SASS Wire Forum

Dillon Presses

Buckshot Frank

Someone school me on Dillon presses (including older models). I am an experienced reloader, but find Dillon's web site a bit confusing. My Lee Classic turret press has always served me well, but I find myself spending more and more time reloading now that my wife and I are shooting in multiple monthly matches. I'll be adding shotshells to my reloading duties in the near future, so at some point I'll probably step up to a progressive press for pistol/rifle rounds to save some time.

I currently reload for three pistol calibers, but only high volume for one (.38). I'd like to at least have the option of changing calibers in case I start shooting in some different matches that would require high volume of a different caliber.

I had been loading on Lee presses since starting cowboy. I recently found a used 650 with all the trimmings here on the Wire, I couldn't respond fast enough.

My RPH (rounds per hour) went up so dramatically that in one weekend of loading I ran out of bullets, and need to order more. I was easily getting 400 RPH, and this was with an entirely new to me press, and assorted distractions.

I keep asking myself why I didn't spend the money earlier.

In fact I have even started practicing, since each 100 rounds shot in practice is only 15-20 minutes in front of the loader.

FWJ

550b,it uses standard dies. 650 if'n you want to fly. Flying cost more money.

Dillon won,t disappoint you. :FlagAm::)

The 550 is more press than most people need for SASS...and it's super easy to change calibers on.....If you REALLY want lots of ammo you can either get the 650 (some really like it)........or the 1050.........I have the 1050, but it's a little involved to change calibers....

I reload with the Dillon 550, it serves me well, I'm not fast, depends on what you want for a press, auto indexing or manual, the square deal and 650 and 1050 are auto indexing, the 550 manual index. Now as for the square deal, I believe you can buy the tool head and everything you want to change calibers, a friend of mine started with the square in 45LC, his wife started shooting and wanted 38's, he priced the tool head and everything he needed to switch it to 38, found out he could buy another press for just about the same money so that was the route he went, another square deal.

Depends on what calibers you are shooting since you said 3 calibers, large or small, now with the square deal you can't use any one else's dies, if that makes a difference to you. They are properitaty dies specfic for that press, the others you can use any one's dies.

I use the dillon dies, you can pull a snap ring and clean the dies and they do get dirty, that is what I like about dillon dies, pull snap ring and clean and put back, no adjustment necessary, the others you will have to re-adjust.

Go to www.brianenos.com, there is alot of info there on dillon products, he also sells dillon products and usually gives a better package deal if buying from him.

Like I said I load on the 550, have 3 of them, changing calibers is easier on these than the others, so I have heard anyway, just buy the powder measure kit with tool head and set it up and pull 2 pins for tool head and disconnect the powder measure rod and install the other caliber of your choice, you will have to change the primer set up if going from large to small or vice versa, I was loading for large so I bought another 550 for small and then picked up another one worth the money, that is why I have 3, the one is set up for 45LC and have a tool head set up complete for cowboy45special, have one set up 38 special and the other one set up in 45ACP.

Hope I haven't confused you, but I would go to the web site I suggested, you will learn all about dillon products, their is alot of info there to absorb, or just call dillon and talked to them, have fun

All for now JD Trampas

Contrary to most reloaders, I HATE RELOADING.

Therefor I like spending as little time as possible reloading.

Dillon, by many folks standard, is the Cadillac / Lincoln of reloaders. The Dillon company has an honest to goodness no BS lifetime warranty for all loaders except the 1050 (commercial). The warranty covers loaders that were purchased used as well. No BS.

The Square Deal B, is an inexpensive progressive reloader that will only load pistol cartridges. A great little machine. It auto indexes each time you pull the handle. Changing dies takes about 15 minutes. It requires Dillon dies.

The 550, does not auto index. You must manually rotate the shell plate after each pull of the handle. It is now available with a retrofit case feeder. It will load pistol and rifle cartridges and changes calibers in a few minutes. Uses standard dies.

