotten into the spirt of the category and worn things as intended.

Which to me. A hat was made with the intention to be worn on the head.

And to me. Dangling on a sting. Is not being worn. As required.

Name a couple :rolleyes:

2 "B" western stars that wore stampede strings, and many times had their hats hanging from them were Ray "Crash" Corrigan of the 3 Mesquiters series, and Buster Crabbe in his Billy the Kid, later Bill Carson series. Check em out. There were also many more, even Clint Eastwood in Rawhide series, if you wish to include TV westerns. As to cowgirls, check out Dale Evans or Gail Davis of Annie Oakley. Many times their hats were hanging off their stampede strings.

If you want more, there was Lash Larue,(he like to do this so his fans would see his face, and see that he was doing the stunts), John Wayne in Big Trail, etc. MT

Definition of "wearing a hat:"

1. protecting head and neck from sunburn

2. shading eyes from sun

3. helping prevent sunstroke

4. being a well-dressed gentleman.....no wait that was a generation back

5. looking like a cowboy

I am just thankful that every CC and BW shooter I have seen in this area.

Has gotten into the spirt of the category and worn things as intended.

Which to me. A hat was made with the intention to be worn on the head.

And to me. Dangling on a sting. Is not being worn. As required.

Which is exactly why I don't enter the costume categories. As I said in my original post.

I wear a hat and all the other stuff to every match so that I could easily qualify for CC. But if I my hat brim is going to interfere with me seeing a flying popper, or if my brim is just too darn big to use with the tang sight on my Sharps, then I am going to shove it back off my head by the stampede strings. If it is one of my hats that doesn't have stampede strings, I may even throw it on the ground for the moment. Yes, I throw a $200 hat on the ground every once in a while if I need to.

That's why I don't enter the costume categories, so I don't have nobody telling me I am cheating or not maintaining the Spirit of the Game.

This post reminds me of the term " bunk house lawyers".

You people need to get a life and quit splittin' hairs for entertainment. :rolleyes:

I don't feel I am spliting hairs with this question as I have seen many Cowboys wearing their hats by the rodeo strings hanging on their backs in Western movies and at modern rodeos. I would pay to see you tell these guys at the rodeo that they are wearing their hats wrong. Bustin Capps

I don't feel I am spliting hairs with this question as I have seen many Cowboys wearing their hats by the rodeo strings hanging on their backs in Western movies and at modern rodeos. I would pay to see you tell these guys at the rodeo that they are wearing their hats wrong. Bustin Capps

BC,

You are good to go, just don't shoot in CC or BW catagories. Problem solved with overheating your nogin.

I can't believe it would be even a bit comfortable having stampede strings around your neck with the weight of the hat hanging off it, plus the hat flopping around, tugging at you and hanging up on clothing and whatever else. (I wish my competition would get this wild hair and wear their hats off their back by stampede strings :lol: )

I have no problem with a person removing their hat to shoot for special circumstances, such as on a very windy day and afraid the hat will sail over the berm, or getting in/out of very tight spaced props such as outhouses, stage coaches and mine shafts. Ya gotta remove your hat so it doesn't hang up on your long range tang sights? No problem by me.

As already mention by just about everyone, there is your definition, hat on head

View from my saddle.

Blastmaster

Archived