The 650 is one step up from the 550. If you want a case feed, the 650 was designed for it from the get go. It changes calibers in a couple of minutes. Will do rifle and pistol calibers, auto indexes and with a full tube of primers, you can make 100 rounds in 7 minutes without trying. It is also very difficult to double charge a round with this press. Uses standard dies.

I have had them all and would spend my money on the 650 if it were me. It is a few bucks but well worth it in the long run. Should you ever decide to sell it, you will get almost what you paid for it on the used market, due to the great warranty.

All of the above have tool heads for holding dies making change overs easy.

Because I had a Mec Shotshell reloader before Dillon made one, I have not changed to the Dillon for shotshell loading. Maybe someone can add their experience with that one.

Roo

I had been using a Hornady LNL AP and it was a really good press. Recently I had a chance to pick up a 650 at a good deal, added a case feeder, and I love it. The 650 is pretty quick to changeover if you buy to toolhead/powder measure as others have said. I don't dislike reloading, but I don't want to spend forever to crank out 3-400 rounds, and THAT is why I love the 650. It's fast when I need it, doesn't give problems and is easy to use. So my vote is for a 650, although they are kinda pricey....

I'm with Chuckaroo, I don't actually LIKE reloading, but I HAVE TO to keep things affordable.

I think of the Dillon as the Mac -vs- a PC of the reloading world.

And to address what Buckshot Frank was asking, yes...I found the DIllon website too confusing when I went to make a purchase. So I just phoned them. They are the nicest folks in the world to deal with. Knowledgeable, friendly, and dedicated to customer service. They will answer any and all questions and make you feel like your happy to spend your hard earned dollars with them.

Frank,

After Sunday's match you are more than welcome to come over and look at my set up. I have a Dillon 650 and I load 5 different calibers on it. I only live a few minutes from the range and it's on the way back into town.

JEL

I started with the Lee Turret Press also. I still use it for my BIG rifle cartridges that I want to be absolutly certain all match. I now have twin Dillon 550B's (one set up for small primers, one for large, with a powder measure preset for my .38 spcl and one powder measure preset for my .45's. I have a 3rd powder measure for "non-standard" reloading (9mm, .357, .44 spcl, 44 mag, 45 acp etc). Changing toolheads and powder measures is simple and fast. Also, unlike the 650 and the SDB, the 550B uses any dies, but I went ahead and got Dillon's .45 LC & .38/.357 dies, as I like to hear that primer pop out!

For shotshells, the MEC jr works fine for me. it is not progressive, but i dont mind that. I can usually do 100 (4 boxes) in around an hour.

Everyone who has responded, myself included, has our own preferences and opinions. Before you buy a NEW press, check the Wire Classifieds first (to help a fellow pard out), then check eBay for a used one. You cannot go wrong with a used one, as Dillon's NO BS guarantee is just that!

To each his own, but be sure to follow directions and loading manuals for powder charges!

FWIW..YMMV...SOso

I have always enjoyed reloading, but as we are shooting more, it is starting to feel like a chore. I find myself running to the press to crank out 20 or 30 rounds whenever I have some free time.

The Square Deal sounds like everything that I need, but the expensive proprietary dies are not appealing (especially since I already have carbide 4-die sets for every caliber that I currently reload for). The manually indexing of the 550 could be annoying; I'm used to auto-indexing on my current Lee Classic turret. It looks like I better start saving money for the 650.

How about on the used market? I have seen a few 450's for sale. I assume they are similar to the 550 with less features. I'm a lot less picky if the deal's right...

For shotshell reloading, I'm just going to by a used Mec or RCBS press. I don't shoot enough shotgun shells to need anything fancy.

550b,it uses standard dies. 650 if'n you want to fly. Flying cost more money.

Dillon won,t disappoint you. :FlagAm::)

I have a Dillon 650 and use Dillon dies , but why couldn't one use any other brand of dies , as long as it has the de-cap pin in the sizer die?? Maybe I'm missing something.

Curious , Rex :unsure:

Howdy

In addition to the information you already have, I believe the 650 has five die stations and the 550 has four. So in addition to not having to remember to index the shell plate every time, the 650 gives you more options for extra dies, such as powder cop dies and such.

IIRC the 450 does not use the interchangeable tool heads. For your shotshell reloading, I use an MEC Sizemaster and while not the fastest around I can usually turn out 100 or so rounds an hour, which for a single shooter is adequate.

BTW the manual indexing of the 550 is not the big deal some make out. If I have the primer tubes filled I can turn out 350-400 rounds an hour, with time in that for checking about 1 in 15 for powder weight, cartridge length, etc. Plus I don't know if the 650 will let you go backwards in your process but if the need does arise the 550 will without messing up your sequence.

another BTW my 550 has run like a champ since 1985 with one worn out powder measure (promptly replaced by Dillon). I could give you a couple of endorsments about their great service but they belong in another thread. :):)

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I am a huge fan of the Hornady LNL AP system but based on years of hearing the Dillon marchers brag, I can only assume their products to be of the highest quality-- BUT.... Since pricing does count for many of us, I find that the 650 is the only press I consider to be cost effective considering Dillons prices. My son owns the little Square Deal and is the first to agree that for the price it was just to much money for something that has so many limitations. Pretty much the same for the 550, one pays auto press pricing for a manual indexing machine. I never understood the reasoning behind adding a case feeder ahead of going to an auto advance system??

The 650 is another game altogether, with it you get a good basic auto press that can and does handle every accessory made for an automated ammunition factory. I am talking everything here, auto case feed, auto bullet feed and just to spice it up, one can also add power operation. Like some, you may just spend years idling along with a manual index machine, BUT THEN, you just might find that by the time you get your head programed that the dang thang needs to be manually advanced after every stroke, you need something faster anyway. OH and do not ferget to dump some powder after every missed stroke or there will be a big bang at the old shooting range next weekend.

another BTW my 550 has run like a champ since 1985 with one worn out powder measure (promptly replaced by Dillon). I could give you a couple of endorsments about their great service but they belong in another thread. :):)

Regards

Gateway Kid

I've heard that Dillon's service is second to none. The best endorsment that I have heard was from the owner of a reloading shop that I used to go to when I lived in TN. He told me that a customer brought in an old Dillon press that he found in a junkyard. It wasn't much more that a rusty frame. The store owner told him that he could sell him the parts to fix it, but it would cost more than a new press. The customer sent it to Dillon for an estimate on refurbishing it. Dillon sent him a new press for free. Now I don't know if that story is BS, but if it isn't, that speaks pretty highly of their "No BS" warranty!

I've heard that Dillon's service is second to none. The best endorsment that I have heard was from the owner of a reloading shop that I used to go to when I lived in TN. He told me that a customer brought in an old Dillon press that he found in a junkyard. It wasn't much more that a rusty frame. The store owner told him that he could sell him the parts to fix it, but it would cost more than a new press. The customer sent it to Dillon for an estimate on refurbishing it. Dillon sent him a new press for free. Now I don't know if that story is BS, but if it isn't, that speaks pretty highly of their "No BS" warranty!

Would not surprise me that this is true.

When I moved to Grand Junction from Denver the movers dropped the box with my 550, broke a powder measure and some small parts, called Dillon for replacement prices, 3 days later had all the parts "No Charge" not even for shipping for an issue that had absolutely nothing to do with their product, (all the movers fault :angry: )How can you beat service like that? which is why I will always use Big Blue :)

Regards

Gateway Kid

Buckshot Frank,

Take John E. Law up on his offer of help. He's a great guy and will not steer you wrong. After trying his, you will save your money and buy the right press as the first press.

Just don't wake the baby!

Roo

I have a Dillon 650 and use Dillon dies , but why couldn't one use any other brand of dies , as long as it has the de-cap pin in the sizer die?? Maybe I'm missing something.

Curious , Rex :unsure:

I think he's referring to the SDB which uses special dies. The 550 and 650 can use dies from other manufacturers.

I just got a 550B and I really like it. I do agree that their website is not very user friendly at all, and it baffles me that they want you to BUY their catalog when everyone else sends theirs for free. For me it was a little bit of a learning curve switching from a Lee turret press.

The biggest dilemma I have right now is if I want to get small primer feed system for it and just do all my reloading on it.

Contrary to most reloaders, I HATE RELOADING.

Therefor I like spending as little time as possible reloading.

Dillon, by many folks standard, is the Cadillac / Lincoln of reloaders. The Dillon company has an honest to goodness no BS lifetime warranty for all loaders except the 1050 (commercial). The warranty covers loaders that were purchased used as well. No BS.

The Square Deal B, is an inexpensive progressive reloader that will only load pistol cartridges. A great little machine. It auto indexes each time you pull the handle. Changing dies takes about 15 minutes. It requires Dillon dies.

The 550, does not auto index. You must manually rotate the shell plate after each pull of the handle. It is now available with a retrofit case feeder. It will load pistol and rifle cartridges and changes calibers in a few minutes. Uses standard dies.

The 650 is one step up from the 550. If you want a case feed, the 650 was designed for it from the get go. It changes calibers in a couple of minutes. Will do rifle and pistol calibers, auto indexes and with a full tube of primers, you can make 100 rounds in 7 minutes without trying. It is also very difficult to double charge a round with this press. Uses standard dies.

I have had them all and would spend my money on the 650 if it were me. It is a few bucks but well worth it in the long run. Should you ever decide to sell it, you will get almost what you paid for it on the used market, due to the great warranty.

All of the above have tool heads for holding dies making change overs easy.

Because I had a Mec Shotshell reloader before Dillon made one, I have not changed to the Dillon for shotshell loading. Maybe someone can add their experience with that one.

Roo

Ditto everything Chuckaroo said, especially the hating to reload part. With the 650 I can knock out a few hundred rounds of ammo in an hour or so and still have time to go out and USE it. A word about Dillon's no BS warranty. In the years I've owned that 650 I've broken three parts. I broke them, they didn't fail. In all three cases I did something wrong and broke the parts. I called Dillon to order new parts and in all three cases they sent out new parts that same day at no cost to me. When they say no BS, they mean it.

Also, Santa Clause brought me the Dillon shotshell reloader this past Christmas. It came from the factory already set up. All I had to do was adjust the amount of powder and shot it dropped. Once I got those set, it runs every bit as smooth and fast as my 650.

Plus One to Chuckaroo's first post, except I like to reload. If your going to push a large number of rounds for two shooters, for multiple monthly matches and you want ALL the safety bells and whistles, spend the extra bucks and hold out for the 650. I'm really lazy about reloading and whined about caliber changes (it's actually real quick) so my sweetheart got me a second 650 just to shut me up. Gotta love it!! :rolleyes:

Take the offer to "try before you buy" AND call Dillon with your questions. Dillon folks don't try to "up sell" just to make a buck. Great people to deal with.

Coffinmaker

I have four Dillons (2 1050's, 650XL and 550B)and agree 100% with what Slowhand Bob posted.

The 550B is overpriced for what you get. The Hornady Lock-n-Load is a better buy and you do not need tool heads with their system.

Auto-indexing provides an added factor of safety that is an advantage with pistol cases that can be double charged.

Coffin Filler

On the 550 you have to manually rotate the shell plate. On the 650 it rotates itself. On the 650 Dillon sells an automatic powder checker as one last check on the powder measure. Many folks think the 650 extra cost is worth it for this reason alone. Both the 550 and 650 take the same exact dies. Don't over look the SDB loader. It's shell plate rotates automatically like the 650 and will load all pistol caliber rounds. Dies are Dillon proprietary. You can not put a case feeder on a SDB.

When I bought my first Dillon 550, that's what I ordered... there was no 650 or 1050, a short time later, the 550B came out.. I called and asked about upgrading my 550 to the 550B, a few days later the parts arrived for the upgrade, free of charge. Since I was used to loading on a single stage the auto-indexing is immaterial... I can easily push the shell plate around.

About 1994 I bought a Dillon tumbler... their big one... it also came with a lifetime, no BS warranty... about 2 years ago, I left home for two weeks... oops, left the tumbler runnin' full of .45 Colt brass. That was one lot of BRIGHT brass when I got home. But, the tumbler was just hummin', weren't tumbling. A call to Dillon and they said box it up... said they'd send UPS to pick it up, so the next day it left, and returned a week later with a new undercarriage... think, jack up the body on yer ol' clunker and drive a new engine and chassis under it... bolt it up and away you go!

As others have said, I've broke parts and called for a price quote as they ain't listed in the parts guide, and they won't hear of it... new parts arrive by post a few days later. I bought a used 550B that was missing some parts... they shipped those also... just TRY to trick them into charging you for something for your 550B... Won't happen. I've tried.

I use a Dillon 550B for all my large primer reloading and a Lee Turret press for my small primer stuff. I wouldn't trade either of them.

On the 550 I load 10mm, .44 Spl, .44-40, .45 Colt, and .45 ACP. I mostly use Lee dies and Lee's Autodisk powder measures, which work great on a Dillon.

Well I'll speak up on behalf of the SDB, yes it takes special dies and yes it only does pistol caliber ammunition. I have loaded everything from 9mm to 45LC on mine with good result and would have two on the bench if funding and space allowed. With the little tool head devices from Dillon caliber change takes maybe five minutes; changing from large to small primers about the same. Somehow I ended up with three powder bars, two large and one small so the larges are preset to drop charges specifically the 44-40 and 44Spec (both BP)and the small for smokeless which gets changed as needed. I use the SDB for gen purpose loading and leave the short runs for the single stage press like load testing etc.

Rifle rounds are all done on the single stage and I dont load what I'd call "bulk" quantity, 100 rounds at a whack of 30Carbine is about as bulk as it gets though SixGun Swansey and I did pickup a 223 conversion for his 650. Might add a 650 at some point but I'll still keep the reliable little SDB on the bench.

I most often use a 650 with case feeder. LOVE IT! Takes about 10 minutes to change from large to small calibers and it's worth it to have separate tool heads for your change overs. I also use a SD for .45 acp. I have a .380 & 9 mm conversion, but don't have guns in those calibers. Consequently, I don't know what it's like to change one over. For shotshells, I bought a progressive Hornady 366 with a bunch of extras for $150 and it does a decent job. I personally like auto indexing and loading in less time.

Had a 550 and a 650. The 650 is set up for Small pistol primers and the 550 for large. I finaly sold the 550 and bought another 650 set up large pistol primers. I dont mind reloading, but there are a bunch of other things I would rather be doing.

The caliber change out on a 550 including changing from large to small primers is faster than a 650. You will make up the extra time spent changing the the set up on a 650 very quickly.

A powder check die is a must.

A 550 and a 650 will use any standard die. Some of the older Lee dies are short, you can over come that by putting locking ring under the the tool head.

If you can swing a 650 get it, if you need to wait and save up the 650 I believe you will find it worth it.

I have loaded on Lee and Hornady machines, I like the Dillon product the best.

. OH and do not ferget to dump some powder after every missed stroke or there will be a big bang at the old shooting range next weekend.

What The ?

That statement does not compute!

I've loaded on a 550 for over 30 years and never had that problem.

Besides the 550 is great for newbies, manual indexing has it advantages, such as the ability to go backwards, if you don't have a primer alarm, or powder alarm; and you run out, or when the bullet slips out of your fingers and lands sideways and you crush your brass.

Buying a Dillon is like buying a gunsafe, buy a bigger,better, more expensive one than you think you will need, and you will be glad you did.

Twenty years after my 550 I bought mt first 1050 and kicked myself for waiting soooooo long. The 1050 rocks!

But the 1050 sucks on caliber conversions. The toolheads are very expensive and it is timeconsuming to change out. The 550 is best for that, quite simple and cheap.

I second Brian Enos web site.

Good Luck

brianenos.com is awesome. For me it's got to be a 650. had a brand new 1050,and was not impressed for the extra money. sent it back. Not to say you won't break or wear out a few things over the years but Dillon will do ya right. Fact is if you reload alot there is NOTHING better. Personally I have seen more double charges from 550 users and like the added safety of auto indexing on the 650.

Archived